If you have more than one home ..

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If you have more than one Linden Home, please consider letting the excess go so others can join the party.

Community depends on people, not an endless expanse of beautifully decorated empty homes.

Growth is and always will be fleeting, and we all, selfishly, need this to boost as high as possible.

The more people we can trick into joining us pack in now will impact the longevity and quality of the community that remains afterwards.

Use your slack teir on mainland, pick up some cheap junk land and make it pretty.

gxRojnG.gif

(I do have a Linden Home already, this is not a whine about not being able to obtain one)

Edited by CoffeeDujour
  • Like 30
  • Haha 1

I'd love to be able to join the new community--almost more than the pleasure of having a nice home.  I almost got one last night.  But I understand the lure of having as many as you can get, I sympathize with the multi-alted people who snap up three.  The logic "I pay for premium for each of my alts so I deserve as many as I can get" doesn't really hold because in reality, It is only one person behind the alts.  Still, I can see why they feel this way.    Maybe after awhile they'll settle on one home.

I've been in SL off & on for many years, lived in the old Linden houses & liked them, held rented land & mostly loved it.  But never had any sense of community, just lovely, vast emptyness.  When I do get one, I'll give all my girls access to it--because they're all really me, 😋, just different parts.

In the meantime, I'll wait--almost patiently

• Like 11
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, s2Pandora said:

I believe Abnor once asked people to do this as well.. people either ignored it or just didn't want to.

I'd like this as well, though(I also now have one).

At least twice. He called it "nice". Clearly some residents are nicer than others.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

/me nods, nods.

I am fortunate I have a houseboat I got by accident after the first batch was released. I actively sat this batch out  (wait, actively sitting out, is that an oxymoron?) - for the very reason Coffee and Abnor Mole explain.

But when they release updated versions of the Tahoe-type theme up in the mountains surrounded by woods and stuffs, all bets are off, I hafta admit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I did that with my alt,  and got an older Linden home, plus I purchased some waterfront property cheaply :)  

Snapshot_468.thumb.png.0902cc99cf1dd22b4eec7e249b262b66.png

I have a multi rezzer setup on it, it may only be 512 but I have made a few homes so far, including one with my houseboat.

Snapshot_476.thumb.png.91950a7b86502b2d0f1bf7d59060be08.png

I've seen a few houseboats that are meant for homes on the marketplace and have considered adding one of those to my multi rez box.  I also created a home in the sky.  I love having three properties now, I have a home in three different continents 😍  But, I really don't blame others for keeping two homes, I did this mostly because I saw an opportunity to own more properties, and I do a lot of multi rez stuff so one house has multiple possibilities.  Plus, they are paying for it, so it is not like they are doing anything wrong.  I was really tempted a couple of days before the squished pickle was opened, I even abandoned my Tahoe home, then after consideration I thought of an alternative, and decided to get an older Linden home again,  when I got a new one though, I was given back into my old one 🤣

One thing I have noticed, is that the property was a lot less expensive than I would have expected, I always see prices that are outrageous, this one was only 1400.  I wonder if Bellerisa  has anything to do with the lower price I got, I hope so because a lot of them sell for way too much.  With that said, I did have to derender a couple of houses to get my view.  The property at the top right, just connected to mine is for sale and I'm really tempted to buy it, but am holding off.. property ownership seems to be addictive 😁

Edited by WillowTenage
  • Like 8

@Marianne Little Not too sure they miscalculated demand since surely that would indicate that they actually had a way of telling how popular the houseboats especially would be. It's been said in other threads recently that if Lindens had waited longer, created a lot more houses & houseboats, then dumped the whole lot on the Grid they'd have had real problems sorting out the problems that there are bound to be with any new product. And what if, for some weird reason, the house and houseboats hadn't turned out to be as popular as they are? A huge, partially finished continent with lots of empty houses and houseboats would have surely caused an awful lot more complaints. I have several alts who all share my one houseboat which I luckily got in the first release but I have no desire for any of them to go premium and grab more houses/houseboats, certainly not while demand is so high. I think they've done it right, giving us a preview at the Homes & Gardens event a couple of months ago then releasing a large but managable number of new homes & houseboats to see what the demand was. Clearly, they were caught out by how high the demand was at the first release, then worked very hard to bring out more houseboats as they were clearly the most popular, and are now working on another small launch before another BIG release possibly around the time SLB 16. And of course it's going to take time to get more houses & houseboats out because one of the really big factors in the amazing popularity of Bellesseria is surely the indivuality of each region and building that individuality takes time and effort. There, that's finished my little vent. Off to wander round the Pickle.

