SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

36 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

This route and variations has been used by the Leeward Cruising Club for years due to the amount of open water (good for sailing) , relative lack of orbs and banlines on the shore, and presence of friendly outposts for party venues.

The reason I have the parcel shown with Home icon on the map for 10 years (Part of FIYC's EPI Centre) is its location midway between Sea of Fables and Bay of Space Pigs

It is also possible to take the green route, but there is a parcel with banlines, on a region corner, over openwater.. that makes that route more tricky. With careful placement of waypoints, and warning sailors... you can take a cruise through there.... but it is at limit of people's tolerance for that sort of thing on a public cruise.

Sansara2.thumb.jpg.272f7cc4d29e8a70b5c9080bb61ebf47.jpg

Edited by Aethelwine
to add a missing word
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2024 at 2:12 PM, Claireschen Hesten said:

Bleaberry Tarn is a real life place in the Lake District in England. it's probably closer to the RL Buttermere than the one on the SL Lake District regions of Sansara

I'm fascinated by the origins of the region names. I google the ones that I'm not familiar with. Some of them are obvious puns, but the ones I don't know create a learning experience for me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Eight new regions have appeared on the map, with two in the northwest of Ranch and six to the southeast of Mediterranean.

I'm guessing that the gap between Mediterranean and the new six possibly exists for future SSP regions, possibly for a railway line from Ranch to Sakura via Mediterranean?(!)

RanchMedLogexpansion29Feb2024.thumb.png.7cf1a3de123c7ff30c6836f4e1efbfd9.png

Names:

Ranch (2): Travellers Rest, Tater Thicket.

Mediterranean (6): Greenfield Park, Weekend Princess, Redfield Corner, Lost Shepherd, Mellow Pines, Ryefield Village.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

19 hours ago, Marisa Starbrook said:

I'm fascinated by the origins of the region names. I google the ones that I'm not familiar with. Some of them are obvious puns, but the ones I don't know create a learning experience for me. 

I RL live in one of the Lake District regions  :)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Mediterranean (6): Greenfield Park, Weekend Princess, Redfield Corner, Lost Shepherd, Mellow Pines, Ryefield Village.

I wonder if they really will be Med homes.  It's very odd that they're not connected to the Meds, and the names .... to me, these sound more like Ranch region names.  But then, the Northeast corner of the Med subcontinent has a block of 6 regions with names like these.

I think all of us here on the forums should quickly colonize Weekend Princess together, whatever theme it turns out to be.  That includes you, Matthieu!

I keep hoping that more hand-crafted Traditional regions will be built - some of the Olde Belli areas are so inventive!  But that's just a pipedream, I think.

6 hours ago, Chloe Bunny said:

I RL live in one of the Lake District regions  :)

Can we all come visit?  🙏

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I wonder if they really will be Med homes.  It's very odd that they're not connected to the Meds, and the names .... to me, these sound more like Ranch region names.  But then, the Northeast corner of the Med subcontinent has a block of 6 regions with names like these.

I think all of us here on the forums should quickly colonize Weekend Princess together, whatever theme it turns out to be.  That includes you, Matthieu!

I keep hoping that more hand-crafted Traditional regions will be built - some of the Olde Belli areas are so inventive!  But that's just a pipedream, I think.

The names do sound odd for the Mediterranean theme, but on the other hand the LDPW has changed names before. Perhaps the names are a psy-op to confuse us?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There are new regions not showing yet on the map between theI inhabited Mediterranean regions and the ones @SarahKB7 Koskinen just posted. The first 3 I noted before I lagged out and logged out are:

SSP Etoile Brilliante, SSP Aube Lilas  and  SSP Signal Crescent.

And yes, we have a rail line running through here with a Station.  😀 🚆

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

There are new regions not showing yet on the map between the inhabited Mediterranean regions and the ones @SarahKB7 Koskinen just posted. The first 3 I noted before I lagged out and logged out are:

SSP Etoile Brilliante, SSP Aube Lilas  and  SSP Signal Crescent.

And yes, we have a rail line running through here with at Station at Signal Crescent.  😀 🚆

Wow!  There are many new regions - I'm sure they will show up on the map tomorrow, and I don't have time to map them now.  The railway enters the Meds from the south in a new region (SSP Etoile Brillante) immediately east of Mirandela - presumably that will eventually link to the railway from the Ranches?

It then goes straight north for 2 regions, and bends to the northeast in SSPSignal Crescent (east of Dos Palmeras).  There's a station north of that, in SSPCondor Pass.  After that the line heads due east for 4 regions, and runs out of regions in SSPOtro Gallo, just south of Grande Baguette.  

BUT just before the line is cut off, it takes a slight bend to the south!  An eventual link to rail from Sakura's lovely community region, Shobu?  Time will tell!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

I'm guessing that the gap between Mediterranean and the new six possibly exists for future SSP regions, possibly for a railway line from Ranch to Sakura via Mediterranean?(!)

