Jump to content

How are you feeling today?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   Well, we don't serve pancakes for breakfast .. They're more of a lunch or dinner food, traditionally eaten on Thursdays as a kind of half-dessert/half-second-course to pea soup.

Ja, torsdagsrätter. Jag kommer ihåg. Men säkert kan du göra ett undantag för en amerikan ...?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

17423777-d4e2-4bc4-b9b8-a700cf49e59f.jpg

   American 'pancakes'. 

   Notice how whenever you put 'American' in front of a food word, it basically means 'fake' - American Cheese, American Pizza, American Pancakes ... *huffs*

We don't call them "American" here. And this is what you will get here at a "Pancake house" (like IHOP). The menu items for "pancakes" looks like this. But, some also sell crepes (like IHOP).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Random letters! 

Kynnedddlydrrrst! Mov zendnneir! .... :)

(And I ran that through Google translate to make sure I didn't tell someone to eff themselves in some language. I had to change a couple of letters because it was reading as Bulgarian. :) )

Edited by Seicher Rae
misspelled Kynnedddlydrrrst
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

On the subject of full English... how on earth did you guys start thinking beans were a breakfast food?! 

I'm good with everything else (except the mushrooms because mushrooms are the devil's toe jam) but beans? Baked beans? For breakfast? 

No. Just no. 

You may change your mind about mushrooms.  I used to think who the heck eats fungus!!! But now I go out of my way to eat these little gems, they really have some special qualities that revitalise, which is why they are especially good on a breakfast plate.  They contain potassium and magnesium (so good for us girls), and vitamin D and zinc.  Baked beans too, full of fibre, and the tomato sauce they come in contains lycopene, which is believed to prevent male cancers.  MMmmmushrooms and beans on toast for me tomorrow then :)  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

You may change your mind about mushrooms.  I used to think who the heck eats fungus!!! But now I go out of my way to eat these little gems, they really have some special qualities that revitalise, which is why they are especially good on a breakfast plate.  They contain potassium and magnesium (so good for us girls), and vitamin D and zinc.  Baked beans too, full of fibre, and the tomato sauce they come in contains lycopene, which is believed to prevent male cancers.  MMmmmushrooms and beans on toast for me tomorrow then :)  

I've tried for 50 years to like mushrooms. I'm afraid it's just not going to happen! Everyone in my family loves them - I want to love them. They're just so... bad. Same with bananas. I really want to like bananas but I just can't. Slimy, mushy, spongy foods are just a big NOPE for me. 

I love baked beans, though - just not for breakfast! I suppose they might help propel you through your day, though... 🍑🌪️🔥🤭

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Although I'm 'murican, I've had plenty of full English breakfasts in my day and in regards to the picture: Beans? I never got beans. Weird. And thankfully I just got regular buttered toast not the fried bread, although I've had fried bread. I prefer the toast.

I haven't posted here for a while because I'm generally depressed, grumpy and annoyed and who wants to read about that? I recently have had some decent RL news, that helps me get out of a sort of limbo that I've been in for a decade. So today color me slightly less depressed and grumpy.  Although I'm am over-people-ing in SL and the extra energy that takes out of me is annoying, so color me the same amount of annoyed I guess.

"Who wants to read about that?" People in this thread. We do.  Better out than in! Depression and the grumps are part of life for a heck of a lot of people, and sometimes it's good to have people to reach out to that will just pull you up out of the blackness, even if you just really want to go sit in a corner quietly with a book.  I am glad you have had some decent real life news to help you - The Power That Is Bigger Than All of Us can surely take us by nice surprise at times.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

That is black pudding, 🤮 Don't tell @BelindaN but it is one of those foods that should be burnt in hell like sprouts.

And it is most definitely NOT pudding - which is why it should be burnt in hell

 

For me, a "proper" egg breakfast would include the eggs, hash browns, toast, and either bacon or sausage (or both) - and that's all.  Definitely no beans or mushrooms (double yuck there) or black pudding (triple yuck) or even the tomato actually.

 

 

10 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I have never ordered anything other than a chinese or pizza before.  It was definitely worth it.  I say go for it for a one off treat. 

My husband and I sometimes order from some of the restaurants around here -- almost all of them deliver now via the Grubhub and DoorDash companies.  We can get pretty much anything delivered these days.

I've also started ordering a few fully prepared meals, delivered weekly - from companies like Freshly and Factor.  I found that when we get into that 'FU Cooking' mood, we munch/snack too much.  I've never kept frozen meals on hand because they really aren't that healthy -- too much salt even if everything else is okay.  The prepared meals are shipped fresh, no preservatives so they keep for only a week in the fridge, and they microwave in roughly 3 min.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pancakes suck, crepes are meh, omelets are definitely edible with the right ingredients in them -- which does NOT ever include mushrooms.

