Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Kimmi, who is the only black person that lives in the US that has contributed to this thread - and she was pretty much ignored. 

I didn't ignore her. It just wasn't necessary for me to reply. This is the only post of hers that I saw.

image.thumb.png.a46fdf8a5c5ca5a734ce718e30387878.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

The monster who murdered George Floyd (I refuse to say "killed" because that minimizes the intentional evil he did) while getting charged, is still only being charged with "oopsies" Murder 3. Our entire justice system, while still better than a lot of places, needs overhauling, on all levels. That's a whole nuther book.

Given the way the system is set up, the way the levels of murder are defined, they can't charge him with murder 1 or 2.  I personally think that they should add Hate Crime charges as well --- and hate crime charges are both State and Federal crimes.  Maybe hate crime charges will be added after all of the investigating is done.   

The other part that has me irritated, though I know that they need to fully finish investigations so that charges don't end up being botched, is that so far the other 3 have not yet had any charges filed against them.  Before this is all said and done, there had better be something filed against those 3. 

However, regardless of what charges are filed against who, for some reason too many people give the police too much leeway and thus, too often the trials end up acquitting the officers in these cases.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I mean this in the gentlest way possible because I know damn good and well your heart is in the right place, and that right now you are feeling targeted and beat down and attacked. 

Please think about that for a moment - how you're feeling right now. 

I know you are enraged. I know you feel like you aren't being heard. I know you want to grab certain people in this thread, me for sure, and shake us and demand we hear your words.

Now jump over to the other side for just a sec. Every time a black person hears "but all lives matter!" how do you think that makes them feel when they are trying to be heard? 

This isn't about you. It's not about me, and it's not about Scylla, and it's not about the other people in this thread except for, I beileve, Kimmi, who is the only black person that lives in the US that has contributed to this thread - and she was pretty much ignored. 

Think about that for a minute. 

And Beth, no. You're wrong, point by point. I am not feeling beat down. I'm feeling that people are so stuck in their one particular way of thinking that they are not reading, and certainly not reading things in entirety or context. I am frustrated.

No, I am not enraged. Correct, I am not being heard and I was JUST TOLD I have NOTHING TO SAY. So again, I'm reading the room correctly. And no I'm not wanting to shake you or many others, most of the people I would want to shake I have muted (and you'll notice I haven't addressed them). Yes, I do feel like others want to shake me out of my delusions.

Well, if ALL anyone heard out of thousands of words was "all lives matter" sure, they are going to be upset. And are. And are totally over reacting. And ascribing things to me I have not thought and to which I've written the exact opposite.

I did not ignore Kimmi or anyone else.

And I really don't need to be sat down and told to think about what I have done. I wrote what I meant. I said what I meant. It is what I believe. I've stated umpteen times that I agree people need to listen (I would like the same courtesy but apparently I'm not allowed). I have stated I'm for what is happening now with BLM. I have said I don't believe looters = BLM. And on and on and on. But I didn't say it in the correct PC way. Sorry. Still not sorry.

• Like 4

I came into this thread and specifically answered the ON TOPIC OP.

I read further. I read Paul's comments. I read all of them. I read the reactions. I thought he was getting unfairly treated, and that was because through MY lenses, my very PC lenses, I agree with him. As I understood him. I may have misunderstood him, as I thought others had.

I wrote *words* lots and lots of words. Few were acknowledged, just that anyone who could utter all lives matter, in WHATEVER context, is a deluded racist.

I'm accusing that over-reaction of being PC group think.

Sorry, not sorry. I won't lock step, even if that means being told I have nothing to say and to go eff myself. How's that for some liberal lovin'?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gatogateau said:

Sorry, not sorry. I won't lock step, even if that means being told I have nothing to say and to go eff myself. How's that for some liberal lovin'?

If you think that being horrified at police brutality, systematic racism and literal use of force against journalists is "PC" then I don't have a lot of sympathy for you.

But then again, judging by your post you appear to have an excess of that towards yourself anyway -so I don't feel too bad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Gato, you have managed to hijack this thread and make it all about you.  This is about BLM. If you want to talk about ALM you should open another thread.

