Stop Free Memeberships?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Well, that's good to know, I already have my graphics dialed down as low as they can go.

At least I still look marvelous though, even if the rest of you are grey jellies  😂

settings02.png

Holy frijoles, even my lowest graphic settings are higher than that. My system is definitely old, I'm pretty sure about 12 years (with integrated graphics), and certainly can't run on high or use ALM for long if I'm around a lot of people. It can still be set higher than that without causing problems. 

I thought my settings were pretty low and had been feeling a bit bad about them, because there really isn't anything I'm able to do at this time to fix that problem. I guess I'm doing better than I thought! Go me! 

• Like 4

On 10/29/2023 at 6:39 PM, ballparkdogg said:

I started as premium and now i am a free membership squatter. 

I am not renewing when its due. I will be a free account person. To be honest the only thing I really thought was worth it was the uploads of textures are free.  The rest is not really worth it. The housing really was nice but meh..

• Like 2

On 10/29/2023 at 8:45 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

I assume someone has hijacked the OP's account, and is making a troll post here.  Since he never explained how he was being "greefed",  I have to assume he is just using this an excuse to raise quick cash for LL.  Now who would be interested in doing that?  Hmmm?

Probaby one of houses I squat at when I am inworld

5 hours ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

Holy frijoles, even my lowest graphic settings are higher than that. My system is definitely old, I'm pretty sure about 12 years (with integrated graphics), and certainly can't run on high or use ALM for long if I'm around a lot of people. It can still be set higher than that without causing problems. 

I thought my settings were pretty low and had been feeling a bit bad about them, because there really isn't anything I'm able to do at this time to fix that problem. I guess I'm doing better than I thought! Go me! 

You work with what you have.

Whats funny is I bough a newer graphics card about a year ago, but it's still sitting in the box.

I won't fix it until its REALLY broke, ie it  shuts down every single time I log into SL.

If you did a survey, I'm sure you would find most people on SL are running with graphics settings on medium to low. Interestingly it affects no one but themselves, but that doesn't stop the high settings users from looking down their noses and sneering at anyone that dares log into SL with a less than adequate machine.

Its the same as the people (me included) who scoff at those poor souls that still use a system avi... elitism is endemic in Second Life.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed to to in

11 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

people don't have to use these viewers. It's time to move forward! 

this is to easy. There are many other programs already that scared users off by keeping adding techie stuff what's called moving forward. SL is a "user"community. When they go to fast with the complexity to play, it will hit their own feet. ( and the complexity is already often heared as reason for people to come once and never again)
There are many people with low specs. Together with the already slowly declining userbase it could go faster down than what the goal is of improvements: better playing.  (= getting more users)

Edited by Alwin Alcott

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

one more for the block list

Well then, feel free to add me as well but you need to hear this and ideally understand this: A graphics card overheating is not only not working okay, it's a suicidal firehazard to not fix it. That's neither a joke, exaggeration or me being an evul gamer grrrrl sneering down at you - that's a genuine safety warning.

A GPU is built to sustain heavy loads for an extended amount of time. It is also build with tolerances that some people use to overclock them. Your GPU, by your own words, is both underperforming compared to cards of similar makeup and still punching way past the tolerances by overheating anyway.

Block me, ignore me, insult me if you must but bloody hell:

Fix your GPU. Do it, please. Clean out the dust. Check the thermal paste. Buy an old cheap one on Amazon. Switch out the fans (probably costs more than just switching the GPU). Do any of these things. If you don't know how, there's people that will help. But hell - A GPU overheating is running so hot that your computer goes "holy hell, fire hazard!!!" and emergency shuts down everything to prevent a quite literal fire. Don't bloody chance it. Period.

Don't be like a friend of mine that lost nearly everything because he didn't bother to clean up his dust caked up notebook despite constantly overheating and it caught fire one day.

Edited by ValKalAstra
Always surprised at how overzealous the word filter is.
  • Like 13

On 10/29/2023 at 8:39 PM, Bree Giffen said:

There’s always a few people who make it bad for everyone else. You can’t throw the baby out with the bath water. 

Some other person owns a social,platform is trying todo that many times.And it does indeed not work.

Stopping free accounts is killing secondlife. Trolls and grievers can be handled other ways. Groups in secondlife is good tool.

