How are you feeling today?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm finally on the other side of menopause and all this crap still gets blamed on my hormones - or lack thereof.  

Hormones are forever.  Different hormones, but still ...   So are minor daily aches, robocalls, Internet trolls, political advertisements, and that embarrassing zit on your chin.  I seem to be blessed with an even temper, but there are days when all those little annoyances pile up. My own favorite tool for dealing with them is denial.  It's great.  So is a nice long walk in the woods. It doesn't necessarily do anything for long-term issues, but heck ... the long term is built one day at a time.  

• Like 12

I'm sorry.  I really didn't mean to derail a perfectly good thread with one of my own nagging demons.  A zit isn't much of a gripe in the grand parade of life, but sometimes a tiny annoyance like that is all it takes to shove you over the edge. If so, I share your pain.  No, zits do not go away at 48, or 60, or (yet) at 73. Hence the long walks in the woods. Some days, the cure is to toss a rock at a chipmunk.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I went zit crazy at puberty, and still get an occasional one now...…..

I have a bottle of Clean and Clear to kill the occasional zit I occasionally pick. Occasional ones I can deal with, but I had a right outburst of adult acne when I was 55 - it was the storm before the lull thankfully, and here at 57 all is calm, but I am developing some weird jowly bits and neck wrinkles almost on a daily basis. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

A zit isn't much of a gripe in the grand parade of life, but sometimes a tiny annoyance like that is all it takes to shove you over the edge.

This ^^

These days it just doesn't seem to take much to have me over the edge.  Maybe I just need to figure out how to define a new normal for all of my issues, such that a new edge is defined that is much farther away.

• Like 5

I never had acne as a teenager. I had the clearest, most gorgeous skin. Now? At 50? Zits? ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME? Because everything else piling up isn't enough, now I have to have a freaking zit on my chin. 

Not to mention that after finally getting to the point where the hot flashes and lack of libido drove me to taking hormones, suddenly my period is back and it's like the freaking mouth of a raging river dumping into the ocean. It's supposed to be stopping not getting heavier!

My boss, who is the same age I am, just went through a uterine ablation because of the heaviness of her periods during menopause. That didn't sound so terrible to me until I googled it and OMFG NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!! NOPE. No! Just NO!

Not to bash on men here, and I know they have their own issues with their little prostate, but they seriously have nooooooooooooooo idea what kinda crap goes along with being a woman. 

0f40cfbb6dedde0deb6a949f2fa4a6a9.jpeg.e7a1e38633cd46875b390b00addada2d.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I'm not laughing at you, Beth, but with you.

Even when the periods stop PMS is still a thing.  At least for me.  Not every month but often enough to make me want to cry over wanting to cry for no damn reason.

Chocolate is best cure for PMS; even if my figure disagrees but it makes me HAPPY so yeah. :P LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I never really got hot flashes.  I do get chilled sometimes where if feels like I just can't get warm.

Trade you! 

2 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I know! I'm just happy to have a group of people here who understand the misery of it all. It's just a part of life, but it can be really miserable, and this is the place where we can be miserable AND empathize with others, and sometimes part of empathy is laughing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Even when the periods stop PMS is still a thing.  At least for me.  Not every month but often enough to make me want to cry over wanting to cry for no damn reason.

Yep.  It has been 3 years since the monthly annoyance, yet I still find myself being oddly overly emotional at random times.  Sometimes, between the emotions and the zits, it really is like being a teenager all over again

ITs-not-fair.png

I actually feel just a tad better after posting that picture -- it was sort of like screaming it out loud.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I never had acne as a teenager. I had the clearest, most gorgeous skin. Now? At 50? Zits? ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME? Because everything else piling up isn't enough, now I have to have a freaking zit on my chin. 

I had to buy Stridex. It works but honestly I thought I'd be done with zits by now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Not to mention that after finally getting to the point where the hot flashes and lack of libido drove me to taking hormones, suddenly my period is back and it's like the freaking mouth of a raging river dumping into the ocean. It's supposed to be stopping not getting heavier!

My boss, who is the same age I am, just went through a uterine ablation because of the heaviness of her periods during menopause. That didn't sound so terrible to me until I googled it and OMFG NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!! NOPE. No! Just NO!

Not to bash on men here, and I know they have their own issues with their little prostate, but they seriously have nooooooooooooooo idea what kinda crap goes along with being a woman. 

0f40cfbb6dedde0deb6a949f2fa4a6a9.jpeg.e7a1e38633cd46875b390b00addada2d.jpeg

Oh the periods thing - if it is any consolation, I thought I had finished altogether with all that messy malarky in 2015, but it just took a break for eight months, then two months of spotting, and then OMG nightmare flooding like I hadn't had since I was 16. Menopause memory (or lack of it) caused me to forget whether I had removed a tampon, so ended up seeing a nurse at my doctor's practice, who asked me why I was even using tampons. Not. Going. Back. To. Pads. I said. Oh the humiliation.  BUT, only two more heavy periods after that and since October 2016 absolutely nothing. Serene nothingness. I wish that for you too.

The dry skin, dry eyes, dry gums though are another problem. I can live with all those though, rather than the messy monthlies and miserable mood swings. But I do agree that sometimes I could just sit and weep over very little, like a wave of despair just washes over me, and that I didn't really get before. My need to rage about things has more or less gone though. 

Weirdest thing is that I seem to have gone full circle, and maybe - stark realisation hit me when I read your post actually - and something made me recently and very suddenly contact my first proper boyfriend, from when I was 15 and we were still at school. It took two lines of dialogue on a Facebook page, and one click of a friend acceptance button, and astounded me how easy it was. At this moment I am wondering if I should have. It seemed to be going well - too well - and they say if something feels too good to be true, then it probably is. 

I feel a wave of despair washing over me again. 

Oh, and I have more self-destruct than I used to have - that I put down to menopause too :( 

Edited by Marigold Devin
self destructing
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Mahala Roviana said:

I had to buy Stridex. It works but honestly I thought I'd be done with zits by now. 

My skin care routine at age 50 is far more convoluted, expensive, and insane than it was when I was 15! My skin is still pretty decent, but I get breakouts now like never before. 

Goofy hormones.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.