Oh nicely guessed. 😎

Have now made a new map, will post it tomorrow when these new SSP regions appear on the inworld map.

Now the next question,  a railway line from Ranch to Mediterranean; bridge or tunnel and from which region?

• Like 5

5 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Now the next question,  a railway line from Ranch to Mediterranean; bridge or tunnel and from which region?

There's really only one likely possibility.  You can tell just by looking ... or at least, an Italian could.

While considering other possibilities, tho, the following question popped into my mind.  Do SLRR scripts implement gravity, or could an SLRR train follow a track laid in a vertical loop-de-loop, like a roller coaster?  Switching might be tricky.

• Like 3

Map updated, and now visible on World Map.

RanchMedLogexpansion29Feb2024v2.thumb.png.b95e22413f827e9ce466936199d8ef47.png

Ranch (2): Travellers Rest, Tater Thicket.

Mediterranean (14): SSPCondor Pass, SSPTorre Grigia, SSPKestrel Skies, SSPWondering Minstrels, SSPOtro Gallo, SSPSignal Crescent,  Greenfield Park, Weekend Princess, Redfield Corner, Lost Shepherd, SSPAube Lilas, Mellow Pines, Ryefield Village, SSPEtoile Brilliante.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

15 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

That's not likely to happen anytime soon.  I still haven't taken the Premium Plus plunge.  I'm working on a couple of other projects at the moment, but maybe when the dust settles on those, I will look at a Mediterranean.  I like the theme, but those parcels are just soooo big.  

• Like 3

On 1/22/2024 at 4:47 PM, 4lice Cerise said:

a 3-way connection at Admiral Bligh or Marimba doesn’t look likely, as the landscaping there seems complete, and the same for Grey Ghost

While that’s still true, the newly added segment of rail line on southeast Medisseria (with stations on ) looks like it will connect with Sakura at it eastern end (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SSPOtro Gallo/243/50/21) and at the other end (http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SSPEtoile Brillante/57/13/21) either it will be a dead end or somehow it will connect southwards at Admiral Bligh or Marimba — or something else less obvious.

I’m hoping for a branch going eastwards from Kodokuna Josei or Jolly Serpent but there’s no guarantee as it would need a reworking of the existing coastal line at Grey Ghost or somewhere less obvious.

Also not known whether those junctions will be forks or whys (I learned new words and I will use them!) and, if the former, in which direction they will be pointing.

With all that in mind I updated my SL Mainland rail map with the new stretch of railway: Yellow is existing track and red is future conjectural.

SLallrails.5.thumb.png.d02f6b617267755ceb5255c5f8aa9741.png

And a curtsie to the others who aired similar views above. ❤

Edited by 4lice Cerise
ack
  • Like 8

On 1/22/2024 at 8:47 AM, 4lice Cerise said:

...a 3-way connection at Admiral Bligh or Marimba doesn’t look likely, as the landscaping there seems complete, and the same for Grey Ghost.

I think the Sakura to Newbrook connection will be an underwater tunnel connecting at Grey Ghost. That's where the lighthouse is, isn't it? This will thus be similar to the connection from the northern Log Home coast to the Ranch regions, though not with as long of an underwater tunnel.

I'm gonna guess that there will be a bridge rail connection between Ranch and Mediterranean from Michael Row, and the connection between Mediterranean and Sakura will be another underwater tunnel.

We'll see what really happens by June.

• Like 6

On the rail connectors,  I think the Newbrooke/Chalets rail line is a loop and will not connect to anything else. If the moles plan to complete something later, they tend to leave it unfinished so as not to do rework. Grey Ghost looks very finished to me.

I think the Meds will connect to a terminal station in Shobu by a path shown in green below. The key is to look at the railbed on the east border of SSPOtro Gallo. It is heading to the south east.

Med to Sakura Rail Connector.jpg

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 4

I think the railway line is more likely to use diagonal angles, rather than 90 degree right-angled turns.  You just don't see those kinds of right-angled turns in real life tracks because they can cause derailments. And SL track across the grid seem to (mostly) follow the same too.

That imaginary sim to the west of Jolly Serpent (above) should have a diagonal track going across it from SW to NE, not right-angled turns. The most recent Mediterranean sims of SSPCondor Pass and SSPSignal Crescent which have diagonal tracks in them are a good examples of this.

• Like 5

• Moles
On 2/29/2024 at 8:30 PM, Nika Talaj said:

I think the people thinking up names interpreted "Mediterranean" as a reference to climate rather than geography.    That's what I'm told, anyway. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

• Moles
46 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

I think the people thinking up names interpreted "Mediterranean" as a reference to climate rather than geography.    That's what I'm told, anyway. 

Yes indeed.  There are regions with a Mediterranean climate along the coasts of California and western Australia and there are patches elsewhere around the world. They have similar vegetation and share some architectural and other cultural features. Many SL residents live in those places, so they are recognized in region names the same way that we recognize places called home by those around the Mediterranean Sea who speak Spanish, Italian, Greek, Arabic, French, Croatian, and other languages.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 10