I don't have a lot of real friends, but I do have a lot of imaginary ones.

Does anyone remember...years ago, somebody discovered a forum (nothing to do with SL) and there were hundreds of thousands of messages, and it was all one user...she didn't even use alts, there were threads and threads (like this place) and it was just her posting to herself...it became one of these notorious creepy internet stories, but I can't remember what the forum was called and nothing's coming up on Google 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

...the slight horror I feel when my own avi is distorted or screwed up somehow.

Horror?

I keep this "Skrunkled Avatar" in my outfits. She looks more like the RL me than any other avatar I've fashioned.

302521219_SkrunkledAvatar.thumb.jpg.9d5e7bec6727aabd1f294fde4f81b701.jpg

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Does anyone remember...years ago, somebody discovered a forum (nothing to do with SL) and there were hundreds of thousands of messages, and it was all one user...she didn't even use alts, there were threads and threads (like this place) and it was just her posting to herself...it became one of these notorious creepy internet stories, but I can't remember what the forum was called and nothing's coming up on Google 🤔

Did the forum have anything to do with Disney?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Did the forum have anything to do with Disney?

I can't remember now, I think it may have been a Twilight forum? But nothing's coming up for that...I'm sure there are Youtube videos about it...hmm...

• Like 1

Just now, Rat Luv said:

I can't remember now, I think it may have been a Twilight forum? But nothing's coming up for that...I'm sure there are Youtube videos about it...hmm...

Probably not the same one I stumbled across last year then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

Rat, your recollection intrigued me, so I went looking and stumbled into this instead:
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2021/08/dead-internet-theory-wrong-but-feels-true/619937/

I really like the idea that some AI algorithm is caught up in a forum of its own making, unaware that it's talking to itself.

This forum sometimes makes a compelling argument for the "dead internet" theory.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

My imaginary friends are my alternate accounts.

Is there anyone else who considers their alts their "friends"?

No I don't. 

Whoever I am logged in as is me, the person behind the keyboard. The ones I roleplay in take on slightly different characters to me, but they are all me and not friends of me/mine. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

My alts are all different and I'll log in with whichever one I'm feeling each day 

Cinnamon is my main.  She is all real life me.  She has friends and socializes.  She's open and honest and comfortable being herself.  When I'm not feeling open to socialize or I'm anxious, I use:

Zerrine Is  mischievous and outgoing.   She pulls pranks and teases people for fun.  She is the most likely of my alts to pick up strangers. 

Cora is quiet, shy, pretty innocent and a bit naive.  She won't be found in adult areas.  She explores alone mostly in fantasy areas.  She rarely talks to anyone.

Polly is an intellectual.  She goes in when Cinn doesn't want to be bothered with IMs from friends.  She goes to science lectures mostly.

Mike is a male alt I made.  I don't use him for anything.  Poor guy rarely sees the light of day.  I am so uncomfortable driving his avatar,  that i just log him in to see if I can dress up a guy and make it look passable. 

They aren't friends, but different parts of the whole.

I haven't taken my Sparky out for a while, but when I do, I still feel like me, just with a leaning more towards the male side of me. On the rare occasion he encounters anyone, he speaks before he thinks more than I do, and I talk about him like he's not me! Now that is a little weird, even to me. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't really have friends, real or imaginary

I am sure that you do. We even had a mutual friend for a while, your old dancing partner - my that's going back a long long time. Mr Soyer I think his name was. 

And we're all kind of friends/acquaintances here on the forums. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't really have friends, real or imaginary

Whether you consider people friends or not is your call.

Whether people like you or not is their call.

You have at least one person who likes you.

Now, as to whether that person is real or imaginary...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

My alts would probably say no, as if they ever discovered money inworld I made them pay it on to me 9_9

It might be fun if everyone used their alts for one day on the forum, to see if anyone can guess who's who...

I would no doubt out myself straightaway and be easy to spot as my alt. 😜 

Hey, welcome me to the forums! ? :D

Edited by BaggyStringer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

My alts would probably say no, as if they ever discovered money inworld I made them pay it on to me 9_9

It might be fun if everyone used their alts for one day on the forum, to see if anyone can guess who's who...

Everything I do

Even for you

Will be in blue

But there is no doubt

And you don't need to shout

My real self is out!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

... and this one, strictly speaking, belongs to my brother. The main reason I started an account with Second Life was to try and get him interested in using his computer again while he was recovering from a major stroke. It's still me though. 

My alts are not used for nefarious purposes. They're quiet time for me sometimes. But this one never gets used and is only being used now with the permission of my brother. He may not use it, but neither do I. 

I feel so uncomfortable logged in on this account though, it's like I'm wearing his trousers!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

It wasn't me, but I'm starting to creep myself out on this thread with this many alts being outed at one time! 

10 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

...sets you on fire.

This one already is halfway to setting itself on fire! (And settles on the fire-coloured font too)

Horniblow.jpg

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Because he's male?

I am soooo uncomfortable using a male alt or body. The feeling is somewhat akin to the slight horror I feel when my own avi is distorted or screwed up somehow.

I find that when I am on with my male Avi, I have a tendency to take things to personally, If Ayeleeon gets rejected, I feel rejected. But if one of my female alts gets rejected it doesn't bother me. It is much easier to keep my emotions separate from what is going on in SL. This is why sometimes when I am having a bad day, one of the girls will come out.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I think of my alts as time-division multiplexing of consciousness. Where each avatar I own is a discrete part of one consciousness but divided over time. I exist as all of them.

30 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

No I don't. 

Whoever I am logged in as is me, the person behind the keyboard. The ones I roleplay in take on slightly different characters to me, but they are all me and not friends of me/mine. 

I love the English language. We both said the same thing but in very different ways, and must have both been typing at the same time.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Reminds me of Captain Kutchie's Key Lime Pie and Orie Chef.

Who Wrote All The Disturbing Reviews For This Pie? - YouTube

Nexpo:  https://youtu.be/JkhDqhzr1c8?t=801

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This might be a double headbanger for the older forumites or alts of. There was another Storrm Firecaster on these forums but with a slightly different spelling. We are not at all related and this naming was purely coincidental.

On the back of the photo it says: from l-r Marigold, Janelle, Storrm, Klessy. One of the rare occasions I was feeling sociable I guess, and we were people watching at one of the adult safe hubs.

storrm 2.jpg

• Like 5