Stop Free Memeberships?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why do old accounts complain that SL seems empty, then devise crazy new ways to make it even emptier?

Also, did somebody forget that the majority of people spending money on the Lindex, and renting property on the private estates, and buying home and garden content, and customising their avatars are apparently, "free accounts".

Grumpity once admitted that subscribers were about 80,000, compared to LL claims at the same time of a userbase of about 800,000, at a time when about 80% of LL's land based revenue was apparently derived indirectly via private estate rentals companies from non subscribers who couldn't "own" land on mainland or homes in Belli.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I only became premium member when I decided to create and build for Bellisseria. I need a Belli home for precise measurements and fine tuning.
All the years before that I was a "free" account who exclusively rented on private land for my store and housing. I'm no mainland fan at all.

If one doesn't need the premium perks there is totally no need to take a premium membership.
One can perfectly spend their Linden dollars without that extra tenner a month. :D

I just bought a private land parcel again today. Of course no premium needed. Only L$ for the tier/rent.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Because I like that.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I assume this to echo a certain billionaire's plan to charge everybody who dares post on his private social network.

He may claim it's to keep out trolls, bots, and other miscreants but some finance folks think he's intentionally tanking the value of the asset, playing a game of chicken with the banks that hold the loans.

• Like 11

53 minutes ago, JonC Weatherwax said:

The only trouble I have is from free membership greefers and bots. Is it time to stop it?

no, I would think that every paying customer of Second Life started out as a free player. 

Even those that never go premium, I suspect at least occasionally buy Lindens and contribute to Second Life’s profitability in that way.

You can usually spot the ones that have been here for years and never put a cent in. 😬

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

I assume this to echo a certain billionaire's plan to charge everybody who dares post on his private social network.

He may claim it's to keep out trolls, bots, and other miscreants but some finance folks think he's intentionally tanking the value of the asset, playing a game of chicken with the banks that hold the loans.

Does this mean you are:

(a) for ending free accounts in SL;

(b) against ending free accounts in SL;

(c) have no opinion on the subject of retaining or ending free accounts in SL; or

(d) have an opinion but are unwilling to disclose it?

Edited by Unity Evermore
Clarify question.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JonC Weatherwax said:

The only trouble I have is from free membership greefers and bots. Is it time to stop it?

No, it would be the stupidest move the lab ever made. It would definitely lead to more sky is falling complaints, except those people might actually be right this time.

I would venture a guess that non-premium accounts bring in more money overall than all of the premium accounts combined. There are more non-premium accounts than there are premium. 

People who pay premium aren't somehow immune to being a griefer, either. Not to mention that griefing looks different depending on who you talk to.

I don't have a premium account, I never have, and likely never will. There is no incentive worth the, very hefty upfront (for me), expense. I have more important things to spend that money on, like snacks for my belly, and fun things for my classroom. 

• Like 9

Well if LL did that I'm not sure I'd become part of the premium elite, would probably just go elsewhere.

I have been a premium member before a couple of times, I found it wasn't worth it for my needs and dropped it, don't need any more expenses and I can't say I miss it.

I meet a lot of people like myself, we have found what we want in SL doesn't require premium. I had an old Linden house, then a Beli house, then I used to own parcels on the mainland, it was okay but no more okay than renting similar land privately as a free member, I certainly didn't get anything extra out of premium and owning land. Stipend was kinda cool I suppose but... I buy a lot of L$, 300L/week was barely noticed.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

That would probably be the fastest way to piss off the largest amount of users  at one time ever, in the history of SL.. It wouldn't just be the free accounts in flames either..

I don't think there will ever be the time for it.. Nor should there ever be a time for it..

• Like 9

5 hours ago, JonC Weatherwax said:

No. As an account as basic as my avatar, I contribute to the SL economy by paying rent.

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I don't recall ever having caused trouble for you in the past 19 years. Most basic residents are not griefers or bots.

This.

1 hour ago, ballparkdogg said:

I started as premium and now i am a free membership squatter. 

Free Membership Squatters is the name of my new punk blues band. #BandName

Edited by PermaRuthed
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Idea: Banish all free members to G-rated areas.

Congratulations on bankrupting LL and closing SL forever. Did you miss the "80% of land revenue comes from private estate rentals firms with free account customers?

Banishing the majority of the people who pay real money to LL directly or indirectly, to G rated areas, the LEAST popular rating = "Killing the Platform DEAD".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.