Where's my free Bakes-on-Mesh avatar update?

Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I don't know any creators personally that were terribly excited about BOM so maybe not many have been working frantically behind the scenes for the last year and a half or whatever :D.     

Slink has been doing a lot of work to be ready for BOM, those bodies will offer full support, from what Siddean has said in group chats she is very keen on the system.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Slink has been doing a lot of work to be ready for BOM, those bodies will offer full support, from what Siddean has said in group chats she is very keen on the system.

I meant creators of BOM PRODUCTS , not the mesh bodies :D.    I would assume that all the mesh body creators have been working with the beta to be prepared. That only makes sense.  But if there are no products that people want to buy, there is really no reason to have a BOM body --- that was what I was getting at. 

Hence  my other comment: "If there aren't that many creators making system layer type clothing and such, I can't see it being a jump on the bandwagon type thing. "

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

....... but from my understanding too people will need the textures from me?  oh no, that is never going to happen, I am not putting my textures into a box and saying "here you go, you can use these to put on your bom body". 

No you do not have to give anyone a texture, all you would need to do is make up a system layer, you then give them the system layer, as its the system layer that a Bom part would wear, be it clothing, tats or lake-up etc. You can then decide if you leave it mod or not for tinting.

4 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Slink has released BoM updates for the bodies and parts today. i use all Slink and in updating all to the BoM versions i have reduced complexity by 15k, texture area dropped over 200m2, i regained 4 attachment points, and tri count reduced by 150k, and script count down by 1/3

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I meant creators of BOM PRODUCTS , not the mesh bodies :D.    I would assume that all the mesh body creators have been working with the beta to be prepared. That only makes sense.  But if there are no products that people want to buy, there is really no reason to have a BOM body --- that was what I was getting at. 

Hence  my other comment: "If there aren't that many creators making system layer type clothing and such, I can't see it being a jump on the bandwagon type thing. "

Technically speaking, "BoM products" already exist. And we were using them before mesh bodies took over.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Updating to the newer body will probably be optional, at least for a while.  When the update comes out, it will handle the BoM more natively, rather than via that extra experimental applier. The native Maitreyea BoM support will do things like apply to fingers and toes properly, which current Omega doesn't do well.

Minor correction: Maitreya doesn't need to do anything to have finger and toe mapping work properly. What needs to happen is for a skinner to issue a system skin that uses the textures they normally use in Maitreya appliers.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

There is a ton of old system clothing still in inventories just waiting to be slapped onto a mesh body and brought back from the dead.

Sadly though, it still looks like the junk mesh made it look like.

There might be a nice niche for old tattoos.

I do agree though, I really see this as a fad, cause non-mesh on mesh will always look like non-mesh on mesh.

• Like 1

Major Features

• Any face of a mesh object can be textured using any of the server baked textures.

• The corresponding region of the system avatar is hidden if any attached mesh is using a baked texture.

• New texture bake channels have been introduced to give more control over how meshes get textured.

• A new “universal wearable” is now provided with support for the new texture channels.

Oh lookie! An Exciting New Technobabble Thing has happened in SL!

I can hardly wait to sport my new "universal wearable"! Will it come in different colours?

Is there no one at LL who knows how to speak Real Person Speak? Or write it? Or who understands that the vast majority of SL users are not content creators, coders, or mesh builders, and will have no frickin' idea what any of this actually means?????

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I can hardly wait to sport my new "universal wearable"! Will it come in different colours?

Is there no one at LL who knows how to speak Real Person Speak? Or write it? Or who understands that the vast majority of SL users are not content creators, coders, or mesh builders, and will have no frickin' idea what any of this actually means?????

Well, it's a wearable, in that it's something you wear. And it's universal in that it supports all the channels available for bakes on mesh, including the new ones that go beyond those used by skin, tattoo and system clothing layers.

