46 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Yep!

I'd like to see the outboard motor that could scoot Britain off of the Eurasian tectonic plate. Don't hit Ireland on your way out!

Even Iceland is considered Europe and not North American though it straddles both plates.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Some update to my "smart home hub" system caused my room lights to go "Pure white".

I don't have a clue what color they were before. "Soft White" will have to do.

If you're anything like me all lights have a yellowish glow, I love that in the evenings. I think it's called warm white 💡

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 8:24 PM, Amina Sopwith said:

You're watching The Apprentice, aren't you?

Peeve: Joe got fired when it wasn't his fault and Cannon Guy got fired (haha) when he shouldn't have either.

Further peeve: The Traitors won't be so good next time either.

I am not watching The Apprentice, or The Traitors, but happened to see snippets when watching Gogglebox a couple of weeks ago. The Apprentice looks quite good for next Thursday as one team are doing something in a prison!!!

The Piano has potential. At least Claudia Winkleman has her own style, albeit not exactly beauty enhancing, and I think there will be far fewer duck lips on this programme.

Watching retro TV on ITV3 & 4 and Challenge seems to be the safest place for me to be. It actually feels like such a relief to see normal human teeth, etc. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zalificent said:

Britain isn't in Europe, and doesn't use that Anglophobic UTC stuff, which is poor imitation of REAL British Time, which we invented!

Britain is still part of Europe, the continent, but we have left the European Union recently. 

I prefer 1am and 1pm rather than 01:00 and 13:00 but I can live with either.

I can still convert decimal currency back into pre-decimal. I thought it was only going to be temporary. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Some update to my "smart home hub" system caused my room lights to go "Pure white".

I don't have a clue what color they were before. "Soft White" will have to do.

I prefer a dumb home.  My peeve is when trying to buy something and requires a smart hub. Even hear someone in world saying in a group they have a virtual smart thingy.

• Like 2

Peeve: when you open a link to an article, only to have a huge pop-up thing telling you that you must subscribe to the site to read the articles, and that you can sign up now for only €5 a month or get a discount if you sign up for a quarter or a year at once.

How the actual Hell am I supposed to know whether it's worth €5 a month if I can't preview even the first paragraph of a single article? Besides, in the case of news articles it's unlikely that they're the only place where I can read it, one quick news search later and I could read all about it elsewhere - for free.

• Like 9

Peeve: when you start lowering the volume during a song outro because you're finished with what you were doing and want to take a leg stretcher, but then this comes on .. So you quickly crank the volume back up again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I very, very seldom will pay to see over a paywall. I don't know how all these subscription sites stay in business. It's certainly not on MY dollars.

I did for a year with NYT.  Didn't use it enough to justify.

And a lot of the "linked by Google" articles I've seen are "free to read" - at least, some of these companies let you read a certain number of articles with a message, "You have X free articles to read for this month", etc..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I very, very seldom will pay to see over a paywall. I don't know how all these subscription sites stay in business. It's certainly not on MY dollars.

Our CEO recently pasted an article link into the Company Teams room (i.e. the whole freakin company).  Anyway, I clicked said link only to find that the referenced article is behind a paywall. 

I highly doubt that there are that many folks in the company that are willing to pay to read articles from that website.  Likely only the top execs and then a few other random folks here and there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Orwar said:

Peeve: when you open a link to an article, only to have a huge pop-up thing telling you that you must subscribe to the site to read the articles, and that you can sign up now for only €5 a month or get a discount if you sign up for a quarter or a year at once.

How the actual Hell am I supposed to know whether it's worth €5 a month if I can't preview even the first paragraph of a single article? Besides, in the case of news articles it's unlikely that they're the only place where I can read it, one quick news search later and I could read all about it elsewhere - for free.

Honestly, they should be paying us for the clicks.. hehehe

It's getting so hard to find places that don't feel like add bait.

• Like 3