Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Dano, you have to use per capita numbers.

Why? That's like me saying "you have to use metric, not imperial"! It's simple to me - count how many whites are in prison...then how many blacks. The one with the most wins! "per capita" to me is as silly as your 'electoral college'.

2 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

I disagree. I'm allowed. On both parts. Sorry, PC think is just as bad as Cheeto think in a lot of ways. My voice matters.

ETA: I'm rather offended that again my intelligence is being questioned, and/or my intents, because I don't follow the allowed, accepted PC jargon and have to be educated by reading, yet another article, on how to speak "correctly." No.

I don't think anyone here doubts your intelligence.  I don't doubt your intentions.  And nobody disputes the fact that all lives matter.  But right now, whats happening is the murder of a black man by a white cop who obviously doesn't think black lives matter. Negating the "black lives matter" by arguing semantics is sending a message (one that I don't believe you want to send) that this is not as important as it is.

• Thanks 5

1 minute ago, kali Wylder said:

Negating the "black lives matter" by arguing semantics is sending a message (one that I don't believe you want to send) 

See -that's where I disagree.

I believe that is exactly the message that is intended to be sent -that goes double for "blue lives matter". 

Edited by Han Held
  • Like 1

Before I go imma just leave this here: it’s pretty graphic, but keep in mind these are kids and how well they sum up life for a black person in the US. It’s got some spicy language in it just as a warning. Not much has changed since then.

You all have a good day

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Dano Seale said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Dano, you have to use per capita numbers.

Why? That's like me saying "you have to use metric, not imperial"! It's simple to me - count how many whites are in prison...then how many blacks. The one with the most wins! "per capita" to me is as silly as your 'electoral college'.

Let's take a simple illustration to explain.  What if there were, say only 30 Blacks represented in the graph, but there were 10,000 whites represented.  Since we can see in the graph that a huge number of those in prison are blacks we can deduce that a greater percentage of the black population, overall, is incarcerated.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Didn't do a whole lot of stats in school, eh, Dano?

Let me put this simply, then: the black population makes up about 13% of the US population; whites make up about 65%, so about 5 times as many. Yet there are actually slightly more blacks in the prison system than whites.

So, you can read that two ways, I suppose. Either blacks are about 5 times more likely to be criminals -- or there is something seriously wrong with the system.

Which do you think is more likely?

And please, please, please . . . think very carefully before you hit that "submit" button, ok?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Edited for clarity. Because numbers are, apparently, hard
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:
27 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

People of color are more often convicted compared to whites

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_race.jsp

15 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:
19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Not sure of your point, or what you are deducing.

The (apparently too difficult to understand)point being, no they're not!

Your inmate data...

2083137351_ScreenShot2020-06-02at4_07_51PM.png.836d45f4ec7c79700710de1e3b3a46b3.png

The pool from which it's derived...

image.jpeg.6586eea707fd2c608774bbcb35aea9ff.jpeg

I see others have stepped in to cite the obvious, but I don't feel like tossing out my effort because I was sidelined by a phone call.

If 13.4% of the population produces 38% of the inmates, society has some work to do.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, Han Held said:

I believe that is exactly the message that is intended to be sent -that goes double for "blue lives matter". 

well, I don't think you know Gigi as well as I do.  I am pretty sure I'm right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The more prevalent issue is we need to start isolating and protecting the high risk groups.  We cannot wait too much longer.  We need petitions and they need to be financially taken care of while perhaps (maybe) the lower risk groups go back to work (maybe).  But, we cannot delay protecting those in higher risk groups for COVID-19 any further.  Please start petitions.   

Black Lives Matter.  They are in a serious high risk group.  HELP.  

• Confused 2

A couple years ago, Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) gave a powerful speech on the floor of the U.S. Senate. Scott talked about how he had been repeatedly pulled over by police officers who seemed to be suspicious of a black man driving a nice car. He added that a black senior-level staffer had experienced the same thing and had even downgraded his car in the hope of avoiding the problem. Given that Scott otherwise has pretty conservative politics, there was little objection or protest from the right. No one rose up to say that he was lying about getting pulled over.

The thing is, most people of color have a similar story or know someone who does. Yet, there’s a deep skepticism on the right of any assertion that the criminal-justice system is racially biased.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/09/18/theres-overwhelming-evidence-that-the-criminal-justice-system-is-racist-heres-the-proof/

13 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Let's say your total population includes 1000 black people and 10,000 white people -- all living in the same social-economic area.  Putting 100 black people in prison is 10% of THEIR population.  Putting 500 white people in prison is 5 times the number of blacks, but it is only 5% of THEIR population.  If all other things are equal, then the prison population numbers are disproportionate, suggesting that there is a problem somewhere.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Han Held said:

If you are, then he's the exception that proves the rule.

I can vouch for Gato (who is a she, btw) as well.

