Furries in SL--why all the hatred towards furries?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Honestly, I think anti-furries are just mad that in SL we finally have a large diverse world, where furries have so many options, and are able to be themselves, and do everything human avatars can do. In other online worlds we're often forced to either be a species we don't like being, an individual character we can't customize as much as humans can be customized, or we're forced to be a human. Anti-furs hate SL, cause furries are able to exist here in all of their numerous diversity, without the anti-furs being able to do anything about it.

As for people who hate furries cause they feel it turns SL into a game, you do know many of us wish the technology existed in the current age to safely and effectively turn into furry like humanoids don't you? Maybe that disturbs you or whatever, I don't care, but if I got to decide everything about myself, I wouldn't be a boring mundane human, and I'd look like a hybrid between a human and something else instead.

I wouldn't give up my opposable digits or sentient intelligence either, but being a human when I can be literally anything? Yeah no, sorry I don't think humans are the pinnacle of awesomeness or whatever. And if someone hates furries so much, I honestly think they're scared of either humans evolving into more advanced species that look less human, or that they're scared of sentient non-humans who have opposable digits, and are capable of using humans technology.

That or someone in a fursuit was mean to them in the offline world, and they took it a bit too seriously and overreacted. Or they just buy into every stereotype the media portrays about furries uncritically. Generally speaking a good rule of thumb I think is, the more something upsets anti-furries the more awesome it likely is.

Lastly there are a few individuals who actually do have a rather, frightening level of hatred towards furries, although fortunately they seem to be quite rare from what I've seen.

• 4 years later...

I can't really explain why I don't care for furries. Most times I see one what comes to mind is, "why?" I just don't get it. And when I ask one they can't ever give a conclusive answer. A lot of them seem to be into vore. Seems something more in the realm of a big, scary lycan like Niramyth's  would be more desirable to be eaten by but no, a cartooney-humanoid-animal is what is favored. And trying to make them sexy is even a bigger, "why?". I just don't get it and nobody seems to be willing to give a straight answer. I certainly don't inherently dislike the person behind the avi because they like furries. It's like people who get turned on playing with poop. Why? lol!

I have such a wide variety of avis, and I never suffered any hate for it. Complements, sometimes confusion, but never any static.

But I get what the OP is saying, this is about as old as the Internet, but these days you'd have to go out of your way to find furry anything. To be honest, about the only anti-furries left are those influenced by 4Chan.

8 hours ago, Zenptiness said:

I can't really explain why I don't care for furries. Most times I see one what comes to mind is, "why?" I just don't get it. And when I ask one they can't ever give a conclusive answer. A lot of them seem to be into vore. Seems something more in the realm of a big, scary lycan like Niramyth's  would be more desirable to be eaten by but no, a cartooney-humanoid-animal is what is favored. And trying to make them sexy is even a bigger, "why?". I just don't get it and nobody seems to be willing to give a straight answer. I certainly don't inherently dislike the person behind the avi because they like furries. It's like people who get turned on playing with poop. Why? lol!

59b00f0798aca_pinheadnecro2.jpg.c2eb73758dc93fd3c16f0c5d74403433.jpg

9 hours ago, Zenptiness said:

Why do you feel entitled to have it explained to you. You don't get it thats fine, so unless someone is forcing you to be a furry or be a furry the correct response is shrug and move on. People like what they do and they don't have to explain it or get your approval if its not affecting you and not harming you what they like is really none of your business.

Read what you wrote and substitute the word gay, transgender, muslim, christian, jew etc for furry and see the bigot revealed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

Read what you wrote and substitute the word gay, transgender, muslim, christian, jew etc for furry and see the bigot revealed

Politician is funnier.

I can't really explain why I don't care for politicians. Most times I see one what comes to mind is, "why?" I just don't get it. And when I ask one they can't ever give a conclusive answer. A lot of them seem to be into vore. ... And trying to make them sexy is even a bigger, "why?". I just don't get it and nobody seems to be willing to give a straight answer. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Because animals are cool and humans are jerks. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen too much hostility against furries; in fact, maybe the opposite.

Probably the worst case of sheer bigotry I've seen directed against them came from . . . well, me.

