Quick Question about Nudity

cykarushb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Just a quick question, what qualifies as nudity in SL?

Would an avatar with no visible bits be considered nude?

Example, a stock skin with no genitals?

What about going around bottomless, again with no visible genitals in any form?

Would that cause any problems in a G rated space?

1 hour ago, cykarushb said:

try it out in rl and see if people react ... some questions only need some sanity or common sence.

yes that is nudity and you can be banned by resident owners, ánd even banned permanently by LL if you get reported at public places.

• Like 1

I agree with Alwin, nude is nude. Women's genitals are not ordinarily visible but they are still naked when not wearing clothing. If one has a male avatar, the only reason to walk about sans pants in a place that does not allow nudity, with or without genitals, is to attract attention and be contentious.

Perhaps you can take guidance from the way that Linden Lab designs basic avatars for underage residents.  "Modesty" avatars all wear underwear to cover parts of their bodies where they ought to have naughty bits.  One can imagine that the Lab decided that underwear is less offensive than naked Barbie doll avatars without the naughty bits.  If I were you, I wouldn't test the theory.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cykarushb said:

Question: If I take off all my clothes, am I naked?

Answer: Yes

Question: Even if I am a mutilated freak of nature with no 'bits'?

Answer: Yes

Question: What if I have fur?

Answer: Still yes but fewer people will complain as long as you are still a mutilated freak of nature with no 'bits' sticking out of the fur

Question: If I go to a No-Nudity area with no clothes on will I get into trouble?

Answer: Oh Hell Yes!

• Like 2

When one goes to a crowded club there are a lot of nude avatars in sight. All mesh clothes dancing in the air for many minutes before the rigging snaps them to their intended places. Some people have made their "secret" parts invisible or wear painted on underwear, some have not done either one. The poorer one's connection or computer is the longer one will have that scene to stare at. :SxD

Naturally nobody gets banned due to that, because most people know (or should know) how mesh acts in crowded places.
Anyway, I don't get disturbed by the sight, they are just avatars, not real people.
(But I have met people who get very "hot" by the sight nude female avies.) :x 

Oh, by the way, we need more emoticons to express ourselves in these forums.

There is no cut and dry answer here.  If you look like you might be nude then someone will report it and that's all that it takes.  For what it's worth, males get away with nudity when females cannot.  Wearing a chrome android/robot skin on a female shape, for example, when almost no one would care about a male robot.

Whatever you decide to do, just know that it is your risk and that the final call is up to whichever Linden picks up the AR.  Personally I wouldn't wear anything less than a one-piece on a G rated sim and even then only if at a beach or pool.  When in Rome and all that.

@ Maddy: Of course not.  You're wearing a pocket watch and earrings.

@ OP: Just the fact that you asked this question leads me to suspect that you are looking for an excuse to push the limits.  That's your choice, but be advised: 

1. No advice you get here will cut any ice with Linden Lab or with any landowner you may antagonize.  The defense "The Answers Forum guys said it would be OK" will not avail you.
  2. He Who Owns the Land Makes the Rules, and you can get banned for any reason.  The old Texas homicide defense, "He needed killin'" is very much alive and well in Second Life.
  3. Nude is Nude, so Don't Be Rude, Dude.  Clued?
Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

Im not trying to skirt any rules, im mainly talking of situations where id be changing clothing in G rated places, my avatar is not nude, no bits, but there may be a transition period where i am not wearing pants or a shirt. And im most frequently in places like Social Island or some of the newbie spaces.

I was just wondering if there was a specific list of what is and isnt nudity since there doesnt seem to be much of that searchable on the Wiki.

Edited by cykarushb

5 minutes ago, cykarushb said:

Im not trying to skirt any rules, im mainly talking of situations where id be changing clothing in G rated places, my avatar is not nude, no bits, but there may be a transition period where i am not wearing pants or a shirt. And im most frequently in places like Social Island or some of the newbie spaces.

I was just wondering if there was a specific list of what is and isnt nudity since there doesnt seem to be much of that searchable on the Wiki.

I think you can skirt this issue by refining your dressing/undressing routine. I can't recall the last time I exposed anything I didn't want to while changing clothes. And, should that happen, it's the same kind of mistake everyone's quite capable of making. If we banned people for that, this place would be empty.

• Like 1

Even when we only had texture clothes there were classes in how to dress without getting undressed. We have LAYERS and have had for a decade or so. If you have a mesh body turn on your underwear appliers (with underwear obviously) and you are set. Turn them off when you are done. If you have a legacy avatar then wear undies on a tattoo layer while you are dressing if necessary. Want tattoos? Change from undies to tattoos once you are dressed. All it takes is a bit of logic.