I agree with you, Amina, and others that those three words, "all lives matter," whether capitalized or not, have been rendered so toxic by actual usage that they constitute a de facto dismissal of racism, and an insult to black Americans who labour under the very real burden of systemic racism.

But I also know -- and you can see it in some of her posts here as well -- that she is not racist, nor is she denying the importance of BLM.

I think she's dead wrong. But she's absolutely not a racist.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And please, please, please . . . think very carefully before you hit that "submit" button, ok?

Lol, I DID for 10 pages! I DO listen to you and the fluffy one sometimes ya know. Wasn't easy 😐

Back to the sidelines I go!

• Like 2

In answer to OP - no way. 

A cop has done wrong, either through racism or lack of training, and has been arrested for his action. He will certainly do jail time and the rest of his life is effectively over. A punishment that, IMO, he deserves - and almost everyone, on the left or right, agrees. 

So, remind me, why are BLM mobilising on the street right now? Why are people shouting "No justice, no peace"? That'd make sense if the cop had just been suspended or nothing had happened. And, peaceful as many of the protesters may be, nobody in their right mind is going to get behind a movement that shrugs off looting, arson and violence as lesser evils. 

Still - I guess it's encouraging that Covid-19 has been totally eradicated? Or are the protesters ushering in the second wave of the pandemic?

Edited by Hiroshima Wyx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

The more prevalent issue is we need to start isolating and protecting the high risk groups.  We cannot wait too much longer.  We need petitions and they need to be financially taken care of while perhaps (maybe) the lower risk groups go back to work (maybe).  But, we cannot delay protecting those in higher risk groups for COVID-19 any further.  Please start petitions.   

One track mind, that actually doesn't have much to do with the BLM movement, the protests currently going on, and the deaths that sparked it all.

• Thanks 5

People in communications speak of the theory of the noisy channel model of communication. I know this because I just spent some time talking to such a person. Basically it means that because we all think and process differently, we all have our own "noise" and that noise causes problems with communication. Regardless of how perfectly one discusses something it is impossible to communicate so that everyone understands it the exact way it was intended. That's a paraphrase. I probably got it wrong, no fault of the expert talking to me.

I absolutely knew and know of the negative undercurrents of "All Lives Matter" can have. My mistake was in thinking that those words, put into a larger context, in a reasoned discussion, could be understood outside of a narrow parameter. That's where the noisy channel theory comes in. I was wrong. So, in that case, as someone put it, I didn't read the room correctly. I honestly thought "bigger picture" would get communicated. I'm sorry I triggered people. That was not my intent. I do get frustrated when I feel I'm writing clearly and it isn't getting through. That frustration is with myself as much as others. I'm generally not at my best when frustrated. I apologize.

Black lives matter. BLM. BLM does not equal looting and violence. THIS is the time for BLM to gain traction. (I said all of this before, this isn't changing my stripes.)

This really is (mostly) not about a bunch of white folks across the globe yammering about black lives. Until we can truly know, by experiencing day after day, this isn't about us. The irate yelling back and forth isn't the point. This is the time to listen (mostly), as Beth and others have said.

However, I said (mostly) twice for a reason. "We" the yammering non-blacks, are part of the equation. If "we" weren't around then there would be no need for BLM. It is like you can't have an up without a down. So it isn't about US, but we're a part of it. The same about listening. If nothing else happens we need to be listening and not just listening but REALLY hearing. (Again, I said this to Beth.) If we do listen, then we need to be communicating with each other and blacks. Not later. ASAP. First listen. Then talk, to each other, not just amongst ourselves. Change has to come and that will only come about from knowing the problem (listening) and then working out solutions together (talking to each other asap).

I was really hoping to hear more from the SL black community here and I'm really appreciative of the input they've made, and I read every word. Again, if I offended you, it was not my intent and I thought I was saying so over and over.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hiroshima Wyx said:

So, remind me, why are BLM mobilising on the street right now? Why are people shouting "No justice, no peace"? That'd make sense if the cop had just been suspended or nothing had happened.

The protesting is not just about cops being accountable and charged for their actions, but about bringing the entire issue to more light so that the actions are stopped.  It's about getting the cops to change their actions.

9 minutes ago, Hiroshima Wyx said:

And, peaceful as many of the protesters may be, nobody in their right mind is going to get behind a movement that shrugs off looting, arson and violence. 

I do think that BLM would help their cause more if they consistently called out the violence and looting as being wrong.  Many individuals say it, but BLM does not officially say it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Han Held said:

Because you are so eager to be offended you are offended. And you are wrong in regards to me (and that was to whom your comment was referring to Kali). You obviously read nothing, in or out of context. Even the other people who are peeved at me are not taking it the way you are. They are peeved for other reasons. Whatevs. You are, of course, entitled to your moral indignation no matter how ill conceived.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.