You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

1/10th of the population of the US was infected, of that 2% died. 

They don't test dead people for COVID at least here.. they don't do it.. People afraid to go hospital for test because they think they might get virus from hospital. If some one died COVID like symptoms they will mark death reason COVID.

I don't know about USA.

Edited by RunawayBunny

3 minutes ago, RunawayBunny said:

Then lets hope vaccines will work otherwise virus will reduce human lifespan significantly.

Yes it is mass hysteria.. My friend (age 24) thinks she will die because of this virus which is silly IMO she is more healthy than most. But can't blame her media 7/24 publishing COVID and making a impression a deadly virus claiming every life. I understand they are trying to get attention of public and trying make them aware but method they use ridiculous.

I haven't. I can count 7 people who tested positive amongst my family members (or false positive test not always accurate).

Your 24 year old friend should merely read the statistics.  I never got the impression it was claiming every life.  The scenario you presented would fit her age group perfectly.  My son is 21 and knows what's going on but is in no way hysterical with worry.  Neither am I.  Cautious, of course.  

Did you ever hear the phrase "Err on the side of caution"?  Be cautious and aware but I really haven't noticed hysteria.  Maybe it's just your country.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

To call it mass hysteria is to diminish the impact it's had on people effected by it and frankly, very disturbing.  Have you lost anyone close from Covid? 

I haven't, fortunately, but my son  -- age 42 -- got a bad case of it in February.  His blood O2 dropped suddenly, not quite enough to send him to the hospital but enough to leave him seriously weakened.  It's been more than two months now, but he still has almost no sense of smell or taste, and says that he has a hard time concentrating on difficult tasks.  Death is certainly the most frightening outcome of CoVid, but the long-term effects on people who survive are disturbing.  And those are the effects that seem most common among the younger victims, possibly because more of the older ones die instead.

My daughter in law, a nurse, kept herself and the children quarantined at home for two weeks. She still came down with a lighter case of CoVid several days after my son, although my granddaughters did not.  She considers them lucky, since she has seen far too many patients in worse shape than either my son or herself.  Still, she watches her husband get out of breath while doing light yardwork and worries about how long it will take for him to recover fully.

Dying from CoVid is nothing to laugh at; living with the aftermath isn't much fun for some people either.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, RunawayBunny said:

They don't test dead people for COVID at least here.. they don't do it.. People afraid to go hospital for test because they think they might get virus from hospital. If some one died COVID like symptoms they will mark death reason COVID.

I don't know about USA.

Where is here? Why would you be afraid to go to the hospital?!?! They are the cleanest places. every surface cleaned down all day long, at least in the states.  

11 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Where is here? Why would you be afraid to go to the hospital?!?! They are the cleanest places. every surface cleaned down all day long, at least in the states.  

It just takes a few clicks to find out why:

https://www.pharmiweb.com/press-release/2020-07-15/half-of-british-public-scared-of-going-to-hospital-due-to-covid-19-risk-and-time-wasting

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/06/851173949/covid-19-fears-may-be-causing-people-to-ignore-medical-emergencies

https://www.startribune.com/scared-of-covid-19-millions-risk-getting-sicker-by-avoiding-hospital-care/571267152/

BTW: I didn't say I am afraid of hospital :P I heard in news people not going to hospital due pandemic..

I got a first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine about a month ago, and now AstraZeneca is pretty much phased out here in Canada, at least as a first dose. Those who got one AZ jab and are waiting out Canada's four month interval may be able to get a different vaccine for their second, pending results from the "heterogeneous" vaccine trials, particularly the big ones in the UK. I'm hoping they'll find increased antibody response and/or broader immunity to variants with the mixed dosage, thus making that scarcity-imposed four month interval actually worth the wait.

What's weird is that in Canada we're getting VITT (blood clot) incidence of about 1 in 55,000 which, while still extremely low, seems much higher than I remember from earlier reports from outside Canada.

I blame poutine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

What's weird is that in Canada we're getting VITT (blood clot) incidence of about 1 in 55,000 which, while still extremely low, seems much higher than I remember from earlier reports from outside Canada.

I blame poutine.

Every time I see the clotting odds, they are lower then the last figure I seen. In the Star this morning one article mentioned it was down to 1 in 60,000, so this 1 in 55,000 is lower again. Makes one wonder how low it really is. 1 in 20,000? Considering it started at 1 in a million when the clotting was first discovered and called "rare" by all the medias, it has then quickly dropped to 3 in a million, 1 in 100,000 and now 1 in 55,000 and still being called "rare". The way the Star article read, the willingness to admit the odds was dependent on them having sufficient Pfizer and Modena vaccines to cover the unvaccinated masses. If there had not been, then it sounded like they would not have admitted the dismal rate publicly. The lack of transparency is worrying.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
spelling/grammar
  • Like 1

Well, the 55K and 60K numbers were reported in the very same article, so I assume they're just different interpretations of the same data.

