I don't have a lot of real friends, but I do have a lot of imaginary ones.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Like Persephone, perhaps, I couldn't say my alts are my "friends," exactly, but they do have personalities.

Laskya is essentially me, and in fact I used her account in-world and on the forums for a while as, essentially, a stand in for "Scylla." But it's my perception, probably undetectable by anyone else, that she represents a slightly different side of me.

Richard Parkes, my other alt, is . . . well, a few older posters here will remember him as an obnoxious and slightly idiotic (and hopefully reasonably funny) parody of a Gorean master. He never really had an in-world existence: he was solely for producing funny threads here (although I have occasionally used him as an "extra" in photos). For me, he'll always be a jerk.

I do have some other characters -- separate avatars, but on this account -- that I've used for photos, and who have developed a personality of their own, and occasionally reappear in photos as "themselves." There's Bree, the brave 15 year-old bouncing back from trauma and embracing her sexuality.

Bree's Equation

And there's Gabby, my Millennial university student.

Life Drawing: Connection

These characters have a kind of reality for me -- they are full-developed "people" who live in my head so . . . not "friends" but certainly personalities.

For a photo I did for my most recent exhibition, I featured Gabby as the victim of date r*pe. I deliberately used her for this because I thought the photo would be less effective if I used a throw-away avatar. I wanted to "feel" the violation. I wanted it to feel like it hurt me, what I was depicting happening to her.

And, you know, it did.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 14

I have an alt who graciously tests scripts for me and checks to be sure that I've put the right permissions on them, but she's not very sociable. I have another who has been in hiding for several years since I offended her by forgetting her password.  And another who is a cat.  She's quite friendly but -- you know cats -- sort of aloof.  They are all nice, but not one of them has ever said a word to me, so I can't say that I'd think of them as friends.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

My alts are all different and I'll log in with whichever one I'm feeling each day 

Cinnamon is my main.  She is all real life me.  She has friends and socializes.  She's open and honest and comfortable being herself.  When I'm not feeling open to socialize or I'm anxious, I use:

Zerrine Is  mischievous and outgoing.   She pulls pranks and teases people for fun.  She is the most likely of my alts to pick up strangers. 

Cora is quiet, shy, pretty innocent and a bit naive.  She won't be found in adult areas.  She explores alone mostly in fantasy areas.  She rarely talks to anyone.

Polly is an intellectual.  She goes in when Cinn doesn't want to be bothered with IMs from friends.  She goes to science lectures mostly.

Mike is a male alt I made.  I don't use him for anything.  Poor guy rarely sees the light of day.  I am so uncomfortable driving his avatar,  that i just log him in to see if I can dress up a guy and make it look passable. 

They aren't friends, but different parts of the whole.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 8

I don't really have alts per se.  I have my original avatar and one other that I used briefly.  I don't consider them alts really as once I've shelved one, it doesn't come back.  I did log my original in awhile back to visit a shopping event where the owner was banning system.looking avatars.  I did log in the one other just to grab the free Lelutka head.  I'm not sure why but what the heck.

Each one was me.  I can't consider them friends as I never thought of them as being separate entities.  If that makes sense.

• Like 6

SL has had a massive impact on the direction my life has taken in just about every way imaginable. My alts are previous lives, like changing the background track to your life, it's good to draw a line and start over (if only for inventory sanity, and anyone who knew me on one, will have been told and friended on the next).

There are a couple of test and bot accounts that occasionally get dragged out of retirement .. making things for sale has me paranoid about permissions and everything working as packaged.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

My imaginary friends are my alternate accounts.

Is there anyone else who considers their alts their "friends"?

My alt considers me his best friend and I make him believe it but I try to keep my distance and not give him too many confidences.
He is quite a nice and sociable type but very often he communicates only through gestures and embarrasses me.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Is there anyone else who considers their alts their "friends"?

My alts would probably say no, as if they ever discovered money inworld I made them pay it on to me 9_9

It might be fun if everyone used their alts for one day on the forum, to see if anyone can guess who's who...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

My alts would probably say no, as if they ever discovered money inworld I made them pay it on to me 9_9

It might be fun if everyone used their alts for one day on the forum, to see if anyone can guess who's who...

That's not fair! Everyone already knows I am everyone's alt! 🥳

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My alts are definitely siblings.  The majority are on my case about how they don't get out, they need more clothes, blah blah... so they don't come out much.  One can only handle so much bickering :P

My male alt, on the other hand, is frequently present inworld, and has more of a differentiated personality than the girls.  It's still clear that he's me, but he's essentially "me if I were a dude".  His mannerisms are different, he avoids emoticons... but he still joins in the gripe-fest about the fact that my wardrobe is far, far more extensive.

He will never be pleased.  Poor lad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've been to an alt party before and discovered how terrible I am at guessing who other people might be.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Okay, I let you in on the secret:
Everyone on these forums except you and your alts are all alts of mine. Even Silent Mistwalker.
So all that time you spend here posting, you are talking to me exclusively.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

Okay, I let you in on the secret:
Everyone on these forums except you and your alts are all alts of mine. Even Silent Mistwalker.
So all that time you spend here posting, you are talking to me exclusively.

:o

I feel like when the curtain went back on the Wizard of Oz!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

My alts are definitely siblings.  The majority are on my case about how they don't get out, they need more clothes, blah blah... so they don't come out much.  One can only handle so much bickering :P

My male alt, on the other hand, is frequently present inworld, and has more of a differentiated personality than the girls.  It's still clear that he's me, but he's essentially "me if I were a dude".  His mannerisms are different, he avoids emoticons... but he still joins in the gripe-fest about the fact that my wardrobe is far, far more extensive.

He will never be pleased.  Poor lad.

You sure they are siblings and not offspring? Sounds just like my kids did when they were young. lol

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.