Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think it is fair to say that there are a fair few of us who would like to support and push forward equal opportunities for black people, and reducing issues caused by racial prejudice but are equally concerned that their money does not go towards the violent riots they've seen carried under the BLM banner (whether that is the true BLM or not I do not know), or want to support other things that BLM fundraisers have put forward such as 'dismantling capitalism' etc.

It would be nice if we could compile a list of alternate charities that we can donate to, preferably long established ones that have an established track record of doing good. I think that would be a way to bring about positive change for those of us who remain skeptical of the responsibility of the organizers and the effectiveness of the movement.

Edited by Extrude Ragu
better wording

13 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Not to mention Trump is going to hold a rally in Tulsa, on Juneteenth, the day many blacks celebrate emancipation of slavery.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/11/politics/donald-trump-tulsa-juneteenth-race/index.html

This quote is golden: "By the way, all the research on this says … we're shooting African-Americans about 24 percent less than we probably ought to be based on the crimes being committed," Yates said on a radio program Tuesday."

Edited by Janet Voxel
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

I've been thinking of this issue regarding blacks and the police, but sadly, I'm beginning to feel like Ashlyn that it won't change.  Why do I feel so defeated, it's because how can we over-turn silence orders that exist in the police departments?  

I know there are good police and bad police but silence orders can we really over-turn that? 

I read an article about the up and coming prosecution of George Floyd's killer and the attorney speaking in that article said she feels he may get off and her reason was that jury's tend to believe cops.  But, further I'm thinking, this is on film?  Wouldn't a jury see the film?  I haven't watched the film on George Floyd as I am squeamish about violence and tend to not watch anything with violence in it.  But, still, the attorney is pessimistic about any kind of real conviction.  

Also, if police departments can receive private monies, isn't that a form of bribery?  If bribery exists here, I think the people of the United States have a very serious problem on their hands.  A very serious problem if this involves bribery.  Who are we kidding?  We cannot accuse a silenced organization of bribery as we'd have no proof.  That kind of money exchange is too secretive.  

I feel like Ashlyn, how can we really go up against this kind of corruption and win?  

If they don't have the LA riots in the back of their minds,then they are crazy..

Let them let those police walk and then see what comes of it.. It's gonna be a blow out

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If they don't have the LA riots in the back of their minds,then they are crazy..

Let them let those police walk and then see what comes of it.. It's gonna be a blow out

I couldn't agree more.  But, will anything change beyond this incident?   What if it goes back into the same old pattern of cover-ups say after a few years?  What if jurors are scared to go up against the police?  I'm sure that is the reason many cops have "walked" before.  Fear.   Fear that exists in a juror's mind.

You don't have to answer Ceka, I'm just processing thoughts about all this but I remain pessimistic for the great hall if things aren't changed in The Bill of Rights for example or something more concrete.   The only thing more concrete talked and tossed around right now is a way to hold police more accountable and/or to offer monetary damages.  Who gives a dammmm about monetary damages if their loved one is dead.  I'm hanging in there with you all though!  

1 hour ago, JanuarySwan said:

I've been thinking of this issue regarding blacks and the police, but sadly, I'm beginning to feel like Ashlyn that it won't change.  Why do I feel so defeated, it's because how can we over-turn silence orders that exist in the police departments?  

I know there are good police and bad police but silence orders can we really over-turn that? 

I read an article about the up and coming prosecution of George Floyd's killer and the attorney speaking in that article said she feels he may get off and her reason was that jury's tend to believe cops.  But, further I'm thinking, this is on film?  Wouldn't a jury see the film?  I haven't watched the film on George Floyd as I am squeamish about violence and tend to not watch anything with violence in it.  But, still, the attorney is pessimistic about any kind of real conviction.  

Also, if police departments can receive private monies, isn't that a form of bribery?  If bribery exists here, I think the people of the United States have a very serious problem on their hands.  A very serious problem if this involves bribery.  Who are we kidding?  We cannot accuse a silenced organization of bribery as we'd have no proof.  That kind of money exchange is too secretive.  

I feel like Ashlyn, how can we really go up against this kind of corruption and win?  

What's a silence order, never heard of it.

Who are you saying is being bribed, and by whom, when you don't even know the definition of bribery?

