Are you scared? : (

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

24 minutes ago, Storm Clarence said:

Scared?  No.

I'd bet women are looking over at their boyfriends/husbands wondering if the dude can hunt, make a fire, fight, forage; and second guessing those skinny jeans he has on.

But nothing to be scared of :)

Why would we be wondering if they can do the same things we can do ourselves?

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Storm Clarence said:

Scared?  No.

I'd bet women are looking over at their boyfriends/husbands wondering if the dude can hunt, make a fire, fight, forage; and second guessing those skinny jeans he has on.

I'm on several local Facebook and WhatsApp groups to offer help and support in the community as needed and it's overwhelmingly (though certainly not exclusively) women who have been offering, sourcing and providing milk, eggs, nappies, sanitary products, toilet roll, ideas for entertaining children and so on. I think communities are what will get us through this. 

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You were able to understand that "FDA approval" does not (and could not, because of the slow FDA process that Trump has lambasted) mean "approval for Coronavirus" but the President of the United States could easily be confused?

That's precisely my point.

Okay, thanks.  I read it.  The President does know about the slow approval of the FDA.  

Sometimes, I don't know what our politicians know...sometimes I think of them as "talking heads".   

Did he actually state that the anti-malarial drug has approval by the FDA 'for' coronovirus?   I'm asking, because I'm getting an internet run-around currently and being taken to the Wall Street Journal and the page on the Wall Street Journal won't open.  I can't find an article that states exactly what he said.  

Edited by FairreLilette

4 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Did he actually state that the anti-malarial drug has approval by the FDA 'for' coronovirus?   I'm asking, because I'm getting an internet run-around currently and being taken to the Wall Street Journal and the page on the Wall Street Journal won't open.  I can't find an article that states exactly what he said.  

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/488796-trump-steps-up-effort-to-tout-malaria-drug-as-coronavirus-game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Storm Clarence said:

I'd bet women are looking over at their boyfriends/husbands wondering if the dude can hunt, make a fire, fight, forage

Because those are very important skills in a country with an almost entirely urban population. Maybe the fighting part, where Davey Crockett can wrestle that last roll of 1-ply Sam's Choice toilet paper away from the rampaging mob of soy boys.

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

*shakes head* regarding Trump's actual statements and the FDA in the above article.  

and shrugs I dunno.  I'm just glad there is something working.  People who were positive than tested negative after six days of treatment.  Was that a lie?

It states in the above article, a clinical trial is underway...but it will take a year.  *shakes head again*  A year is a long time.  However, I already knew a clinical trial would be at least a year.

Like many others, I am less afraid for myself than I am for others around me.  I am in my 70s and in reasonably good health.  I am taking precautions to stay away from other people, which means staying at home most of the time.  I venture out for essentials like milk and perishable vegetables, and I do grab a takeout cup of coffee from my favorite coffee shop.  My hands are getting chapped from repeated washing -- lotion can't compensate, sadly -- and I am more aware of what things I touch.  So ... heightened awareness of personal hygiene and of the fact that I might be the unwitting carrier of a virus that hits someone else.  I have a good friend who had a stroke on her 94th birthday recently and is in a rehab unit, unable to receive visitors.  The last thing I want to do is compromise her health or others like her.

I worry about the health of the economy, but again less on a personal level than on a global scale. I am most concerned about people who have little or no financial cushion -- people who are self-employed or living on tips and odd jobs and retirees who have a less dependable cash flow and more expenses than I do.  I leave heavy tips when I pick up my takeout coffee, but I know that they will make only a tiny difference.  I fear that they do more to make me feel good than they do to help others. I just hope that once the virus passes, the economy will spring back soon to something that approaches "normal" so that people will be able to work again.

• Like 13

20 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

*shakes head* regarding Trump's actual statements and the FDA in the above article.  

and shrugs I dunno.  I'm just glad there is something working.  People who were positive than tested negative after six days of treatment.  Was that a lie?

