Why track other users camera?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1573 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am genuinely curious why what seems like everyone is using this tweak where the viewer will display a crosshair where other users camera is locked in at. I bring this up because today I was accused of spying on someone when I was doing nothing of the sort. Supposedly my crosshair appeared on their avatar from the next room over. However, I was afk at the time that this happened and I didn't even have my hands on the computer - let alone zooming in my camera on anyone. So the system is obviously bugged in some way. I've also had IM's from people  in the past with comments like "dont look at me", while I was standing only a few ft away. Why?

Why care where someone is looking? Are we so self conscious we need to know what everyone else is looking at, even when it is totally within their right and innocent most of the time. We create our avatars so that others can look at them appreciate them, or just, you know LOOK and see who it is.

Edited by James Samiam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SL Photographers will use that function while helping someone get set up for a shot. As for other uses, I am sure someone else will pipe up.

Yes, the function can be (and is) used by drama mongers but honestly all that does is tell you who to ignore. Ditto for those who may have the function turned on and cannot be arsed to figure out what the varied colors and behaviors actually mean ....

For example (using Firestorm) a grey LookAt target is passive/default and often jumps to the closest "speaking" avatar. This means it can do so even when you are AFK.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

For example (using Firestorm) a grey LookAt target is passive/default and often jumps to the closest "speaking" avatar. This means it can do so even when you are AFK.

This explains what happened to me today. Thank you for clearing that up! I've never used the tool myself. It just seems bothersome and it's ugly to look at to boot.

Edited by James Samiam

Just now, James Samiam said:

This explains what happened to me today. Thank you for clearing that up! I've never used the tool myself. It just seems bothersome and it's ugly to look at to boot.

Not a problem.

In a rather crowded place it certainly can be a bit ... "busy" to put it mildly.

• Like 1

Lock your Camera crosshair on them, block them and go afk.

I personally block the camera information sent, so nobody can see where I look. B4 that I had to fire an unpolite comment plus blocking from time to time. But it's not worth to waste time on that.

The people don't have the intelectual capacity to interpret what they see usually. I use one avatar or object as anchor and hook my camera on - then swing the camera around that anchor and look into the direction that i want to watch. So It doesn't mean anything where the crosshair is. Besides of that - If I want to look over an avatar I will do that and will not care if they like it or not. LOL

• Like 3

I know you can do this. I've never done it. I've never had anyone complain that I'm looking at them, and oh lord, I sure could. Look? Heck I click on people if I want to know what hair they have on or something! About a year or two ago I got a gadget that will scan an avatar to find out what they are wearing, so I'm more subtle about it, LoL. I guess I don't hang out at the exciting sims where people scream "Don't look at me!" I'm assuming those are the same folks who have the notice, in all CAPS, on their profile that if you mess with them so-and-so is going to beat you up. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Used to be a hidden feature you had to enebale in advanced (12 years ago or so? Torley did a vid). As someone posted at the time it falls under HDLU (High-Drama, Low-Usefulness) Technology™ .

Easy enough to switch off in TPVs so never bothered about it.

edit to change : vid not bid

Edited by sirhc DeSantis
edit to change : vid not bid
  • Like 2

I've tried deliberately staring at people to see if they respond and I've turned it on in hopes of catching someone looking but nothing happens! I do tend to always click and rotate my camera around people to make them rez properly. But I agree that it's strange to not want people to look. 

There are multiple types of Lookat Targets.

The one mentioned in the OP was most likely the avatar's eye target. It's automatic and focuses directly on random avatars even when you're afk. On Firestorm, the color is grey by default.

Then there's the blue "mouse point" target. It shows up when your camera isn't locked on anything and you move your mouse over the screen, like tweaking your inventory or operating HUDs.

And lastly the obvious pink alt-cam target, which shows up where your camera is focused.

All of these can be disabled (they only show up because your viewer is telling others about your targets), except the eye-focus I'm not sure about.

Anyway, I keep these visible because I'm too curious not to. Some people are just too curious for their own good, though. I also like the idea of making my own camera visible to even those who have these settings disabled, by having an object follow my camera's position around. I think the complaints would be more justified at least...

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

1 hour ago, James Samiam said:

I am genuinely curious why what seems like everyone is using this tweak where the viewer will display a crosshair where other users camera is locked in at. I bring this up because today I was accused of spying on someone when I was doing nothing of the sort. Supposedly my crosshair appeared on their avatar from the next room over. However, I was afk at the time that this happened and I didn't even have my hands on the computer - let alone zooming in my camera on anyone. So the system is obviously bugged in some way. I've also had IM's from people  in the past with comments like "dont look at me", while I was standing only a few ft away. Why?

