Furries in SL--why all the hatred towards furries?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Lindal Kidd said:

Perhaps you ARE a much nicer person than you think you are!  Many of us think so...after all, we gave you all those reputation points!

Awwwww! Thanks.

And I'm MUCH nicer now that I no longer need to feel grumpy about my reputation count.

See, Maddy? You're wrong! I'm not high maintenance! I just require a little special care and feeding!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I haven't seen too much hostility against furries; in fact, maybe the opposite.

Probably the worst case of sheer bigotry I've seen directed against them came from . . . well, me.

When I was very new in SL -- maybe two or three months -- the parcel next to the one which was my main hangout at that time was bought by a furry couple who placed a home there. Being something of an idiot, I decided to do the "good neighbour" thing and drop by to meet them. I walked onto their parcel and shouted some sort of greeting at them -- and found myself rocketed something like 1000 metres into the sky. This was not just an ejection -- I was blasted by something. No warning, no indication that visitors with a plate of freshly backed prim cookies weren't welcome . . . just BANG followed by WOOOSH, succeeded by AAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUGGHHHHHHHH!

Anyway, I was furious; when I finally hit the ground I spent the next half hour yelling expletives over the hedge separating the parcels. THEN I came up with a more effective means of revenge.

The owner of my "home" parcel was a sweetheart (a foul-mouthed 6 year old with a predilection for setting off nuclear weapons) who had given me permissions to rez and build there, so I whipped up a sign in Photoshop, mounted it on a couple of prims, and set it up right on the border between the two parcels -- where there was nothing that the offending furry could do about it. Weirdly, I have a picture of it still (that's very early "me" next to the pic).

SF-Sign_001 - Copy.png

To be clear, the furry who had orbited me was, as became clearer in subsequent discussions with him, a major *****: he gave me no warning that he was going to "smite me" with his vorpal blade or whatever it was that sent me flying, and he was unpleasant throughout. That said, my response, because it targeted him as a furry rather than as an obnoxious individual, (which he was) was unpleasant, inappropriate, and, in SL terms anyway, "racist." It was inexcusable, and I am still embarrassed by it. My only real excuse is that I was new to SL, and didn't understand the degree to which the platform featured very distinct cultures that had little direct analogue to my own experience in RL.

And that, I guess, is my main point. it feels a bit wrong to refer to furry hatred as "racism," because the stakes in SL are so different: as we've been reminded, again, within the past week, RL racism is an infinitely scarier thing than banning furries from night clubs or putting up mocking signs about them. But being respectful to other cultures and perspectives is always an important thing. Furries (and Tinies, and Nekos, and vampires, and even *ugh* Goreans) are deserving of an acknowledgment of the fact that they do see themselves as distinct cultures.

(My story has a sort of a happy ending, btw. The furry next door demanded I take down the sign. I insisted upon an apology before I did. Eventually, after a long negotiation, I got one, and the sign went down. I never spoke to him again, and all of my subsequent interactions with furries demonstrated to me that they were, pretty much always, delightful, sweet, and accepting residents.)

Fascinating. This was what set Richard off, wasn't it?  

2 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Fascinating. This was what set Richard off, wasn't it?  

HAH!!!

Actually, I thought about that thread when I saw this.

Strictly speaking, no: Richard's rant came a couple of years later. But probably he served as a sort of dumping ground for all sorts of unacknowledged resentments!

• Like 1

Hell's Miranda:

You have the right to remain silent.  Anything you say or images you submit can and will be used against you in a kangaroo court.  You have the right to an attorney; you have a wide selection, they're all down here.  If you don't want an attorney or cannot afford one, we'll provide one anyway, it'll have more laugh value.  You're f**ked, sister; enjoy your stay.

• Sad 1

Well my experience has been quite the opposite. Long time ago i was really interested to join the furry community and went to some furry hang out spots in hopes to connect with them and make new friends ,only to be told i am a FAKE furry and what not. I personally think respect should go both ways. Treat others how you want to be treated.

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Hell's Miranda:

You have the right to remain silent.  Anything you say or images you submit can and will be used against you in a kangaroo court.  You have the right to an attorney; you have a wide selection, they're all down here.  If you don't want an attorney or cannot afford one, we'll provide one anyway, it'll have more laugh value.  You're f**ked, sister; enjoy your stay.

I object!

animals-courtroom-courts-court_room-lawy

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Awwwww! Thanks.

And I'm MUCH nicer now that I no longer need to feel grumpy about my reputation count.

See, Maddy? You're wrong! I'm not high maintenance! I just require a little special care and feeding!

Requiring any care and feeding is already high maintenance. How does adding "special" help?

• Like 1

I hate everyone equally. Except the guy who keeps DDoSing the grid, I hate him thrice as much.

Joking aside(excluding the hate towards the guy doing the DDoSing), I never really gotten angry messages from people about being a furry except on a few rare occasions.

• A troll (doesn't count, I turned the tables on him)
  • A new person who thought it was some sort of <word used for animal and human relations that the forum does not like> thing and said I was going to hell.
  • Angry mainlander who thinks furries should not be on mainland despite him not even having a parcel within 256m (if he has one!) of where I was at, which was on my own parcel.
  • Instant eject for wearing a furry avatar to a store, which is why I use a human alt to pre-read store rules now. Granted there are some places which are furry owned and are very angry about not wearing a sergal avatar and fake UN documents but yee, people can enforce what they want.

Although sometimes if someone meets a furry for the first time, not all furries are good. I know white a few who are jerks and are on my list of ANGER. This being said, they may insult or otherwise mess with people whom are curious about the fandom, such as misguiding them or """jokingly""" say that they are <insert x thing here to make it seem like a bad thing>, or go and just insult them for asking. It could also be from a bad first experience such as a furry orbitting a new user, they may get distain for furries until they later find out that not all are like that and every fandom has it's jerks.

Granted, at times I find myself disliking the fandom due to the drama that occurs inside it(all fandoms have drama but furry drama seems to be the biggest mess). In the end though I try to just shrug it off.

Edited by Chaser Zaks

6 hours ago, CallumBH said:

Are there still furries on SL??? I thought they'd gone the way of money trees, Bloodlines, 'bikers', hobos, nekos, NFL teams and active college sims.

Nah, they're still around. I don't blame them for being a bit insualar though, after all the crap some parts of the internet put them through.

50 minutes ago, operationhammerman said:

As lieutenant of the Second Life Police Dept. between 2009-2010 (Vance Buck) I can confirm that about 70-80% of all griefing we had to deal with was done by furries.

It is no wonder they lost all credibility IMO.

Ah yes, those unofficial groups playing off the SL name illegally.. 

1288388_roflmao_gif3c27b0c44b9f840665edd9a2d24b57f3.gif.1f30c0a9bf6aef70e7ae578ae719e4fb.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.