I don't have a lot of real friends, but I do have a lot of imaginary ones.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Empanadas - they are fabulous (if made right, anyway)

Around here, we'd call that a pirogue. 

.. Or a Calzone, if you ask a millennial. 

• Like 1

Food is on topic for friends -- food is my friend.

Then there are perogies - slightly different dough from empanadas & usually boiled, steamed, or lightly pan fried (whereas empanadas are typically deep fried).  Traditionally filled with mashed potato & cheese & onions, but sometimes with some meat.

Then at the local Asian places, we can get dumplings -- similar, but different -- that are also either steamed or pan fried (usually).

These are perogies:
image.png.45a898b7ade47337dd3f330042271950.png

Two types of Asian dumplings that I get:
image.png.6b1cee12f054cb73d8134c18ea8e36bf.png  image.png.8b6fd27fff73e7dad58e0b37de7a72a8.png

@Matilda Melune -- those look awesome also.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

image.png.8b6fd27fff73e7dad58e0b37de7a72a8.png

Those are  baozi ( 包子 ), steamed dumplings. 

25 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

image.png.6b1cee12f054cb73d8134c18ea8e36bf.png 

And those are jiaozi ( 餃子 ), because they are horn-shaped. Jiaozi can be fried sometimes instead of steamed. I've had friends show me how to make both baozi and jiaozi, but mine always fall apart and look ugly.  They are really yummy, though.

And then there are knishes, which aren't in my culinary tradition either, but are also yummy:

Mini Sweet Potato Knishes - Jamie Geller

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Meat pies?  Ick.  Pies are for sweet desserts like apple pie or pumpkin pie.  They are not for meat.

You are obviously not British. Or Australian Or a Kiwi.

Meat pies are a staple, here. Pork pies, steak and kidney pies, beef and ale pies, chicken and mushroom pies. Those crazy Kiwis have steak and cheese pies (I want to try one of those).  Then there are pasties, which look like those pizza things, but they are pasties, not pies. The outer casing is pastry rather than bread. Proper Cornish pasties are filled with mutton meat (sheep) and carrots, not pepperoni and mozarella. They should be baked, not fried. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'd say we've gotten way off topic but seems to me friends and food go quite well together.

One thing I have noticed about the best clubs in Second Life - the conversation in local chat always ends up on the topic of food sooner or later. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Pork pies, steak and kidney pies, beef and ale pies, chicken and mushroom pies.

Britain's greatest contribution to world cuisine. Only Yorkshire pud and trifle come close.

I mean that entirely unsarcastically: I KILL for steak and kidney pies.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Britain's greatest contribution to world cuisine. Only Yorkshire pud and trifle come close.

I mean that entirely unsarcastically: I KILL for steak and kidney pies.

I despise kidneys. Can't even bear to be in the house when they're being cooked. 

Yorkshire pud, on the other hand, is the food of the gods. Where I grew up in the East Midlands, it was typically served not with the main meal like they do in Yorkshire, but as a starter, with just gravy and onions. The idea being that you fill up on cheap pud, and eat less meat.  When I'm doing a roast dinner at home I like to make extra Yorkshire puds so I can use it as a dessert too; it's delish with fruit, ice cream and maple syrup. (for those who don't know, Yorkshire pudding is basically waffle batter, cooked in a flat tray in the oven without the waffle iron).  Yorkshire pud cooked with sausages in it, aka "Toad in the Hole" is also a traditional northern English dish. You need proper Cumberland or Lincolnshire sausages though. Frankfurters will not do.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I despise kidneys. Can't even bear to be in the house when they're being cooked. 

Yorkshire pud, on the other hand, is the food of the gods. 

When I was a kid my mum would do faggots with yorkshire puds. (and that one will get censored I'm sure). They are more a West Midlands thing, they are basically soft squishy meatballs, sometimes called "ducks" though I have no idea why. I always hated them.

I'm with you on kidneys. They make the whole house smell of... um... that stuff that kidneys produce. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

When I was a kid my mum would do faggots with yorkshire puds. (and that one will get censored I'm sure). They are more a West Midlands thing, they are basically soft squishy meatballs, sometimes called "ducks" though I have no idea why. I always hated them.

