How likely are you to recommend Second Life to a friend or family member

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If it was a friend looking for gaming worlds or to create highly interactive competitive games in-world, I would sooner recommend Roblox than SL since SL developers have shunned such content creation features since 2013.

If it was a friend looking highly interactive e-sex/roleplay I would sooner recommend one of many popular downloadable eroge on Steam since SL developers have shunned evolving the 18 yo hard/static/non-procedural/non-IK asset-based animation protocol as well as shunned sound reform and scripted camera control reform for years.

If it was a friend looking to stare at art exhibits for 5 - 10 minutes then forget about them, I'd recommend SL or Sansar.

If it was a friend that wanted to spend $100 or more on an HQ looking complete avatar, stand around in clubs staring at other expensive avatars while no one says anything other than maybe IMing with "Hi. How are you?" followed by additional boring convo and/or propositioning, I'd recommend SL.

If it was a friend that wanted their own region just to roleplay to themself, I'd recommend Opensim as land tier pricing in SL rivals that of RL car/housing rental fees.

If it was a friend looking to hang out and chat, I'd recommend ANY platform that didn't lag their toaster to death.

YMMV

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

my family and friends are very fond of playing sl. but we met with an unfavorable attitude in sl. in different locations there were unpleasant incidents -  like eject or ban for different events or visits. my relatives and we have the same IP address in our big house. friends often come with a laptop and play together in a wonderful life in sl. it is a pity that sl is so unfavorable to our friends and relatives

Edited by XemmaN
  • Like 4

RL associates? No.

It's like that meme 'When my family walked in, I switched from Second Life to Roblox. That was easier to explain.'

I'd only recommend SL for it's ropleplaying scene, which itself is teetering along. The freedom to create any scene and roleplay just about anything is SL's strength.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Mr Amore said:

RL associates? No.

It's like that meme 'When my family walked in, I switched from Second Life to Roblox. That was easier to explain.'

I'd only recommend SL for it's ropleplaying scene, which itself is teetering along. The freedom to create any scene and roleplay just about anything is SL's strength.

Replace Roblox with World of Warcraft and you'll have my situation. The RL people would never understand how I could have a SL family and a "double life" on my internet screen.

I might recommend SL depending on what they're after.  3D roleplaying? Yes. Building simulations of RL places? Yes. A virtual art show? Yes. A dating service? Hahahaha, no.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

How likely are you to recommend second life to a friend or family member?

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever I'll recommend SL to anybody I know in RL. I have mentioned it to one or two online friends i the past but never pushed it and I can't imagine I'll ever do it again.

18 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Please elaborate.

No.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I recommend it to my family and friends from time to time, some of them were interested, but they don't have computers that can handle second life, and they won't buy a new computer just to try it out, so yea i get their point.

Sometimes when they visit me, i play second life and show them the worlds around, they get really excited, sad that excitement doesn't last long, once i close the game they forget all about it 🙃

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2021 at 5:49 AM, Tarina Sewell said:

I am doing a survey// for.. you know.. kicks 🤪 and whatnot...:SwingingFriends:

How likely are you to recommend second life to a friend or family member?

Please elaborate.

I wouldn't invite them to come and pee in my pool either. So it is a no from me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Karly Kiyori said:

I did recommend SL to a couple of friends, way back in 2006 or so. One of them is still here (hi, @Maitimo ). The other one quit after a year or two due to hardware issues.  I don't think any of my current friends would be interested but if they were, I would certainly recommend it again.

All your fault Karly. Better be nice to me; I have snapshots of you from back then, I can share them... 😈

• Haha 5

Probably never. My kids (one is adult now living at home) know Im on SL - I work in SL making videos, primarly weddings, I think they think I am a bit nuts. I even say when cashing out Lindens I call it my pixel money. People seems like they just will never grasp all this. Even my neighbor, I have to explain to him Im sometimes busy with "online work" I just call it my 'cartoon world work' LOL Maybe thats the problem with SL - you really can't tell anyone less they think you're totaly insane

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

Probably never. My kids (one is adult now living at home) know Im on SL - I work in SL making videos, primarly weddings, I think they think I am a bit nuts. I even say when cashing out Lindens I call it my pixel money. People seems like they just will never grasp all this. Even my neighbor, I have to explain to him Im sometimes busy with "online work" I just call it my 'cartoon world work' LOL Maybe thats the problem with SL - you really can't tell anyone less they think you're totaly insane

When I explained to someone in Real World that I was able to partly furnish my real life flat with money I made in Second Life buying and selling land, they looked at me disbelievingly.

We are all insane! (But that money was really real. :)

• Like 5

I've been an SL resident for just over a year (a blink of an eye for people who have been here for over a decade 🙂) and, while my time in world is definitely reducing, I still personally find things to like here.

My view however is that I would only recommend SL as somewhere to visit briefly.  In much the same way as I might recommend someone visit the ruins of Pompeii, or a  "living history" themed museum exhibition.

Sadly, it's not just that the technology looks a bit dated and clunky - in fact that's the least of its problems, it's also that the culture and the societal norms are largely antiquated and outmoded.

When people ask, I generally tell them to think of the USA and/or UK circa the late 1980s in terms of attitudes and behaviour; right down to communal aspirations which seem mostly limited to replicating the lifestyle and aesthetics of a relatively youthful (mid 20s to mid 30s) upper middle class of the same era.

My friends, family and work colleagues (who work in technology and digital arts) are all pretty digitally literate, so it's not that they don't "get it". More that they "got it" back when SL first started, and have since lost interest because technology,  society,  the world,  have all moved on.  

I understand that this is a pretty harsh indictment of SL, however do feel that it's a pretty fair viewpoint and certainly reflects the perceptions of many people I know who have recently visited SL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, QwiQ said:

My friends, family and work colleagues (who work in technology and digital arts) are all pretty digitally literate, so it's not that they don't "get it". More that they "got it" back when SL first started, and have since lost interest because technology,  society,  the world,  have all moved on.  

Fair enough and a very truthful comment. I totally get it and digital arts is all nice and all but lets stick to the basics.. where do your friends go to find some "virtual booty"?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Fair enough and a very truthful comment. I totally get it and digital arts is all nice and all but lets stick to the basics.. where do your friends go to find some "virtual booty"?

Hi Nick,

I've thought about this quite a lot and asked more than a few of my family and friends over a few drinks.

I'm not sure how representative they are, but my lot are still predominantly interested in RL booty. I can't vouch for how truthful everyone is being, maybe an appetite for virtual booty is still pretty much the "love that dare not speak its name". 

I do know that single or married (I don't judge!)  RL dating apps like tinder, bumble and grindr all seem to be heavily and pretty transparently used rather than VR for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, QwiQ said:

Hi Nick,

I've thought about this quite a lot and asked more than a few of my family and friends over a few drinks.

I'm not sure how representative they are, but my lot are still predominantly interested in RL booty. I can't vouch for how truthful everyone is being, maybe an appetite for virtual booty is still pretty much the "love that dare not speak its name". 

I do know that single or married (I don't judge!)  RL dating apps like tinder, bumble and grindr all seem to be heavily and pretty transparently used rather than VR for now.

I see.. so they want either real or on camera.. Oh well, it is what it is, thank you for the feedback, much appreciated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.