Why care where someone is looking? Are we so self conscious we need to know what everyone else is looking at, even when it is totally within their right and innocent most of the time. We create our avatars so that others can look at them appreciate them, or just, you know LOOK and see who it is.

Hi James! What a nice surprise seeing you here!

I actually get why being accused of "ogling" or whatever can be upsetting. I can't remember it ever happening to me, but I wonder if maybe women are less likely to be accused of this? I have very occasionally used this feature myself, largely for the sake of entertainment when I'm in a crowded club and a little bored: it's amusing to watch the crosshairs skitter around the crowd. And I've noticed (probably unsurprisingly) that having someone's crosshairs focused on my is often the precursor to an IM. Getting upset that someone is looking at you is bizarrely stupid, when you think about it.

As Nova mentioned above, you can actually set your preferences in Firestorm so that your own camming isn't visible. I wouldn't worry about it, though: anyone who is getting upset about it is probably not worth your bother.

If someone is saying something about it, they’re being dramatic. I remember one time I got into it with a woman on voice because I dared to cam the interesting shoes she had on. In the ten seconds it took me to cam, she was already “Everybody wants to be me...blah, blah,blah.”

On the other hand, some people do lock onto you for a uncomfortable period of time. That is a little weird too, it’s just not weird enough for me to say something to them, because I feel like it’ll turn into “I wasn’t looking at you!” Gaslighting.

The crosshair colors mean something I believe. Like grey=idle, etc

1 hour ago, James Samiam said:

The entire scenario makes me laugh. People have that turned on so they can see when others alt-click on them, yet those using firestorm who are paranoid of others alt-clicking on them also have theirs turned off so other cannot see when they, themselves, alt-click on people.

I leave mine turned on (that others can see what I alt-click on them). If they get pissy with me and complain, I usually reply "Well, you can stop me by teleporting out of the region. Otherwise, how does it harm you in any way?" I don't use igognito mod  because if you have yours monitoring.turned on, then I want you to know I'm alt-clicking you. OH! And if you wear clickies set to allow anyone (such as girl or boy bits, etc.) I will click them if I'm in a mischievous mood. If you done't like that, you should detach them or set them to white-list or owner-only.

If you wear one of those annoying titles that spams chat asking for anyone to set your title? I will set it to something you don't like. I have to laugh when I do that and they complain to me about it. Sometimes, throwing that crapola back into their lap is amazingly entertaining.

Edited by Alyona Su

3 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

If you wear one of those annoying titles that spams chat asking for anyone to set your title? I will set it to something you don't like. I have to laugh when I do that and they they complain to me about it. Sometimes, throwing that crapola back into their lap is amazingly entertaining.

Evil titlers are still a thing? Brilliant. I used to set them to "AFK, m*****bating". 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I know you can do this. I've never done it. I've never had anyone complain that I'm looking at them, and oh lord, I sure could. Look? Heck I click on people if I want to know what hair they have on or something! 

I stopped doing this when I accidentally triggered someone's spanker and it was announced to all and sundry that I'd spanked a complete stranger on the ass. She was cool about it but I was completely mortified.

Wouldn't have minded if it was a cute guy. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Evil titlers are still a thing? Brilliant. I used to set them to "AFK, m*****bating". 

I only know one person who still wears one, haven't seen another in years. This guy I know is a bit like Orwar, all dark and stuff, so I like to set it to "Kawaii!!!!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I don't turn crosshairs on because it will only confirm the awful truth that no one is looking at me. If I'm going to cam around, I'll anchor the camera to some inanimate object or use flycam because I don't want to be the one to set off the drama bomb. Why are you targeting me! Stop targeting me! 

I alt-cam off of anything handy, definitely including avatars standing in the way, which must be indistinguishable from a steady stare. If anybody was ever bothered by it, they never complained to me. Must be my intimidating avatar.

This feature is only really useful for viewer debugging, specifically the way eyes are supposed to track the cam view (unless the cam tracking data is disabled). And for drama, obviously.

I admit I have one as curious when I host who is watching me as normally looking at stage; LOL!  Otherwise I am not bothered if you look at me, it happens but not end of world. 

Okay; anyone else hear; look at me, I'm Sandra Dee? No? just me, never mind! :D 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1573 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.