Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/12/2020 at 1:16 AM, kiramanell said:

Not really quoting anything you said, but to provide a little art to take a break...I redid Kiramell's avatar photo and she can pick them up here if she wants too.  She did an altered artwork of mine...so I attempted to do one of her.  Her photo is really small though and difficult in that respect. 

As far as the statues, perserve them if possible but I honestly couldn't really care less as it's not something I would seek out to see.   I love stars and I use stars a lot in my artwork that I do.  For Kiramanell, artworks for her only by me.  

kira STARS 2 copy.png

kiraSTAR.png

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Daily Wire... lol.

Yeah.

From Snopes:

"DailyWire.com has a tendency to share stories that are taken out of context or not verified. For example, in the days after a violent white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia in August 2017, the site helped spread a false rumor that “leftists” were digging up Confederate graves. In March of that year, the site spread a false claim that Democratic lawmakers refused to stand for a fallen Navy SEAL’s widow. In May 2017, the site falsely reported that Harvard University was holding segregated commencement ceremonies. The site was embroiled in another racial controversy after posting a video disparaging Native Americans in October 2017. After removing the video, Shapiro responded by apologizing, but called the video satire."

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Gage Wirefly said:

That was kind of odd.. A black lives matter protest and really not that many black people in it..

The only one that really did give him any kind of answer, well any answer that wasn't edited out, was one of the few black men there..

Why are white people walking in the front looking like they are leading this protest?

Let that man walk up on a real  protest with a more educated crowd than college kids out to do some, feel good about themselves march..Then see how much different that video would have been..

hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Gage Wirefly said:

[ video ]

I should probably step in and make a clarification and statement. Not giving that Youtuber views, but by the title...

You don't have to support BLM the group through donations or anything, in order to agree with the statement "Black lives matter".

If you tell someone "I don't support Black Lives Matter", you should clarify you mean the group and that you, of course, are not disagreeing with the sentiment that black lives matter. That's just the name of the group. There are other groups doing the same thing that you can support.

What else can you do if you don't want to march or donate to the (group) BLM directly?

• Talk to people about racism. Talk to your racist relatives about racism and why it's wrong. We all have one. I just called out my parents for being racist, and I'm black. It's still wrong. We don't get a pass for that crap.
  • Call out instances of racism in Second Life. There's a lot here. And it would be great to see the game not so stifling and obviously prejudice against minorities. People are doing their part to change here now, but you can help! See a skewed reality that treats minorities like we're a red light district in-game, or someone going around and calling dark-skinned avatars the n-word? Report or refuse to support. Those two things are powerful statements in this game.
  • Speak with your votes! A prejudice politician is one who can't work fairly. There are lots of people waiting for a chance to do a better job.
  • Be aware that once this wave of civil rights activism is over, it will gradually be replaced by classism. And that... is when the real dystopia begins. We're already seeing the beginnings of this so just don't be surprised, okay? Keeping racism around won't stop that, either. It's just that helping to eradicate racism a little more will pull that curtain back more, and come further into our country's consciousness.
Edited by Aemeth Lysette
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well look at it this way. If you get a cop who gets off on power too much, who likes to make sure people knows he's boss, then just by having this attitude demonstrates he believes in a kind of hierarchy where he is king and lords it over others, right?  He would be the one who views society in 'levels of worth' where the top people are better than the bottom ones. He would be the one to take on the societal brainwashing that says Blacks are less than Whites and more likely to be criminals.
In other words, you can't really separate one of the power-hungry, corrupt cops from an overtly racist one.

Signed,
Mom (with 3 cats sleeping on my lap vying for attention)

Correct. I agree. But we are limiting this person's bias, for lack of a better term, to just blacks. This person also feels superior over all races, his own included. He feels he is entitled to this way of thinking and he is entitled to disregard societies norms, rule of law, the Constitution and basic humanity. Whatever the reason for this persons contempt, this type of person has no business in law enforcement, he or she never should have been hired in the first place. He is definitely part of the problem, but not the cause, he is the result of bad polices and decisions from the top down. Until we collectively address the cause, and not concentrate so much on the result, then this will persist.

Since 2003, Minneapolis has paid out $45 million in police misconduct, yet the problem persisted. Why? Again, it is policy, what is behavior and actions are allowed. All agencies and their policies need legal oversight. They all need to be held to the same legal standard, and not political party standards. This is, and has been a huge problem that continues to be cast aside as people point fingers.

Case in point, out of the 20 largest US cities paying the most in litigation for police misconduct, 17 are Democrat controlled. Seventeen. Why is this? Failed Democratic policies is why. I'm not bashing Democrats or that party, I am only pointing out their failure when it comes to their regulations, standards and policies that they hold their officers accountable to. This is not an excuse for police misconduct either. Yes, there are failures in Republican controlled agencies, but not as many.