What private monies are you talking about? Who are they receiving it from?

4 minutes ago, RavynHunter said:

What's a silence order, never heard of it.

Who are you saying is being bribed, and by whom, when you don't even know the definition of bribery?

What private monies are you talking about? Who are they receiving it from?

1)  It's some kind of qualified immunity that the police decided for themselves in the 1870's or something like that.  I'm just using my term because it is like a silence order.

2)  What?   

3)  Police in America receive money from Federal and State grants as well as through private funding.

3b)  Who is giving that private funding?  And, for what reasons?  It's an unknown.  Sounds like opening the door to bribery of all kinds to me.  

1 hour ago, Janet Voxel said:

Not to mention Trump is going to hold a rally in Tulsa, on Juneteenth, the day many blacks celebrate emancipation of slavery.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/11/politics/donald-trump-tulsa-juneteenth-race/index.html

This quote is golden: "By the way, all the research on this says … we're shooting African-Americans about 24 percent less than we probably ought to be based on the crimes being committed," Yates said on a radio program Tuesday."

Oops, yes, thanks for mentioning that. I honestly thought I'd already posted about the rally (and Yates)  here. Guess that's Facebook and Twitter I was thinking about. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

1)  It's some kind of qualified immunity that the police decided for themselves in the 1870's or something like that.  I'm just using my term because it is like a silence order.

2)  What?   

3)  Police in America receive money from Federal and State grants as well as through private funding.

3b)  Who is giving that private funding?  And, for what reasons?  It's an unknown.  Sounds like opening the door to bribery of all kinds to me.  

1) Qualified immunity is not something police decided for themselves. It is a Federal legal doctrine that protects police officers from being sued for enforcing the laws they are mandated by law to enforce, whether its discretionary or not. It only protects officers if they do not violate federal or state law. Excessive force in causing the death of someone does not entitle an officer to qualified immunity.

1a) Using a term and definition that has no bearing on the subject matter, then judging someone based on such incorrect term and definition is irresponsible and inflammatory.

2) What what?

3) Federal and state grants given to agencies are only to be used for specific purposes as dictated by law or some other legitimate legislation. Bribery is an offer to exchange money,    goods or services in return for an illegitimate or illegal act. Huge difference.

3b) Private funding has to go through, be approved by and received by the local governing authority for any law enforcement agency. Once approved and received by that authority, it is then distributed to the agency for specific use per that governing authority. That's called checks and balances, not bribery.

I don't know, maybe holding the ones truly responsible for their own failures should be the main focus, rather than just casually lumping all police officers into one big murderous, corrupt and violent pile. Education on facts would be a great start.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RavynHunter said:

I don't know, maybe holding the ones truly responsible for their own failures should be the main focus, rather than just casually lumping all police officers into one big murderous, corrupt and violent pile. Education on facts would be a great start.

the question is what is the solution ? 

the simple answer is prevent police officers from committing crimes

which you agree with. As do the people protesting. So you have this in common with people who are protesting in the streets

we might disagree with some of the behaviours, rhetoric and politics of some individuals within the protesting groups, but as you say we can't just lump them all into one big violent pile

as people we work together on what we have in common. Setting aside our disagreements on the matters that we don't have in common

Our common purpose. To remove police officers who commit crimes while wearing the badge and then to work out solutions that will help prevent a police officer from committing a crime.  Removal is the easy part. Prevention is not so easy. To do prevention then we look into the conditions that lead police officers to commit crimes. Then after looking at the conditions then what changes can be made to prevent police officers committing crimes while wearing the badge

a major reason why police officers commit crimes of violence isn't because they are somehow natural born bad people.  Is because they lose it mentally when they are put under stress, become fearful and aggressive and lash out. When this is not properly addressed by their employer thru robust officer counseling services and supervision systems then a police officer can spiral out of control

and I think everybody can agree that police departments that do have robust counseling and supervision have less officers who do their nut when put into stressful situations. And I think that we can all agree that police departments that don't or can't provide these to help keep their officers safe, should be enabled to do so

• Like 6

2 hours ago, RavynHunter said:

3b) Private funding has to go through, be approved by and received by the local governing authority for any law enforcement agency. Once approved and received by that authority, it is then distributed to the agency for specific use per that governing authority. That's called checks and balances, not bribery.