I like skillets, with it all cooked together --- scrambled eggs, scrambled sausage, hash browns, onions, bell peppers and cheese.   Sometimes add some salsa or hot sauce or green chili, sometimes not.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Yep, it sure does.  I'll be back at it again tonight re-updating the outfits... although I think there may be some I'll delete out of sheer frustration :)

I think you have amazing patience.  All this new stuff, I just have never been able to get my head around it all. Ran out of patience at the inception of buying separate feet with toes (some years ago now!). 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I've tried for 50 years to like mushrooms. I'm afraid it's just not going to happen! Everyone in my family loves them - I want to love them. They're just so... bad. Same with bananas. I really want to like bananas but I just can't. Slimy, mushy, spongy foods are just a big NOPE for me. 

I love baked beans, though - just not for breakfast! I suppose they might help propel you through your day, though... 🍑🌪️🔥🤭

You're only the second person I know who doesn't like bananas.

Beans are best for breakfast, but today I have them for lunch, on pikelets........yum!

PS Pikelet = Crumpet almost.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I think you have amazing patience.  All this new stuff, I just have never been able to get my head around it all. Ran out of patience at the inception of buying separate feet with toes (some years ago now!). 

It's not so much patience as it is that I get the occasional urge to break out of what's easy for me and try something new.  I have pretty severe anxiety, and one way I cope is by sticking with the familiar... which is one of the reasons I resisted BoM pretty strenuously for quite a while.  I can't control life; it's uncertain by definition.  I can, however, control my avatar's look and what methods I use to achieve it.

Having said that, well, obviously the urge to break out of the comfortable hit (and also the urge to be able to make my own alphas), so BoM it is :)  I'm weirdly proud of myself.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

You're only the second person I know who doesn't like bananas.

Beans are best for breakfast, but today I have them for lunch, on pikelets........yum!

PS Pikelet = Crumpet almost.

I bet you hold your pinkie away when you drink tea (with a dash of milk of course)

 

12 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

You may change your mind about mushrooms.  

You definitely should try a foraged mushroom soup (from safe source) or in eggs.

 

11 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And it is most definitely NOT pudding - which is why it should be burnt in hell

Yes it is. https://britishfoodhistory.com/2011/11/15/what-is-a-pudding/

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

  I'm weirdly proud of myself.

You should be.

I am weirdly proud of you too - maybe if my computer was up to a bit more Second Life time, my next obsession would have been baked on mesh, but I don't think so. My Second Life was less about working on my avatar, and more about playing with stuff that other people had scripted (AI bots/zombies/vehicles/doors/elevators) and exploring.  Sometimes I log in and see a number on the right hand side of my screen scrolling to 300,000, and a message "other people may not be able to see you" and I log straight back out again, energy zapped immediately somehow.  

28 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

You're only the second person I know who doesn't like bananas.

Beans are best for breakfast, but today I have them for lunch, on pikelets........yum!

PS Pikelet = Crumpet almost.

Here in Rotherham, we don't seem to do Pikelets, but in one of the adjacent towns - Barnsley - where I used to live, it was always pikelets rather than crumpets. From memory, pikelets seemed to be a fraction thinner than crumpets, and easier to eat with bacon and savoury stuff, but crumpets are just made for slathering heaps of butter on (and sometimes honey).  Ohhhh I can feel the butter dribbling down my chin now.

There are currently mushrooms and sausages baking in the oven. Can't be bothered standing over a pan, and less washing up bunging everything in the oven with aluminium foil (I know, I know, recycle, recycle !!! Shall do.)  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Beans are best for breakfast

And this is just one of the reasons the Brits have such a terrible culinary reputation.

Many years ago, on a trip to the UK with my then-partner, we decided to grab an English breakfast at a cafeteria-style place (I think we were in Durham). We lined up with our trays, my partner in front of me. The server took his plate, and heaped egg . . . bacon . . . chips . . . a tomato, I think . . . on to it. It looked delicious, in an incredibly unhealthy sort-of-way. THEN, before my partner had time to react, the server just dumped a huge ladle of baked beans over the whole thing. My partner gasped audibly in dismay, and looked at me in horror. Then the server took my plate, and, before she could do anything, I told her "But no beans, please." I just smiled sweetly as she put only nice things on my plate, while my partner glared at me resentfully.

In hindsight, that may have been the beginning of the end for our relationship.

  • Haha 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something about Beth lately is making threads turn into food fights. :) For the record, because this is important: Yes to bananas, but only of a certain ripeness. Too ripe and they are only good for banana bread and I'm pretty ambivalent about banana bread. A little goes a longs ways. Ambivalent about black pudding, but definitely have to eat it without too much thought about wtf it is. Crumpets are god's gift to humanity and make up for all of the other sins against food that the British have committed. Crumpets with butter slathered and dripping, but also with clotted cream--not just for scones.

Part of my RL news included finally getting accepted into subsidized housing. Because of a lot of other craptastic events in my life, I've been teetering on homelessness for way too long. I've been living in limbo, my rent is literally more than my income that I get for disability (a relatively new thing because of accidents/injury), and I was on the waiting list for the local homeless shelter (yeah, folks, there are waiting lists) and was accepted and was ready to move in but got saved by another program at the last minute. I was within 24 hours of living in a shelter. My new apartment, which I will be moving into in March, is nicer than the one I'm currently in and will be only 1/5th the rent. If this had gone on another few months my money would have been completely gone, and I do mean completely. My savings was getting depleted a few hundred a month because of the current situation and as of Feb. 1 I had $195 left.