It states in the above article, a clinical trial is underway...but it will take a year.  *shakes head again*  A year is a long time.  However, I already knew a clinical trial would be at least a year.

Please don't take hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) plus Azithromycin for #COVID19 UNLESS your doctor prescribes it. Both drugs affect the QT interval of your heart and can lead to arrhythmias and sudden death, especially if you are taking other meds or have a heart condition.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm not particularly scared of getting it, because of reasonable precautions. I'm fairly sure I haven't been an contact with anyone who had it, but since there's a really wide range of symptoms, and apparently people can get it and not even know, I can't be certain. I can't be certain I haven't already had it and just not known. I do know I did get enough Clorox wipes to thoroughly sanitize everything I've touched at work (yeah, custodians, this building has the cleanest doorknobs on Earth).

What I'm more scared of is the idea that no one in the media has ever read Aesop's Fables. They just know they have 24 hours of content to shovel out in a day, and at the end of the day they're telling people by the end of the month people will be burning bodies in the streets because the survivors can't dig mass graves fast enough, they've done their job for the day. Then in six months when none of the end of days predictions come to pass and everyone says "hey, there was no wolf", next time no one will listen to them and the wolf will eat everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I'm not particularly scared of getting it, because of reasonable precautions. I'm fairly sure I haven't been an contact with anyone who had it, but since there's a really wide range of symptoms, and apparently people can get it and not even know, I can't be certain. I can't be certain I haven't already had it and just not known. I do know I did get enough Clorox wipes to thoroughly sanitize everything I've touched at work (yeah, custodians, this building has the cleanest doorknobs on Earth).

What I'm more scared of is the idea that no one in the media has ever read Aesop's Fables. They just know they have 24 hours of content to shovel out in a day, and at the end of the day they're telling people by the end of the month people will be burning bodies in the streets because the survivors can't dig mass graves fast enough, they've done their job for the day. Then in six months when none of the end of days predictions come to pass and everyone says "hey, there was no wolf", next time no one will listen to them and the wolf will eat everyone.

Dr, Fauci says if extreme measures work as we hope, it retrospect they will seem like overreaction.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Dr, Fauci says if extreme measures work as we hope, it retrospect they will seem like overreaction.

Yeah. It would actually in a way be great if, in the future, people are saying, "Oh, why did we go to all that trouble, it was no big deal!" That means it worked and we did actually avert the worst of the crisis. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Because those are very important skills in a country with an almost entirely urban population. Maybe the fighting part, where Davey Crockett can wrestle that last roll of 1-ply Sam's Choice toilet paper away from the rampaging mob of soy boys.

I want to know what love is. I want you to show me.

• Haha 1

Just a FYI - the use of an antimalarial drug in combination with an antibiotic only showed promise in treating a particular complex of secondary infections - those that moved in on an immune system already weakened by fighting the primary infection, the coronavirus. An antibiotic has no effect whatsoever on a viral infection. Nor, given its mechanism of action, could an antimalarial.

Antiviral therapies - to treat an existing infection, rather than immunize you against it like a vaccine - are few and far between. They are all developed to attack a particular viruses lifestyle and reproductive cycle and do not usually have much effect on other viruses that are not in the same general family. For example, the anti-HIV therapies that have been developed are very likely to work on other retroviruses because these therapies target aspects of the viral lifecycle that are common to retroviruses. They won't touch a picornavirus(common cold, hoof and mouth, polio, haemorrhagic conjunctivitis, coxsackie endocarditis), a poxvirus(measles, rubella, smallpox), a rhabdovirus(rabies) or a coronavirus(do I really need to give a list, you only care about one).

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Just a FYI - the use of an antimalarial drug in combination with an antibiotic only showed promise in treating a particular complex of secondary infections - those that moved in on an immune system already weakened by fighting the primary infection, the coronavirus. An antibiotic has no effect whatsoever on a viral infection. Nor, given its mechanism of action, could an antimalarial.

