Wearing underwear

Janet Voxel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Don't use mesh unless the outfit comes with it i do use applier knickers minimum for those times when i don't log in to my home location and my outfit decided it didn't want to stay worn. Even though it wasn't as necessary in the system days i still wore undies just in case i was maybe in a PG sim changing outfits

6 hours ago, janetosilio said:

So, the other day I’m at home and a noob comes crashing into my house. She was of the talking kind, so she told me she was new, about a week old, still rocking her Free Dove tag.

I wasn’t doing anything else, so I decided to help her out for a little while. She was wearing some off brand mesh body and had no hair base. Long story short....I helped her get a couple of freebie hairs and a couple of freebie clothes. Not sure if they’ll fit the off brand body....but anyway. After about an hour and a half to two ours later, she looked a little less ridiculous than when she barged up in my house.

Anyway, towards the end of my time with her as she was happily trying on all of her free dove loot. She said something interesting, something I’d never thought of in 10 years of being on here.

She said, “None of these clothes fit over my underwear.” Sure enough, none of the mismatched badly textured freebies she was trying on fit over her freebie body’s bra and panties.

Now the first thing, I’m thinking is “why are you wearing underwear in the first place?” I thought better of that, and tried to explain that with different mesh and different creators, there’s no guarantee that any given mesh will fit over another mesh. Then I jokingly told her it’s SL, you don’t really have to worry about wearing underwear under your mesh clothes. She was having none of that, and started getting obsessive about finding something that would fit over her bra and panties.

I made my exit here....

So my question is. Is wearing underwear that important to you? Do you have to wear underwear when you’re getting dressed?

Personally, I did not even own underwear until recently. I got two sets for a potential photo shoot, then the shoot never happened. I do have outfits where there is a panty-like part to the outfit that needs to be worn as the skirt or dress does not cover things, if that counts, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, janetosilio said:

Good, it was meant to be funny!

But it lead to a kind of profound thought: I'm thinking it's kind of generational. Like in real life, before my mother passed, we had a funny argument about wearing pantyhose with a dress. We were going to a funeral (Not hers!) She was a middle aged, joual woman (that's a working class French-Canadian), with all of those pecularities. But she was all...you have to wear pantyhose with a dress. I'm all, you don't have to wear hose anymore, its perfectly fine if you don't. She's all, yes you do, people will think you're a ***** and I'm all no they won't, it's fine. Needless to say, I ended up getting her a fresh pair of panty hose and I went without the hose.

Every once in a while, I might wear an applier bra or panties with something mesh. But for the most part, I don't wear them in SL unless it will really set off or add something to the outfit. In the event, I have to alpha something for the clothes...well now I'm wearing half a bra or something. Usually though, I don't feel like it would add to the outfit because it's just not noticable and I would really rather not spend another half hour spending time finding matching intimates for my outfit, which I would if I let myself. So I just go with out them. I have tonnes of lingerie, but I usually wear it as lingerie. 

I don't know, I just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

I am from the rural US South, and I still wear hose to funerals there. I usually have to buy some, though, because that is the only place I wear them (tights I wear all the time, with short skirts...including tomorrow, now that it is going to be above 20 degrees F, heat wave, woohoo!).

• Like 1

Yes, I always wear underwear every SL day and every SL night.  Even if I alpha out the body part I still cover up.  I only use tattoo layers and appliers though.  Now bras are a different thing.  If they don't show, I'll wear it, but many women's tops are just too revealing to bother. 

So, I'll wear a bra if it doesn't show. Huh?  Oh, well.  We all have our 'things'

I need to try out BOM.  I'm pretty sure it was made just for me.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
spelling
  • Like 2

This was something I never, ever thought about until I started wearing skirts. I would be either fully clothed, in which case no underwear, or fully naked, in which case also no underwear. Or I'd be on some beach somewhere, wearing nothing but a thong, in which case the underwear wasn't actually under anything.

Now, I will wear something with a skirt, almost always. If it's a short skirt, and if at all possible/appropriate, I wear mesh panties with a "bulge".  But if the bulge clips, or if I'm going somewhere "PG" I wear something on the system layer. If the skirt is long, for example a formal gown, I've likely alpha'd out my pelvis and upper legs anyway. Occasionally, if I go visiting an adult place that's clothing-optional, I go "commando", and choose the skirt very carefully.

I never wear a bra though. It looks daft without boobs.

• Like 2

The two C strings I use, which work with most mesh dresses and skirts are the Trinite - Cover my kitty, and Baii Maii Cover me up.  But even these sometimes show through pants, so I never bother when wearing pants. 

