What are you doing today!? :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/29/2021 at 8:30 PM, Garnet Psaltery said:

I just bought a mug and sticker featuring the Second Life Valentine Teddy bear.  I haven't opted for fast shipping so they won't get to the UK by Valentine's Day but that doesn't matter; they're just for me and they'll make me smile when I see them. 

I mean, just look at that face.

Second Life Teddy Bear.jpg

Just a note to say that despite not opting for expedited shipping to the UK I got my mug today. :) 

• Like 6

Last night I put SL to good use, visiting Portofino in Soul2Soul. I've always enjoyed visiting sims that represent RL places -- or places that sufficiently resemble RL places that they are evocative of them.

Now, with the pandemic, it's twice as appealing, as I slowly go nuts from a year of having been more or less confined to a couple of square miles of my city. Last week, I had to visit the doctor for a checkup, and I was excited because it was several miles away!

Anyway, I love Italy and I miss it, and last night I got a virtual taste of it.

http://maps.secondlife/ISLE OF LOVE/232/56/34

1482344409_Portofino-2-(BW)-Blank.thumb.png.2799093ec8504a325b3d6d829c8f5601.png

• Like 10

So, just a bit over two years ago, @Coby Fodenposted a pic on this thread of The Italian Village of Ciampi, a very pretty and utterly charming little village with a small attached port. I went to visit, and it quickly became one of my favourite little corners of the mainland. Not only is it lovely, but it features a great community, and the owner (as I observed in my original post on the place here in January of 2019) is a sweetheart, and never fails to extend a cheerful wave (and often a longer chat) whenever I pop in. (In fact, he seems to greet personally nearly everyone who visits there).

Over the 2 years since, I've stopped by Ciampi many times, and have taken a pretty large number of pictures there. Viggen, the proprietor, has been extending the place, and has just added parkland, with rezzable horses and riding trails. It seemed a good opportunity to pose with this very unimpressed looking fellow.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bouraq/234/162/33

I know there are others here who have visited Ciampi. If you haven't, stop by. And say hi to Viggen for me.

Horse-What-Horse-2-Blank.thumb.png.c52d00e5d4d898805446fc563498d2e2.png

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 11

16 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Then I stumbled upon this sculpture made of sculpty prims.  I have never seen anything with such realism in all of Eddy's and Greg's rezzed days combined.

sculpture_001.thumb.png.d1ecafe3fffe3db42592831ec47ea0ad.png

I can't remember her name but she was a RL artist who was going to publish a photo book of 1,000 SL avatars. I went to her studio with a friend and we took turns posing for her on pose balls (we were into neko fashion then), I think she might have even been in the SL Hobos group, but I might be wrong.

I don't think the book ever came out. I'm sure that prim you saw was part of another inworld exhibit she did about her body image. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Gracie Kendal?

I don't think there was ever a book, but the project is on her blog.

https://www.kristineschomaker.net/1000-avatarsproject

Gracie Kendal sounds familiar...but that link is DEFINITELY the right one - I remember the grey backgrounds. And scrolling down, I spotted straight away someone I used to know! 

Wow, that's made me nostalgic...spotted a Black Maria hair I used to have and a few familiar stomp boots :) No me, though :( (lol!)

I'm sure she planned to do it as a book...we were in her group and she would send us updates, but she worked out it would cost something like $80 a copy, and nobody signed up to order it, so it never happened (but I could be totally wrong about that). Her studio was a cube skybox, she had hundreds of the pics all running up the walls, there were definitely more.

• Like 3

Today, a hike in Walsh County, through the melting snow, and along a rather muddy country road.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Campton/54/54/22

Pausing a moment to take stock during the hike. With @Saskia Rieko, @Laurel Aurelia, @BelindaN, @Stranger Hoxley, and myself. Also present, but no in the frame, @TatianaNikolayand @Pacific Fanshaw

Hiking-1-Blank.thumb.png.ec7be816259171a7247c1a0197176a77.png

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 12

As of late I've been playing some new games, one of them being 'Spore' (it has a similar interface to SL's builder), where I've been designing vehicles from military to economic and so on and it would seem I've been on a roll.

There are far too many to list here so I'll list a few samples starting with my latest creation the 'Hedgehog'. I thought I'd try my hand at designing my own MRLS (Multiple Rocket Launcher System) or as I like to call it 'Morales' as in your troops are gonna get a great 'morale boost' after this volley. It was inspired by Sonic the Hedgehog with how the rocket tubes remind me of quils. I'd say with 8 of them in total it's gonna be pretty OP (gonna be testing it here in-game soon and see how it does).

c86f9876a68de3e348c45bc7fc78dcf1.png

Next up is the Shakedown, a heavy tank destroyer/assault gun inspired by WWII designs. It's gonna 'shake-down' some buildings here.

