Wearing underwear

Janet Voxel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, the other day I’m at home and a noob comes crashing into my house. She was of the talking kind, so she told me she was new, about a week old, still rocking her Free Dove tag.

I wasn’t doing anything else, so I decided to help her out for a little while. She was wearing some off brand mesh body and had no hair base. Long story short....I helped her get a couple of freebie hairs and a couple of freebie clothes. Not sure if they’ll fit the off brand body....but anyway. After about an hour and a half to two ours later, she looked a little less ridiculous than when she barged up in my house.

Anyway, towards the end of my time with her as she was happily trying on all of her free dove loot. She said something interesting, something I’d never thought of in 10 years of being on here.

She said, “None of these clothes fit over my underwear.” Sure enough, none of the mismatched badly textured freebies she was trying on fit over her freebie body’s bra and panties.

Now the first thing, I’m thinking is “why are you wearing underwear in the first place?” I thought better of that, and tried to explain that with different mesh and different creators, there’s no guarantee that any given mesh will fit over another mesh. Then I jokingly told her it’s SL, you don’t really have to worry about wearing underwear under your mesh clothes. She was having none of that, and started getting obsessive about finding something that would fit over her bra and panties.

I made my exit here....

So my question is. Is wearing underwear that important to you? Do you have to wear underwear when you’re getting dressed?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I prefer to wear a bra and panties when my outer clothing permits it.  Because of the low cut nature of many SL fashions, I'll often settle for just panties.

I absolutely HATE all the mesh lingerie that seems to be so popular lately.  As Janet's newbie found, you can hardly ever wear them under mesh clothing.  Do you suppose that all of Today's Mesh Girls, when they bring someone home and murmur, "pour us a drink while I slip into something more comfortable" simply trade their ClubDress325 outfit for their Seduction57 outfit, consisting of mesh bra and panties?  That seems wrong.  Underwear is supposed to be UNDER the clothes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If I'm working then I'm usually got crotch pastie under dress or skirt; now if off duty then I'm unlikely to have on as my non exclusive partner may of made bonfire of any underwear has :/ - but he brought me new pretty things! :D 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

So my question is. Is wearing underwear that important to you? Do you have to wear underwear when you’re getting dressed?

Yes I wear panties, it really pisses me off that some of the dresses are very short and my whohaa shows.  And yes, I find most of the panties do not fit under mesh correctly. Otherwise no.  I mean like it matters anyway now when you tp into any place you see everyone naked anyway. There really needs to be more work done on preventing this.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 2

I laughed.

Ok. (Oh wait, I recently read where "ok" is gauche.) Okay, on to the serious question. I rarely wear underwear. If I'm running around exploring while wearing a dress I just use the mesh body HUD and hide all of my parts. Take that, you up skirt camming pervs! If I think I'll have an audience later when I may be undressing, I'll wear lingerie. At least I think I do. The last time that happened was a long while ago. Ah, geez, now I have to go into my inventory to find if I have mesh compatible underwear besides what came with the Maitreya body. Ever the optimist. 

• Like 1

The only time I wear underwear is when I'm wearing it as "lingerie", which is not the use you are talking about.

If I have on outer clothing, then nope, I don't bother with undies. If I get the urge to hide my bits, I just use the appropriate alpha on my Lara HUD. Mostly I don't care if someone sees my pixels; I've certainly shown them on Flickr enough in the past. :SwingingFriends:

• Like 3

It ain't just underwear.  A lot of mesh tops and mesh pants don't go well together, even ones that get bought together as an outfit.  If they are two separate pieces, it's very likely that they will interpenetrate when you move.

When I wear a mesh top, I'll often wear system layer pants, and vice versa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janetosilio said:

I always wear panties under a dress or skirt, but never under pants.  I wear bras depending on the type of top I'm wearing.  I'm not much into low-cut exposure, but if I have a top that I like that seems to barely cover the nipples, I'll typically add a bra.  Other than that, I wear bra and panties if I'm doing some sort of lingerie picture.

Given all of that, I have tons of underwear -- both applier and mesh.  

• Like 1

I don't use mesh underwear under mesh clothes. I used to have a problem with clothes that need to make the body invisible but I have seen in multiple video games that this is standard procedure so I've accepted it. 

I try to remain clothed when trying on demos or changing clothes. You just need to "add" clothes on top of your current clothes and then remove the current clothes. Like taking off your underwear with your pants still on. 

• Like 2

Appliers, yes. Fit under almost any clothes. Almost.

I don't like the idea of jumping into G-rated region and appearing naked to others until my avatar loads for them. Also, I don't have to think twice before removing my shirt if I want to try a demo wherever. Some dresses cut in the way that doesn't allow bra (or panties) to be worn underneath, and if I really really want to wear them, I will bother myself to mess with hud, layers, alpha cuts and all that.

