Stop Free Memeberships?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

They could block free bot accounts for all I care but as far as free membership accounts instead of blocking them they could just be making it more enticing to be a premium member.

stuff like Premium viewer options. Premium Forum options like say a section for Premium members where we could talk about anything. Premium land options, etc. Plenty of ideas that could be made for paying members only. The premium options would be things we don't currently have but that quite a few have asked for. That way it doesn't take away what basic members already have but might entice more members to go premium if it results in some of those extras we know SL will never give us but maybe they would if there were to be more members willing to pay a premium price for it.

That's not an incentive to go premium. It punishes those who can't afford even the lowest premium. 

I have a much better idea: Everyone that suggests doing away with Free Accounts as an option is "voluntold" by Linden Lab that they will now be footing the lion's share of the Lab's bills - all other paid account levels remain right where they are.

What? You want to remove an income source from Linden Lab (Free Accounts do indeed account for a large percentage of transactions outside of the Premium fee) therefore you have to make up the difference. Personally.

What's that? Not fair? Absurd?

No more than the put forward proposition to do away with Free Accounts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

How come every time this topic comes up, it's always all or nothing? Why never any nuance or tiers?

Every other MMO out there with free accounts has various tiers with various abilities tied to them. For example, in some MMO's you can't send messages in zone chats (analog to group chat in SL) until you've spent some money. Great way to stop spambots.

Why not do the same type of thing with SL? Most free accounts in SL have spent money, so locking certain abilities behind that gate wouldn't even affect most people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That's not an incentive to go premium. It punishes those who can't afford even the lowest premium. 

No, it takes nothing away that Basic accounts already have but gives some other features that are not available to anyone now but could be brought in with very little to no cost to the Lab and used as an enticement to draw in more premium members. 

Some people are not happy with the reduction of Forum topics we are allowed as an example. If they added a section for Premium members where there is a greater range of topics allowed, it would likely attract some to invest in Premium. Same if they added a greater range of emoticons that could be used as post responses for Premium members. All the things that people would like to see here as an example are features that some of us would be willing to pay for if they were brought in as part of a premium feature package.

The current Premium features they have now is not sufficient for me to go Premium because I have no interest in them. If I want land, I'll go to my own grid where it is free so it is not an enticement but there are features I would be willing to pay for in SL while at the same time not depriving my alts or other basic members of what they have available now.

23 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Some people are not happy with the reduction of Forum topics we are allowed as an example. If they added a section for Premium members where there is a greater range of topics allowed, it would likely attract some to invest in Premium. Same if they added a greater range of emoticons that could be used as post responses for Premium members. All the things that people would like to see here as an example are features that some of us would be willing to pay for if they were brought in as part of a premium feature package.

The current Premium features they have now is not sufficient for me to go Premium because I have no interest in them. If I want land, I'll go to my own grid where it is free so it is not an enticement but there are features I would be willing to pay for in SL while at the same time not depriving my alts or other basic members of what they have available now.

When people are going to pay for premium to get emoticons or more political and other subjects call me... i'd get premium to laugh about them in their own forumsection. Perhaps you want a dedicated bickering section? 
The forum content is good as it is, can't imagine more would join or go premium for the forum, as a huge majority doesnt even come here.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

When people are going to pay for premium to get emoticons or more political and other subjects call me... i'd get premium to laugh about them in their own forumsection. Perhaps you want a dedicated bickering section? 
The forum content is good as it is. 

~shrugs~ sez you. Meanwhile many others are no longer logging in as the forum is boring.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Meanwhile many others are no longer logging in as the forum is boring.

you'r still here, even when making the most noise about it. Some (same word as you use in your post) will have left, but long not as much yet as the woke discussions. That caused a lot more damage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:
3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Meanwhile many others are no longer logging in as the forum is boring.

you'r still here, even when making the most noise about it. Some (same word as you use in your post) will have left, but long not as much yet as the woke discussions. That caused a lot more damage.

The irony is not lost!

It could be a chicken-and-egg paradox.

- Is it boring BECAUSE they are here?

- Are they here BECAUSE it is boring?

So confusing!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

I'm here a lot less as you seem to be. There are not the topics anymore to keep the interest and out of necessity will be regurgitated more and more due to the lack of topics that used to be allowed. Every day more will leave or not return because of the lack of topic diversity. There is no other way for that to go. The real question is whether that will start reflecting on the inworld concurrency numbers, something I suspect will happen unless they start bringing in some additional features at a faster pace to keep up resident interest.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm here a lot less as you seem to be. There are not the topics anymore to keep the interest and out of necessity will be regurgitated more and more due to the lack of topics that used to be allowed. Every day more will leave or not return because of the lack of topic diversity. There is no other way for that to go. The real question is whether that will start reflecting on the inworld concurrency numbers, something I suspect will happen unless they start bringing in some additional features at a faster pace to keep up resident interest.

dont worry there is a new feature coming that will pique your interest: “physically based rendering”. it will make your second life look so much more realistic it will make you want to be here 24/7, and go super premium too.

Unfortunatly for every person wowed and drawn in deeper, another will fall off the back end because their older computers wont be able to keep up.

Plus its been suggested a lot of older content will be broken.

Oooops, my bad you were talking about needing new features to keep the forums interesting, not in world 😬

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

How come every time this topic comes up, it's always all or nothing? Why never any nuance or tiers?

Every other MMO out there with free accounts has various tiers with various abilities tied to them. For example, in some MMO's you can't send messages in zone chats (analog to group chat in SL) until you've spent some money. Great way to stop spambots.

Why not do the same type of thing with SL? Most free accounts in SL have spent money, so locking certain abilities behind that gate wouldn't even affect most people.

Sometimes I think @Solar Legion has that laughing disorder. Everything is always so funny! 

But, they do say happy people live longer, so maybe Solar will outlive us all, having fun and agreeing with everyone all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

Good idea. Sifting the the free accounts so that all the fine people fall through and all the hard rocks are left behind. 

7 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Everything is always so funny! 

But, they do say happy people live longer, so maybe Solar will outlive us all, having fun and agreeing with everyone all the time. 

Thought for the day: the secret to happiness is Reader's Digest "Laughter, the Best Medicine", and "Hee-Haw" re-runs with the occasional Benny Hill re-run thrown in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

not as much yet as the woke discussions. That caused a lot more damage.

🙄

I almost missed this until you quoted it. 

In my opinion, it's the "intentional off-topic posts / threads that just HAPPEN to be about things some would call 'woke'.." This draws bickering and moderation, etc.

The fact the topics are "woke" is somewhat irrelevant, in and of itself..

Just my tuppence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

Good idea. Sifting the the free accounts so that all the fine people fall through and all the hard rocks are left behind. 

Seems to work fairly well for most games. Allows for free accounts to still exist while still providing some filtering from mass producing accounts that can do anything.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.