Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rewind to August 2015: Then-candidate Donald Trump is on stage in Cleveland at the first Republican presidential debate.

"I think the big problem this country has is being politically correct," Trump tells the moderator, Fox News' Megyn Kelly. "I've been challenged by so many people and I don't, frankly, have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn't have time, either."

Now president-elect, Trump has denounced "political correctness" many, many, times since his campaign began. At a rally a year ago in South Carolina, he called for a "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States." He told a cheering crowd that his statement on the subject was "very, very salient, very important and probably not politically correct."

Politically correct. Political correctness. Using the biggest bully pulpit there is, Trump has wielded the phrase and its variants like a club some days and a shield on others. And he's hardly alone.

Since as far back as 1793, when the term appeared in a U.S. Supreme Court decision about the boundaries of federal jurisdiction, "politically correct" has had an array of definitions. It has been used to describe what is politically wise, and it has been employed as ironic self-mockery. The phrase has driven contentious debates in which free speech and free choice are pitted against civility and inclusion. But it hasn't just changed meaning, it has changed targets. What the November election has made clear is that these words, especially when they're related to matters of multiculturalism and diversity, carry consequences.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2016/12/14/505324427/politically-correct-the-phrase-has-gone-from-wisdom-to-weapon

• Like 5
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not as such, no. We don't really have that kind of thing here as, well, our law enforcement seldom gun down people - and whilst I obviously do not condone of it, I'm hesitant to give my 'official' (i.

Alrighty, now that I've gone ahead and cleared out some not so pleasant posts from this thread I wanted to drop a quick note here. As many of you have seen me say several times before, delving in

Thank you for this.   Black woman here.  Of A Certain Age.  I have my BLM shirt.   For whatever that means. (freewheeling it here, went from wanting to say something to not wanting to say anythi

Posted Images

I want to thank everyone who's contributed information and material. Last night, in large measure because of the suggestions made by a few early posters, I was able to send out to my groups some useful information. Tonight, thanks again to many of you who have posted some very worthwhile links, I'll be able to send out another notice to my groups with further information. And that really, actually, was my primary motivation for this thread. I've learned stuff, and those to whom I'll be sending more will now have the opportunity to learn stuff too.

I was not so stupid as to think that this thread wouldn't be contentious. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by how little (indeed, any?) overt racist responses it has generated. I disagree strongly with many people who have posted here, but I haven't seen anyone denying the realities of racism. Mostly, I think everyone here has demonstrated that they do care. And that's heartening.

But one of the reasons why I phrased the OP the way that I did -- rather than asking more generally for people's thoughts on BLM -- is that I wanted to avoid what has, unfortunately, sort of transpired here: a heated debate between mostly white people about how "we" should best support blacks.

I truly believe that there are few things that we should not be able to discuss, but there is a time and place for everything, and right now is emphatically not the time, in my view, to be attempting nuanced discussions what kind of language is "appropriate" as a response to BLM. Beth said it best: now is the time to listen and to support.

At the risk of sounding like I'm about to break into a chorus of kumbaya: MUCH more unites us here, than divides us. We do care. I'm going to gently (and hopefully) suggest that we should focus less on what seems, in the face of the real horror now unfolding, rather academic and trivial, and more upon how we can best serve to keep the focus upon the inequities that lie at the root of what has been transpiring.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Whether you are being facetious or that is a true incident - I'll check later - just for your sake I went back and modified my post to change the extreme 'nobody' to 'most'

I think it is, it might’ve happened more than a year ago. 

I think he’s just pointing out that white people get shot by the police too, which...isn’t what this is about at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

There was that white Australian woman last year in the US who called the cops for whatever reason, and when they arrived she went out to meet them and they just gunned her down!

You mean the one that was also in Minnesota where the cop was prosecuted, found guilty, and sent to prison for murdering the pretty white woman (rightfully so) but the cops that killed Jamar Clark (no charges filed) and Philando Castile (acquitted) got away with murder, and it remains to be seen what happens to the four police officers that murdered George Floyd? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/30/us/minneapolis-police-noor-verdict.html

Might not be the best example under the circumstances. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

The fact that this thread is full of mostly white people from countries that aren't the US is really illustrative of the problem. 

If you aren't black and living in the US, you don't know what it feels like (and neither do I) to be a black person in the US. 

LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE SPEAK. Listen to the stories. Believe the stories. 

If the people on this thread can't even agree that racism in America is a real thing, a systemic thing, and a deadly, dangerous thing, then we've not even taken the god damn first step. 