Also, it's insulting for you to say my opinion is some sort of "groupthink" or that I'm being "PC" when I have arrived at my opinion solely by examining the issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also want to note that most of the time when people throw around the term "politically correct" what they actually mean is "I have to actually be considerate of the fact there's different kinds of people in this world and I don't like it wah". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

This isn't about you. It's not about me, and it's not about Scylla, and it's not about the other people in this thread except for, I beileve, Kimmi, who is the only black person that lives in the US that has contributed to this thread - and she was pretty much ignored. 

Think about that for a minute. 

Except I don't live in the US. I'm up in Canada, used to live in the US until a few years ago to be with my man's family.

And we've been ignored for ages by many, something we lived with --- can't change people.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Han Held said:

If you think that being horrified at police brutality, systematic racism and literal use of force against journalists is "PC" then I don't have a lot of sympathy for you.

Please show where I have said or implied any of this.

Because I have not.

Over and over my comments about PC groupthink have been explicitly stated as *how* we are *allowed* to talk about a very serious subject.

• Like 2

Just now, Gatogateau said:

Please show where I have said or implied any of this.

Because I have not.

Over and over my comments about PC groupthink have been explicitly stated as *how* we are *allowed* to talk about a very serious subject.

When I think of the term PC, I think of hogwash. I'd like to toss the person who originated PC under a bus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I personally am taking a lot of all these different opinions that all of you are posting and learning quite a few things.  I would hate for things to get out of hand and the thread gets locked.  Lots can learn from this discussion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Black lives matter because blacks at the ones being targeted, being taken and experiencing direct oppression.

It's a given that white lives matter -the system is set up to protect white lives.

Black lives have value -and that is what the bottom line is.

Black Lives Matter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Errr, I’m a Black person...living in New Jersey. I just happen to be born and raised in Montreal, Qc. 

I’m Canadian, but I’ve been living in the US for about 15 years.

The avatar isn’t just for show...

I will say coming from Canada (which is not without racial problems) living here has been eye opening in regards to how deep and pervasive it is.

Edited by Janet Voxel
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 8

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

My apologies. I didn't realize you weren't still in Canada.

It’s ok, I never really point that I’m a Canadian living in the US. Usually, I have to point out to people that I’m a Canadian explain that black people actually can come from there. So I just don’t bring it up often.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Evah Baxton said:

There were live videos of white people spraying BLM on buildings (during peaceful protesting) and black people approaching them to say "Stop! We don't need your help!".

There were MANY videos of stacks of bricks placed in non-construction areas (during peaceful protesting). Plenty of video of streamers on site calling it out.

There was a video of a car full of white rioters handing out bricks and a black person approaching them to tell them it wasn't right.

Of course there was the video of the (white?) umbrella man who was busting out windows at the Autozone as protesters asked him why, and who he was.

Van Jones on CNN said that white liberal Clinton supporters who claim they aren't racist are more dangerous than the KKK.

Many others are using the riots as a defining characteristic of black people.

Most reports indicate that the majority of the violence is being instigated by two factions, the Antifa folks that truly believe that violence is needed and white supremacists that want to incite the black people so that they look bad.  Unfortunately, some of the black people are getting incited and joining in the violence and looting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

just pointing out that the fact that nobody could name a white death by a police officer doesn't mean it doesn't happen or isn't a problem.

There was that white Australian woman last year in the US who called the cops for whatever reason, and when they arrived she went out to meet them and they just gunned her down!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

When I think of the term PC, I think of hogwash. I'd like to toss the person who originated PC under a bus.

When *I* think of the term PC, I think of "P.C. Principal" (South Park). But he's just from a silly animated cartoon. However, being considerate of how a certain specifically worded slogan (i.e. All Lives Matter) might be triggery for some people, especially when said term is literally being used by some very unsavory folks to detract from their cause, then I see nothing so heinous about not using that term: not because someone tells me I can't use it, but simply because I consider it common courtesy.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:
1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

just pointing out that the fact that nobody could name a white death by a police officer doesn't mean it doesn't happen or isn't a problem.

There was that white Australian woman last year in the US who called the cops for whatever reason, and when they arrived she went out to meet them and they just gunned her down!

Whether you are being facetious or that is a true incident - I'll check later - just for your sake I went back and modified my post to change the extreme 'nobody' to 'most'

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.