Do you have real-life siblings who use Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No...xD They thought I was a weirdo using it! 

My brother thought it would be fun to make an account just to troll me inworld. But he got stuck on Orientation Island and didn't know how to get off, so he gave up on that idea :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

I'm reminded of a story I was told.. when my grandfather was born, there was a baby and a "fart".  The baby died.

THIS IS THE TYPE OF FAMILY I COME FROM!!!

Bonus: My blood brother (also have 3 step-brothers) used to tell people in college that his name was "a**hole". "Because that's what my mother calls me."

Be glad my brother is not in Second Life. He really IS an "a-hole".

• Like 3

As far as I know, nobody in my family would ever do SL besides me.

My dad would say it's pointless because all you need for communication across a distance is a good transceiver and set of Morse code paddles.

My mom would say it's the devil.

My sister would complain that the guys don't look like they have enough money to give her for nothing.

My brother would diss it for not being as immersive as DMT.

My daughter would probably at least try it, but when she found out not everybody wanted to play characters from Spongebob or Uncle Grandpa, she'd probably drop it and look for something else.

I'm the black sheep.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

My dad would say it's pointless because all you need for communication across a distance is a good transceiver and set of Morse code paddles.

So your dad was a young-un.  The proper terms for  telegraphy before radio existed was a Sounder to make two clicks upon making and breaking the circuit.  The first senders were Morse code Keys, simple lever switches you tapped to send dits and dashes.  Paddles, which are called Bugs today, came a bit later, since moving the paddle to the left made a series of dits while dashes were made manually with a left motion.   I sold my old classic VibroPlex bug 20 years ago for $150, so I could have the left and right mixed up.  When I was 7 yrs old I built a telegraph sounder using a wood block, a large nail, doorbell wire, and a couple springs, and a large 1.5 volt #6 size battery.  My parents were worried I would burn the house down. None of my friends wanted to learn Morse Code especially with a clicky old sounder.  They were more into baseball.

Here's one of the first sounders - electromagnet, soft iron piece mounted on a spring loaded fulcrum. The idea was to hear the acoustic click made by the telegraph key, 50 miles away, via the telegraph lines (the first internet?).  Yes this was the first electronic communication all over the world.  A skilled telegrapher could send and read about 35 words per min.  Now what is this PBR again?

563f9ab5ea20c6606ed28b2356845631.jpg

I was an only child - so no siblings to practice the Morse Code with, or join SL... (see, on topic)

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

So your dad was a young-un.  The proper terms for  telegraphy before radio existed was a Sounder to make two clicks upon making and breaking the circuit.  The first senders were Morse code Keys, simple lever switches you tapped to send dits and dashes.  Paddles, which are called Bugs today, came a bit later, since moving the paddle to the left made a series of dits while dashes were made manually with a left motion.   I sold my old classic VibroPlex bug 20 years ago for $150, so I could have the left and right mixed up.  When I was 7 yrs old I built a telegraph sounder using a wood block, an large nail, doorbell wire, and a couple springs, and a large 1.5 volt battery.  My parents were worried I would burn the house down. None of my friends wanted to learn Morse Code especially with a clicky old sounder.  They were more into baseball.

Here's one of the first sounders - electromagnet, soft iron piece mounted on a spring loaded fulcrum. The idea was to hear the acoustic click made by the telegraph key, 50 miles away, via the telegraph lines (the first internet?).  Yes this was the first electronic communication all over the world.  A skilled telegrapher could send and read about 35 words per min.  Now what is this PBR again?

563f9ab5ea20c6606ed28b2356845631.jpg

I was an only child - so no siblings to practice the Morse Code with, or join SL... (see, on topic)

My dad was all about me learning it, I just wasn't any good at learning that sort of thing at the time. Now I can write in 10 alphabets at speed, but yeah. I also was scared shipless of talking to people on the radio, so there was that, too. I got over my fear of communication.

To his credit, my dad did give me his old computer when he got a new one for RTTY. Even back then, I fantasized about something like Second Life, and wished we had it.

So in a very real way, my family's responsible for me being in SL. They made me an artistic escapist introvert and gave me a computer.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

My dad is exactly like that except he's never cared for "CW" aka Morse and these days prefers to use something called "Echolink" on his computer rather than his fancy transceiver. 
If my brother knows of SL beyond what may have been seen on my computer, it's not the type of game he likes to play with friends 

• Like 4

If it weren't for my sister, I would not have known about Second life, she saw an ad for it, and suggest that we try it, so later we all registered in the same day, me, my sister and our other sister too, they spent less than a month there ( was fun silly days ) and left, only I styed, everyone in my family knows about SL but they're not interested.

• Like 3

Anyone related to me just smiles politely when I mention SL, which is just as well.  This is my escape hatch, where I can relax and do weird things with total strangers and a few select friends who may be imaginary for all I know. 

• Like 3

My twin sister and I have always been in sl together although we are pretty quiet about it. We are both pretty private people. She joined with me when I got really ill. Her and I have been taking photos together for years. It is only recently we've opted into having indentical avis. We are indentical in rl so we went for different looks in sl for the longest time.

My husband is here with his sister. My twin is here with her husband too. Have my bestfriend here too. So yep, that is pretty much it.

• Like 5

On 3/5/2024 at 4:53 AM, Gopi Passiflora said:

Just wondering.

My step-siblings do not use Second Life.

I hope not. If my only surviving sibling is in SL, I don't want to know. I don't want him to know I'm in SL because he would deliberately make it even more miserable and lonely. My brothers weren't the sort to stand up for or protect their little sister. They bullied her instead, spreading rumors so the other kids would hate me.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 3/5/2024 at 1:53 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

Just wondering.

My step-siblings do not use Second Life.

No one in RL knows that I use SL. If any of my family members use it, I'll most likely never find out about it.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.