How is a teen supposed to look in game

Annabella Atheria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I like to rp as a teen who likes fashion kind of like clueless and im always told that I look too old and too tall or that I need to dress younger.  I don't get how looking like a child means im a teen.  I have seen people who dress as teens and they are usually three feet high and dressed in t shirts and shorts or jeans or something and look like they are 12 not 17.  How is it that I have to look like im 12 to be 16 or 17.  

Surely you have heard, there is no accounting for taste...

This is very true in SL. Wulfie's advice to 'do your thing' is the best answer you are going to get.

I was curious. What does a teenager look like... objectively? Try Flickr for teenage fashion. OK... now I feel old... but other than young woman... I can't pull a single look from all those images. I think it may be more about how they move, talk, and behave that reveals their age. On looks alone the teens and twenties seem to blur together.

In the USA the CDC for 2002 reported the average height of a 13-year-old was 5-3 and a 19-year-old 5-4 (1.63m). I suspect that adds a facet to the identification.

Satisfy your self that you have the right look. Other's opinions are opinions.

I remember having a friend in high school that developed early. We would send her in to buy beer when she was 14... with a fake DL she could pull it off. So, what people think and believe is inconsistent.

most teenagers in the real world live at home and their clothing is largely dictated by their parents

parents generally are skin adverse for their children depending on the situation. Like at the beach, might be able to wear a bikini but parents are not going to allow a rio-style swim suit.  At the mall, bare shoulders, legs and maybe midriff, but if try to  show cleavage or too high cut bottoms then are not going to get let out of the house.  Going clubbing then if bend over and can see your knickers then not going to happen as far as parents are concerned, parent is going to insist on tights. And so on

so if do want to dress in SL as a teenager then start with thinking about what your parents let you wear out of the house when you were a teenager and wear that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

What does a teenager look like... objectively?

Well, what I've been seeing when the coastside Northern California high school lets out is black leggings on the women, jeans on the men, and hoodies or sweatshirts on everybody.

One thing you have to do is be trendy. Look up the latest teen fashion trends for Spring 2021 and try to make a wardrobe following what everyone else is wearing.  Don’t wear things that were trendy back in Winter 2020. Also, avoid what adults are wearing. When summer 2021 rolls around be sure to buy the latest clothes and throw out everything you previously have. 

• Like 2

SL notions of who looks  what age vary from person to person. I have been thrown out of sims twice for looking to young. Just do what you want. Lots of real teens try to look older anyway, if someone tells you you look like an adult just tell them you have a fake ID to prove you are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just tell them to stop being 10 feet tall super models, since human beings don't look like that.

This is the thing with being a teen and even a preteen. For some reason, everyone forgets what it was like and how much they wanted to shed being a child and look/act grown up. Teens wear adult-esque fashion. They look older (closer to a very young adult) while still young, rather than looking babyish. That people say you should look like a little kid just means they don't know what people actually look like.

As long as you're not rocking a full beard and look like you're 18 feet wide, have enormous breasts and look like your 40, or wear diapers and use a pacifier, you're probably fine.

Edited by HarrisonMcKenzie
  • Like 3

This is me as a 8 year old rocking a Cars T-shirt, bright stripy shorts and velcro sneakers. I.e. not the look you should be going for 🤣 Although to be fair, I should probably try and find some Fortnite clothing as that is the new in thing. Maybe Among Us too. 

d601acaa8095f7bb186115560748dc1f.jpg

For a teen I would focus on the following: 

• High / Secondary School uniform 
  • Music / Gaming  / Youtuber / Streamer T-shirts 
  • Expensive looking sportswear. 
  • Eco / animal friendly products. Greta Thunberg is very popular among young people. 
  • Anything with a quote on it that is pro LGBTQ / Vegan / Eco etc. 
  • Anything with a meme on it. 
  • Technology! Tech everything. 
  • Also nowadays, teens are less likely to drive, drink and smoke and are more likely to use things like E-bikes, public transport, Ubers and electric cars if they do drive. 
  • I don't know any teens that carry cash, it's all virtual. With that said, teens today are usually less well off than teens of the past due to high tuition fees and low paying jobs. Employment wise, teens are more likely to be self employed and entrepreneurs too as they've seen their parents be shafted by large companies and corporations for years.  
  • Young people of today are very caring, compassionate, diverse and care about other people and the environment.  

FYI I work in a school. 

Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 1

Greg went through an emo phase as a teen.  This is him as a 15 year old. Nothing says edgy and cool quite like braces on an awkward emo kid. :P

48747156933_ff2ff600cb_c.jpg

As Mollymews said, fashion choices for many teens are limited by what their parents would allow them to wear.  Greg wasn't given much leeway back then; that's why he has no facial piercings nor tattoos.  I don't think his parents allowed him to wear skimpy crop tops. Hoodies and band t-shirts are good universal choices for teenagers.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Haha 1

How to look like a teen?

That is simple enough: Don't bother trying. Don't focus on outward appearance (beyond general shape/height), don't bother following some rather arbitrary rules concerning social etiquette/interests and simply put the relevant information somewhere that can be read.

Yes, I am being quite serious here. See, you're looking to present as a Teenager without stating which era's general Teen feel you are going for. That criteria is incredibly important - at least, for the more detail oriented. When it comes to far more generalized thinking people? it is enough to have the overall size and shape of a "Teenager".

As a personal anecdote to the above: When I was in Middle School (Grade 6-8, US) my Mom had to come and pick me up one day (I forget exactly why) and was stopped in the halls by a member of the Faculty that has not met her in any way before to ask her why she was out of class and if she had a Hall Pass and would not let up until Mom produced her ID and one of the Faculty that had met her had passed by, greeting her. My Mom is barely five feet tall, fairly thin (even to this day) and "small chested" - if it were not for her hair and the age lines that are only now showing up, she could still be mistaken for a Middle School age girl. And I would be in a similar boat if I ever shaved off my beard and mustache - worse if I ever decide to embrace a more Femme look and remove the darker body hair I have (good luck at that point in figuring out if I am male or female, until I speak anyway)!

Decide on your age, then do a DuckDuckGo search for "average height x-year-old", make that your base height for your shape.  Decide if you want to be a bit taller or a bit shorter than average, a bit larger or a bit thinner than average, and adjust the shape accordingly.  Then tweak the shape to look proportional, unless you want to be a teen going threw puberty with long gangly arms or whatever -- Like I adjusted Judy's mouth, in the pics above, to always look moody.  Then think about what kind of clothes your teen wears, and shop the Marketplace.  Note that you could be a geek, a cheerleader, a punk rock fan, or even all three.  IT'S UP TO YOU.

Edited by Rabid Cheetah

Danika has some really nice late teen skins and shapes.  They include 3 different sizes of shapes so you can tailor your ava to fit your needs. Adding braces and wearing teen clothes will add to the look. 

Stay away from adult places. Other than that enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

I made these avatars a longer time ago. The first is perhaps too young for a teen. The second one looks older. Both are made with an Maitreya body, custom shapes and classic heads.

angierunaway2.jpg

sleepyrunaway4.jpg

Edited by Doc Carling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.