Edited by Richardus Raymaker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ValKalAstra said:

Well then, feel free to add me as well but you need to hear this and ideally understand this: A graphics card overheating is not only not working okay, it's a suicidal firehazard to not fix it. That's neither a joke, exaggeration or me being an evul gamer grrrrl sneering down at you - that's a genuine safety warning.

A GPU is built to sustain heavy loads for an extended amount of time. It is also build with tolerances that some people use to overclock them. Your GPU, by your own words, is both underperforming compared to cards of similar makeup and still punching way past the tolerances by overheating anyway.

Block me, ignore me, insult me if you must but bloody hell:

Fix your GPU. Do it, please. Clean out the dust. Check the thermal paste. Buy an old cheap one on Amazon. Switch out the fans (probably costs more than just switching the GPU). Do any of these things. If you don't know how, there's people that will help. But hell - A GPU overheating is running so hot that your computer goes "holy hell, fire hazard!!!" and emergency shuts down everything to prevent a quite literal fire. Don't bloody chance it. Period.

Don't be like a friend of mine that lost nearly everything because he didn't bother to clean up his dust caked up notebook despite constantly overheating and it caught fire one day.

no reason to block you, i have no problem with constructive criticism or differing opinions, its that condescending “im so much better than you” attitude that gets a block, and not just because of one time, but a recurring pattern. 

And yes you are right in everything you say, ty for the input.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Second life will never be able to compete with, or look as good as  "games" because games are all preloaded.

The people LL wants to attract with the latest shiny are the very people that would have zero interest in Second Life.

We watched zuckerguy blow billions on his metaverse, which no one was interested in, and was where SL was when it started, but of course he  excuses his failure by saying the world isn't ready for the metaverse, ignoring that we have been here for a generation

You do what you gotta, my computer was new about 8 years ago, with a nvidea 705 graphics card, not great even then, but adequate. Eventually the fan in the card failed and the card would overheat and the computer shut down, so i dialed down my settings and blew two fans over the card. This worked for a long time, but then the card started overheating again, so i dialed everything right down to the settings I use today.

It works ok, the computer only shuts down a couple of times a month due to the overheating card.

Thing is, the computer is fine for everything else, and as long as I can log in with what I have, I'll just muddle along.

I just hate being forced to upgrade, because Firestorm has the 3 version rule and sooner or later I'll be forced out unless I get a new computer.

So, I log in, play dressup, hang out with my friends, build a little, and I'm happy. I don't need the latest marvelous gotta have new thing.

I'd repair your graphics card for you :) It probably needs a repaste and stuff. You could get a giant performance boost for under $100 with a newer model however. I used SL for years on hardware similar to yours because I wasn't in a position to upgrade and yeah, ALM really taxed it and wasn't nice to use.

I understand though, I don't want anyone excluded from what they're doing and I would hope that given this is a very big feature jump that Firestorm might drop that policy about old viewer versions in this case. I understand they don't want to be on the hook for supporting outdated versions of their product but there could maybe be some final forward rendering (I think that's what they call the non-ALM renderer) version that is excluded from the 3 version block.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

If you did a survey, I'm sure you would find most people on SL are running with graphics settings on medium to low. Interestingly it affects no one but themselves, but that doesn't stop the high settings users from looking down their noses and sneering at anyone that dares log into SL with a less than adequate machine.

Its the same as the people (me included) who scoff at those poor souls that still use a system avi... elitism is endemic in Second Life.

A hardware survey would be *very* useful and I'm surprised LL/TPV's haven't done it yet.

I'm pretty sure all viewers collect the necessary data.

3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

this is to easy. There are many other programs already that scared users off by keeping adding techie stuff what's called moving forward. SL is a "user"community. When they go to fast with the complexity to play, it will hit their own feet. ( and the complexity is already often heared as reason for people to come once and never again)
There are many people with low specs. Together with the already slowly declining userbase it could go faster down than what the goal is of improvements: better playing.  (= getting more users)

This isn't fast though, we're talking industry standard for many, many years stuff. It's a very delayed catching up although the engine it is being shoehorned into is stil very, very outdated... it's an improvement but ultimately the thing needs completely rebuilt.

It's not "techie stuff", it's not experimental, it's not revolutionary, it's just the industry standard (actually it's a cut down version of the standard) way of doing materials.