I don't know if you're a fan of tattoos, but, for example, BoM now allows a separate left arm texture so you aren't limited to a "MOM" tattoo on your arm. "I ♥ NY" on one arm would show as "YN ♥ I" on the other arm. Using the universal wearable with a tattoo image on your left arm you can fix this.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Even some content creators don't understand LL's brand of English. Weird thing is, I understood them better 5 years ago than I do now. *shrugs* I've come to expect less from LL over the years than what I used to.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

Well, it's a wearable, in that it's something you wear. And it's universal in that it supports all the channels available for bakes on mesh, including the new ones that go beyond those used by skin, tattoo and system clothing layers.

I don't know if you're a fan of tattoos, but, for example, BoM now allows a separate left arm texture so you aren't limited to a "MOM" tattoo on your arm. "I ♥ NY" on one arm would show as "YN ♥ I" on the other arm. Using the universal wearable with a tattoo image on your left arm you can fix this.

maybe a stupid question <.< but do you know where is this "universal wearable"?? I got the latest SL viewer , so It can support BoM and I wish to try it but I'm still a bit confused :"(  at least what i'm trying is not working <o< awww 

2 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

Yeah. I've been following this closely enough myself here and elsewhere that I have a reasonably good sense of what it involves, why it's useful, etc.

My point really is that most residents haven't been. In fact, most people have probably never heard of BoM before. And this "explanation" is going to do very little to enlighten those who don't know what a "channel" is, in this context. (And, oddly enough, most residents won't know that.)

Mesh is already confusing enough for most people, and involves a fairly steep learning curve. I know, because I had to climb it. If LL wants people to be informed, or even excited about this, they need to explain in terms that most people will understand. It would be all sooooooo much easier if they would take the time and effort (and, yes, money) to build a simple and easy to follow guide for non-techies, rather than relying on either the awful knowledge base, or some kind of "word of mouth" mechanism, as is most often the case now. Customization of the avatar, and the confusion it causes, is, I swear, one of the biggest issues with regard to retention that SL faces.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

burns.gif.61a0f0caa65c2fc90e3a9f7e5406b319.gif                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Now, to find a few million residents that want to buy....unique...wares......eventually.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah. I've been following this closely enough myself here and elsewhere that I have a reasonably good sense of what it involves, why it's useful, etc.

My point really is that most residents haven't been. In fact, most people have probably never heard of BoM before. And this "explanation" is going to do very little to enlighten those who don't know what a "channel" is, in this context. (And, oddly enough, most residents won't know that.)

Mesh is already confusing enough for most people, and involves a fairly steep learning curve. I know, because I had to climb it. If LL wants people to be informed, or even excited about this, they need to explain in terms that most people will understand. It would be all sooooooo much easier if they would take the time and effort (and, yes, money) to build a simple and easy to follow guide for non-techies, rather than relying on either the awful knowledge base, or some kind of "word of mouth" mechanism, as is most often the case now. Customization of the avatar, and the confusion it causes, is, I swear, one of the biggest issues with regard to retention that SL faces.

There you go, injecting wisdom and common sense.......and people call me crazy.

This is probably making me laugh longer and louder than I should but I sort of picture the day LL begins to apply this sort of wisdom and common sense as a day of, well, friggen chaos. I imagine people would go a bit bananas the day LL stops being...well, LL and won't know what to do with themselves. The mere thought of it reminds me of one of my favorite Ghostbusters conversations.... (except replace city with world/platform/whatever the hell you call sl)

Dr. Peter Venkman : This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.

Mayor : What do you mean, "biblical"?

Dr. Raymond Stantz : What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.

Dr. Peter Venkman : Exactly.

Dr. Raymond Stantz : Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Dr. Egon Spengler : Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Winston Zeddemore : The dead rising from the grave!

Dr. Peter Venkman : Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Mayor : All right, all right! I get the point!

LL....love 'em or hate 'em, they gave/give us SL :) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Now, to find a few million residents that want to buy....unique...wares......eventually.

Well, this is another interesting question.

Is the faith being exhibited by most people that Maitreya and others will simply issue a free "update" valid, or naive? Someone above said that Slink had issued one? I'll have to check; I used Slink, but was only briefly inworld this morning.