Antiviral therapies - to treat an existing infection, rather than immunize you against it like a vaccine - are few and far between. They are all developed to attack a particular viruses lifestyle and reproductive cycle and do not usually have much effect on other viruses that are not in the same general family. For example, the anti-HIV therapies that have been developed are very likely to work on other retroviruses because these therapies target aspects of the viral lifecycle that are common to retroviruses. They won't touch a picornavirus(common cold, hoof and mouth, polio, haemorrhagic conjunctivitis, coxsackie endocarditis), a poxvirus(measles, rubella, smallpox), a rhabdovirus(rabies) or a coronavirus(do I really need to give a list, you only care about one).

Yes, I think most of us who have actually had a "flu" that made us really sick know antibiotics do not work on a virus.  

The problem is the coronavirus is causing pneumonia, not in all cases though.  Some cases appear to be mild.  Yet the news is changing rapidly and I do not plan to keep up on all those internet stories nor their "cookies".  

As far as the anti-malarial...I personally do not know what, why, how it is working nor what it is doing.  But, like I said, I don't plan to keep up on the "cookies" because there is just too much phishing going on.  

19 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I’m not in an at risk category and even then to put it in perspective. It currently has an 89% recovery rate.

The only people not in any risk category are the ones already dead.

That said...

Panic is pointless so not scared here.

Stuff will happen, or it won't. Just be prepared.

If you're lucky you live in Korea - where they got their act together overnight, or China, where they have their act together now.

If you're screwed you live in Italy, UK, or USA - which are likely to be the places that will see the worst of this, or already have seen the worst of it - because they have grossly incompetent national governments.

Or in the case of the USA... one that held back on national action notification to give time for Senators (MPs) in the ruling party to profiteer on stocks...

That said, I've lived through a whole lot of violence in my life, been homeless, had to steal food, and have had people I know die in racist violence and other violence. I've also seen people pick themselves up after it all, rise up, and thrive - I'm an example of such.

You just, soldier through and get on with it.

I don't know if modern British actually have the 'stiff upper lip' concept that the culture prides itself on and is known for - but that is the attitude to take. Be rational, be prepared, don't panic. Just soldier through with a sense of mission readiness.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I'm not particularly scared of getting it, because of reasonable precautions. I'm fairly sure I haven't been an contact with anyone who had it, but since there's a really wide range of symptoms, and apparently people can get it and not even know, I can't be certain.

I believe Cuomo in New York was saying they just found another 10,000 cases in NY. NOT because they were new cases... but because they're only finally able to start testing people.

In other words - it's already a lot more widespread than people realize.

I was never a fan of this guy... but right now I'm wishing he was living in a house that was painted white...

If you want a steady ship to steer by to get through this, watch his broadcasts. He may be saying scary stuff, but he's telling it in basic facts with basic common sense "stay safe" advice.

Don't tune in to CNN, FOX, or (outside of Cuomo) MSNBC - these networks make money off of panicked eyeballs... they need you in constant freak out mode.

Just find someone 'dry and just the facts' like Cuomo to get the no-nonsense calm-the-freak-down that is needed.

Basically just hit youtube and search for 'Cuomo'... then turn it off as soon as the relevant channel puts it's "OMG PANIC NOW" newscaster back on...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Arquet said:

AND we're meant to be better at cooking, too.😏

Why are all the top chef's men then eh...eh?  😛

Kidding, I'M KIDDING!...Kinda. You just walked into a question that has puzzled me for a long time really. While I'm here, a subject I've not seen much talked about is, what happens to all the homeless during these "lockdowns"? 

1 minute ago, Dano Seale said:

Why are all the top chef's men then eh...eh?  😛

Kidding, I'M KIDDING!...Kinda. You just walked into a question that has puzzled me for a long time really. While I'm here, a subject I've not seen much talked about is, what happens to all the homeless during these "lockdowns"? 

