SOME furniture creators in SL. 

This is a cute sofa in this week's sales.  Why in the hell would a sofa, with a total of 4 cushions (2 bottom, 2 back) need that many freakin triangles?image.thumb.png.e06dde8444e5861546da7847037c16cd.png

And this is just one of the back cushions, with the High LOD being outrageous and the lower levels so horrid that the sofa breaks up before I'm even 10 meters away.

image.png.f349fc08c187131082f7cdf6b0dc2105.png

Sometimes I'm not sure if I hate the creators or the forum folks that educated me in spotting bad mesh.

I'm really going to have to prioritize my Blender learning. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sometimes I'm not sure if I hate the creators or the forum folks that educated me in spotting bad mesh.

Hate the creators.

Had you not known, you might have bought it, put it in your home, along with similarly laggy trash, and before long you'd notice that you couldn't be in your own house due to how sluggish things would run.

Besides, I've found that you can wring a lot of enjoyment out of simply laughing at the creators, and then at the poor sods who buy their stuff. Schadenfreude - the path to true happiness! 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Maybe if more people would give negative reviews of such products or their demo's, more people would have an idea of what not to buy and the creators themselves might start paying more attention to what they are putting on the market.

True - as long as one is prepared ahead of time for the backlash from the creator.  I've been banned from a few stores -- though if all of the stuff is made badly, I won't shop there in the future anyway -- and have had creators IM me with some really vicious comments (though that usually only happens if the creator makes their own mesh, which many do not).  I have gotten some better responses from merchants that buy full perm mesh - some do seem grateful for the feedback.  

Whether or not I give feedback is almost always determined by whether or not I'm currently in a place to be able to handle a possibly really vicious verbal attack.  You know, like where is my mood and emotional status currently at?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

True - as long as one is prepared ahead of time for the backlash from the creator.  I've been banned from a few stores -- though if all of the stuff is made badly, I won't shop there in the future anyway -- and have had creators IM me with some really vicious comments (though that usually only happens if the creator makes their own mesh, which many do not).  I have gotten some better responses from merchants that buy full perm mesh - some do seem grateful for the feedback.  

Whether or not I give feedback is almost always determined by whether or not I'm currently in a place to be able to handle a possibly really vicious verbal attack.  You know, like where is my mood and emotional status currently at?

We need a super secret group that adds items they find that are made this way to a list so others can avoid.  Anonymously, of course.  Those who shop mostly on MP will never know until it's too late.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

We need a super secret group that adds items they find that are made this way to a list so others can avoid.  Anonymously, of course.  Those who shop mostly on MP will never know until it's too late.

Or the ability to do an anonymous review though I can see where that might be abused.

• Like 3

Or a third party review site like the ones we have for rl products. Unlikely to ever happen but that would be SO useful. I feel the TOS doesn't protect consumers enough. Any reviews left on mp can be deleted (by deleting the listing) or leave customers open to relatiation from creators. 

21 hours ago, Orwar said:

Part II: When you go to pop the coffee in the microwaver, and it comes out reeking of artificial popcorn-butter because your roommates are disgusting swine who don't ever clean the kitchen after themselves. Who even eats that junk to begin with? Groans.

ME!!  I DO!!!!

download.jpg

4 hours ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

Assumptions. They can be an unpleasant and very false path for one to walk down.

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

True. On the other hand, sometimes assumptions are all we have to work with when others are not forthcoming.

1 hour ago, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

I do get that. This was simply a peeve and irritation directed at myself. No one else. 😉

I will never forget the first time anyone ever took and analyzed the word assume for me.  I was  a simple little hotel desk clerk who had the misfortune to tell a business man that his room wasn't ready.  I innocently told him we hadn't expected him to arrive when he did and used the word. He grabbed the pen out of my hand, scrawled the word down on his reservation and divided it into smaller parts, finishing with a flourish and a scowl.  Over 40 years later and I still cringe when anyone starts to talk about assumptions.

• Like 1

Downloaded the official SL viewer to take a look at EEP, and holy crap, I've never been so goddamn frustrated. What a unintuitive load of BS. Also makes my materials wonky, which is REALLY nice on stuff that is no mod.

I'm not peeved, I'm pissed, because at one point I'll propably have to switch to it no matter what.  Ugh.

• Like 6

Peeved at store landing points that do not place you IN the store. I'm sure the store owners think their landscaping is too beautiful to miss but not everyone wants to or has the hardware to render all that. Some of us just want to buy something and go.

When I find I have to run through a distance of falling rain, snow, and a maze of trees just to get to the store entrance, I give up and just go home.

Edited by AdminGirl
  • Like 7

It would really behoove new creators just opening up Marketplace stores to read the Forum's Community Guidelines before they start posting their MP link as a post in some random thread.  Also, for creators creating new Marketplace stores, to have read the Knowledge Base articles related to setting up and managing a Marketplace store.   Then - if you have a question and come here to post about it - referring to the section of the article you're not clear about at least shows that you put some effort in to find the answer yourself.

Otherwise, it leaves me wondering what other terms and conditions or procedures they've skipped over, which doesn't give me a good feeling about wanting to shop at their store. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My ongoing peeve with myself has been that before the holiday break, I assumed a writing project I've been working on for the last six months was looking pretty good at that point. I stupidly left it until the new year. Looking at it from a more rested perspective though, it wasn't looking good at all. There was so many things that needed fixing.

This has meant a lot more work getting it ready that could have been avoided if I hadn't assumed while exhausted that things were great and had done an extra proof reading the next day after sleeping a bit. So over a week later I'm still fixing what should of been done last month. The only good thing is I've not let anyone down but myself since this project is being independently done in my free time away from work involvement. I'm thankful for that at least.

At least a lesson learned I guess. I'm very disappointed in myself, but still a lesson learned. 😑

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

Peeved at store landing points that do not place you IN the store. I'm sure the store owners think their landscaping is too beautiful to miss but not everyone wants to or has the hardware to render all that. Some of us just want to buy something and go.

When I find I have to run through a distance of falling rain, snow, and a maze of trees just to get to the store entrance, I give up and just go home.

You don't have to move at all, you can zoom and get your item, or you can zoom to the item you want and type in the local chat: tp2cam ( that if you're using firestorm ), and you will be there in blink of an eye, that's what i always do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SarahThe Wanderer said:

You don't have to move at all, you can zoom and get your item, or you can zoom to the item you want and type in the local chat: tp2cam ( that if you're using firestorm ), and you will be there in blink of an eye, that's what i always do.

I don't even bother TPing to the objects.  I move away from the landing spot, derender any large trees or other objects in my way and then just cam shop from where I'm at.

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't even bother TPing to the objects.  I move away from the landing spot, derender any large trees or other objects in my way and then just cam shop from where I'm at.

Yes, but sometimes the item can be so far you can't buy it or inspect it, you'll have to get closer to be able to click on it.