Are you scared? : (

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

I think I read in a previous post of yours that the landlady locked the building doors so nobody could enter/exit. Blocking egress from a building is a clear violation of fire code. From the exchanges you've described, I could also believe the landlady's behavior rises to the level of a felony. The police are always happy to stop felonies.

True -- Someone should definitely also contact the fire department

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

What I heard on NPR was Trump saying he "hopes" to start things back up by Easter. In two weeks, we'll have a much better idea where Italy and the rest of the world are headed, and who we're tracking most closely. If that doesn't look good, I imagine Trump going day-to-day in considering flipping the switch back on. Making a mistake that requires a massive backtrack is not in his best interests.

"It's an Easter miracle! This proves that I am the Chosen One!" Supporters: "Hail, Trump!"

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"It's an Easter miracle! This proves that I am the Chosen One!" Supporters: "Hail, Trump!"

We'll know in a month. If the religious activities of the South Korean Shincheonji church are a harbinger, there will be some interesting public discussions ahead. I'd like to think that reckless behavior in service of "belief" will sort itself out, but belief might be more virulent than COVID-19.

ETA: I should point out that the beliefs in play here are a mix of faith in the goodness of something supernatural, and faith in the badness of government and/or science. I really can't say which of those is the prime mover.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I think I read in a previous post of yours that the landlady locked the building doors so nobody could enter/exit. Blocking egress from a building is a clear violation of fire code. From the exchanges you've described, I could also believe the landlady's behavior rises to the level of a felony. The police are always happy to stop felonies.

Yes, it was locked.  I spoke with the front office on Monday and it's unlocked now.  However, this is her current order and she does order "anyone leaving the building will not be let back in - that's it!"  And, that is pretty much an exact quote as of yesterday.   She's unlocked the door but that's it...we cannot go through it though because if we do we cannot come back inside this building.  There is a back entrance too but it has a gate too.  

Just let me give it a few more days because I don't want to hear any more threats.  

I just want to be tested for this virus.  I really do.  I think some of this may subside if I could be tested and have gloves and mask to go to the store, the doctor, etc.  But, that is wishful thinking currently.  

Edited by FairreLilette

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

Yes, it was locked.  I spoke with the front office on Monday and it's unlocked now.  However, this is her current order and she does order "anyone leaving the building will not be let back in - that's it!"  And, that is pretty much an exact quote as of yesterday.   She's unlocked the door but that's it...we cannot go through it though.  There is a actually a front entrance with lobby, and a back entrance with a parking lot and a locked gate which is really for cars to go in and out of.  

Just let me give it a few more days because I don't want to hear any more threats.  

I just want to be tested for this virus.  I really do.  I think some of this may subside if I could be tested and have gloves and mask to go to the store, the doctor, etc.  But, that is wishful thinking currently.

Even the threat of "don't leave the building" can be considered a felony.

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Even the threat of "don't leave the building" can be considered a felony.

I know.  I know, Madelaine.  It's called false imprisonment.  I don't want to take that on at this time.  That's a pretty big deal. 

So, I'm giving it a little time...but like I said...not a lot of time.  A few days. 

Why no tests?  This is really making me upset that there are no tests nor any gloves or masks for shoppers or people going to the doctor. 

32 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I know.  I know, Madelaine.  It's called false imprisonment.  I don't want to take that on at this time.  That's a pretty big deal. 

So, I'm giving it a little time...but like I said...not a lot of time.  A few days. 

Why no tests?  This is really making me upset that there are no tests nor any gloves or masks for shoppers or people going to the doctor. 

Okay my last post...I am seriously concerned for your health here, so, politeness be damned, out the window she goes.

Yes there may be a test shortage, but the main reason YOU, personally, wouldn't be tested, is because you won't use your legal right to leave your own home and go out and get treatment.  Even if a specific test isn't available for you, and it's probably not let's face facts, personally, your health cannot and will not get an iota better until and unless you put YOU first.

Please, stop with the "in a few more days" stuff, please. What if you suddenly, or even slowly, get worse, and "a few more days" becomes "too late". I hate to be so morbid, but...I mean, this is a reality, if you're still feeling poorly for this long, something is seriously amiss and it needs attention yesterday, not a week from next month. It could be any number of things, and most of them are actually pretty damn serious and not to be taken lightly.  It doesn't matter what she says, really, she can find a rusty spork, sharpen it, sit, and spin...her words literally mean nothing at all, she cannot enforce those words and SHE actually knows it (trust me, she knows, lol).  Please don't be so afraid of them you're willing to do harm to yourself.