I'm with you on kidneys. They make the whole house smell of... um... that stuff that kidneys produce. 

We'd just have them with boiled potatoes and peas. Or crispy pancakes (hideous). 

fa.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

We'd just have them with boiled potatoes and peas. Or crispy pancakes (hideous). 

fa.jpeg

Yep those are the ones. We'd have them with boiled or mashed potatoes sometimes too but never with crispy pancakes. You mean the frozen Findus ones filled with cheese or mince, right? We had those as an entirely different meal, usually with chips & baked beans. I liked the cheese ones best.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 8:44 PM, Amina Sopwith said:

Can you message it to me?

Please. I've got Covid. I'm stuck in isolation with a small child, no corkscrew and a Prime Minister who knows how to party.

I'm laughing at the P.M. part, not because you've got covid - and I hope you're feeling better every day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Yep those are the ones. We'd have them with boiled or mashed potatoes sometimes too but never with crispy pancakes. You mean the frozen Findus ones filled with cheese or mince, right? We had those as an entirely different meal, usually with chips & baked beans. I liked the cheese ones best.

My mother really was an appalling cook. As my brother puts it, she'd put seven vegetables into a pressure cooker for twenty minutes and out would come a bar of soap! 

The faggots and the crispy pancakes we would have a choice of, because my dad would have two faggots and if she only got a box of four, it didn't really split between another adult and three kids. I liked the cheese crispy pancakes the best too. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

My mother really was an appalling cook. As my brother puts it, she'd put seven vegetables into a pressure cooker for twenty minutes and out would come a bar of soap! 

The faggots and the crispy pancakes we would have a choice of, because my dad would have two faggots and if she only got a box of four, it didn't really split between another adult and three kids. I liked the cheese crispy pancakes the best too. 

I am so lucky. My grandmother (English) was a superb cook who would have been a great deal more adventurous had my grandfather any interest in food that wasn't very conventional Brit fare. But what she did cook, which was a pretty broad range of English dishes, she managed superbly. My mother (also brought up in England) is even better, and has been able to tackle a far broader range of cuisines -- but both left me with a healthy respect for real English peasant fare.

1 hour ago, Lewis Luminos said:

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

Savages, the both of you. Although I'll confess I mostly prefer kidney in things. When I was a kid, I ate them fried, with tons of HP Sauce (which is the salve for all slightly suspect foods). Preferably with bubble and squeak.

I have not retained a fondness for liver since becoming an adult, however.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
"fare" not "fair"
  • Like 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am so lucky. My grandmother (English) was a superb cook who would have been a great deal more adventurous had my grandfather any interest in food that wasn't very conventional Brit fair. But what she did cook, which was a pretty broad range of English dishes, she managed superbly. My mother (also brought up in England) is even better, and has been able to tackle a far broader range of cuisines -- but both left me with a healthy respect for real English peasant fare.

Savages, the both of you. Although I'll confess I mostly prefer kidney in things. When I was a kid, I ate them fried, with tons of HP Sauce (which is the salve for all slightly suspect foods). Preferably with bubble and squeak.

I have not retained a fondness for liver since becoming an adult, however.

I married a trainee chef when I was 29. He really was a good cook, but very VERY messy. His Key Lime Pie was to die for, but he never mastered meringue for some unknown reason. He works as a delivery driver now!

I love lambs liver fried off in a pan of onions with buttery mashed potatoes. 

Kidneys too, if cooked correctly (with red wine).

(Heck now I may be channeling Hannibal Lecter!)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I married a trainee chef when I was 29. He really was a good cook, but very VERY messy. His Key Lime Pie was to die for, but he never mastered meringue for some unknown reason.

My mother was deadly in the kitchen. She tried a low-cal key lime pie recipe on us once. We'll never know what she did, but the thing was stiff enough to use as a doggie chew toy and the next day our blender wouldn't work. Dad pulled it apart and found what looked like fishing line wrapped around the blades at the bottom of the pitcher. On closer inspection, it turned out to be hardened gelatin.

The pie was awful, but accusing her of trying to feed us old fishing line was oh-so-sweet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.