Furries in SL--why all the hatred towards furries?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a bit of a chameleon in Second Life and from the beginning I've dressed to suit the Sim I'm visiting and have several "guises". Not sure if there is any prejudice against furries because I haven't really experienced a negative reaction when I'm a cat. I think it's fair to try and fit in with the Sim because oftentimes they have their own theme and reason for it. I don't mind changing into my "hooman" form in those cases 🙂

39 minutes ago, Haselden said:

Furrie's are actually called Kur & Kurri in gor. You should perhaps go and rp there if you wish to feel welcome/wanted.

Yeah, but you'd be surrounded by Goreans. Give me a baying mob with tar and feathers any day. It's not much different but at least we don't need to talk in pseudo Klingon.

It is time "Catgirls of Gor" gets published... plot outline: a trio of cook aprentices from planet Neko crash their space shuttle onto Gor and has to fight off Gorean ecologists who try to preserve the suddenly endangered priest kings from extinction while the aspiring kitty cooks dream of creating the biggest plate of deep fried locust ever seen.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Fionalein said:

It is time "Catgirls of Gor" gets published... plot outline: a trio of cook aprentices from planet Neko crash their space shuttle onto Gor and has to fight off Gorean ecologists who try to preserve the suddenly endangered priest kings from extinction while the aspiring kitty cooks dream of creating the biggest plate of deep fried locust ever seen.

There were Panther Girls long ago that were part of Gor, is that the same thing ? one of our tenants was one, she used to create clothing and went Gor because there was a lot of money in it back in the day, with all the changes of dress needed and the veils etc. She used to log in to cash out so she could pay for her WOW subscription. 

6 hours ago, Haselden said:

Furrie's are actually called Kur & Kurri in gor. You should perhaps go and rp there if you wish to feel welcome/wanted.

Back in the olden days all Gor sims had signage very detailed rules on who and what and it was very non Furry because they were not 'real' and people that were considering themselves following all the rules of Gor (that never read the books - not being rude, it was actually a very common thing to have a Gorean Master tell you they were following all the writings but had not yet had the time to read all the books but were doing it correctly ) would get crazy about it as mentioned earlier. If that has changed that is great if everyone works out a way to live harmoniously 

Edited by Sasy Scarborough

On 1/24/2019 at 8:34 PM, Sasy Scarborough said:

it was actually a very common thing to have a Gorean Master tell you they were following all the writings but had not yet had the time to read all the books but were doing it correctly

Wait. Goreans can read???

I'm surprised. If John Norman is anything to go by, they sure as hell can't write.

• Haha 4

On 1/24/2019 at 1:57 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I guess a lot of Gor rp’ers are ignorant of it. The first few years I was in SL, furries were not welcome on Gor sims.

How is it ignorant? They even get to use a beast meter which is stronger then the default hud.

Normal Meter = ((Normal settings))

Beast meter = 50% damage reduction to arrows and melee..

Edited by Haselden
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2019 at 7:34 PM, Sasy Scarborough said:

There were Panther Girls long ago that were part of Gor, is that the same thing ? one of our tenants was one, she used to create clothing and went Gor because there was a lot of money in it back in the day, with all the changes of dress needed and the veils etc. She used to log in to cash out so she could pay for her WOW subscription. 

Back in the olden days all Gor sims had signage very detailed rules on who and what and it was very non Furry because they were not 'real' and people that were considering themselves following all the rules of Gor (that never read the books - not being rude, it was actually a very common thing to have a Gorean Master tell you they were following all the writings but had not yet had the time to read all the books but were doing it correctly ) would get crazy about it as mentioned earlier. If that has changed that is great if everyone works out a way to live harmoniously 

Well, I guess furries you couldn't be something like a Dragon for a kur. However, I've seen loads of people use panther & werewolves avatars from Jomo, Niramyph, and etc.

Kurri also drove space ships and had human female slaves that they would impregnate.. So you can't really expect giant dumb ugly monster. 

Edited by Haselden

3 minutes ago, Haselden said:

Kurri also drove space ships and had human female slaves that they would impregnate.. So you can't really expect giant dumb ugly monster. 