For today, it does not matter what the reasoning and neurological makeup of racists is. For today, it does not matter that, of course, all lives matter. For today, white voices need to STFU, including mine. 

Today we need to listen and learn. 

No buts. We need to shut our damn mouths and listen to the black community in the US and their truths. 

After that, maybe we can start fixing things.

Thank you for this.  

Black woman here.  Of A Certain Age.  I have my BLM shirt.   For whatever that means.

(freewheeling it here, went from wanting to say something to not wanting to say anything to having no idea what I'm getting ready to type..  so forgive me)

Spending half the week in Newark with my family.  And the other half in Harlem (NYC) with my father (90 & lung cancer).  I've been cooped up in the house for the better part of the past two months.   These were the two highest counties for covid.  I was waiting for the National Guard in either of these two places. I was ready (I think?) for that to happen.

Then this.  I've been upset and/or numb.  I have a meme on one of my facebook pages that says 
eh, i'll just paste it 

Image may contain: text

So today, it's hitting me hard.  Maybe because not far from where I'm at they destroyed stores, blocks, areas.  Maybe because National Guard is actually a thought.,  Maybe because cheetoh-in-charge is ready to release the military.   Because looters & rioters (NOT BLM).  I don't want to be online.  I don't want to sleep. 

Growing up, my 90 year old father constantly told me about his experiences growing up and didn't have the same experience I had with Caucasians.  I spent my childhood repeating "It's not like that anymore.  I have White friends and I work with White people who don't treat me like that..."  They also *never* used the N word.   

Then as I grew up, I noticed things.  People assumed things because of the way that I looked.  Was surprised at how smart I was, how well spoken.   Especially, coming from Harlem.   Can they touch my hair?  I'm not like some others, I'm a nice girl.   My husband was scared crapless when Larry Davis was being hunted, because even though he was 5 shades lighter, he was a black man with an afro, and cops were looking hard at him, while parked all over the Bronx where we lived.   The day when at 18/19, was coming home from an office Christmas party  with a black guy and two white girls ,(dressed in office Christmas party wear), when the cop threw him against the wall and had guns on us to make sure we didnt interfere.  Because he fit the profile.  I learned  oh, there is racism.

Then the nastiness of Obama's presidency.  The hatred.  Not because he was a bad president, but because he was Black.  They attacked his wife because she was Black.  Made fun of their looks (monkeys).  And, what was concealed and only discussed with your friends at home was being spewed online.   We've made fun of presidents as far back as I can remember.  But, this was really ugly stuff.

And then this ashyhole...  Every other day, there is something.  Thugs, *poop*hole countries.   Rapists.   Key words and hyperbole to make certain people hated and despised.  the day after election day, people were attacking Muslims and Hispanics in the subway.  Spitting, hitting, etc.    He does nothing to comfort,  just appease & blow smoke up the supporters butts.  He's done nothing but try to keep the country divided.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he wasnt as crazy as his campaign made him out to be, because who could be.  But, he continues to show exactly who/what he is.  I said repeatedly, that he was going to take us backwards to a time before I was even  born (60s).    And, we're here!   Right now.   And NOW, when a few months ago he was talking about  sitting down and talking to the protesters, he's ready to send in the military.  Hoses.  Batons.  Guns.  This is where we are heading. 

NOT because of BLM.  Because of looting & rioting.  They are not one & the same.   That's some buttholes jumping on the bandwagon.  If the cops did their job right, they would arrest them.  But, they won't even do that right.  They go after peaceful protesters.  Drag them out of cars.  If the went after the looters, they'd kill them also, when they should be arrested.

OK.. this is why I originally didn't want to say anything. I rant & ramble, go sideways and around the topic, and probably didn't make any damb sense.   But, I think I need to unplug from social media.  I did the whole blackout Tuesday.  But, I need a blackout week I think.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 15
2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:
2 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

BUT you can listen and then talk and then listen again and then talk. White people should be talking, but it should be a conversation. We aren't really having the conversation, we're having soliloquies. 

Tomorrow.

Today is not our day. The conversation comes after we listen.

Why tomorrow and not today?  Or the day after tomorrow or the day after that?  How many days do we stop conversing and only listen and who decides that?  What is so special about today, versus yesterday or the day before, that means we should not be conversing right now?

The OP doesn't have anything to do with it because the OP was simply asking if anyone is doing anything in SL.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Nadia Chatterbox said:

I rant & ramble, go sideways and around the topic, and probably didn't make any damb sense.

