36 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I think a lot of people have come over from IMVU at this point and just use static poses where ever they go, even shopping events.

I tend to go in a corner somewhere and cam shop, just so someone doesn't wham into me. I can't recall seeing someone go static at a shopping event, but it's really not surprising since there are a lot of cheapie AOs that are really just a bunch of static stand poses. 

Interesting. I always wondered if the Statue of Liberty is really just cam shopping NYC.

• Like 1

In common with many, many people in the UK I'm experiencing the Attack of the TV Licencing Mob.  They're at the point where they're calling at my home.  I was so annoyed with them today that I actually said "Be off with you!".  They scarpered all right, but from what depth of historical tv watching in my childhood did I dredge up that sentence?  People will think me odd.

I do not need a tv licence.

I am odd, though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

In common with many, many people in the UK I'm experiencing the Attack of the TV Licencing Mob.  They're at the point where they're calling at my home.  I was so annoyed with them today that I actually said "Be off with you!".  They scarpered all right, but from what depth of historical tv watching in my childhood did I dredge up that sentence?  People will think me odd.

I do not need a tv licence.

I am odd, though.

Are they actually physically at your home? What do they want to do, enter to check you haven't got a TV?

I paid mine but regret it 🙁 Most TV is just rubbish...I spend more time watching things on Youtube or reading.

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I haven't owned a TV for 20 years or more. Sometimes I felt a bit awkward about it
until I found at that UK peeps pay a license fee.

Then I knew I had made the right decision and have never looked back.

Not just UK, here in Ireland we pay the tv licence too, it’s a yearly thing. When you buy a TV (even online) the seller automatically notifies the licence people and they’ll come chase you if it isn’t paid up within 30 days (I think). 
Btw it’s regardless of how your tv is used, you don’t have to watch actual tv, even if you use it 100% for streaming Netflix or Amazon it still requires the licence to be paid. At least one licence covers the whole property at 100 something quid per year 😅 

Pure rubbish though, I never watch tv but my kids love some of the Amazon shows so it’s worth having one.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Are they actually physically at your home? What do they want to do, enter to check you haven't got a TV?

I paid mine but regret it 🙁 Most TV is just rubbish...I spend more time watching things on Youtube or reading.

Yes, they knock on the door, hoping to get people to admit that they have a tv and watch live broadcasts.  It's the second time they've been round, trying to act official and be scary, but they're actually just contracted minions of a private company, with no official powers whatsoever.  The horrible thing is that they operate apparently without check, and cause enormous distress to the elderly and vulnerable, all for the sake of a licence that may well vanish in 6 years' time (when the BBC's royal charter ends).

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Yes, they knock on the door, hoping to get people to admit that they have a tv and watch live broadcasts.  It's the second time they've been round, trying to act official and be scary, but they're actually just contracted minions of a private company, with no official powers whatsoever.  The horrible thing is that they operate apparently without check, and cause enormous distress to the elderly and vulnerable, all for the sake of a licence that may well vanish in 6 years' time (when the BBC's royal charter ends).

wow I'd never heard of such a thing, going on since 1923...and quite expensive too at 220.00 usd yearly.  Here, at least the elderly and vulnerable have the option of viewing tv over the air waves with a cheap tv and antennae if they can't afford anything else.  I do like the BBC programs that the tax funds, but would be better if they were supported by public donation or even advertisements.

• Like 3

The TV Licence in the UK goes back a long time.  I had a co-worker from there who told me about the licence thing and I was surprised.  But she said some countries use them to support their version of public broadcasting like the BBC. I got a feeling it's possible it my go away due to the way the viewing habits has changed.

Wikipedia has a good article about TV licences and some areas also have a radio one too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

TV_licence_(3714001810).png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

The TV Licence in the UK goes back a long time.  I had a co-worker from there who told me about the licence thing and I was surprised.  But she said some countries use them to support their version of public broadcasting like the BBC. I got a feeling it's possible it my go away due to the way the viewing habits has changed.

Wikipedia has a good article about TV licences and some areas also have a radio one too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

TV_licence_(3714001810).png

So is it possible to be charged with watching tv without a license in your country?  How do they catch you?  Is it paid per television set or per viewer?

18 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

So is it possible to be charged with watching tv without a license in your country?  How do they catch you?  Is it paid per television set or per viewer?

It's one licence for each household, and you have to renew it every year. And yes, you can get fined if you don't pay and they can prove you're watching TV - they used to be able to send you to prison too! 🙁

Even just watching the England vs Italy final for a few hours on BBC iPlayer,  they flash up a message about 'Have you paid your licence?" and make you sign in. 

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

56 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

It's one licence for each household, and you have to renew it every year. And yes, you can get fined if you don't pay and they can prove you're watching TV - they used to be able to send you to prison too! 🙁

Even just watching the England vs Italy final for a few hours on BBC iPlayer,  they flash up a message about 'Have you paid your licence?" and make you sign in. 

Same here it’s unbelievable 🤦‍♀️

if the State tv funded by the licence were  good, one could close an eye and at least be happy that those who can’t afford subscriptions or Sky still can have some quality entertainment. In our case though it’s pure rubbish so I really cannot justify paying it (I pay it though) 😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Before more worthy usual suspects tick in so a DJ Peeve but I am not one

Well is open? OK:)

This is for 'dj' stuff. Any ad for work that uses Goggle forms that needs a login - V2FF instant nuke as are all c and p variations

Ask for a stream URL? :) no. Available as required.  get out and listen (see below)

Where you work? good - why not come listen

51 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Before more worthy usual suspects tick in so a DJ Peeve but I am not one

Well is open? OK:)

This is for 'dj' stuff. Any ad for work that uses Goggle forms that needs a login - V2FF instant nuke as are all c and p variations

Ask for a stream URL? :) no. Available as required.  get out and listen (see below)

Where you work? good - why not come listen

While on the DJ --- when a club says the song titles need to be turned off. My man checked a club for a DJ gig and was told that. When he said he couldn't do that due to that due to the terms of our licence, the staff person said "sorry no tltles or no gig." My man warped out.

And the latest --- major price increase from a forum software publisher. I mboard I help admin that place and we just got a notice the renewal is jumping a fair chunk of change and the board owner is moving to a different forum package.

The software in question is the same one that is used here --- Invision and the new board we're migrating to is from XF (Xenforo).

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Brain fart.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

And the latest --- major price increase from a forum software publisher. I mboard I help admin that place and we just got a notice the renewal is jumping a fair chunk of change and the board owner is moving to a different forum package.

The software in question is the same one that is used here --- Invision and the new board we're migrating to is from XF (Xenforo).

VVO and one of the games I play uses Xenforo. LL should switch. Much better platform than InVision.

• Thanks 1