Sometimes I use applier underwear but rarely. I do like applier pantyhose (tights), and stockings though.

14 hours ago, janetosilio said:

I get where you're coming from. I've just never had anyone say to me, "Ooooooh! You're not wearing any underwear!"

It happens. Or maybe it is my luck to run into mischievous characters. It is all good fun though, used to include a lot of me blushing, laughing and quickly fixing my outfit, while kids exercise in wit and humor. Sometimes a comment like this might come from adult avatar either just kindly letting me know about the need to fix alphas and stuff, or just being thirsty. Latter one is boring most of the time. 

Edited by marinathewitch
typo

I usually wear applier underwear unless the dress/skirt I’m wearing has attached panties. I did get a comment on one occasion when I forgot to reapply, so I always try to remember now. I have NO SEX written on my profile, and don’t want to confuse the dumb dumbs with my exposed hoohaa. I’m definitely not playing hard to get. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BelindaN said:

The two C strings I use, which work with most mesh dresses and skirts are the Trinite - Cover my kitty, and Baii Maii Cover me up.  But even these sometimes show through pants, so I never bother when wearing pants. 

Sometimes I use applier underwear but rarely. I do like applier pantyhose (tights), and stockings though.

This for me also. I so hate appliers for anything and I don't like clicking through alpha cuts on mesh body HUD (I rarely wear the body HUD at all) - which is why the auto-alpha systems the bodies have is useful, though I will not buy mesh anything that has excessive clipping (poke-through of the body through the clothing).

I *always* wear pelvic undies and always mesh (There are a few that are such an excellent fit under almost *all* tight-fitting mesh skirts, etc.) unless tights or pants, etc., and it's also a reason I love Blueberry and some others that include the underwear built into their stuff. I also never alpha-cut my undersides because alpha-cutting just... feels... weird to me (would you do that to yourself in RL? LOL)

Yes, I know there are ways others can see through that stuff (loose-fitting) or derender it, etc., but it's SL and it's all cartoon pixels, so whatever. Perves are as pervs do; so be it, and it's the only reason I'm particular about how my girl-bits actually look (as in: not looking like sloppy after-action state, which 90% of all skins and mesh bits look like to me). ~snorts~

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

I love wearing stockings, found a lot of good mesh stockings and getting quite collection!.  I so rarely wear applier clothing these days; I guess main reason why not bothered about BoM as got plenty of nice things in mesh! :D 

I guess I'm weirdly obsessive about wearing underwear in SL, at least with a skirt.  With pants I don't bother, unless I remember and care to put on an applier set... but with skirts, yup, and usually mesh.

Of course, it derenders on TP and I'm standing there naked as a jaybird for a few, but that's SL.  I've given up hope of keeping myself fully clothed at all times.

Semper ubi sub ubi?

By default, I'm almost always wearing at least applier panties. I also have sets of applier tees and camisoles for wearing under dresses and tops that I find uncomfortably revealing (which is not to say that I always find a plunge neckline uncomfortably revealing).

That said, I often end up alphaing out my groin, if not my entire pelvis, in part because (for some unknown reason presumably having to do with how I've adjust my shape) my crotch frequently ends up sticking out of my skirt, dress, or pants. NOT a pretty look. So, in some ways the panties are supernumerary to purpose anyway.

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

I only wear underwear if its going to show. If not, there is absolutly no benefit of making an effort to do so.

That’s exactly how I feel.

Also, maybe it’s my graphics card, but I haven’t seen anyone appear before their clothes in years. Usually, I see a bunch of body parts floating around then bam, fully dressed (or not) avatar.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

That’s exactly how I feel.

Also, maybe it’s my graphics card, but I haven’t seen anyone appear before their clothes in years. Usually, I see a bunch of body parts floating around then bam, fully dressed (or not) avatar.

I think that was more a thing when people were wearing mesh clothes on non-mesh bodies. Not so many people do that nowadays. Even my stick-in-the-mud bf, who once swore to me that he would NEVER get a mesh body, went and bought one as soon as Bakes on Mesh came out. 😁

I just lost my underwear, I don't care, I'll go bare
Bye bye long johns.
They were very close to me, tickled me hee, hee, hee
Bye bye long johns.

How I miss that old trap door behind me.
If you see them, you'll know where to find me.
I just lost my underwear, I'll go bare, I don't care.
Long johns, bye bye.

Hilda-Long-Johns.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.