What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I admit to having done the odd, here and there, tilted angle thing, but I did think about it and used it for a reason (often to create a bit of tension). It is called a Dutch angle, which is funny because it was originally called "Deutsch" angle due to a WWI thing, but, well... it got effed up in the translation. :) 

But yeah, I've now made it a "policy" (lol) to not like any photo using it without an obviously GOOD reason to use it. Being able to "fit" the avatar from head to toe on the diagonal is NOT a good reason.

There is a corollary peeve to this, in two parts, and I think these are usually just due to inexperience more than anything, and so they get a pass. They are: Shooting with the horizon clearly visible and it is slightly tilted. Like not enough to be an actual Dutch angle but just... off. The other is taking every photo, especially interiors, from a low vantage point and so all of the vertical lines converge. This one is particularly in "the weeds" but hey, I'm a snot. 

ETA: These opinions, btw, are the Flickr equivalent of me being a "grammar Nazi" to others. The horror! :)

Those people,  with the slightly tilted horizon,  probably don't mind their pictures hanging cattywampus at home either.  I'm that person who gets up in a crowded waiting room to adjust the pictures while everyone looks at me as if I'm crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

Those people,  with the slightly tilted horizon,  probably don't mind their pictures hanging cattywampus at home either.  I'm that person who gets up in a crowded waiting room to adjust the pictures while everyone looks at me as if I'm crazy.

I'll second whoever it was who said that if LL was going to update the forums, that extra response emojis are needed. I settled on the :D one, but was hovering over the "thank you" one. :) /me high fives another "gah! that bugs me!" person. Worst... when the waiting room pictures were bolted in crooked! :D

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'll second whoever it was who said that if LL was going to update the forums, that extra response emojis are needed. I settled on the :D one, but was hovering over the "thank you" one. :) /me high fives another "gah! that bugs me!" person. Worst... when the waiting room pictures were bolted in crooked! :D

Because you know the man who hung it had a dang level somewhere but figured, "eh, good enough".  😠

• Like 1

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Today's peeve - the fact that I cannot yet retire and thus still have to do this crap called "work".

I hate to spoil your daydream, but work goes on after you retire. You just don't get paid for it and you can't complain about the boss.

• Haha 2

I arrived at today's pet peeve after finding myself writing some rather harsh comments that never ended up being posted, on random threads here and there, where people just . . . Failed at English. 

People who starts their topic with an opening statement, and add a question mark on the end. "I'm looking for ...?" - well, is it a question? Is that the question? Did you start this topic to inquire as to whether it may be so, that you seek that which your title suggests you are looking for? 

Yes, I get that there are the occasional reasons for people not communicating in brilliant English; but if you can't even employ a question mark properly, what on earth are you doing on an English forum? Why were you ever even allowed to proceed from third grade? Is that why 'everything else failed' and you turned to the forums to try here; that your utter ineptitude made it impossible for anyone to communicate with you, to offer that which you were looking for? This shocking misplacement of a question mark raises much too many question marks! Aardvarks! Gah!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I settled for a simple "Like". I'd have really liked a "knowing smile" one for @RowanMinx's response.

• Like 2

I've said it before, but please, creators. For the love of baby otters, tell us what permissions your friggin' clothes have.

I should not have to IM the creator of an outfit I want to find out of it's modifiable or not! Ever! It takes three letters on your product image, and a lot of vendors can even give you the info through a popup.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 7:16 PM, Orwar said:

Yes, I get that there are the occasional reasons for people not communicating in brilliant English; but if you can't even employ a question mark properly, what on earth are you doing on an English forum?

¿Are Spanish-style leading and trailing question marks acceptable? The leading one is a nice "cue" that the sentence will be a pregunta, I mean a question.

• Like 1

Currently, its this entire EEP thing in Second Life. I understand wanting to upgrade things to make it a better experience. I fail to see how EEP does this. I really believe this is going to be utilized by a small amount of users and I cannot see at this point how its better than the current Windlight system. It seems like change only for the sake of change.

I have given it a fair shot in EEP enabled viewers and I am not sold on it. There is a horrible fps issue with water enabled-WATER ENABLED!? And there is no way to disable the crossfading of skies and many older Windlights which I happen to like don't look right in an EEP viewer. The lighting is all wrong.

There are other things that need more attention than this in my humble opinion. Group chat for one , let's get that fixed once and for all, for starters and other things.....🤪

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Currently, its this entire EEP thing in Second Life. I understand wanting to upgrade things to make it a better experience. I fail to see how EEP does this. I really believe this is going to be utilized by a small amount of users and I cannot see at this point how its better than the current Windlight system. It seems like change only for the sake of change.

I have given it a fair shot in EEP enabled viewers and I am not sold on it. There is a horrible fps issue with water enabled-WATER ENABLED!? And there is no way to disable the crossfading of skies and many older Windlights which I happen to like don't look right in an EEP viewer. The lighting is all wrong.

There are other things that need more attention than this in my humble opinion. Group chat for one , let's get that fixed once and for all, for starters and other things.....🤪

EEP does have some distinct upgrades - being able to change the celestial bodies and clouds, for example. That makes estimating unearthly environments *much* more immersive, sometime. Here's an example that wasn't possible before, and it's still a rather early attempt at EEP environments...

example_001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

Anything that decreases fps to a point where it's intolerable is NOT an upgrade IMHO.  

And yes, more people would appreciate a fix for group chat than being able.to see Saturn.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

Anything that decreases fps to a point where it's intolerable is NOT an upgrade IMHO.  

And yes, more people would appreciate a fix for group chat than being able.to see Saturn.

Well, I will tell you, it doesn't have to be Saturn. You can make the moon a *literal cheese wheel* as well.

(I don't think the lindens know how to fix group chats at this point, honestly - as good as that'd be)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.