Do you ever hear about Second Life outside of your Second Life?

Zeta Vandyke

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Back when I started Second Life I obviously heard about it, else I would not be here. And the first years you would read or hear about it quite often. Online and sometimes in real life as well. But for the past couple of years I do not think I have even once seen or heard anything about SL outside the obvious SL dedicated places.

Maybe I'm just to old to visit the parts of the internet where SL is still being mentioned :)

1 hour ago, PermaRuthed said:

One time I heard of SL outside of SL was on a local news radio anouncing some guy named Bone Mosten as the winner of the hottest male avatar of 2008 contest.

Are they still doing that Hottest Male Avatar contest?

There's a group that does a Miss SL and Mr SL pageant yearly. They finished Miss SL a few months ago and are doing Mr SL currently. I think they're going into the 4th week. It's usually on Saturdays. It's pretty fun to get into and follow if you're into that sort of thing.

Here's the poster from last week. They usually post them for the next event on Fridays.

MR SL ♛ 2022 - THE SECOND RUNWAY CHALLENGE

Edited by Finite
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Finite said:

There's a group that does a Miss SL and Mr SL pageant yearly. They finished Miss SL a few months ago and are doing Mr SL currently. I think they're going into the 4th week. It's usually on Saturdays. It's pretty fun to get into and follow if you're into that sort of thing.

Here's the poster from last week. They usually post them for the next event on Fridays.

MR SL ♛ 2022 - THE SECOND RUNWAY CHALLENGE

This one is going on now, too.

• Thanks 1

Never and I refrain from mentioning anything about it just in case they think I’m a weirdo 🤣

however I have been thinking if any of my acquaintances stumble across the forums and see my posts they’ll figure out who I am… outed by pics of my cats 🤣🐈🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛
I try not to post pics of my horses as that would nail me for sure🙈

• Like 2

March 9th 2007, CNN had a broadcast about the virtual world that was taking storm online,  they showed some footage,  I was having a bad time with life, like almost dead type life,  so I gave this a shot,   I have been in sl almost constantly for 14 years,  taking some time off, using an alt from this main account.   but I'm not leaving until they chase me off with a stick (which I will fetch)  and turn the lights off.

17 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Back when I started Second Life I obviously heard about it, else I would not be here. And the first years you would read or hear about it quite often. Online and sometimes in real life as well. But for the past couple of years I do not think I have even once seen or heard anything about SL outside the obvious SL dedicated places.

Maybe I'm just to old to visit the parts of the internet where SL is still being mentioned :)

I never do. Ever. And I live in the supposed media capital of the world, New York City. Very rarely there will be some virtual something or another in the news and some aunt or friend not on all in this stuff will read it and say, isn't that that thing you are involved in? And I'll say, no, that's something Facebook is doing, we have legs. Or no, that's Roblox, we don't look like Lego toys. Or, no, that looks like the white label of There.com maybe that the military uses in simulations. Etc. 

In non real-life Internet mediated areas like YouTube, yes, I will occasionally see something like this, referencing SL from a place that is, well, meta and stupid, shall we say:

8 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

A couple of days back i came across a reference to SL in this video about 8 mins in, i won't give away the answer. Can't remember the last time i heard of SL out of SL before that

So there's a lot one could say about this but first off, I'm a little surprised that British people have really stupid TV game shows like Americans do. This is like a Jeopardy knock-off. I had no idea. I thought you all sat around discussing Shakespeare and whatnot.

Years ago, i do not remember even when exactly, i saw something on german tv or read somthing about SL. I really cannot remember. It made me curious and i logged in. Since then i never heard anything about SL again anywhere. I mentioned ONE time that i am playing SL and was laughed at, because everyone surprisingly 'knew' it would be a SLex game. I thought it's best just to shut up :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

So there's a lot one could say about this but first off, I'm a little surprised that British people have really stupid TV game shows like Americans do. This is like a Jeopardy knock-off. I had no idea. I thought you all sat around discussing Shakespeare and whatnot.

This applies to pretty much every country, even our lovely islands

660544A1-B91F-442B-A793-EC1AEA5101D0.png

This is very interesting question. When I started, it was 2008 I think, I read somewhere that there is a place called Neverland on sl and is a copy of the real ranch. And as a MJ fan, I was curious about it. But since then, I think no. 

Edited by HelenaNavy92

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.