This is not a white, black only problem. It is a problem that includes all kinds of abuse, towards all kinds of people, all races, sex, and ages. It is a small minority of officers, but that small minority is still too many. If we, as a society, concentrate solely on white vs black, we will lose. This problem will persist because those who should be held accountable, aren't. And if we don't be more specific about who the bad cops are, the good ones will continue to leave. It's hard enough as it is to find qualified recruits. This is only adding to, and assuring, future problems in police ranks.

Tighten up policies, align them with the rule of law and the Constitution. Get rid of those with issues that are counter to societies laws and decency, and don't hire them in the first place. Hold the governing authority over these law enforcement agencies accountable to their failed policies and pandering.

You can't stop a runaway train by uncoupling the caboose, you have to address what's pulling the train, the locomotive.

And the mom comment wasn't directed at you. For the record, my two cats only vie for attention when they're awake ;)

Have a great day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Spending my Saturday afternoon watching   the statue of Jefferson Davis get ripped out of our state capital with our governor and his kids overseeing it, so for once I get to proud super proud of being a Kentuckian for a minute.

Probably the first time anyone's took any notice of it in years!

13 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Honestly, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if they took down every presidents and politicians monuments.. Not a wink..

You'd spend a lot more time washing your hair and clothes though because the pigeon's don't have anywhere to sh!t anymore!  

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That was kind of odd.. A black lives matter protest and really not that many black people in it..

I've been playing a little "mini game" the past week. I usually only visit the BBC's news page but it shows photo's and video's from both the UK, USA and World. So, I look at all the " BLM" protests all over the place....then try to spot a black face. It's not been an easy game to play! Most seem to be the usual crowd of green and pink haired, face full of metal, students and older ex-students who can't believe they're not 21 anymore, the kind that would protest march about the Sun rising only in the East being "discriminatory" to the West North and South if someone organized it, ya know?
When it comes to rioting/looting though, things tend to get swapped around.....it's all very odd!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

is not all that odd.  White people educating themselves for themselves is always a good thing

One way of looking at it I suppose. It does take me back to a post a made a while back though, when I got slaughtered for mentioning a lack of visible or audible show of unity from the BLM quarter!

Sadly, some of my family members just dont get it.. 

My MIL posted this image on Facebook.

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing, text that says ''White Privilege' is a Myth Perpetuated by Those Who Hate White People'

This was the conversation that followed.. (names redacted for privacy.)

b5e98277037e09b65e6614b2ddae3a4e.png.9a8056fe3e05bd5424295bade358cc5d.png

Now, i try..  I really do, but there are days i just dont answer the phone when its her calling.. Every call turns into a political or news story argument. Over 65 white people Just.. Dont.. Get.. It. 

I cant fight anymore.. I grew up in a neighborhood that was so diverse there was a festival, religious event, block party, or some other social gathering every couple of weeks. I grew up exposed to all sorts of nationalities, religions, foods, OMG the foods!!! Puerto rican, Brazilian, Italian, Greek, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, African, Irish, French, Southern American.. Good gods the food was amazing. We were all friends. And now. I couldn't tell you my neighbors names.. I tried to introduce myself several times. They want no part of it. 

I think we have all forgotten how to be neighborly. Hell as  a kid my parents would have one of the neighbors feed our cat when we went on vacation, and we would do the same for them. Now we have pet hotels.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

44 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Now, i try..  I really do, but there are days i just dont answer the phone when its her calling.. Every call turns into a political or news story argument. Over 65 white people Just.. Dont.. Get.. It. 

I'll bet she thinks the same way about the under 50 crowd like yourself. And hey, maybe when you get to be her age, you might realize that you didn't :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'll bet she thinks the same way about the under 50 crowd like yourself. And hey, maybe when you get to be her age, you might realize that you didn't :)

So, her being racist is ok? Simply because she came from a generation that it was the norm? 

Methinks i smell a troll.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

So, her being racist is ok? Simply because she came from a generation that it was the norm? 

I see nothing in her quoted response that says she is racist, only her opinion that the white privilege accusations are offensive and will just make matters worse. That I would agree with because many making the accusations seem to have little clue on how to convey the message, whether true or not, in a way that is relatable and easy to digest.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I agree about the troll part, but would caution against the generalization about age.

I know and am related to people in the older age group who are not racists. I know and am related to others in the same age group who are. I think this is true of every generation. 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I see nothing in her quoted response that says she is racist, only her opinion that the white privilege accusations are offensive and will just make matters worse. That I would agree with because many making the accusations seem to have little clue on how to convey the message, whether true or not, in a way that is relatable and easy to digest.

Have you tried digestive enzymes?  I heard they work wonders.

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I know, this concept of 'white privilege' just sails over their head, time and again.  How difficult is it to grasp the notion that no matter how difficult your life might be as a White person, it most likely would be far worse as a Black one?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Have you tried digestive enzymes?  I heard they work wonders.

Oh, you haven't tried them out yourself and just relaying hearsay? Always best to share from one's own experience when trying to promote something others may benefit from.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.