What are some more of your pet peeves?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit more than a peeve but having to say goodbye to a furball when you know it's the right thing but the worst decision to have to make.  He has gone to chase balls in the clouds on a walk with Ki no

I don't think that's a metaphor, but whether or not it is, I think you could have found a better way to express yourself. 

Posted Images

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, in the US, it is a last name, with and without the special character.  

The interesting part of the US is that many variations of foreign names exist here.  Many of them because the original immigrants did the slight name change themselves - for both positive and negative reasons.

Ok, thanks for the clarification 🙂.   I didn't know that Jarvinen is indeed a last name used in the US.

Anyway Järvinen is the name which has its origins in one northern European country. What has happened is that when the first Järvinen person arrived to US as an immigrant the name was immediately anglicized as Jarvinen. I think. 😉

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, in the US, it is a last name, with and without the special character.  

The interesting part of the US is that many variations of foreign names exist here.  Many of them because the original immigrants did the slight name change themselves - for both positive and negative reasons.

My very Celtic last name was very much Americanized both in spelling and pronunciation from how it would be in "the old country."

Good grief. I just read some posts and I'm back to my normal peeve: people.

/me wanders off, swearing under breath, vowing THIS time I'll just walk away from the forums, even when I'm BORED... nah, not just yet. maybe. probably. meh. bored. but...people, ick ptooey 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Being broke on Amazon Prime day. Also, nothing on my want/need list is on sale!

I think Prime Day is when they want to clear all the useless crap they couldn't sell during the rest of the year.  Who needs a DIY home Rectal Scope Prober kit for a buck 3.98?

• Haha 4
6 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I think Prime Day is when they want to clear all the useless crap they couldn't sell during the rest of the year.  Who needs a DIY home Rectal Scope Prober kit for a buck 3.98?

oooooooh! $3.98? I can buy that! :::scampers off:::

• Haha 5
7 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

the name was immediately anglicized

This happened a lot with the immigrants way back then.  Some did it in an effort to, hopefully, not be discriminated against as much.  

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:
1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Being broke on Amazon Prime day. Also, nothing on my want/need list is on sale!

I just found a mortar & pestle set that I bought a few months ago.  I don't remember if I got it on sale at the time or not, but the Prime Day price is only $1.00 lower than I paid.  So either Prime Day, for some things anyway, is not much a better sale than regular sales during the year - or I got it at regular price and they have since jacked the price up to make the Prime Day price look great.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

If anyone needs the bathroom Seicher has booked it for the next 3 hours for scientific purposes

Maybe bought a few of the Amazon Rectometer probes and waiting for "customers" to use them on?  🤣

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I just found a mortar & pestle set that I bought a few months ago.  I don't remember if I got it on sale at the time or not, but the Prime Day price is only $1.00 lower than I paid.  So either Prime Day, for some things anyway, is not much a better sale than regular sales during the year - or I got it at regular price and they have since jacked the price up to make the Prime Day price look great.

I saw something on a Gigabyte motherboard.  Was like $479US on Amazon, and Microcentre had it for $399US. So much for saving.

• Haha 1

My annoyance is not with Prime Day BUT with all the other stores I have bought from in the past spamming my email with sale offers in competition in case I suddenly won the lottery.

2 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Maybe bought a few of the Amazon Rectometer probes and waiting for "customers" to use them on?  🤣

Gawd i have a list of people who talk out of their butt on the forums she could test it out on

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

When creators or even event managers forget something in their ad. I have been nice enough to let them know. But hey this is a gift. When you get there you have to be a part of the group and it costs a fee to join. Why don't you put in your ad that it's a group gift and that it costs this much to join the group. Also say that it's a group gift. By calling it a gift without specifying that you need to be a part of a group is tad annoying. I see this a lot on FB. That and when gifts cost money to get. So instead of receiving said gift for free. You are basically making a discounted purchase on the item. That also goes back to my whole advertise thing. If you are gonna charge say 1L for a gift, say it's a heavily discounted item. Or like what I seen with some companies charge a Linden but it refunds its, just so you can redeliver the item if you say lose it.

• Like 3

People who send blind TP offers. Strangers get blocked. Friends get one warning. I don't give a crap if you set up a contact group. If you can't control your TP requests, don't send them.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Crim Mip said:

People who send blind TP offers. Strangers get blocked. Friends get one warning. I don't give a crap if you set up a contact group. If you can't control your TP requests, don't send them.

I shut mine off.  If I want I tp, I request it.  I do the same with friend requests.  It's easier than saying NO.  They just get a message saying I have those functions disabled or something like that.

39 minutes ago, Crim Mip said:

I must belong to the wrong groups, or something. I don't think I've ever HAD a blind TP offer. That's just getting a random TP offer? I've heard of these things. Are they really a problem? Again, 11+ years and such a noob...

• Like 1

Auto-response saves so much time.  Here are some of my responses:

REJECT ALL TELEPORT OFFERS:

I am sorry but I do not respond to random teleport offers.
I will only teleport by prior arrangement.

IM AUTORESPONSE:

I am sorry but my IMs are by prior approval only.  Please ask via chat or group chat.

REJECT FRIENDSHIP REQUESTS:

I am sorry but I don't use my friends list at all.  I prefer to make friends the old fashioned way.  Please don't be offended, it doesn't mean I don't want to be your friend.  Just that, like a good wine, making friends take time.

Of course I do get some random IMs that I do make exceptions for and then I just turn off the autoresponse and say "Hey sorry about the auto-response..."

Works really well for me and oddly enough it doesn't seem to offend anyone either.

• Like 3

Peeve today: PC hardware that doesn't last. My trusty AMD Rx 570 decided to bow out just shy of 3 years old.  I saw graphical glitches beginning about a week or so ago and I knew it's end was nigh.  That end came today.  

• Sad 3