Furries in SL--why all the hatred towards furries?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/3/2018 at 2:36 AM, operationhammerman said:

As lieutenant of the Second Life Police Dept. between 2009-2010 (Vance Buck) I can confirm that about 70-80% of all griefing we had to deal with was done by furries.

It is no wonder they lost all credibility IMO.

This man makes an almost watertight case for the introduction of retrospective abortion

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:36 PM, operationhammerman said:

As lieutenant of the Second Life Police Dept. between 2009-2010 (Vance Buck) I can confirm that about 70-80% of all griefing we had to deal with was done by furries.

That's cuz youse never caught me, ya dirty copper!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think furries are the most creative people I ever met, they are probably the content makers that I enjoy the most in SL. 

I just don't like sexualizing animals, even in anthropomorphic form. I'd have a furry avi because I love creative looks, but the community scares me. I've had my share of trying and being around them and the closest friends I got were really depressive and they liked to spread their sadness and they'd guilt trip me into feeling sad too. And sadly I have to say ALL furries I got close to were very problematic psychologically.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It's a necro but basically running around claiming victim points will annoy people. If you are a furry then be a furry stop telling people 24/7.

On top of that, they don't have to like you neither. Tell me one person that gets no haters on earth. I know personally for a fact there's a French guy stalking my catalog because he doesn't like the fact that I outsource (despite openly declaring so) People will not like you for many different reasons; let it be being a furry, being anti or pro Trump, wearing a non-mesh body, having avatar too tall, having avatar too short, stating you don't mind what you saw in Stepford, list goes on, deal with it.

• Like 1

Almost all of the time furry and human avatars get along just fine in my experience. Particularly in furry clubs, which almost always spell out that yes, humans are allowed, and they'll also be stared at in a suggestive fashion. The fandom was built on an LGBT foundation so the acceptance runs very, very deep. Human clubs are a little more iffy, 99% fine but then there's the 1% where they claim that it's, say, a victorian RP club or something, despite the women having cleavages deep enough to hide a coke can in, and it feels like the roleplay rule only applies to furry avatars. But that's *very* rare.

That said I don't understand why anyone would go to human clubs anyway. It's just gestures. Gestures until the cows come home. </s>

Edited by Cinos Field

20 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

. Human clubs are a little more iffy, 99% fine but then there's the 1% where they claim that it's, say, a victorian RP club or something, despite the women having cleavages deep enough to hide a coke can in, and it feels like the roleplay rule only applies to furry avatars. But that's *very* rare.

But I don't get it. What's wrong with clubs or sims not allowing furries? Not to be mean or offend someone, but sometimes furries kinda take you out of the experience, especially if you are on a sim that is more rooted in the real world.

I mean just imagine exploring or roleplaying on, let's say, an urban sim, and all of a sudden you see a cartoon dog on its hind legs pop up out of nowhere and approach you. 

Idk, I personally have no issues with furries or whatever else someone chooses to be in sl (hell I have a child alt so im not stranger to being something that I'm not in real life), but im also a strong believer of there being a time and place for everything. Like I definitely wouldn't bring my child avatar to an adult strip club, so I think its okay for some people to have their rules and restrictions on such things.

I'm a furball and I've never had anybody dislike me because of it.  typically most go "why do you have hands and feet and not paws"  because my sona is a split.   skunk/fox/human aka sox.   most are "oh okay, I'm cool with that"   gets a bit silly when they go "dont bite me mister furry"  um,  I might look like a furball, but dont think I act like one.

Edited by bigmoe Whitfield
I dun did bad type again.

27 minutes ago, PookieTM said:

But I don't get it. What's wrong with clubs or sims not allowing furries? Not to be mean or offend someone, but sometimes furries kinda take you out of the experience, especially if you are on a sim that is more rooted in the real world.

I mean just imagine exploring or roleplaying on, let's say, an urban sim, and all of a sudden you see a cartoon dog on its hind legs pop up out of nowhere and approach you. 

Idk, I personally have no issues with furries or whatever else someone chooses to be in sl (hell I have a child alt so im not stranger to being something that I'm not in real life), but im also a strong believer of there being a time and place for everything. Like I definitely wouldn't bring my child avatar to an adult strip club, so I think its okay for some people to have their rules and restrictions on such things.

There's nothing wrong with it, like I said, 99% of the time, but the remaining one percentage when it just feels like an excuse. Any other clear violations of immersive roleplay rules are ignored, like as I mentioned, by having scantily dressed ladies on the street in Victorian England (and they're not RPing as working women), but a properly modestly-dressed furry is shown the door.

I'm sure there's some kind of reasoning behind it, but those scenarios are so rare that I've not bothered to ponder on it.

Well, to answer the original posters necro question, I think the reason for those who hate furries is simple jealousy. If I did not have such a cute, fluffy tail, I'd probably be jealous too. 🙂

On a more serious note . . . it's not like it was in the old days. The furry hate is a lot less these days. Most people have figured out that we are just people and not some kind of weird fetish and such. There are still haters out there. And, for some reason, a lot of people seem to feel like one of the big benefits of land ownership is the right to exclude others. Some do it via ban lines or orbs. Others do it via rules on not allowing some people in. 

24 minutes ago, animats said:

watercoolers.thumb.jpg.d17c9c5f2dc74c4c17cf412c43c574ce.jpg

The hierarchy of Second Life.

because there is no actual water in that refrigerator, all I keep seeing is the potential to put my mesh head in there on a shelf to cool down. Seeing as it is a million degrees in Oz right now, the option to do that would be bliss. Also the filling the furry tub with ice and just laying in it, also a good idea.

Furry confusion was huge a decade ago, and a lot of that came from Gor sims, banning, attacking etc, before anyone loses their mind, this is truth...when Gor Masters used to walk around SL with 'girls' and be outright open chat disgraceful towards Furries, it was a potential minefield, then on top of that people going to furry sims to cause drama, and so it got to the point that furries rarely left Furnation, so it ended up like being imprisoned for a lot of people. It was horrible, and yet Furries were so open to others, and so advanced in scripting and modification options, they were the start of a lot of things like prim hair for instance. I used to have a lot of furry cubbie friends when I was newer, and they would visit me at work, because i had all the powers so if anyone was rude they would be booted, It was like being a Disney Princess walking around with little cubbies following closely behind nattering on askins about this and that. The cubbies were also many years before kid avatars that were acceptable and not ***** etc. 

I did not know this was still really a thing, the hate factor, because the bigger communiities faded off due to land pricing etc, with huge Gorean chains of sims, Vampire sims like Transylvania, and the Furnations and Calledons etc, it seemed more like everyone was just everywhere. BareRose was one of the most Fur Friendly mainstreamesque stores, her ads combining skins and furries were epic for the time June Dion is an Icon :D

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.