By this logic we should not expect the gor-gors to be giant dumb ugly monsters either... LOL

• 8 months later...

Here's what i dont' get, why even be human to begin with? The purpose of sl was to escape the limitations of rl, what do you mean "why" and another thing i really don't understand is why there is a petition going around to ban furrys from sl? Thats like some racist white ***** asking someone to ban there highest paying customer cause there black <.< same thing with these xenophobic humans passing out petitions at rallies for the anti furry co volition

Edited by Maestro85
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, Maestro85 said:

Here's what i dont' get, why even be human to begin with? The purpose of sl was to escape the limitations of rl, what do you mean "why" and another thing i really don't understand is why there is a petition going around to ban furrys from sl? Thats like some racist white ***** asking someone to ban there highest paying customer cause there black <.< same thing with these xenophobic humans passing out petitions at rallies for the anti furry co volition

Because not everyone wants to not be human, I have worn ears and a tail but would never call myself a Neko, because that was a grouping of people, where as I was just buying things that were cute and wearing them until the next clothing change, which back in 06 used to occur usually around every fifteen minutes. I have worn the old snoopy avatar for all of about 10 seconds because that thing was like the original character test, if you wore that if something was wrong with you and then went back you were healed, it was just the full change I know, but it worked. I have blogged a full furry avatar of a Cat hybrid to show that such a product was created and wonderful, but would never call myself in that moment a Furry. I used to have a pack of Baby Furs that used to come and hang out with me where I worked back in the day, because my Bosses let them be there, let them feel safe there outside of Furnation which at one point was so sex orientated they did not want to be there. My best friend was a Kirin for a year, the next year a 512 parcel sized dragon, but he never called himself by a title he was just him. 

I do not know of any petitions, if they exist that seems like something to report because it would be essentially a hate crime. It feels like a long time ago to me that there was such a division humans (skins as I call them) vs Furries. I really hope it is not the case anywhere, SL is for everyone, but the right to be a table with cake on it (my other friend has that avatar) or a Tiny, or a Fur or a three legged donkey, is just as the same as peoples right to be the same or different than they see themselves in RL. 

I miss those little balls of fluff sometimes, they were adorable, voice coming to SL changed a lot of that for many, the demands on people to talk etc, kind of broke the fantasy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maestro85 said:

Having a human avatar is not a limitation. A style choice is not more or less escaping the limitations of the real world. And SL has not a set in stone purpose. Everyone needs to define SLs purpose for themselves. Maybe your SL purpose is to be a giant anthro animal. Thats fine. Someone else may not find their purpose in being a giant talking animal character and thats fine aswell. Also I don't get why you dig up an old thread to rant about something with 0% relevance at all.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Maestro85 said:

Let's be honest here; an ass like mine is just as much a fantasy as being an anthropomorphic animal.

Also, the 'petition to ban furrys from sl' exists only in your mind.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Maestro85 said:

"Your world, your imagination"

People who want to be human can be human. People who want to be furry can be furry. People who want to be elven or demon or angel or fae or mermaid or a robot or a Great-Old-One from the depths of the Abyss can do just that. I know someone whose normal avatar is a shiny metal sphere with a hat on it.

There is no petition to ban furries from SL. At least none that's not just trolling. The 4Chan and Something-Awful folk have no weight here.

That said, any region owner can ban furries, or angels, or demons, or robots, or Great-Old-Ones, if they want to. Mostly it's roleplaying areas where such avatars don't fit the theme. Some upmarket clubs like Franks ban non-human avatars for the same reason.  But it's not the same as racism. It's more like a dress-code. It's the same as saying you have to wear a suit or a knee-length skirt in the office. 

If you want to visit such a place, the simple solution is change your avatar. Everyone has a Library-full of basic human avatars. It doesn't have to be permanent, and it doesn't have to mean anything about who you are.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Maestro85 said:

This is a 5 year old thread. There are no petitions and even if there were LL would ignore it.

13 hours ago, Maestro85 said:

Here's what i dont' get, why even be human to begin with? The purpose of sl was to escape the limitations of rl 

We could debate the "purpose of SL", but even if everyone agreed that it was to "escape the limitations of RL", who are you to decide which parts of RL someone wants to escape?