There is some pretty mesh underwear in my inventory. For pictures, mostly, and because "ooo, pretty!" But damn, I need to find me some places where I can just strut and hang out in all those frills. x) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

I laughed.

Ok. (Oh wait, I recently read where "ok" is gauche.) Okay, on to the serious question. I rarely wear underwear. If I'm running around exploring while wearing a dress I just use the mesh body HUD and hide all of my parts. Take that, you up skirt camming pervs! If I think I'll have an audience later when I may be undressing, I'll wear lingerie. At least I think I do. The last time that happened was a long while ago. Ah, geez, now I have to go into my inventory to find if I have mesh compatible underwear besides what came with the Maitreya body. Ever the optimist. 

Good, it was meant to be funny!

But it lead to a kind of profound thought: I'm thinking it's kind of generational. Like in real life, before my mother passed, we had a funny argument about wearing pantyhose with a dress. We were going to a funeral (Not hers!) She was a middle aged, joual woman (that's a working class French-Canadian), with all of those pecularities. But she was all...you have to wear pantyhose with a dress. I'm all, you don't have to wear hose anymore, its perfectly fine if you don't. She's all, yes you do, people will think you're a ***** and I'm all no they won't, it's fine. Needless to say, I ended up getting her a fresh pair of panty hose and I went without the hose.

Every once in a while, I might wear an applier bra or panties with something mesh. But for the most part, I don't wear them in SL unless it will really set off or add something to the outfit. In the event, I have to alpha something for the clothes...well now I'm wearing half a bra or something. Usually though, I don't feel like it would add to the outfit because it's just not noticable and I would really rather not spend another half hour spending time finding matching intimates for my outfit, which I would if I let myself. So I just go with out them. I have tonnes of lingerie, but I usually wear it as lingerie. 

I don't know, I just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

Umm, not so sure about it being generational. I am in my twenties and neither shy, nor prude. For me feeling uncomfortable without underwear mostly comes with places I am visiting. If it is G-rated area or, especially, family/child-rp oriented place I feel at peace knowing I did that little bit I could to not cause even minor disruption to other visitors experience. In A- or even most of M-rated regions I couldn't care less, but with my SL friends list I might jump from one to the other at any moment, so better keep those undies on.

And you don't want to hear what SL kids have to say if they spot any sort of wardrobe malfunction. x)

Edited by marinathewitch
  • Like 4

I never used to wear underwear unless I wanted to show it off. I have a kink, in that I'm an exhibitionist and being publicly exposed turns me on. But since I got involved exclusively with one man, I started wearing panties under skirts and dresses now. It's just a matter of respect to him, in that I'm not displaying my bits to anyone but him.   I usually use appliers for the panties so they don't mess with the mesh.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, marinathewitch said:

Umm, not so sure about it being generational. I am in my twenties and neither shy, nor prude. For me feeling uncomfortable without underwear mostly comes with places I am visiting. If it is G-rated area or, especially, family/child-rp oriented place I feel at peace knowing I did that little bit I could to not cause even minor disruption to other visitors experience. In A- or even most of M-rated regions I couldn't care less, but with my SL friends list I might jump from one to the other at any moment, so better keep those undies on.

And you don't want to hear what SL kids have to say if they spot any sort of wardrobe malfunction. x)

I get where you're coming from. I've just never had anyone say to me, "Ooooooh! You're not wearing any underwear!"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've no need for underwear, or overwear for that matter...

...except for my Ladybug slippers.

"She's just so totally blllack!  Light just seems to fall into her"  (Paraphrased quotation from Ford Prefect, "The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy")

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bra, sometimes. Panties, yes, if I'm wearing a dress or skirt. I've found a couple different mesh panties that work with quite a few of them and seem often to rez before any other mesh clothes, which is fortuitous. Otherwise it'll be appliers. I think underwear is one thing for which appliers are fairly well suited, as long as the textures are well made.

Back in ye olden days of mesh underwear 🙄 *cough cough The trick was to buy only FITTED mesh. Not fitmesh, sized mesh or any other form of "close enough is good enough" mesh.. >FITTED< mesh. Fitted mesh combined with anything less than will always give you problems.
Remember that fitted mesh came out first, very quickly followed by umpteen variations on proper fitted mesh.
It was a tall order for those not yet experienced in LL avi attachment points and precision 3d rigging, hence = close enough was good enough. Apparently.

Now BOM means ANYONE can make their own lovely textured lingerie very easily and obtain the most perfect results that have ever been possible.
With the added advantage of adding fitted mesh items as well.

BOM is here, BOM is now & BOM rules! allowing flexibility like never before. Thank you LL ❤️

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Fitmesh wedgie :p
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.