I'm rather on the fence about keeping this one however, as I find it to be a little more silly than my other creations. Looking back at it the treads alone would be a logistical nightmare but I figure if only a couple were produced and used for their intended purposes they'd pay themselves off in that way.

edf1361ed7d56171dd70d2503d74092c.png

And lastly I have the 'Disciple'. A medium tank inspired by the M4 Sherman if it had a futuristic design.

1cf0b3cf85b05b0d7c71ec9b5da66846.png

Edited by Simo Vodopan
  • Like 1

I've just returned from viewing @manoji Yachvili's new exhibit of her RL photography, "καλειδοσκοπεω"

The Greek title, her introduction to the exhibit tells us, means "to see beautiful," and that's what Manoji has done: seen beauty in those things and places we would not ordinarily seek it. Her central metaphor is that of the kaleidoscope:

I thought lately of the joy I felt as a child when I laid my eyes on the kaleidoscope and with a simple gesture of rotation thanks to those fragments of colored glass I created a new world, precise, clean, an endless array of colorful emotions and grace.

The idea is to see the beautiful in those things that are not "obviously" so -- and by seeing them as beautiful, making them so. So, as a kaleidoscope fragments the reality it captures into new and alien forms, recombining them into beautiful and light-saturated patterns, so too does her art both highlight and create the beautiful from the detritus and waste of modern industrial society. Her pictures are of abandoned equipment, junkyards piled high with waste, but each is accompanied (as you can see in the picture behind me, below) by a kaleidoscopic re-imaging that creates new beauty and form from them.

This is the thought that has nourished my creativity for this project : the need to catch a glimpse of a possible hope for the revival of beauty in this world, the desire to look with bright eyes of adult reality and with enlightened eyes of a child its possible future.

The exhibit is, appropriately, housed in an abandoned warehouse, furnished only with broken-down and stained furnishings. It's not merely appropriate: it is in its own way beautiful. (But then, I love urban landscapes.)

This is really stunning. You should visit.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunny Hills/51/98/1610

Manoji-Exhibit-2-Blank.thumb.png.aee395d6211e6a571fdfeba15a27cc65.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've just returned from viewing @manoji Yachvili's new exhibit of her RL photography, "καλειδοσκοπεω"

The Greek title, her introduction to the exhibit tells us, means "to see beautiful," and that's what Manoji has done: seen beauty in those things and places we would not ordinarily seek it. Her central metaphor is that of the kaleidoscope:

The idea is to see the beautiful in those things that are not "obviously" so -- and by seeing them as beautiful, making them so. So, as a kaleidoscope fragments the reality it captures into new and alien forms, recombining them into beautiful and light-saturated patterns, so too does her art both highlight and create the beautiful from the detritus and waste of modern industrial society. Her pictures are of abandoned equipment, junkyards piled high with waste, but each is accompanied (as you can see in the picture behind me, below) by a kaleidoscopic re-imaging that creates new beauty and form from them.

The exhibit is, appropriately, housed in an abandoned warehouse, furnished only with broken-down and stained furnishings. It's not merely appropriate: it is in its own way beautiful. (But then, I love urban landscapes.)

This is really stunning. You should visit.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunny Hills/51/98/1610

Manoji-Exhibit-2-Blank.thumb.png.aee395d6211e6a571fdfeba15a27cc65.png

Thanks dear Scylla for your warm words 🥰

I'm super happy that you liked and you have take a wonderful shot, as usual, that enfatize my work 😘

• Thanks 1

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Second Pride/121/134/1651

Today I hosted a party for the opening of Mardi Gras at Second Pride & then stuck around & was treated to this amazing DJ from The Ivory Coast - Bafana Beaumont, such great sounds you rarely, if ever, get to hear.  

There are parties today, tomorrow & pancake Tuesday.  

9ff9455ab8ebd983abea10a27f516e1b.jpg

Edited by Horus Salubrius
spelling natch
  • Like 6

So, what do four single girls who are happy to remain so do in SL on Valentine's Day?

Well . . . we get together to talk, and dress up ridiculously small dogs in onesies, of course!

From left to right, @BelindaN's legs (she was busy sneezing during this pic), @Eva Knoller,  me, and @Saskia Rieko

395150851_Valentines-Day-1-Blank.thumb.png.b1de63e63534f87d5a416c66e65df084.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.