I'm sure there's lots of money to be made from this though.

2 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

The Kitties Lair, Lena range of avatars list experimental support for it in their marketplace adverts. There also seems to be a very cheap avatar released by Papadzules (whoever they are), that might be an option at that price just for having a look to see how it works.

I am pretty excited about this, being able to mix and match underwear, tattoo, freckle, hair or even spank mark layers promises to potentially remove a lot of headaches from the glitching that made using more than one body layer on mesh such a nightmare. And also for that matter using transparencies on clothes or other attachments like hair that aren't on a layer conflicting with those on the avatar.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Is the faith being exhibited by most people that Maitreya and others will simply issue a free "update" valid, or naive? Someone above said that Slink had issued one? I'll have to check; I used Slink, but was only briefly inworld this morning.

Slink has issued an update, yes, the Slink Redux bodies which are designed to be used with bakes on mesh. It includes all the skins in tattoo layer format. There's a new HUD with some extra features but I haven't played around with it yet on my alt. The package includes the original bodies in a box in case people don't want to update to bakes on mesh yet.

edit - I forgot to add that while there is some new stuff in the HUD it has also been simplified somewhat, as the new features of BOM allow for that.

Edited by Stephanie Misfit
added info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Slink has issued an update, yes, the Slink Redux bodies which are designed to be used with bakes on mesh. It includes all the skins in tattoo layer format. There's a new HUD with some extra features but I haven't played around with it yet on my alt. The package includes the original bodies in a box in case people don't want to update to bakes on mesh yet.

I didn't get a notification for this, so does one need to go to the store in-world to get it?

I'm assuming also that this means that the new body has lost the underwear and clothing layers (in part because I understand that the complexity of the new body is lower). But presumably with the new Omega applier the new Slink body, these will be applied directly to the remaining layer?

I think I'll be waiting until FS, at least, supports BoM. But the reduction in complexity alone makes it seem worthwhile.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well the Marketplace is still full of system layer clothing, and I would presume that going forward, a creator who would normally release an item with appliers wouldn't need to mess with making multiple appliers any more, just release them as standard SL layer clothing items instead. And those layers could then be applied to any mesh body.

At least, I hope that's the way it works...

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, VivianWord said:

Do we need a new version of a mesh body to be able to pop an older systems dress on? Are they out?

How do alpha layers fit in?

If you got a mesh body that's moddable, you can toggle it on without having to wait for the maker. In the window you apply the textures, there should be a new option for bakes on mesh next to the local upload button.

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

Well the Marketplace is still full of system layer clothing, and I would presume that going forward, a creator who would normally release an item with appliers wouldn't need to mess with making multiple appliers any more, just release them as standard SL layer clothing items instead. And those layers could then be applied to any mesh body.

At least, I hope that's the way it works...

Plus BOM supports 102x1024. so it's STILL an upgrade from system.

22 minutes ago, Digit Gears said:

If you got a mesh body that's moddable, you can toggle it on without having to wait for the maker. In the window you apply the textures, there should be a new option for bakes on mesh next to the local upload button.

Good point, i might work on this for my mesh body, and maybe make some fun skin overlays.

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

A number of makeup/tattoo/skin effects creators have been packaging system tattoo layers alongside appliers for a good few months now, in preparation for BoM. It's nowhere near ubiquitous, of course; but at least there's something of a market in place already. Even if visibility has been kept low so far.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

As soon as the first BOM-enabled mesh body comes out, I'll be the first to ditch those multi-mesh layered, multi-face segmented monstrocities.

I highly doubt it's going to make a difference. Even with BoM, users are still going to want to keep their existing applier functionality. Partly because some clothing layer effects cannot be replicated with system layers, but mostly because people have built up large collections of appliers. There's no real reason why the body creator has to remove those applier layers when they make their body BoM friendly... so they won't. No creator that wants to stay in business is going to voluntarily reduce the functionality of their product because some mad people on the forums say it might save a few fps, it's just not going to happen.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.