I Have Asked the Lindens to Perform a Christmas Miracle

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Uh you know a lot of those permabans are due to actual legit reasons. We don't want the OG Green Lanterns or any other griefer group back. 

I don't want to get into the details, but it's a fairly safe assumption that the resourceful can always find a way back, the worst of the worst never really left. If anything a permaban just lowers future stakes and increases the motivation to cause trouble. The banned return with less investment (because they know it's all forfeit) and vengeful. 

An annual pardon would increase the stakes, retaining the investment in an account and provide a legitimate way to reenter SL, perhaps a little wiser.

A new year and a second chance.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I would like LL to do something very much in the spirit of the season, a time for forgiveness and peace. 

Repeal all permabans.

I thought you were joking at first but it appears you aren't. Most of these permabans are for really egregious conduct and are well deserved. Ask residents who have been stalked, who have suffered endless griefing, copybotting etc if they would like those people to be able to return on their original accounts. I think not.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

if they would like those people to be able to return on their original accounts. I think not.

Are we really served by them returning on unknown & disposable accounts?

Are we really believing that a permaban applies literally and identically to everyone? 

The only people I've known who stayed banned were those who truly felt an attachment to their accounts and fought LL to get them reinstated, often continuing to pay LL service fees for months before giving up and moving on (even when in the end the ban was lifted).

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Are we really served by them returning on unknown & disposable accounts?

Are we really believing that a permaban applies literally and identically to everyone? 

The only people I've known who stayed banned were those who truly felt an attachment to their accounts and fought LL to get them reinstated, often continuing to pay LL service fees for months before giving up and moving on (even when in the end the ban was lifted).

Hmmm. I have rather mixed feelings about this one.

On the one hand, I'm opposed to carceral cultures, arbitrary justice meted out by who-knows-whom, etc. And it would be nice to think that people can be "reformed."

On the other hand, LL doesn't have any mechanisms to monitor, yet alone "educate" and "reform" those it has punished in this way.

It's absolutely true that permabans don't, in many cases, achieve what they are supposed to do. If zFire were to return, would he use that account? I doubt it. And a permaban is certainly easy to get around. The most persistent (and among the most toxic) trolls we ever had on these forums was permabanned in . . . 2012, I think? And proceeded to continue to torment the forums with a cascade of new accounts for about the next four years. Every once in a while, a mod would pay attention and ban one his new alts. And literally the next day he'd be back with a new one.

But I suspect that a permaban is effective in some cases. And undoubtedly usually deserved.

Given that they are so easily circumvented, what is your rationale for this? Other than generosity, which I'll grant is not a negligible quality.

What is actually achieved? Do you really think that people will come back chastened and reconstructed?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Given that they are so easily circumvented, what is your rationale for this? Other than generosity, which I'll grant is not a negligible quality.

What is actually achieved? Do you really think that people will come back chastened and reconstructed?

They only really impact those who can be chastened and reconstructed.

Traits I would argue make someone more valuable to our little society as a whole.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

They only really impact those who can be chastened and reconstructed.

Traits I would argue make someone more valuable to our little society as a whole.

Well, I think -- given that permabans aren't really permanent bans anyway -- that it might be worth a shot.

But I think I would want some rudimentary form of monitoring?

Maybe an animesh puppy who follows them about everywhere and bites them on the ankle if they do something bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

At least don't tie the name change to premium, that stings.

Yes, it cost me a total of $74 Australian dollars to get my alt a new last name. I mean, maybe if I hadn't originally named him Smelly Janitor I would not have needed a name change at all, that was a bit silly of me. But paying that extra to make him premium for a month to change his name to something less embarrassing was really annoying.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Yes, it cost me a total of $74 Australian dollars to get my alt a new last name. I mean, maybe if I hadn't originally named him Smelly Janitor I would not have needed a name change at all, that was a bit silly of me. But paying that extra to make him premium for a month to change his name to something less embarrassing was really annoying.

Did they have their own work clothes and a "Dave" name tag while they were a janitor?

• Haha 2

A Christmas Miracle? Could we really ask for anything more than

• another pack of BoM facial scars,
  • a new release of improbable tattoos,
  • blood-dripping wounds with prims sticking out,
  • eyebrows with an almost perceptibly distinct combination of scars, and
  • additional packs of static contortionist poses?

That must be everybody's whole Christmas list, judging by what I see at events.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I have another one sorry (so greedy so hope I am not on the naughty list).

A region that is the size of 4 current regions (Mega Region) with 30K Prim limit for no more than 300 USD a month.
Thank you Santa.

Your houses would look very nice displayed across a larger space like that, Charlotte. There are a few house designers who sell a lot of houses on one sim who are in the unfortunate position of having everything jammed in together. I love them for having everything on display instead of in rezzers, but it is hard to really appreciate how the houses look when everything is basically piled on top of each other. Having enough prims doesn't mean having enough space. I doubt LL would go for your solution though, they would just want to sell more regions, so that would be a very generous Christmas miracle indeed.

• Like 3

On 11/29/2021 at 8:22 PM, Max Nova said:

Linden Homes in space! I'd like to see a sci fi theme in Bellisseria, preferably retro like shows and movies from the 60's and 70's.

Oh goodness yes! I have quite a soft spot for that era of sci fi.

18 hours ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I have another one sorry (so greedy so hope I am not on the naughty list).

A region that is the size of 4 current regions (Mega Region) with 30K Prim limit for no more than 300 USD a month.
Thank you Santa.

Heck, I'd settle for more accessible prices at this juncture. Having said that, I never understood the logic in the 256 x 256 area.

I'd be very happy if LL would make the world a little better navigable. Bellisseria is great. I love the railroads and the ample room for sailing (the roads .. Well they're there, but they're very bumpy and with many regions being spammed to death with decor, driving around can be a bit frustrating - but that's another issue). We already got some of the sea corridors between some continents to allow long-distance sailing, but if you want to go by boat from Bellisseria to, say, Blake Sea .. Well you're going to run into tight corners and ban lines that may pop you off your ship before you can say clam chowder. 

Yes, I know I could just TP to Blake Sea and rez a boat there if I wanted to sail there, but by that logic there's no point of having vehicles at all, heck we could all as well just go play what's-that-wannabe-SL-thing instead. 

Accommodate the circumnavigation of Satori by ship, that'd be quite the Yule miracle! (also more railroad please. Everywhere. Can't have enough railroad!). 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.