I agree that users who are running hardware that isn't capable of this do need to be able to access the grid still and as far as I can see still will be. The actual cost of rendering PBR on many systems won't be any different to the current ALM model, we're not talking the latest and greatest anything here and this is how games have handled materials for a long time now.

SL always had quite high requirements from day 1 though, I feel maybe people have lost sight of that. It always required dedicated graphics hardware even back in 2003, what happened was that for a brief period the integrated/basic graphics hardware found in every (non-gaming) office PC was fast-ish enough to support the non-ALM renderer. That changed (2013? somewhere around there) and once again SL required higher end, contemporary dedicated graphics hardware. You've nearly always had to be 'techie' enough to have a computer with this capability, for many years buying the cheapest PC with integrated everything off the shelf has not been enough to run SL adequately. It's not a platform that ever set out to run well on every single computer and the current complaints are the almost the equivalent of someone in 2003 complaining that their mid-90s PC isn't running SL well.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I'd repair your graphics card for you :) It probably needs a repaste and stuff. You could get a giant performance boost for under $100 with a newer model however. I used SL for years on hardware similar to yours because I wasn't in a position to upgrade and yeah, ALM really taxed it and wasn't nice to use.

I understand though, I don't want anyone excluded from what they're doing and I would hope that given this is a very big feature jump that Firestorm might drop that policy about old viewer versions in this case. I understand they don't want to be on the hook for supporting outdated versions of their product but there could maybe be some final forward rendering (I think that's what they call the non-ALM renderer) version that is excluded from the 3 version block.

the graphics card fan failed, the side panel is off and two external fans are directed at the card. Its good enough about 99% of the time.

I do have a newer card i bought a while back, i think this weekend, with the help of my partner, ill try and swap it out.

😬

• Like 3

Back on topic, to answer the OP, this 2.5 yo toddler says.... NOPE. 

As far as griefing, my worst incident happened while I was making an alt that contained the word Bot in its name. I was griefed by people with bot slurs and other crazy $÷×+ after hanging out at an Adult sim. Eventually the sim owner kicked off the alt, and I was so p1$=@+, I quickly chose to close the account.

Overall, I don't get the impression that most people enter SL to make a mockery of other people. IDK, it's mostly been good to this nomad, and I've done my best to return the favor, usually through purchases in the coolest clothes shops, buying a few bodies and heads, and donating a few L$ when I can!

That's not to say I haven't had catcalls thrown at me. So far I've blocked one person over catcalls, and sexual favors I wasn't interested in entertaining.

Nope, keep those free memberships coming!!! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

the graphics card fan failed, the side panel is off and two external fans are directed at the card. Its good enough about 99% of the time.

I do have a newer card i bought a while back, i think this weekend, with the help of my partner, ill try and swap it out.

😬

:) its like lego but with circuit boards, hope it goes well ❤

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

I am not renewing when its due. I will be a free account person. To be honest the only thing I really thought was worth it was the uploads of textures are free.  The rest is not really worth it. The housing really was nice but meh..

Sort of thinking that myself, and not because i cant run  SL viewer 7, In fact I can run it on medium grafix on most sims, and ultra on empty sims to take pics. Same sort of reason as you spiritsparrow.

17 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

:) its like lego but with circuit boards, hope it goes well ❤

My partner said she looked at my computer a few months ago when I was out of town. She said she couldn't quite figure out how to get the old card out.  We will try again this weekend.

If we can't do it, then  I go to plan B... get a bigger fan.

Eventually I will buy another computer. The one I'm using now is the second one I've run SL on. The first was windows xp with an integrated graphics card. At first it ran great, but it got to the point where being inworld was nothing but a pain, and I basically had to stay on my platform.

Dell had a great deal on a gaming desktop a few months ago, my daughter bought one and it works great.  I just can't see spending over a grand right now, If i don't have to.

Heck, right now they have a gaming laptop for 800 bucks, but I abhor laptops.

The plus side of using a bigger fan? It will blow all the dust out of the box.

I'll keep you informed 😁

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling
  • Like 2

I have never had such an issue with bots or griefers that my mind immediately goes to "end free memberships". In my decade of SL, I've encountered like two griefers ever.

The moment I'm forced to pay to access SL is the moment I jump off the sinking ship it would quickly become. It'd be the virtual Titanic and the paid membership is the iceberg.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.