Where's my free Bakes-on-Mesh avatar update?

Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

43 minutes ago, MrsSeren said:

Am I one the few who really don't care about this BoM thing in slightest and is gonna carry on her merry catnip snorting ways? :D 

Nope, I suspect you are far more like most who don't actually care. Although I also suspect that of those that don't care, many don't because, as was already explained, no one at LL knows how to explain a gol darn thing without being convoluted and speaking in riddles. So, most probably don't care, because it's about as clear as a snail's crap in frozen molasses. 

(they're not even GOOD riddles, ugh)

I also can't read this gobbledy*****, irrelevant as that may be. 

I am mostly only interested in BOM, because I can actually work with it, as in, I have been working on applier like thing for a long time, having discovered some time ago that my dwindling vision was going to make creating meshes as close to impossible as one can reasonably get. At this point, it actually is impossible, but applier style things, system layers......I can work with this, for now. So, BOM, while it is...you know, I don't even know what to call this, convoluted doesn't seem quite right, but..I digress...annoying and confusing and everything else under the sun, is going to be something that helps bring back a bit of life to my own creating capabilities. It'll do it in the same fashion that going back to making system things, and appliers did when I broke my own heart with my inability to work with the medium I wanted to the most.  Even if it takes a few years to be fully adopted and optimized, ( I suspect it'll take a wee bit less, how much, dunno...we gotta see this play out). it's going to take me I while to get things done others can get done much faster. The only real difference now in my creating, is that despite it taking me ages to do something.....I can still actually do it. Mesh isn't an option for me (building from scratch I mean, I can texture the hell out of it, but that's boring and does not fulfill my need to create 😛 ) 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I am sure you will have plenty of company for the next few years at least. ;)

17 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Nope, I suspect you are far more like most who don't actually care. Although I also suspect that of those that don't care, many don't because, as was already explained, no one at LL knows how to explain a gol darn thing without being convoluted and speaking in riddles. So, most probably don't care, because it's about as clear as a snail's crap in frozen molasses. 

(they're not even GOOD riddles, ugh)

I also can't read this gobbledy*****, irrelevant as that may be. 

I am mostly only interested in BOM, because I can actually work with it, as in, I have been working on applier like thing for a long time, having discovered some time ago that my dwindling vision was going to make creating meshes as close to impossible as one can reasonably get. At this point, it actually is impossible, but applier style things, system layers......I can work with this, for now. So, BOM, while it is...you know, I don't even know what to call this, convoluted doesn't seem quite right, but..I digress...annoying and confusing and everything else under the sun, is going to be something that helps bring back a bit of life to my own creating capabilities. It'll do it in the same fashion that going back to making system things, and appliers did when I broke my own heart with my inability to work with the medium I wanted to the most.  Even if it takes a few years to be fully adopted and optimized, ( I suspect it'll take a wee bit less, how much, dunno...we gotta see this play out). it's going to take me I while to get things done others can get done much faster. The only real difference now in my creating, is that despite it taking me ages to do something.....I can still actually do it. Mesh isn't an option for me (building from scratch I mean, I can texture the hell out of it, but that's boring and does not fulfill my need to create 😛 ) 

Thanks, made me feel better so can resume being happy kitteh nip head as I am! :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

It didn't, and neither did my Hourglass Bundle redelivery. The Physique body-only installer just gave me that folder, the bundle gave me a near-identical main folder and a separate one for the asymmetry harness.

(Side note: that asymmetry harness is a fantastic idea, definite plus points for that!)

I've unpacked Physique female bodies both early this morning and right now, and a male bundle pack. In all cases I was given a folder containing a HUD to deliver the "Classic" version.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I can see BOM being good for things like makeup and tattoo's and skins..But the system clothes would still need something to give them depth wouldn't they?

If I put on a system outfit I have in my inventory ,it's just going to wrap my body rather than cover it ,isn't it?