Would you like to show the record of where the monies for the private funding came from to the people for public record?  

If you can't, I remain skeptical.  

Private money, it's sound like a secret door to "favoritism" as well as bribery.   Favoritism could be the root cause of systemic racism in the police force.   I am fairly sure favoritism for money exists and I do not believe you can prove otherwise.  

I do not see a reason to single out a skin color other than because of some type of money.  I just don't.  What would be the reason for systemic racism to exist all on it's own for no reason.  I think there is money involved for favoritism because when you look at skin color, a white skin is no better than any other skin.  So, I think there is money involved otherwise what would be the reason?  We are all pretty much all the same just people with families; our main differences only cultural.   So, then what is the reason for systemic racism if not favoritism through a channeling of money?  Channeling of money is usually the fuel for favoritism.  So, the money is channeling from where into the law enforcement agencies?  

Edited by JanuarySwan

5 hours ago, operationhammerman said:

Unfortunately, the ugly side of BLM 'support' has reared its head. The image below has been spammed in multiple inworld groups, calling for furry attacks on 'white supremacist' clubs on SL this weekend. Club owners and hosts should be aware. 

EZoGcWfXkAc5qcY.jpg.298cd5afafc2cfc9e8a27bf6d6f3efe0.jpg

I hope someone posts a list of the white supremacist clubs they plan to attack, because this sounds hella entertaining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JanuarySwan said:

I do not see a reason to single out a skin color other than because of some type of money.  I just don't.  What would be the reason for systemic racism to exist all on it's own for no reason.  I think there is money involved for favoritism because when you look at skin color, a white skin is no better than any other skin.  So, I think there is money involved otherwise what would be the reason?  We are all pretty much all the same just people with families; our main differences only cultural.   So, then what is the reason for systemic racism if not favoritism through a channeling of money?

The systemic racism in the police force reflects the systemic racism in the rest of society.

Humans make distinctions between themselves and others, and have a tendency to rank them, placing various groups at the bottom so they can feel better about being higher.

Toni Morrison, a Black author, talks a lot about the phenomenon. Her last book was named 'Othering'.

She says:

"Descriptions of cultural, racial, and physical differences that note 'Otherness' but remain free of categories of worth or rank are difficult to come by"

* And when one encounters pain in life there is a tendency for some to scapegoat or blame others for an emotional release ('take it out' on others). Those who have been placed at the bottom of the heap, or those without as much power, are the prime targets.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The systemic racism in the police force reflects the systemic racism in the rest of society.

Humans make distinctions between themselves and others, and have a tendency to rank them, placing various groups at the bottom so they can feel better about being higher.

Your first sentence makes me wonder about the police though because they deliberately do racial profiling under a system that is paid and then that system includes also systemic racism, meaning it comes from a system - a paid system.  So, I'd see it separate from society of just average ordinary working folks who aren't paid because most don't do systemic racism as many of us work together, live in communities together.  Do you know what the exact definition of systemic racism is?    

Your second sentence sounds like the main reason is possibly hate based or delusional.  

Edited by JanuarySwan

6 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

Do you know what the exact definition of systemic racism is?    

Found a good definition:

"Systemic racism is both a theoretical concept and a reality. As a theory, it is premised on the research-supported claim that the United States was founded as a racist society, that racism is thus embedded in all social institutions, structures, and social relations within our society. Rooted in a racist foundation, systemic racism today is composed of intersecting, overlapping, and codependent racist institutions, policies, practices, ideas, and behaviors that give an unjust amount of resources, rights, and power to white people while denying them to people of color."

21 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:
39 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Your second sentence sounds like the main reason is possibly hate based or delusional. 

Maybe it relates to being overly competitive.

I would like to see humankind evolve to a more cooperative society, and minimize the competitiveness. Nurturing others to transform and realize their potential rather than competing to create winners and losers.

Edited by Luna Bliss

24 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Found a good definition:

"Systemic racism is both a theoretical concept and a reality. As a theory, it is premised on the research-supported claim that the United States was founded as a racist society, that racism is thus embedded in all social institutions, structures, and social relations within our society. Rooted in a racist foundation, systemic racism today is composed of intersecting, overlapping, and codependent racist institutions, policies, practices, ideas, and behaviors that give an unjust amount of resources, rights, and power to white people while denying them to people of color."

