DST ending: a complicated week

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"SLT", the standard time for the game, is that of the Pacific Time Zone in the USA. Which makes sense. That's where Linden Lab is. And we all get used to the clock differences.

Europe and the USA change to and from DST on different weekends, and the European change comes in a few hours. The USA change is next weekend.

Last week, SLT Midnight was at 8am in London.

This week, Sunday morning, SLT Midnight will be at 7am in London

A week later, 2am SLT, the difference will revert to 8 hours.

In Europe, we change clocks at the same time, 2am in London, 3am in Berlin, so no confusing problems. The sources I checked with suggest the  US change happens at 2am in your timezone, different time in New York and Chicago. My poor little head hurts

Hopefully, you will be safely asleep when your local clocks change. But that change will be a complication. You think you know when 1PM SLT is on an event calendar, and it isn't. And then it changes again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My SL partner is five hours behind me, SL is eight hours behind me, and people I know in Europe are one hour ahead of me. I'm quite accustomed to thinking in different timezones (having an analogue clock by the computer helps), and I usually warn my partner when UK clocks are about to change (I've literally just told him this in Discord a few minutes ago, before I even saw this thread, since mine will go back tonight and his will be next weekend) and I pre-calculate the extended/shortened time difference and its duration so we're both aware of it.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2019 at 12:12 PM, Rolig Loon said:

And some places in the USA where the clock never changes. 

Arizona (except for the Navajo Nation portion of the state), Hawaii, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Speaking from experience, it is strange to have Tucson, Phoenix and Flagstaff in the same "timezone" as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle and SL Time, seven months of the year.

Even stranger is having a friend in Idaho, normally in the same MST as Arizona, being an hour ahead.

Upside: "Spring forward and fall back" doesn't require readjusting the clocks.

I use a number of digital calendars, both online and local. A habit I got into while living and working in the midwest, potentially dealing with folks in any US timezone, was that the first thing I did with a new calendar app was always configure it so it didn't automatically assume that the times for any entry I was creating or editing were in the local timezone, always required me to explicitly specify it. Now back in the UK and (for all but a couple of weeks of the year) 8 hours ahead of SLT the habit is still useful. I always enter the times for SL events in SLT, set to use LA time.

That way, whatever timezone I happen to be in at the time, when I check the summary page or look at the phone app the event appears in the right place for my local time.

Question:

SLT?  I understand is meant to be Second Life Time.  Where is that used?  Second Life Viewer displays PST or PDT.  Do other viewers change that and display SLT?

image.png.62004a2ee66d726a630755d16d640269.png

I see SLT in local chat, forum posts and the user entered subject and body for group notices.  I do not see it in the Second Life event calendar or Second Life Viewer.

Is this another one of those "every body knows" or is there some historical use of "SLT" by Linden Lab that I missed out on?  😉

Also, does ANYBODY really like both events brought on by Daylight Savings Time?  Seems some people like the "fall back" event but I never hear anybody cheering the "spring forward" event.

Edited by Ardy Lay
Original phrasing seemed confrontational.

3 hours ago, lavalois said:

As far as I know, they don't. It's just a term that grew over the years.

That's right.  "SLT" is "the time shown by your viewer"...which is the time at LL HQ, San Francisco CA.  That is, PST or PDT, depending on the time of year.

I think life would be simpler if everyone just used GMT.  Excuse me, "UTC".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Question:

SLT?  I understand is meant to be Second Life Time.  Where is that used?  Second Life Viewer displays PST or PDT.  Do other viewers change that and display SLT?

image.png.62004a2ee66d726a630755d16d640269.png

I see SLT in local chat, forum posts and the user entered subject and body for group notices.  I do not see it in the Second Life event calendar or Second Life Viewer.

Is this another one of those "every body knows" or is there some historical use of "SLT" by Linden Lab that I missed out on?  😉

Also, does ANYBODY really like both events brought on by Daylight Savings Time?  Seems some people like the "fall back" event but I never hear anybody cheering the "spring forward" event.

It used to be the official abbreviation used by LL themselves but after they got tired of people asking "what's SLT mean?" they officially dropped its use and changed the viewers clock to read PDT. Those of us who joined when the term was still in common use, are used to calling it SLT.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I think life would be simpler if everyone just used GMT.  Excuse me, "UTC".

I would never know what time it was if that ever happens. Even after all these decades I still have trouble translating what to me is normal time into maritime. There's no way I could ever make that drastic an adjustment. I rather doubt I'm alone in that.

No, no...EVERYONE, even you, would know what time it was.  The only unsettling thing would be getting used to what time of day corresponded to the clock time...that would, of course, vary with your location on the planet.  For example, I'm on the east coast of the United States.  For me, that would mean I'd get up at about 1200 every day, have lunch at 1700, dinner at 2300, and go to bed at 0500.

Easy peasy.

i looked up some history for NZ daylight saving time

not sure if it still applies in Ararua today but back in the day circa 1974, on the announcement that NZ would introduce daylight saving

nov-03-1974-daylight-saving.jpg.33d3a20178205316c80e8d827cc98f96.jpg

i think in Ararua they maybe might have taken a voice vote, eligible to all affected, and the milking cows won the vote with a resounding moooo!

Right behind nuking from orbit with extra nukes to make sure it stays down. Now if we do away with all that AM/PM nonsense too and move  to the 24 hour clock (AKA 'grownup time'..). Found out about that when I was around 7 and never saw the point of anything else. Time zones are easy enough and lived/worked in enough to not see a problem. Oh and yes still refer to it as SLT.

Actually, we should move to UNIX time mostly because it would knock off (never you mind how many) years off me. ( DOB  -158323500 =^^= )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.