That is true, they do just wrap the body and you can see nipples poking out etc. Which is why the Slink body HUD has settings to overcome those issues, and I imagine now that any other mesh bodies updating to BOM will have to offer the same features. I don't know how much preparation for BOM the various creators have been doing. As for depth, as in the past that will depend on the texturing skills of the creator.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I often wear the Slink Physique body, so I got a redelivery and tried out the Redux version.  I thought it was very cool.  I recently bought a new skin which did come with a system version, so the skin part wasn't an issue for me.  I also have a lot of clothing where standard sizes and an alpha were included in the package, and for many I've saved those (or I can re-unpack or get a re-delivery).  For many of the appliers I have for extra coverage under skimpy clothes, system layers were included as well, so I don't think that I have a lot of appliers that will no longer work.  I didn't have much time in world to try on clothing, but the few clothing items that I did try on worked really well with the alpha that had come with them, so I am looking forward to being able to try this out more fully later on this evening.  I am excited so far - for me, I like the thought of going back to wearing an alpha rather than having to fiddle with alpha cuts on a HUD.   

I don't think I will be wearing the Redux version with BOM out and about though until the FS viewer has updated for BOM, and more people are likely to be using viewers that are BOM capable.

• Like 3

I just briefly tried Slink Physique body (with petite breast).

First impressions were wow... so empowering feeling being able to change skin and add clothes\underwear using the old system layers. It seems to work beautifully except the feet. Maybe that is the skin I was using but they had harsh lines down them where the texture was just wrong. I haven't read any of the instructions so maybe there is a fix for that.

My other big impression was just how awkward the Linden viewer is. I can't open up the slink profile on it to get my hands redelivered (I bought them prior to their redelivery system), I just get an error message. I wouldn't swap avatars even if it was all working if it meant going back to the linden viewer.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Roguerie said:

So.. it's possible that BOM may force the creator of Maitreya Mesh Body to come out of the cave.. deep in the belly of the Earth to finally update this thing ? I don't know why I find this funny.

I would love an update just for the fact the HUD seizes up almost every day. Nothing works, until i detach, relog and attach it again.
While i still like the body itself, especially because of the vast amount of clothes, i gave up on maitreya hairs completely. Or did they manage to reduce the renderweight from around 30K to maybe 5K?

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

I would love an update just for the fact the HUD seizes up almost every day. Nothing works, until i detach, relog and attach it again.
While i still like the body itself, especially because of the vast amount of clothes, i gave up on maitreya hairs completely. Or did they manage to reduce the renderweight from around 30K to maybe 5K?

Will there be an update tho.. ? lol that body hasn't updated in forever. I just think only BOM could literally be the only thing to force the creator to do anything at all. Only to avoid losing to other mesh bodies who have been updating and keeping up with SL. I have given up on Maitreya, not just because I feel absolutely generic and boring wearing it (this is personal, not an attack on its other users) but because it's so limiting in options compared to other mesh bodies now with BOM, even more so.  I feel really happy I've moved on a while ago but I'm curious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roguerie said:

So.. it's possible that BOM may force the creator of Maitreya Mesh Body to come out of the cave.. deep in the belly of the Earth to finally update this thing ? I don't know why I find this funny.

What I would find funnier, would be if the creators of the Legacy body were forced to do a free update.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Everyone's basically wearing 3 mesh bodies (not counting the legacy body). With BOM, you only need one. I'm pretty sure, that's going to have a significant impact on the sim's streaming load, especially with high visitor flux.

Even with my onion layers, I am still around 1/6th of the ARC of most people I see around.  I am not expecting that to change any time soon.

10 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I've unpacked Physique female bodies both early this morning and right now, and a male bundle pack. In all cases I was given a folder containing a HUD to deliver the "Classic" version.

It turns out if you wait for the first folder delivery notification and then remove the HUD, you miss out on the other two folders scripted to arrive a couple of seconds later. Whoops, my mistake, sorry team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think, relatively speaking, my own needs are relatively simple. I don't wear tattoos, or any sort of "special effects."

But I do use underwear and clothing appliers. A lot. In fact, probably about a third or more of my fairly extensive list of outfits rely on some form of applier clothing -- tees, camisoles, sweaters, jeans, leggings, etc. And that's because "layering" -- or even finding a pair of jeans that will work well with a particular top -- often requires applier clothing.

The bolded part: You are almost as old as me in SL. Unless you have deleted your old clothes, tattoos, makeups, hairbases etc. that we used before mesh bodies, you can now have a blast with them. I am looking forward to use my fatpack of Zaara leggings again. Plus, I can layer things that used up the onion layers. I can use skins without freckles and add on a freckles layer. Then body hair... and so on. I still haven't used any applier layers. Then I put on a set of Zaara pants and a bra from Insolence. Still no use of appliers. No alpha clash between the previous layers and lace on the bra... The bra does not make my freckles disappear!