There are people in SL that cannot walk in RL, yet in SL they can walk and run and experience all of the thinks that RL denies them - and a whole lot of them are doing so as Humans.  If such a person is in SL to escape their RL 'physical' limitations, then why should they have to be non-human to do that?

Then there are others that are in SL because they can easier connect with people here without their anxiety limiting them as much.  Why should they have to be non-human for that?

Then there are all those folks that are in SL for some other reason besides "escaping the limitations of RL".

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We could debate the "purpose of SL", but even if everyone agreed that it was to "escape the limitations of RL", who are you to decide which parts of RL someone wants to escape?

There are people in SL that cannot walk in RL, yet in SL they can walk and run and experience all of the thinks that RL denies them - and a whole lot of them are doing so as Humans.  If such a person is in SL to escape their RL 'physical' limitations, then why should they have to be non-human to do that?

Then there are others that are in SL because they can easier connect with people here without their anxiety limiting them as much.  Why should they have to be non-human for that?

Then there are all those folks that are in SL for some other reason besides "escaping the limitations of RL".

I'm trying escape men with shoulders like gorillas, muscles like gorillas, and genitals of unnatural size (unlike gorillas).  Did I take a wrong turn somewhere....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Furries aren't hated in SL. As a matter of fact they are one of the biggest subgroups in SL and one of the oldest. There are very definitely furries working for LL. Yes, some RP areas or groups disallow furries, but generally it's not because they dislike furries, they are going for a certain theme that furries just don't fit into. That's fine. If the SL grid were wrapped around a planet to scale, it would be the size of Neptune. In that space there are many times more areas where furries are totally welcome than ones where they aren't. Try going to the former and ignoring the latter.

If there’s hatred for furries I’ve sure never seen it.

Quite the contrary, my PMs are a lot of less than desirable half assed flirting and straight up requests for bunny booty 

however there are definitely a lot of furries who leave a bad impression on very public places mainly for newcomers, just because not wearing any clothes with a furry avatar is permitted doesn’t mean you can wave your junk around

seriously, SI5, you know who you are, at the very least set it to flaccid or something, getting clotheslined by a dong is not what the average noob is looking for out of social islands 

EDIT: I gotta add onto this while I’m thinking about it, because it was a topic of discussion i was involved in inworld recently.

The whole furries don’t have to wear clothes thing. That’s been a topic of debate for a long time, generally speaking the more “oldschool” furries and avatar designs are from an era where it was normal within the culture. Furry characters didn’t wear pants or clothes at all. Fur is clothing enough. And many, if not most places accepting of furries are fine with that. 

...but within reason

If you’re running the old prim avatars with distinctly anthropomorphic features, it’s not anything that’s gonna turn heads. But more human like avatars, for reference, Kemono based bodies or modern dark spot designs avatars, you’re substantially more humanoid. That’s when instead of passing off that glancing interpretation of your avatar as “just a furry avatar”, you are now a naked furry. Your avatar looks like it was designed for clothes.

With that being said, that doesn’t mean you have to wear clothes with a humanoid avatar. It’s a bit weird sometimes seeing naked kemono avatars, primarily because there’s such a cool catalogue of clothing specifically for them, but if the place you’re in is OK with that then commit to the style you prefer.

But, if the owner or staff of a location tell you to put clothes on, put clothes on. Don’t get all defensive with “oh but I’m wearing a furry avatar so I don’t have to wear clothes”. Just put the clothes on and shut up. 

You can get away with a lot of other things, I’m usually wearing a kemono body on a DSD avatar, I look really out of place naked and tend to wear at minimum a shirt and ideally a skirt of some kind. I’ve never had anyone in a position of power demand I put on underwear, but if asked I would (none of my underwear works well with a slightly modded kemono body so I just tend to omit it)

Because that’s an issue I’ve seen several times. “But my avatar is XYZ style, I don’t have to wear clothes in A, B or C places!” It’s at the discrepancy of the land owner.

It can also in certain places really quickly draw unwanted attention in many forms, know the social context of the place you are and dress appropriately. Wether that’s wearing a full outfit, going bottomless, just accessories or nothing at all.

Edited by cheesecurd
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.