And you can always TP home and change and return. Well duh!  LOL.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cykarushb said:

Social Island, as I recall, has some changing rooms (in the building with the shopping tutorials) so why not use those if you are in any doubt?   

21 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Or just go stand at the bottom of an ocean.

I have this apartment, next to the water, and I have noticed a considerable amount of people who just stand on the bottom of the water. I always wondered what the heck they were doing, now it all makes sense. Now I am thinking i could just give up the apartment and go change out there.

• Like 1

There are all sorts of ways to change clothes without offending anyone or attracting wolf whistles:

• Change at the bottom of the ocean
  • Fly up to 4000m, hover, and change
  • Use a changing room such as those provided at Caledon Oxbridge University
  • Put on the new clothing before removing the old clothing.  ADD is an easy way to do this.
  • Save things as Outfits, then use "Replace Current Outfit" to change one for another.  (Note, depending on how things rez, you might be nude for a second or two.  Most people will forgive you, because they know it's going to happen to them at some point too.)
  • Get your own home.  Be sure to set the Privacy feature in About Land/Options.
  • Borrow any empty parcel that does have the Privacy feature turned on
  • Use the Map to find an empty region.  There are more of them than not.
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2017 at 10:27 PM, cykarushb said:

...Probably because most people would assume you know what "nudity" means. 

If you are not wearing clothing, you are nude. In fact, the first definition of the word "nude" is "wearing no clothes." It does not qualify with "unless one has no visible genitalia of any kind." If you are not wearing pants or a shirt (or a bra and/or panties, depending on gender), you are nude. 

If you are eligible, find a mature or adult rated sim to change clothes on. You can go right back to wear you were when you're done. Alternatively, find a G-rated changing room to duck into. Or, throw on a bra and/or panties; you can remove them when you're done changing outfits, if you'd like. Or, add the items you'd like to wear ON TOP OF the items you're already wearing; once the new one is on, remove the old. We have the ability to add multiple items to the same layer/attachment point now. Handy, ain't it? Or, fly up to a higher altitude using a flight feather or whatever is necessary these days (although you can still be reported, if you're seen; less change of being seen up there, though). 

Is wrongly getting naked allowed in G places? 

I wrongly wear "in-game place note" in G place, and I apologize for everybody in there. I think it should be considered as wardrobe malfunction. Am I think wrongly? Unintented getting naked like this in G places, could results ingame banning? 

Edited by TugkanAdley

1 minute ago, TugkanAdley said:

Is wrongly getting naked allowed in G places? 

I wrongly wear "in-game place note" in G place, and I apologize for always in there. I think it should be considered as wardrobe malfunction. Am I think wrongly? Unintented getting naked like this in G places, could results ingame banning? 

Mistakes and slow loading happens and most people allow for it.  Getting naked deliberately for trolling reasons will likely get you a ban from the location and possible AR filed depending on the moderator of the location

36 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Mistakes and slow loading happens and most people allow for it.  Getting naked deliberately for trolling reasons will likely get you a ban from the location and possible AR filed depending on the moderator of the location

Oh, ok thanks for information. User interface is not hard but sometimes, I think very like noob. I try to wear note or "folder" I don't remember, and always gone in my body :)

And the guy, in there said that "cool naked guy showed up" and I apologize for everybody :):)

Thanks for information again. 

Hi Tugkan, welcome to Second Life.

Almost everyone has made mistakes like that.  Most people will be pretty tolerant of honest mistakes, but be aware that a land owner can ban you for any reason...or even no reason at all.  Some people have gotten banned from clubs or other places through no real fault of their own, but simply because they had a...wardrobe malfunction, and the bouncer on duty was trigger-happy with his ban hammer.

You can't wear a notecard, but you certainly can get instantly undressed by choosing an object (like, say, a coffee cup) and choosing "Replace Current Outfit".  You'll be a naked person with a nice cup of coffee.  Learning to use the "ADD" or "Add to Current Outfit" commands is today's Safety Tip.

Some years ago showing up naked was a problem. The Lab put some serious effort into getting avatars to quickly bake and render. The situation improved.

With the addition of mesh bodies and clothes, things have reverted. It is common for a mesh body and clothes to render at different times often presenting a naked avatar. There is nothing to be done about that. Even the best connections and lowest ACI outfits suffer from the problem. A good connection to the SL servers helps. But, that only improves what you see. Others with a weaker connection may still see the viewer assemble you avatar as it downloads.

If one is naked because the system is slow rendering the avatar and clothes, most people understand. Those that get on your case are often the less knowledgeable that don't understand, so don't pay much attention to the mental midgets. Others like to bully or have other anti-social issues. Many of those specifically target new people. Unfortunately, there are a significant number of those people in SL. So, thicken your skin and enjoy SL. 

Learn to distinguish when someone has a legitimate complaint versus one struggling to annoy someone.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.