I Have Asked the Lindens to Perform a Christmas Miracle

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:22 PM, Max Nova said:

Linden Homes in space! I'd like to see a sci fi theme in Bellisseria, preferably retro like shows and movies from the 60's and 70's.

One would hope they might make better homes for a space/sci-fi theme than they did at Horizons.  That's exactly what it was supposed to be there but the homes?   Just not something I'd ever use.   Not many people there use them.

• Like 3

On 11/29/2021 at 10:48 PM, Jackson Redstar said:

undock the floaters to move onto another monitor!

Couple of years ago Firestorm released code for that but never implemented it. I'm sure its still floating around on the internet somewhere. You up for compiling your own viewer? :) 

Edited by CaithLynnSayes
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My computer simply isn't powerful enough to run SL and I have no interest in purchasing a new computer just to play SL. So, my wish would be for SL to be able to run well on what I already have!

One of the reasons why I haven't been in-world for months is because I got fed up of how terribly my computer was handling SL. I check on the forums regularly to catch up with what's going on though.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, simplemint said:

My computer simply isn't powerful enough to run SL and I have no interest in purchasing a new computer just to play SL. So, my wish would be for SL to be able to run well on what I already have!

One of the reasons why I haven't been in-world for months is because I got fed up of how terribly my computer was handling SL. I check on the forums regularly to catch up with what's going on though.

What are the specs of your computer? Mine is a dinosaur that runs SL well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, simplemint said:

My computer simply isn't powerful enough to run SL

This is something I think could have a dedicated thread in the technical forums, I'm running quite happily using ancient PCs, there are many tricks such as using 32-bit viewers and tweaking graphics preferences that will let you run SL quite effectively with a PC that is limited to 4G of RAM.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

This is something I think could have a dedicated thread in the technical forums, I'm running quite happily using ancient PCs, there are many tricks such as using 32-bit viewers and tweaking graphics preferences that will let you run SL quite effectively with a PC that is limited to 4G of RAM.

I'm running on a 10 year old PC with graphics on low + avatar cloth + show friends only. It's servicable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ValuedAndSelective said:

m running on a 10 year old PC with graphics on low + avatar cloth + show friends only. It's servicable.

You see, this is the interesting point. I'm not gong to clog up this thread with off-topic stuff because one of the moles has taken to deleting me when I go too far off-topic and I'd hate to have to type it all in again, so go have a look in the technology thread for a post on running SL on old hardware.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 4:00 PM, Stephanie Misfit said:

Your houses would look very nice displayed across a larger space like that, Charlotte. There are a few house designers who sell a lot of houses on one sim who are in the unfortunate position of having everything jammed in together. I love them for having everything on display instead of in rezzers, but it is hard to really appreciate how the houses look when everything is basically piled on top of each other. Having enough prims doesn't mean having enough space. I doubt LL would go for your solution though, they would just want to sell more regions, so that would be a very generous Christmas miracle indeed.

I have had to go over 4 sims LOL - and on my main region still have like 20K prims available.  it's so frustrating! 
<3

• Like 1

I would like a roadmap that explores how LL plan to move the platform forward including a concrete solution to Apple's imminent depreciation of OpenGL, platform technical advancement and expansion, something useful on mobile taking back communities that have exited to discord, a socially acceptable open mesh body with dev kits for blender, marketing that extends beyond the front page of the website or shady NFT social media collabs, retooling in-world creation, mega regions, instancing, focused customer engagement and outreach, a phone support service that isn't broken every other week, group chat that allows groups to chat in world and on mobile, reworked event system focused on discoverability rather than endless spam, LL to hire more developers, mentors and live help, cheaper name changes without premium, PBR, TAB Coke and an edit button.

In short, I would like to see planned and delivered progressive reinvestment in THIS platform as it benefits THIS platforms actual customers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 12/2/2021 at 6:37 AM, Drake1 Nightfire said:

What are the specs of your computer? Mine is a dinosaur that runs SL well. 

It's a Macbook Air from 2013 - 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache, Intel HD Graphics 5000 (basically, whatever's included in the base model).

It's getting up there in years, but I suspect Macbooks in general just don't run well with SL anyways.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, simplemint said:

It's a Macbook Air from 2013 - 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache, Intel HD Graphics 5000 (basically, whatever's included in the base model).

It's getting up there in years, but I suspect Macbooks in general just don't run well with SL anyways.

Well, yes. Macbooks have barely the minimum to run SL on the lowest settings. If at all. A Macbook is a glorified word processor. My kids have them for school. They have trouble running Minecraft. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 9:04 PM, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I have had to go over 4 sims LOL - and on my main region still have like 20K prims available.  it's so frustrating! 
❤️

One solution would be to have some of your houses on a sky platform - perhaps those with an unusual theme, such as fantasy or gothic. I Don't think it would be a good idea to have more than 4 regions set out in a square, because customers with a lower draw distance might not realize there are more regions or might get lost.

14 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

One solution would be to have some of your houses on a sky platform - perhaps those with an unusual theme, such as fantasy or gothic. I Don't think it would be a good idea to have more than 4 regions set out in a square, because customers with a lower draw distance might not realize there are more regions or might get lost.

I prefer to display and we use a linear path and sign posts plus a full catalog with direct teleports to each house (for those who don't like to wander).   Most of our customers seem fine with 4 sims :)   We have 15 years of products albeit we retire things often, so the space is essential for H&G creators.

I do have an outlet with a rezzer for old builds too :)

• Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 6:42 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Repeal all permabans.

Hey do we REALLY want my sanity taking a hit and Amanda getting in trouble when Psychostalkers #323 & #627 can get at me that much easier?

Those ban lines might be there for THEIR protection after all 🙂

image.gif

The main force of nature I can think off is the upper prim limit for a region, which isn't a power of two and so seems to me to be somewhat arbitrary. Upping the prim allowance could be done for populated regions by reducing the allowances in sparsely populated bits of mainland. The trouble is, the limits would be reached almost before the end of the first week in which it was implemented....

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.