What are some more of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, in the US, it is a last name, with and without the special character.  

The interesting part of the US is that many variations of foreign names exist here.  Many of them because the original immigrants did the slight name change themselves - for both positive and negative reasons.

Ok, thanks for the clarification 🙂.   I didn't know that Jarvinen is indeed a last name used in the US.

Anyway Järvinen is the name which has its origins in one northern European country. What has happened is that when the first Järvinen person arrived to US as an immigrant the name was immediately anglicized as Jarvinen. I think. 😉

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, in the US, it is a last name, with and without the special character.  

The interesting part of the US is that many variations of foreign names exist here.  Many of them because the original immigrants did the slight name change themselves - for both positive and negative reasons.

My very Celtic last name was very much Americanized both in spelling and pronunciation from how it would be in "the old country."

19 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:
1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Being broke on Amazon Prime day. Also, nothing on my want/need list is on sale!

I think Prime Day is when they want to clear all the useless crap they couldn't sell during the rest of the year.  Who needs a DIY home Rectal Scope Prober kit for a buck 3.98?

I just found a mortar & pestle set that I bought a few months ago.  I don't remember if I got it on sale at the time or not, but the Prime Day price is only $1.00 lower than I paid.  So either Prime Day, for some things anyway, is not much a better sale than regular sales during the year - or I got it at regular price and they have since jacked the price up to make the Prime Day price look great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I just found a mortar & pestle set that I bought a few months ago.  I don't remember if I got it on sale at the time or not, but the Prime Day price is only $1.00 lower than I paid.  So either Prime Day, for some things anyway, is not much a better sale than regular sales during the year - or I got it at regular price and they have since jacked the price up to make the Prime Day price look great.

I saw something on a Gigabyte motherboard.  Was like $479US on Amazon, and Microcentre had it for $399US. So much for saving.

• Haha 1

When creators or even event managers forget something in their ad. I have been nice enough to let them know. But hey this is a gift. When you get there you have to be a part of the group and it costs a fee to join. Why don't you put in your ad that it's a group gift and that it costs this much to join the group. Also say that it's a group gift. By calling it a gift without specifying that you need to be a part of a group is tad annoying. I see this a lot on FB. That and when gifts cost money to get. So instead of receiving said gift for free. You are basically making a discounted purchase on the item. That also goes back to my whole advertise thing. If you are gonna charge say 1L for a gift, say it's a heavily discounted item. Or like what I seen with some companies charge a Linden but it refunds its, just so you can redeliver the item if you say lose it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Crim Mip said:

People who send blind TP offers. Strangers get blocked. Friends get one warning. I don't give a crap if you set up a contact group. If you can't control your TP requests, don't send them.

I shut mine off.  If I want I tp, I request it.  I do the same with friend requests.  It's easier than saying NO.  They just get a message saying I have those functions disabled or something like that.

39 minutes ago, Crim Mip said:

People who send blind TP offers. Strangers get blocked. Friends get one warning. I don't give a crap if you set up a contact group. If you can't control your TP requests, don't send them.

I must belong to the wrong groups, or something. I don't think I've ever HAD a blind TP offer. That's just getting a random TP offer? I've heard of these things. Are they really a problem? Again, 11+ years and such a noob...

• Like 1

Auto-response saves so much time.  Here are some of my responses:

REJECT ALL TELEPORT OFFERS:

I am sorry but I do not respond to random teleport offers.
I will only teleport by prior arrangement.

IM AUTORESPONSE:

I am sorry but my IMs are by prior approval only.  Please ask via chat or group chat.

REJECT FRIENDSHIP REQUESTS:

I am sorry but I don't use my friends list at all.  I prefer to make friends the old fashioned way.  Please don't be offended, it doesn't mean I don't want to be your friend.  Just that, like a good wine, making friends take time.

Of course I do get some random IMs that I do make exceptions for and then I just turn off the autoresponse and say "Hey sorry about the auto-response..."

Works really well for me and oddly enough it doesn't seem to offend anyone either.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.