I can then put on an applier camisole over the bra and only let the lace edge show over the camisole, with absolutely no layer issue or clipping. I can then wear the hair with alpha in the fine, thin strands and let it hang over my body, no alpha clipping. (Disclaimer: if your mesh applier or wearable clothing uses an alpha channel, you will still have the alpha clashing between hair and appliers/wearable mesh.) The hair looks perfect, as it should be, because the alpha clash issue is reduced greatly. Then I can put on my wearable mesh jacket, boots and skirt, and be fully dressed.

I have utilized the avatar possibilities, before I was limited to using appliers carefully, to avoid alpha clipping.

Changing the way the BoM layers are stacked, is done in edit outfit in appearance, choose a layer and click up or down arrows. No need to find appliers and apply again to change layer, or switch appliers, toggle layers to mask etc.

So, as I understand it -- and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me! -- if I choose to update my Slink mesh body to the new BoM compatible one, that content, all of those outfits, are now "broken." The new body has only the one layer, for tattoos (I think, if I'm getting this right), so there's nowhere to put those old applier clothes.

Edit: No, when I got the redelivery I found out that there is NO LAYERS for Slink. This means that everything I said about "one layer for appliers" is invalid for this body and this release. Maybe other bodies will let 1 onion layer remain.

I would use the applier clothes on the one layer, and use tattoos directly on the default body. As long as it is one onion layer, you can apply something on it. The obvious is clothing layer, since other things like tattoos should be baked in the skin itself, not float over it.

I'm sure that some of the more prominent makers of that applier clothing will quickly(?) produce new system layer versions, but a lot of the smaller makers, who may not even be active anymore, won't. And I highly doubt that the applier clothing will be replaced with a "free upgrade" -- I'll be buying whole new sets of tops, pants, and bottoms.

Yes, this is partly true.But unless you need to wear two or more applier layers the same time, this will not be so expensive. I can see the tattoo wearers suffer more from this, than others. They need BoM tattoo layers, or else that single layer is taken, they can not wear clothes appliers because of that. You are actually lucky in that aspect.

And what about those outfits that are mesh, but that include applier components? I don't have a lot of those, but there are a few.

You can use the applier on the one layer, that's still provided. If it used several layers the same time, then you can't use it, unless an update to BoM.

How will my new system skin for my BoM-compatible body work with the skin for my head, which may still be using an applier? No one here has talked about mesh heads, but I assume that they're going to need to get on board as well. Not to mention other body parts: I currently use a Slink body, but Vista hands. So, if mesh heads go BoM compatible, I'll also be tossing a whole lot of makeup and hair base appliers.

BoM will be used on mesh heads. Maybe @Skell Daggercan tell about the future for BoM and Catwa. Catwa heads have just had a major upgrade, but as I understand it, no BoM. Still, BoM works on Catwa with the Omega support mentioned previously. No alpha issue with system layer hairbases, where you had a thin white line with the built in hairbases on layer slots. You can now wear more makeup in the same area. I mention the eyes area: Eyes makeup, eyeliner, eyebrows, a facial scar or zombie effect over (Hello, Halloween). You can now use all of these in one place, and many more. No need to worry about alpha clipping and switching applier slots, turning them on and off, etc.

In theory, Slink is doing this "right" by issuing an update that doesn't include the extra onion layers: the point of this whole exercise is rendered at least partly moot if everyone is still wearing complex mesh bodies and heads with multiple layers.

Some people will happy wear BoM on layers with the Omega work-around on their onion avatars. This way they keep it all, but the mesh body parts is not lighter on the system. Using same resources as before.

But it's going to be a while before I switch over to the new body, for the simple reason that doing so immediately will wipe out a really healthy proportion of my wardrobe.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends upon what you already have, and what can be used again.

ETA: Forgot to mention the fact that, with alpha cuts gone(?) -- or so it appears from the Slink Redux video that Qie has provided -- residents are going to have start creating their own alpha layers for mesh clothing? Really????

