I Have Asked the Lindens to Perform a Christmas Miracle

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

The main force of nature I can think off is the upper prim limit for a region, which isn't a power of two and so seems to me to be somewhat arbitrary. Upping the prim allowance could be done for populated regions by reducing the allowances in sparsely populated bits of mainland. The trouble is, the limits would be reached almost before the end of the first week in which it was implemented....

And you would have parcel A owner screaming about how they can't have any more because parcel b owner has taken them all.

That's going to end well.Â đŸ€«

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 10:48 PM, Jackson Redstar said:

undock the floaters to move onto another monitor!

Back in 2014 the Firestorm Team developed just that and even had a proof of concept viewer. The page is still up, but the download links to the proof of concept viewer and source code are both dead. Maybe poke a FS dev?

https://www.firestormviewer.org/the-real-joke-dui-is-no-joke/

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Back in 2014 the Firestorm Team developed just that and even had a proof of concept viewer. The page is still up, but the download links to the proof of concept viewer and source code are both dead. Maybe poke a FS dev?

https://www.firestormviewer.org/the-real-joke-dui-is-no-joke/

Still have that almost decade old FS (4.6.1) client. if you want it send me a PM for a link.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, examining said:

Am not sure if it is a Linden responsibility but I'd like an android mobile viewer all functional as if it was in a windows laptop.

Something mobile is supposedly coming this year, and not the lame, iOS un-viewer on which they'd frittered away years until finally pulling the plug last year. (I like to think that was the new Lab owners realizing what a colossal waste of resources and market opportunity that project was from the start.)

But how much do you want that? Enough to pay a dollar an hour to use it? The current trend in the industry is streaming server-rendered content directly from the game IP owner (e.g., Linden Lab), rather than via game platform streamers such as PlayStation Now, GeForce Now, or Stadia, which were popular recently. But however it's done, it costs, basically renting out a GPU. It also adds a little control lag, but that's unlikely to be worse than any other way of getting real SL on an Android screen.

I'm not confident that the current SL market base wants to pay time-based access charges, and probably instead expects a new Lumiya-like viewer with proper graphics, interaction features, and support. That existing SL market, however, may not be what a mobile viewer offering can most profitably serve.

• Like 2

I used to pay Brightcanopy and was happy about it.
As per an android viewer it is possible to enter sl through a tablet (windows tablets are expensive and rare) through one and I need the alternative system to surf for my own reasons.
I loved Lumiya.  As I said, I need sl access through mobile systems. Lumiya too was a paid service even not an expensive one...

lumiya.jpg

Just now, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Did anyone get their Christmas miracle?

I think I'm getting mine piece meal.

I won £1000 on the premium bonds! I'd just donated some books to a local children's reading enterprise group after Mr AnonyMoose's generous Christmas gesture, and this came back to me (although I owed my brother £731 so most of it is gone again) :/ 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Now it is time to make a sad report, as I let Western Christmas and New Year's go by, and Russian Christmas and Old New Year's go by, and here it is now January 14.

I did appeal the decision and appealed again. I got a sensitive and thoughtful review from the Lindens. But in the end, they could not override the rules of their own world, and that's a good thing.

As they say out West, "Even the Lord God of Hosts can't trump a royal flush on the board."

(in Texas Hold 'Em)

So yes, God does enact miracles that go against the laws of Nature, but He moves in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform.

And so our Lindens who were sympathetic to this request but in fact rightly refused to break permissions even for a good cause. And that's actually overall, a good thing to know, as bitter as it is to accept in this situation.

Because you see I asked the Lindens to reach into a certain creator's inventory and put out a vendor with the pet food that we could go on buying it.

Because the food inworld is running out now since its young creator went to college to get a technical degree. His CSR can't do anything and is long gone, too. 

When they refused, I suggested that I put out my own single copy of the food tray and they could put it on "copy" to let it keep giving out food. But no. They wouldn't.

I believe I am the last person in SL to have any of this food left in inventory, merely because I had the foresight once to stand by the vendor when it was on sale for only $1 and click about 200 times. 

Soon, there will be no food left, and all the little creatures will starve. 

Already those few of us who keep them -- they really are the greatest of pets -- are rationing, and listening to their little voices cry "Feed me!" when we land on a sim. 

We have had to harden our hearts and delete their beloved little babies because we can't let them eat up the food.

It is hard to become prey of the merciless god Permissions just as it is to the merciless god Autoreturn -- which BTW kills these pets as they are delicate and cannot be returned to inventory and then put out again like other pets. But these hard and fast immutable god-rules are put there for Higher Reasons and I respect that.