I wonder how much of the "Canada effect" is due to age of recipient. The VITT clot risk falls off pretty dramatically with increasing age, and although Canada set lower bounds, that age limit for pharmacy-administered vaccinations gradually decreased. Thing is, the elderly (for whom VITT practically never happens) had nearly all received mRNA vaccines through provincial mass vaccination programs rather than AstraZeneca through the pharmacies. It may well be, then, that by excluding the practically zero-risk elderly population, Canada ended up giving AstraZeneca to on average the youngest and hence most risky recipients of any country using that vaccine.

Edited by Qie Niangao

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Well, the 55K and 60K numbers were reported in the very same article, so I assume they're just different interpretations of the same data.

I wonder how much of the "Canada effect" is due to age of recipient. The VITT clot risk falls off pretty dramatically with increasing age, and although Canada set lower bounds, that age limit for pharmacy-administered vaccinations gradually decreased. Thing is, the elderly (for whom VITT practically never happens) had nearly all received mRNA vaccines through provincial mass vaccination programs rather than AstraZeneca through the pharmacies. It may well be, then, that by excluding the practically zero-risk elderly population, Canada ended up giving AstraZeneca to on average the youngest and hence most risky recipients of any country using that vaccine.

Or maybe it is an indication of how many older Canadians are on blood thinners and baby aspirin.;)

I wonder if there is any correlation between profits of some corporation and blood clotting stats?  I don't trust anything I read in media reports these days, it has all been bought by someone.  The best thing is to stick your head in a bucket and breath slowly until the news goes away.

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In addition to the AstraZeneca issues, the US CDC has now found some more clotting issues related to the J&J vaccine.  Not huge numbers yet, but it is still a bit worrisome.

https://news.yahoo.com/u-cdc-says-identified-28-153515314.html

The part I find amazing is that Pfizer has had nearly the same amount of clotting but the reports are hard to find. Very odd.

I had the AstraZeneca, no side effects bar a bit of sleepiness. Hey better than COVID right? Anyway, the thing is having had AZ it is hard to read all the negative reports on it. Particularly when Pfizer has had near the same amount of issues. (Yes nearly as high clotting) I was going to delve into the government reports and yellow card reports but haven't had time. Perhaps the whopping price of Pfizer makes it something to 'fight' for. I am not one for medications, hate them, but forced myself to go. Felt it was the right thing to do on many levels. For example my country might not have many cases but I could meet a visitor one day from a place where it has issues right? I am going for my second AZ in June anyone else had AZ and feel OK about the second dose. Need moral support!!

• Like 1

• Moles
1 hour ago, ColeLaScotta said:

I had the AstraZeneca, no side effects bar a bit of sleepiness. Hey better than COVID right? Anyway, the thing is having had AZ it is hard to read all the negative reports on it. Particularly when Pfizer has had near the same amount of issues. (Yes nearly as high clotting) I was going to delve into the government reports and yellow card reports but haven't had time. Perhaps the whopping price of Pfizer makes it something to 'fight' for. I am not one for medications, hate them, but forced myself to go. Felt it was the right thing to do on many levels. For example my country might not have many cases but I could meet a visitor one day from a place where it has issues right? I am going for my second AZ in June anyone else had AZ and feel OK about the second dose. Need moral support!!

I had the first AstraZeneca shot back in February and the second one on May 1  (I'm a Brit).    Sore arm and felt a bit fluey and bleh for a couple of days both times, but nothing to worry about.

Since over half the British population have had one shot, and over a quarter have had both (most people get AZ here), I think if there were any widespread issues we'd know about them by now.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations?country=OWID_WRL

• Like 1

I heard that some of the implanted WiFi transmitters in the second jab, have problems to reach further than 15 meters.
Depending on how thick your skin is.*

* Not confirmed by my GP yet, so it might just be a rumor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I heard that some of the implanted WiFi transmitters in the second jab, have problems to reach further than 15 meters.

Hello? Hello? I can see your lips moving but no sound?!

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Mine reaches a lot further. I've tested it up to about 100 meters and the signal was quite strong.

2 hours ago, ColeLaScotta said:

Could be that AZ is cheaper?

They just don't want to give their money to anything British.

2 hours ago, ColeLaScotta said:

I am going for my second AZ in June anyone else had AZ and feel OK about the second dose. Need moral support!!

I've had my first AZ dose and I'm due to get the second at the end of May or early June. And no, I'm not concerned at all. I'm more concerned that sometime between now and then it'll get withdrawn and everyone who's had AZ will have to start again with a different one, and that will delay it months longer. 

• Like 1

I get my second AZ jab the 20th of this month. Praise the EU overlords that they stop purchasing AZ after the end of June.

So I should be good to get my second jab as planned.
No worries here either about getting AZ instead of Pfizer, Moderna or Jansen (J&J).

I would have preferred another one, not because I don't trust the AZ vaccine, but I totally dislike the way they have  scammed the EU out of by contract agreed numbers of vaccine. But that is a totally different story.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.