When I got sick, a cold mind you, I did the "it'll get better, I'll wait a few days" dance, for a week, by the end of the week I was in the ER nearly dead (with things far worse than a cold). I'm going to be super blunt, because I have to, but...don't be me, don't be stupid.  I'm certain your presence, your very essence would be missed by so many...it's worth pissing off your landlady for one day to ensure you get to stick around. 

My cranky self is peaking her head out, and my typos are a plenty, so, really I'm gonna leave this thread now. I've typed too many replies here and deleted them just today alone.  I clearly need a self imposed timeout. 

• Like 9

Fairre, this person is endangering you, is making credible threats of committing a serious offense against you.

Trust me on this, there is not a cop on any police force in the world who would not much rather you called now and let them sort the situation rather than them turning up on the blue lights after it escalates.

At this point you do actually need their help, and they need to know about the situation.

Every single emergency responder will tell you the same thing. I volunteered for my local RNLI station many years ago and there is one thing you never forget, it's that look you share, without saying a word, where the whole crew has that nasty cold feeling that "we might have been called too late on this one... " I saw the same look from time to time in the eyes of the cops and paramedics who were my martial arts students when I lived in the US too. Like them, I didn't say a word either, but I damn well knew that look.

People often think "I'll get through this" or "I can handle this" or "This isn't serious enough to bother them with." All too often they are wrong. Please don't be one of those people. There is not an emergency responder on this planet who would not rather get 10 shouts where they weren't really needed than one where the "bad stuff" has already happened.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Seriously? Doctors, nurses, and other medical workers are dying because they don’t have masks and gloves etc. to protect them and you wonder why there are none for shoppers? Do you not follow the news at all?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Do you not follow the news at all?

We all watch the news, but most of us have also been outside to walk the dog or run an essential errand or something. I wonder: If I hadn't been outside at all, would I have any feel for how much the world has changed? It's eery out there. Like where are the zombies eery.

Like kids will tell their grandchildren about living through this.

I'm worried about Fairre. And Kanry. Hoping all will be well

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Yeah I'm scared.   I work within 2 to 3 feet of people for 12 hours a night,  They offer no sick leave, they are not shutting down even if ordered too,  they telling us to suck it up.   I'm stuck, so I'll be getting sick at some point (it's just a matter of time)

Quit.

No, I'm serious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Seriously? Doctors, nurses, and other medical workers are dying because they don’t have masks and gloves etc. to protect them and you wonder why there are none for shoppers? Do you not follow the news at all?

I only heard of one death of a doctor but I have been reading about the shortages.  What I read earlier is grocery store workers are now testing positive for coronavirus and grocery stores are the number #1 "hotspot" being looked into right now.

Yes, shoppers and those going to the stores and the doctors need protective gear too...that in no way means I think it can happen any time soon.  But, we better change our supply system and start changing it every day going forward.  

1 hour ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Fairre, this person is endangering you, is making credible threats of committing a serious offense against you.

Trust me on this, there is not a cop on any police force in the world who would not much rather you called now and let them sort the situation rather than them turning up on the blue lights after it escalates.

At this point you do actually need their help, and they need to know about the situation.

Every single emergency responder will tell you the same thing. I volunteered for my local RNLI station many years ago and there is one thing you never forget, it's that look you share, without saying a word, where the whole crew has that nasty cold feeling that "we might have been called too late on this one... " I saw the same look from time to time in the eyes of the cops and paramedics who were my martial arts students when I lived in the US too. Like them, I didn't say a word either, but I damn well knew that look.

And, to David and all of you...thanks...but my sister and I are in talks right now with messaging back and forth.  We need a bit of time to make a plan here.  

Fairre...