It won't be the first time a creator has left the world or failed to log on as his pets starved and the pet owners cried. 

I will miss my little pets simply coming up to me and bumping me on the legs like a RL cat -- wordlessly, with nothing but love. Except for "Feed me!" - they never talk, which is a blessing. They never say "How did you get so big?" or "Take me out shopping!" or "Did you know I like milk and fish?" These noble little creatures only eat the little squares of suet in rustic wood frames.

Some of you may remember Hope, who went through 27 generations as each one of the patriarchs was kicked off world by griefers, yet his progeny survived. The new Hope could be determined by placing pet toys by the babies, and the one that moved towards them first was the new Hope. They had to be raised in secrecy on a remote mountain and then the direct chain was broken by a sudden rolling re-start for a patch. The Hope today is a distant relative and not the direct line. But I know he will face his fate with dignity and valour.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Now it is time to make a sad report, as I let Western Christmas and New Year's go by, and Russian Christmas and Old New Year's go by, and here it is now January 14.

I did appeal the decision and appealed again. I got a sensitive and thoughtful review from the Lindens. But in the end, they could not override the rules of their own world, and that's a good thing.

As they say out West, "Even the Lord God of Hosts can't trump a royal flush on the board."

(in Texas Hold 'Em)

So yes, God does enact miracles that go against the laws of Nature, but He moves in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform.

And so our Lindens who were sympathetic to this request but in fact rightly refused to break permissions even for a good cause. And that's actually overall, a good thing to know, as bitter as it is to accept in this situation.

Because you see I asked the Lindens to reach into a certain creator's inventory and put out a vendor with the pet food that we could go on buying it.

Because the food inworld is running out now since its young creator went to college to get a technical degree. His CSR can't do anything and is long gone, too. 

When they refused, I suggested that I put out my own single copy of the food tray and they could put it on "copy" to let it keep giving out food. But no. They wouldn't.

I believe I am the last person in SL to have any of this food left in inventory, merely because I had the foresight once to stand by the vendor when it was on sale for only $1 and click about 200 times. 

Soon, there will be no food left, and all the little creatures will starve. 

Already those few of us who keep them -- they really are the greatest of pets -- are rationing, and listening to their little voices cry "Feed me!" when we land on a sim. 

We have had to harden our hearts and delete their beloved little babies because we can't let them eat up the food.

It is hard to become prey of the merciless god Permissions just as it is to the merciless god Autoreturn -- which BTW kills these pets as they are delicate and cannot be returned to inventory and then put out again like other pets. But these hard and fast immutable god-rules are put there for Higher Reasons and I respect that.

It won't be the first time a creator has left the world or failed to log on as his pets starved and the pet owners cried. 

I will miss my little pets simply coming up to me and bumping me on the legs like a RL cat -- wordlessly, with nothing but love. Except for "Feed me!" - they never talk, which is a blessing. They never say "How did you get so big?" or "Take me out shopping!" or "Did you know I like milk and fish?" These noble little creatures only eat the little squares of suet in rustic wood frames.

Some of you may remember Hope, who went through 27 generations as each one of the patriarchs was kicked off world by griefers, yet his progeny survived. The new Hope could be determined by placing pet toys by the babies, and the one that moved towards them first was the new Hope. They had to be raised in secrecy on a remote mountain and then the direct chain was broken by a sudden rolling re-start for a patch. The Hope today is a distant relative and not the direct line. But I know he will face his fate with dignity and valour.

For what it's worth, I am sorry to hear about your chickens.

I had a sort of connection with Sion chickens -- I used to take care of a friend's . . . herd? whatever you call a group of virtual chickens. And I built her what I thought was a pretty nifty enclosure and chicken coop for them. I never felt quite the attachment you evidently did: they were someone else's chickens, of course, and they were a time suck for me. (Occasionally one would get out and I'd have to herd it back into the coop.) But they are definitely a part of SL's history.

It does occur to me that they are also an exemplification of the hazards of buying products that are built around artificial scarcity (the feed) and planned obsolescence (the chickens die if they aren't fed). I am sure that this was part of the appeal for some people, and maybe even you -- it made them more "real" and more engaging. Fair enough.

But I wonder how people would feel about a set of SL pumps that "broke" their heels every 50 wears, so you had to take them to the virtual "cobbler" for a L$50 repair? Or an inworld car that required the purchase of gas and periodical tuneups? Those would conform to the same principles.

In any case, I am sorry. You must have just about the last set of living Sion chickens on the grid, and it's a little sad to see them disappear.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.