You made perfect sense. Thank you.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Why tomorrow and not today?  Or the day after tomorrow or the day after that?  How many days do we stop conversing and only listen and who decides that?  What is so special about today, versus yesterday or the day before, that means we should not be conversing right now?

I think maybe because right now this feels a bit like watching two paramedics argue over what colour tourniquet to use, while someone is bleeding to death at their feet.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

How many days do we stop conversing and only listen and who decides that?

Honestly? In my opinion, it's however many days it takes for us to be able to hear the black voices above the din of white voices telling them what they should do instead of asking them what they'd like us to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I understand that you want to express support ... but, in my opinion, the use of terms such as black or white appealing to people, at least not very culturally and a little smacks of racism. but this is my personal opinion and I may be wrong.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dano Seale said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48113953

Seems to have been a "cop of color"...so probably won't count as "relevent" here?

Beth already pointed out that the policeman in your incident was immediately brought to justice. Whereas, the the events that are causing these protests...suddenly, the wheels of justice got awfully slow 

• Like 4
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:
27 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Whether you are being facetious or that is a true incident - I'll check later

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48113953

Seems to have been a "cop of color"...so probably won't count as "relevent" here?

People of color are more often convicted compared to whites, and they receive harsher sentences   (you can look all this up if you cared to know).

So no doubt they threw the book at that guy...a POC harming a white woman??!

* There have been so many tests where photos of blacks and whites are shown, and questions asked regarding their guilt or innocence. More guilt is always assigned to the blacks.

So how do you think this plays out in our fair cities on the streets?

Edited by Luna Bliss
3 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Beth already pointed out that the policeman in your incident was immediately brought to justice. Whereas, the the events that are causing these protests...suddenly, the wheels of justice got awfully slow 

Yeah, but I was still plowing through page 9 after reading the previous 6 pages and hadn't caught up yet. 

4 minutes ago, Tattooshop said:

, the use of terms such as black or white appealing to people, at least not very culturally and a little smacks of racism. but this is my personal opinion and I may be wrong.

Yup, you are!

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Nadia Chatterbox said:

Spending half the week in Newark with my family.  And the other half in Harlem (NYC) with my father (90 & lung cancer).  I've been cooped up in the house for the better part of the past two months.   These were the two highest counties for covid.  I was waiting for the National Guard in either of these two places. I was ready (I think?) for that to happen.

Many of us have been very concerned about COVID-19 and how it is affecting blacks in a disproportionate way here in America.   I hope we all have some answers to help very, very soon.   Sorry, it's a bit off topic, but it is related to the current unrest that is going on.  I feel many, many days that I want to cry.  People want to lock the thread.  Take care, Nadia.  

News just released TODAY:

London — A report released Tuesday by England's public health body says that people from ethnic minority backgrounds in the country are up to 50% more likely to die of the coronavirus than British white people, though it remains unclear why.

"It confirms that the impact of COVID-19 has replicated existing health inequalities and, in some cases, has increased them," the report said. The disease has also disproportionately affected black communities in the United States.

The report said that age remains the biggest risk factor, but if it is accounted for in the data, people of Bangladeshi descent are 50% more likely to die of COVID-19 than people from a white British background. People from other ethnic minority groups are between 10% and 50% more likely to die of the coronavirus.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aight, the trolling has started again.

I’ll let y’all deal with this. I feel like today was more productive than yesterday. Reading that stuff yesterday kinda made me want to throw my phone against a wall. 

I don’t want to feel like that again today.

Have a great day and be safe everyone.

• Like 9

And you know what was especially horrific about these tests designed to ascertain prejudice?  Even when those who are supposed to be trained to be objective, like judges and scientists, were tested even THEY more often believed the POC was more likely to be guilty    :(

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Not sure of your point, or what you are deducing.

The (apparently too difficult to understand)point being, no they're not!

1 minute ago, Dano Seale said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Not sure of your point, or what you are deducing.

The (apparently too difficult to understand)point being, no they're not!

Dano, you have to use per capita numbers.   As well as review all the Psych tests I have.

If you want to debate with the big girls you have to .....     oh never mind...   😜

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

but I think it blew up as a result of those not taking seriously the high mortality rates among blacks especially in places like Chicago and Louisiana in regards to COVID-19...and then the death of an innocent man, and it just blew!  

NO -- It blew up because of death after death after death after death, with the latest one being so extremely blatant that nobody in their right mind could deny that it was murder.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.