Yes, grocery stores (and doctors' offices!) are places where you can pick up the infection.  But there are things you can do to minimize the risk:

• Wear a bandanna or a scarf and rubber gloves.  No gloves?  borrow a few poop bags from anyone who owns a dog.  Put them over your hands. (Put some on your shopping list too, they are way cheaper than gloves).
  • Do not touch your face until you have returned home and washed your hands
  • Keep at least 6 feet away from other people.
  • If you're really worried, unpack your groceries outside your front door.  Leave the packaging out there. (Go throw it away when you've unpacked of course).
  • When done handling your purchases, remove the gloves.  If they are of a reusable sort, wash them first with soap and hot water...then take them off.
  • Wash hands thoroughly.
  • If you're really worried, or if you have unavoidably been close to someone, change your clothes.  Throw the shopping clothes directly in the washer.  You can take a hot shower with lots of soap too.  (However, most advice I've read says that these measures probably are not necessary.  I include them, in case they'll add to your peace of mind.)
  • Organize a shopping round robin with your neighbors.  Everyone submits a list, and a different person goes out each time to buy stuff for everyone.
  • Another option is online grocery shopping.  Walmart, Target, and Amazon Whole Foods will all deliver (but check to see if they are available in your area; Amazon is not available where I live.)
  • If you are in an "at risk" group (immunocompromised, existing condition like heart disease, diabetes, COPD, or you're over 60) try to have someone else do your shopping for you.
Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Fairre...

Yes, grocery stores (and doctors' offices!) are places where you can pick up the infection.  But there are things you can do to minimize the risk:

• Wear a bandanna or a scarf and rubber gloves.  No gloves?  borrow a few poop bags from anyone who owns a dog.  Put them over your hands. (Put some on your shopping list too, they are way cheaper than gloves).
  • If you're really worried, unpack your groceries outside your front door.  Leave the packaging out there. (Go throw it away when you've unpacked of course).
  • When done handling your purchases, remove the gloves.  If they are of a reusable sort, wash them first with soap and hot water...then take them off.
  • Wash hands thoroughly.
  • If you're really worried, or if you have unavoidably been close to someone, change your clothes.  Throw the shopping clothes directly in the washer.  You can take a hot shower with lots of soap too.  (However, most advice I've read says that these measures probably are not necessary.  I include them, in case they'll add to your peace of mind.)
  • Organize a shopping round robin with your neighbors.  Everyone submits a list, and a different person goes out each time to buy stuff for everyone.
  • Another option is online grocery shopping.  Walmart, Target, and Amazon Whole Foods will all deliver (but check to see if they are available in your area; Amazon is not available where I live.)
  • If you are in an "at risk" group (immunocompromised, existing condition like heart disease, diabetes, COPD, or you're over 60) try to have someone else do your shopping for you.

I thought about the bandanna and I have my own hand sanitizer.   

I need some rest...it's been a lot to handle with this imposed lock in / no way out ordeal I've been going through.  Don't let it become your problem. 

We do need to change the supply of protective gear now and forever so it includes everyone.  Perhaps in other flu or virus outbreaks we may have finally learned we can stay healthier working together with measures we've all learned from this such as far, far greater stockpiles of protective gear and hand sanitizer.    

Take care of yourselves too!   My sister is always very helpful and is a school teacher.  She knows emergency procedures and what we should do here.  Stay calm first and then work our plan.  

This is a good list...I miss my printer right now!  I'm sure my sister has similar.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Fairre...

• Wash hands thoroughly.

I would add one thing, for those like me who are going to touch their faces no matter what: after you put your gloves on, spray them or apply sanitizer. Because you could be picking up virus on the gloves.

Also, the advice now is to not touch deliveries for 24 hrs, tho for refrigerated things you must just disinfect them. I suppose you could do that with everything. Then trash the packaging. 

Today I allowed my diabetic copd husband to go get a Whataburger using the drive through. I grilled him on how he would avoid contamination, and I think he finally gets it: DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OR GET NEAR ANYONE. He even put on gloves without a reminder. It was like sending a kindergartner off to the first day of school. 

in New Zealand tonight, we are going to Level 4 isolation which means everywhere is shut down except for essential services  for the next four weeks. I just got a phone txt  from the Civil Defense Service which is coordinating all of this. The txt goes out to all phones in national emergencies like this.  It asks us to be be sensible, be careful, be safe and we will get thru it together

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

ETA: I should point out that the beliefs in play here are a mix of faith in the goodness of something supernatural, and faith in the badness of government and/or science. I really can't say which of those is the prime mover.

If someone were to believe in God, why not believe that Science was revealed to Man by God? Fools!

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If someone were to believe in God, why not believe that Science was revealed to Man by God? Fools!

I know more than one brilliant research scientist who finds their work deepening their faith as they see more and more of the hidden beauty of their creator's work....

Faith (ANY faith) and science are not incompatible, unless you try to dip a brush into one of them and paint over the other. That new color never sticks....

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.