At least here in Scotland they are in deep brown stuff. The government and the various organizations that specifically look out for the homeless are scrambling to try and get something in place they can access, but right now it aint looking good.

I know many are worried and scared - but as long as you're not high risk (over 65 or immunocompromised or suffer from serious pre-existing conditions) you'll be fine. Just practice social distancing and keep yourself safe.

Don't watch the news - as Pussycat Catnip said - they're opportunists wanting the public in high alert. They should follow the eerily sweet way of US politicians right now and try to focus on mitigating panic and keeping everyone calm, and not thinking it's going to be the end of the world when it's not.

If what I've heard is to be believed, higher temperatures will kill off Coronavirus, and if not, Vaccines are in the works and at best we'll have them ready by later this year - and if you do find yourself catching it - rest assured you'll be better prepared for it if it comes back around - What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, y'know?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think we'd be lying if we said there wasn't at least a tiny dose of fear in most of us - it might not even be fear of the virus itself, but of the effects on the world. 

We have a choice, though. We can either get lost in the fear, or we can buck up, grasp hold of our resolve, and get on with it. The next few weeks, or months, are going to be challenging for each of us in very different ways. This is happening, though, and we can't just avoid it and act like life is the same now as it was even a month ago. 

A lot of people are choosing to focus on the negative, and I'm not for one second advising that anyone be blind to the realities, but there are also some very awesome things that could come of this as well. Forget the government officials of wherever you are for a minute, and take a look at the people in your community and how everyone (well, most everyone) is coming together to help each other get through this in new and inventive ways that allow us to feel connected even though we can't physically be together. Look at all the artists stepping up to the plate to keep us sane and entertained - have you watched any of the live concerts? All sorts of musicians and singers are live streaming from local acts to superstars. It's really pretty cool how things like this are happening organically. 

It's entirely possible that we come out the other side of this with a greater appreciation of each other. And we will come out the other side of this. We are a resilient people. We will survive, the economy will survive. We've gone through rough periods - and I mean that as a planet, not individually. It makes me feel so old to realize many weren't born yet, or don't remember 9/11. We've had world wars, plagues, atomic bombs that obliterated entire cities, massive fires... hell, for the Biblical peeps, there was even a massive flood that covered the entire planet and we still somehow survived!

I know I'm going to be mocked for being such a Pollyanna, but I'm feeling pretty safe and mellow right now. I know I'm not dealing with problems others are facing, and I know I'm one of the extremely lucky ones, and I'm not trying to lesson or diminish anyone else's feelings or fears. We're all entitled to our emotions, whatever they are. I can chose to make this the worst possible situation for myself, or the best possible situation for myself. 

I'm going with optimism. 

I reserve the right to change my mind if everything goes all to hell.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The only people not in any risk category are the ones already dead.

If you're screwed you live in Italy, UK, or USA - which are likely to be the places that will see the worst of this

All of the people who have died have had previously existing known or unknown health conditions or have been old. The risks against anyone outside of the elderly and those with said health conditions are relatively low and it gets less serious the younger you are. 1 in 5 develop serious symptoms and even then that 1 person is subject to the reasons outlined above. The rest it’s a mild infection. You don’t hear about the rest because mild infections don’t sell media, pure panic and death everywhere does. In the U.K. right now, in the last month we have had 5000 cases and 250ish deaths. In a country of 60 million that’s a small drop in a pond to put it bluntly in perspective (currently). Italy is only as bad as it is because it has the oldest population in the world.

So the advice is simple. Calm, breathe, relax, play SL, if you need to isolate then do so.

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

Scared?  No.

I've men living in my building who can hunt, make a fire, fight, forage, etc. (Well, that's what they've been in prison for! - no joke!!)

I'm still a wee bit more scared of them living underneath me (fire especially), than the virus. And the fact we have a bloke in charge of our country who can't even tame his own hair. That is scary. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
to make bee been, the 'n' dropped off somewhere
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1460 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.