When I was very new in SL -- maybe two or three months -- the parcel next to the one which was my main hangout at that time was bought by a furry couple who placed a home there. Being something of an idiot, I decided to do the "good neighbour" thing and drop by to meet them. I walked onto their parcel and shouted some sort of greeting at them -- and found myself rocketed something like 1000 metres into the sky. This was not just an ejection -- I was blasted by something. No warning, no indication that visitors with a plate of freshly backed prim cookies weren't welcome . . . just BANG followed by WOOOSH, succeeded by AAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUGGHHHHHHHH!

Anyway, I was furious; when I finally hit the ground I spent the next half hour yelling expletives over the hedge separating the parcels. THEN I came up with a more effective means of revenge.

The owner of my "home" parcel was a sweetheart (a foul-mouthed 6 year old with a predilection for setting off nuclear weapons) who had given me permissions to rez and build there, so I whipped up a sign in Photoshop, mounted it on a couple of prims, and set it up right on the border between the two parcels -- where there was nothing that the offending furry could do about it. Weirdly, I have a picture of it still (that's very early "me" next to the pic).

SF-Sign_001 - Copy.png

To be clear, the furry who had orbited me was, as became clearer in subsequent discussions with him, a major *****: he gave me no warning that he was going to "smite me" with his vorpal blade or whatever it was that sent me flying, and he was unpleasant throughout. That said, my response, because it targeted him as a furry rather than as an obnoxious individual, (which he was) was unpleasant, inappropriate, and, in SL terms anyway, "racist." It was inexcusable, and I am still embarrassed by it. My only real excuse is that I was new to SL, and didn't understand the degree to which the platform featured very distinct cultures that had little direct analogue to my own experience in RL.

And that, I guess, is my main point. it feels a bit wrong to refer to furry hatred as "racism," because the stakes in SL are so different: as we've been reminded, again, within the past week, RL racism is an infinitely scarier thing than banning furries from night clubs or putting up mocking signs about them. But being respectful to other cultures and perspectives is always an important thing. Furries (and Tinies, and Nekos, and vampires, and even *ugh* Goreans) are deserving of an acknowledgment of the fact that they do see themselves as distinct cultures.

(My story has a sort of a happy ending, btw. The furry next door demanded I take down the sign. I insisted upon an apology before I did. Eventually, after a long negotiation, I got one, and the sign went down. I never spoke to him again, and all of my subsequent interactions with furries demonstrated to me that they were, pretty much always, delightful, sweet, and accepting residents.)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
To reposition pic
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I haven't seen too much hostility against furries; in fact, maybe the opposite.

Probably the worst case of sheer bigotry I've seen directed against them came from . . . well, me.

When I was very new in SL -- maybe two or three months -- the parcel next to the one which was my main hangout at that time was bought by a furry couple who placed a home there. Being something of an idiot, I decided to do the "good neighbour" thing and drop by to meet them. I walked onto their parcel and shouted some sort of greeting at them -- and found myself rocketed something like 1000 metres into the sky. This was not just an ejection -- I was blasted by something. No warning, no indication that visitors with a plate of freshly backed prim cookies weren't welcome . . . just BANG followed by WOOOSH, succeeded by AAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUGGHHHHHHHH!

Anyway, I was furious; when I finally hit the ground I spent the next half hour yelling expletives over the hedge separating the parcels. THEN I came up with a more effective means of revenge.

The owner of my "home" parcel was a sweetheart (a foul-mouthed 6 year old with a predilection for setting off nuclear weapons) who had given me permissions to rez and build there, so I whipped up a sign in Photoshop, mounted it on a couple of prims, and set it up right on the border between the two parcels -- where there was nothing that the offending furry could do about it. Weirdly, I have a picture of it still (that's very early "me" next to the pic).

SF-Sign_001 - Copy.png

To be clear, the furry who had orbited me was, as became clearer in subsequent discussions with him, a major *****: he gave me no warning that he was going to "smite me" with his vorpal blade or whatever it was that sent me flying, and he was unpleasant throughout. That said, my response, because it targeted him as a furry rather than as an obnoxious individual, (which he was) was unpleasant, inappropriate, and, in SL terms anyway, "racist." It was inexcusable, and I am still embarrassed by it. My only real excuse is that I was new to SL, and didn't understand the degree to which the platform featured very distinct cultures that had little direct analogue to my own experience in RL.