It's pretty good except that society has overcome many of those, such as female black mayor's such as Leila Foley and the newly elected Mayor of Ferguson, Missouri,  Ella Jones.   And, as far as my ex black bf's black wife, she was Deen of a College.  And, I know of people of all colors and even First Gen American's from India who are doctors.  There are all kinds of equal opportunities in multi-ethnic communities...just all kinds.   

What are the policies in place today that deny blacks equal opportunity?  

However, regarding practices, some of those seem to be here in this matter with racial profiling and the police.  What is their problem?  What is the police's problem?  Not all police, of course, it can never be all.  But, what is their problem - the police?  

Edited by JanuarySwan

9 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

It's pretty good except that society has overcome many of those, such as female black mayor's such as Leila Foley and the newly elected Mayor of Ferguson, Missouri,  Ella Jones.   And, as far as my ex black bf's black wife, she was Deen of a College.  And, I know of people of all colors and even First Gen American's from India who are doctors.  There are all kinds of equal opportunities in multi-ethnic communities...just all kinds. 

Ask any of those people if they get treated differently every single day in one form or another due to the color of their skin and I bet they say yes.

Systemic racism goes far deeper than I think you’re thinking.

Take a look around this timeline... I’ve only clicked a couple of the links so far, but it gives good modern examples.

Structural Racism Timeline

14 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Ask any of those people if they get treated differently every single day in one form or another due to the color of their skin and I bet they say yes.

Systemic racism goes far deeper than I think you’re thinking.

Take a look around this timeline... I’ve only clicked a couple of the links so far, but it gives good modern examples.

Structural Racism Timeline

I'm sure it happens.  I'm sure it happens to women in power too.   The dominant white male society and sometimes dominant white male Protestant society is still here but it has diminished, especially in multi-ethnic communities.  Where I've grown up it's been pretty respectful all around.  I'd have to try to see into an environment I did not grow up in as I never witnessed any disrespect except perhaps from antiquated men and their ideas but not even overly prevalent in men.  As far as in past, I've had friends tell me of situations where they were oppressed or called names and/or kept in silence as in some countries women are not allowed to speak unless spoken too.  It's just still here on this Earth.

But, I wanna know what the heck the police are doing here in this matter.  

add:  Just wanted to share very quickly and then I have to go  - the Mayor of Ferguson Missouri, Ella Jones, has said it is time to sit down at the table and have a talk with the police and she doesn't plan to sugarcoat anything.  She's going for the truth.   

Edited by JanuarySwan

29 minutes ago, JanuarySwan said:

The dominant white male society and sometimes dominant white male Protestant society is still here but it has diminished, especially in multi-ethnic communities.

First off, I really want to say thank you to you for being willing to look deeper at the world around you and learn from it!

I’m going to ask you to go a little deeper still to look at how black Americans are not equally represented, or even equitably represented, while white Americans are able to look around and see things as being peachy-keen.

Ive tried to avoid saying white privilege because it irks certain people so badly, but the items on this list (and watch the short video) shows the difference very clearly for a black American vs. a white American.

Example of White Privilege

Edited by Beth Macbain
Words are hard.
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I have yet to see proof, beyond mere mindless jabbering, that the killing of Floyd was race related. The real problem is, how did someone with the potential to commit murder get hired and stay on the police force for so long? Continuing to blame all cops, whites, Trump and religion for a perceived racist killing, only serves to be inflammatory and stoke emotions not directly related to his death or his killer. The press needed some excitement after months of monotonous COVID=19 reporting and shamefully used Floyd's senseless murder to feed their sensationalist 'journalism'. And you all fell for it, hook, line and sinker.

The uncomfortable truth: Minneapolis has been solidly in Democrat hands for decades.

Minneapolis has been dominated by Democrat mayors for more than 40 years. If systemic racism exists in the Minneapolis police force it has been enabled by Democrat leaders for more than 40 years. They refuse to own the results of their failed policies and blame the usual scapegoats instead.

So, please explain how this was a racist killing.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.