No, there are lots of free alpha layers sets on the Marketplace. Many clothing items use similar alpha layers, like jeans/pants. The only different thing is the waist height. And for your old inventory, if you kept it, you have the alpha layers. All mesh wearable clothes that include standard sizes, have alpha layers. If you deleted this, you can get a redelivery where that is possible.

To sum it up, I think that when news spread about the alpha layer clashing issue that's gone, BoM will suddenly be popular.

There are some old issues that will be carried over. Bra straps and camisole straps can look uneven or blurry. I think this is more due to a lower quality on the textures. Maybe. It has always been a hit or miss with system layer clothing.

I hope someone correct me if I made any honest mistakes.

Edited by Marianne Little
Typos and grammar errors, and to clarify my points

1 hour ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

For me Refresh attachments usually works when that happens. I don't know whether that function is in the Official Viewer, but it is in FireStorm, under the avatar menu -> Avatar Health. That function also helps when your body seems detached to others, but you can see it normally and cannot detach it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, lavalois said:

That function also helps when your body seems detached to others, but you can see it normally and cannot detach it.

Thats quite the issue i have, but just with the maitreya HUD itself. Its not working and i cant detach it, until i relog.
Thank you. Will try as soon as it acts up again.

11 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Thats quite the issue i have, but just with the maitreya HUD itself. Its not working and i cant detach it, until i relog.

Unfortunately for you, I don't think your experience is typical.  It certainly isn't for me and I don't see many people complaining about this in the in world shopping groups where a lot of Maitreya users chat.  The Maitreya HUD has been one of my most reliable HUDs and I use it all the time.  I know it doesn't help you much but at least it gives you hope that you can eventually discover why it is doing for you and maybe resolve it.

The detach issue is something else, that happens when SL is not working very well for me and happens on lots of attachments, not just HUDs.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Thanks 1

The more script-heavy a hud is, in my experience, the more likely it is to be affected by the detach bug, and the Maitreya one is *very* script-heavy.

Though that causing the detach bug to happen more often might just be confirmation bias. I don't know for sure yet.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Unfortunately for you, I don't think your experience is typical.  It certainly isn't for me and I don't see many people complaining about this in the in world shopping groups where a lot of Maitreya users chat.  The Maitreya HUD has been one of my most reliable HUDs and I use it all the time.  I know it doesn't help you much but at least it gives you hope that you can eventually discover why it is doing for you and maybe resolve it.

The detach issue is something else, that happens when SL is not working very well for me and happens on lots of attachments, not just HUDs.

I've had the same issue with the HUD earlier this week, after which I tried this solution, which fortunately helped for me. I could not figure out what caused the issue though.

The issue with bodies becoming invisible for others happens with almost all body brands, and is caused by wearing 2 or more attachments on avatar center. It's easily avoided by attaching the body on another attachment point which is not used. The bodies are rigger after all, and it does not matter which attachment point they are attached to. I believe my Maitreya body is attached to the tail tip attachment point with me...

46 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

I get that occasionally with several different huds, particulatly the really complex ones like Catwa. I think it's a SL issue, not Maitreya-specific.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

I get that occasionally with several different huds, particulatly the really complex ones like Catwa. I think it's a SL issue, not Maitreya-specific.

It started to happen suddenly, and its just the maitreya hud. None of the other few HUDs i have attached constantly acts up the same way.
Well, might be worth a try to get a redelivery!?

42 minutes ago, lavalois said:

I've had the same issue with the HUD earlier this week, after which I tried this solution, which fortunately helped for me. I could not figure out what caused the issue though.

The issue with bodies becoming invisible for others happens with almost all body brands, and is caused by wearing 2 or more attachments on avatar center. It's easily avoided by attaching the body on another attachment point which is not used. The bodies are rigger after all, and it does not matter which attachment point they are attached to. I believe my Maitreya body is attached to the tail tip attachment point with me...

Just in case I am not being very clear in what I mean.  The part of Resi's post I meant wasn't typical was the bit about the HUD not working.  I don't ever recall a time when it didn't work for me except due to extreme lag.  I occasionally do get the detach issue but this can be any attachment I am wearing and isn't mostly the HUD, though it has happened, it has happened extremely infrequently over the years.

If the Maitreya HUD was routinely not working for many people, there would be much more traffic about it I think.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
changed to use Resi's own term for HUD not working.
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.