And that, I guess, is my main point. it feels a bit wrong to refer to furry hatred as "racism," because the stakes in SL are so different: as we've been reminded, again, within the past week, RL racism is an infinitely scarier thing than banning furries from night clubs or putting up mocking signs about them. But being respectful to other cultures and perspectives is always an important thing. Furries (and Tinies, and Nekos, and vampires, and even *ugh* Goreans) are deserving of an acknowledgment of the fact that they do see themselves as distinct cultures.

(My story has a sort of a happy ending, btw. The furry next door demanded I take down the sign. I insisted upon an apology before I did. Eventually, after a long negotiation, I got one, and the sign went down. I never spoke to him again, and all of my subsequent interactions with furries demonstrated to me that they were, pretty much always, delightful, sweet, and accepting residents.)

I think Furries are like any “other” group - if you’re not a member, it is hard to see their point of view until you get to know some members of that group.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think Furries are like any “other” group - if you’re not a member, it is hard to see their point of view until you get to know some members of that group.

Well, yes. My lesson in tolerance came a bit later, when I hung out for a very brief time with a community of people who used to sit around a dancing pole, chatting and complimenting each other on their dancing and "sexy" avatars. What was cool was that the group included only a few furries -- and clearly, few of the others were very "into" that -- but everyone went out of their way to be complimentary with them (the furries) when they took their turn on the pole. It was pretty adorable, really, and it demonstrated to me how important acceptance is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I don't think your sign was "racist", Scyll.  I mean, you specifically say your policy doesn't apply to "any tinies or furries whatsoever except the people next door" ?

Hah, yeah. Right.

It's a bit like saying "I'm not racist! Some of my best friends are furries . . ."

• Haha 1

No, it's really not.

See, this is the problem with people who play the race card.

I say, "I hate Tom Tooley"

Tom and his friends immediately respond, "You say that because he's Irish.  You hate Irish people.  You're a racist!"

No...I don't hate Irish people.  I hate ONE SPECIFIC Irish person, Tom Tooley.  This is not racist.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No, it's really not.

See, this is the problem with people who play the race card.

I say, "I hate Tom Tooley"

Tom and his friends immediately respond, "You say that because he's Irish.  You hate Irish people.  You're a racist!"

No...I don't hate Irish people.  I hate ONE SPECIFIC Irish person, Tom Tooley.  This is not racist.

I certainly agree with the instance that you've given.

But in my case, I wasn't merely saying "So-and-so the Furry is a jerk." The whole premise and "humour" of my attack was founded on the fact that he was a furry. If he hadn't been a furry, the whole "must be kept on a leash" thing wouldn't have made sense.

So, a closer analogy to your instance might be making a joke about Tom Tooley that is built around the stereotypical drunkeness of the Irish, and then pretending that, in using that as the basis for my joke, I wasn't also insulting everyone who was Irish by employing that stereotype.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Ugh. Too early in the morning, and I'm a bit hung.

If you haven't watched CSI than you have nothing to worry about with Furries. That one Episode has no effect for me as I have not seen it but I heard of it.

However as many of you don't know Many Furries work in Information Technology (that means working at ISP's, Data Centers, Networking Building Computers or working on the Backbone Infrastructure).

Most of us Furries are generally nice and accepting but there are a few Runts that aren't, just don't get discouraged when you see a Runt..

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I certainly agree with the instance that you've given.

But in my case, I wasn't merely saying "So-and-so the Furry is a jerk." The whole premise and "humour" of my attack was founded on the fact that he was a furry. If he hadn't been a furry, the whole "must be kept on a leash" thing wouldn't have made sense.

So, a closer analogy to your instance might be making a joke about Tom Tooley that is built around the stereotypical drunkeness of the Irish, and then pretending that, in using that as the basis for my joke, I wasn't also insulting everyone who was Irish by employing that stereotype.

Gotcha.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm not sure why I'm even arguing with you. You're account makes me seem like a MUCH nicer person than I think I actually was. ?

Perhaps you ARE a much nicer person than you think you are!  Many of us think so...after all, we gave you all those reputation points!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.