The financial/housing situation is only the tip of the iceberg, but it is an important first step to some kind of normalcy in my life, something I have not had for over ten years.

To celebrate a little, and this gives you more of a clue to "how am I feeling today" I ordered a new vibrator and a huge bag of caramel M&Ms from Amazon. Can't wait until tomorrow. :)

 

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

M&Ms come in caramel now?

The healthcare system in the US leaves a lot to be desired.  I do know some families near me that ended up homeless due to medical debt from accidents even after crowd funding for help.  I'm glad an alternative was found for you.  That has to be some kind of relief.  I won't question your vibrator purchase since we all celebrate in different ways 🍌 <- Banana tie in?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Something about Beth lately is making threads turn into food fights. :) For the record, because this is important: Yes to bananas, but only of a certain ripeness. Too ripe and they are only good for banana bread and I'm pretty ambivalent about banana bread. A little goes a longs ways. Ambivalent about black pudding, but definitely have to eat it without too much thought about wtf it is. Crumpets are god's gift to humanity and make up for all of the other sins against food that the British have committed. Crumpets with butter slathered and dripping, but also with clotted cream--not just for scones.

Part of my RL news included finally getting accepted into subsidized housing. Because of a lot of other craptastic events in my life, I've been teetering on homelessness for way too long. I've been living in limbo, my rent is literally more than my income that I get for disability (a relatively new thing because of accidents/injury), and I was on the waiting list for the local homeless shelter (yeah, folks, there are waiting lists) and was accepted and was ready to move in but got saved by another program at the last minute. I was within 24 hours of living in a shelter. My new apartment, which I will be moving into in March, is nicer than the one I'm currently in and will be only 1/5th the rent. If this had gone on another few months my money would have been completely gone, and I do mean completely. My savings was getting depleted a few hundred a month because of the current situation and as of Feb. 1 I had $195 left.

The financial/housing situation is only the tip of the iceberg, but it is an important first step to some kind of normalcy in my life, something I have not had for over ten years.

To celebrate a little, and this gives you more of a clue to "how am I feeling today" I ordered a new vibrator and a huge bag of caramel M&Ms from Amazon. Can't wait until tomorrow. :)

 

 

Glad to hear you've at last been lucky with the housing. 

And have a place to be entertained by a new BoB.

Caramel M & Ms? I didn't know they even existed.  Yum. 

Enjoy the first day - and the rest of - your life! Sounds like a very nice brand new start for you, although the disability factor is obviously a bear.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am constantly amazed and in awe and full of admiration and respect for the people I meet here. We all have issues, yes, because we're human and having issues goes along with being human, but some of us are dealing with SO MUCH MORE than others and the grace, and strength, with which they carry those burdens is astounding. 

It also goes to show that when talking/battling/dealing with people (on the internet in our particular cases) you never know what is happening offline in their lives. People are carrying unimaginably heavy burdens, and doing it with such quiet dignity, and... hell, I'm just awestruck by you people.

And before any of you become homeless, you can come live with me. We'll each sit on opposite sides of the room on our computers in SL and pretend we're not actually in the same room so we can continue being misanthropes. 

❤️ ❤️❤️

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

It also goes to show that when talking/battling/dealing with people (on the internet in our particular cases) you never know what is happening offline in their lives. People are carrying unimaginably heavy burdens

I wish more people would realize this, although for some it still wouldn't make a difference. 9 years ago, or whenever the years (yes, yearS) long targeting of me was taking place first in the old Forums then inworld, my real life was falling apart. My depression was at an all time low (for then, it's gotten worse). Suicide was considered. The bullying, while not the main issue in my life, did not help. SL had started out as my safe place to hide and to be when the real world was closing in too hard and too fast. The bullies took that safety away, and my life became that much more dire. I was not alone with the targeting. There was a certain group that targeted a few people. There was one bat-sh*t-crazy person though, in particular, that was my own private hell. She is vicious and obsessed. For all I know the abuse is still ongoing, but I've reached a point where a psychotic Internet nutjob is but a blip compared to other things. That doesn't mean my SL experience wasn't forever changed, because it was. So yeah, we should NEVER assume that everyone is living the dream. I can sit around and banter and goof off while also wondering if I'm going to be living under a bridge tomorrow. Humor is my protection mechanism. Bantering is my way to divert my attention from myself. Like the poster shared above of "I don't look sick..." Exactly. I don't look like there are problems in my life when I am in SL (and usually the Forums, unless you're an idiot spouting about mental health when you don't have a clue). In RL I don't look like I should be on disability, either. Or food stamps.  Normal people may need a reminder now and again to not be so quick to judge. We ALL do it. But the true psychopaths that are online, and there are quite a few, don't care who they hurt or how. Being bat-*****-crazy isn't an excuse for it either.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...