Edited by BobbieEarhart
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Sorry, but both mine are fully decorated and in daily use, and I plan to keep them. I showed restraint by not having all my alts get houses. ;) 

I can just repeat that! Same referrs to me. I had three houses, abandoned two of them and now got one houseboat instead.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Sorry, but both mine are fully decorated and in daily use, and I plan to keep them. I showed restraint by not having all my alts get houses. ;) 

Why thank you goddess Sylvia, it must have taken quite restraint on your part.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I can understand all sides of the discussion here! I can definitely understand how with the scarcity of homes currently, those without would hope that others would give up their "spares". But I can also understand how those who are paying for multiple premium accounts and worked hard to get homes for their alts would feel entitled to keep them. I don't think any one point of view is more right than any other. But I certainly look forward to a time when all houses are available in abundance and anyone can have as many as they like!

For me personally, it came down to a strong desire to be heavily involved in the community, and therefore wanting to have a home location that best lends itself to community involvement. Originally I thought that meant I wanted to be near a community destination. The scarcity and RNG nature of the new linden homes drove me into a bit of a choice paralysis: home A1 not near anything, reroll and get home A2. A2 is okay but not ideal; afraid to let it go, I instead roll an alt and get B1! B1 is also okay but not ideal, roll B2... and onwards for a while. My account and my alt's, between the two, went through seven houses after the initial batch of homes were sold out, just picking up what others had abandoned via rerolls. I suspect others may have also picked up multiple homes due to a similar choice paralysis and may eventually find that they don't have as much emotional connection to one home as the other, and therefore release it back into the pool.

I did eventually wind up releasing my alt's house - which was the one I originally liked better! My main's home is utterly landlocked, with endless rows of other houses in every direction, and was not at all what I originally wanted. But I found that the extra homes also meant extra traffic, and the unexpected bits of community interaction I've had in that house have led me to develop a greater emotional attachment to that location :)

(The houseboat I posted for public visitation, "The Drowned Mouse", is actually not "mine". It belongs to my irl boyfriend's account, who only wanted a place to set as his home location and change outfits, and gave me full permission to decorate it  however I wanted. And what I want is fun community interaction - so I made it a fun community destination!)

Edited by Teager
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just noting that there are still many houses (I never checked houseboats so have no clue) that are empty with no skybox over them and no prims used and NO TRAFFIC (at least daily) after a month. 

Personally I would rather see folks with active alts USE the areas than just have them sit empty.  

I have one plot. Should I be able to score another house  I will be making it into a community place for all the folks that DON'T have a spot and want something to hang out in that is more homey than a park :D.   We have a few of those, but my grand tour of all the regions a couple of weeks ago makes it obvious that we could use more.  If I get to do that I will NOT feel greedy or ashamed. 

One of the BIG points the Lindens made, Ebbe the most was that the new continent was in large part to get folks to WANT to be Premium and to switch The Lab's income from land based to fee based. That has certainly worked. Whether it is alts or new folks signing up, it is still working  --- and THAT is good for all of us and for SL's longevity.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just noting that there are still many houses (I never checked houseboats so have no clue) that are empty with no skybox over them and no prims used and NO TRAFFIC (at least daily) after a month. 

Personally I would rather see folks with active alts USE the areas than just have them sit empty.  

I have one plot. Should I be able to score another house  I will be making it into a community place for all the folks that DON'T have a spot and want something to hang out in that is more homey than a park :D.   We have a few of those, but my grand tour of all the regions a couple of weeks ago makes it obvious that we could use more.  If I get to do that I will NOT feel greedy or ashamed. 

One of the BIG points the Lindens made, Ebbe the most was that the new continent was in large part to get folks to WANT to be Premium and to switch The Lab's income from land based to fee based. That has certainly worked. Whether it is alts or new folks signing up, it is still working  --- and THAT is good for all of us and for SL's longevity.  

I pay for one membership so I am only allowed one boat? I had not heard of "Alts" being able to get a home also? How are people getting two? I have alts but never considered getting another. Right now the new region of houseboats is soooo laggy I can not even decorate. Waiting for the excitement to go down a bit so I can at least use the one I have. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scarlet Vavoom said:

I pay for one membership so I am only allowed one boat? I had not heard of "Alts" being able to get a home also? How are people getting two? I have alts but never considered getting another. Right now the new region of houseboats is soooo laggy I can not even decorate. Waiting for the excitement to go down a bit so I can at least use the one I have. 

Alts can get a home IF they are also Premium accounts. Any paid Premium account is eligible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scarlet Vavoom said:

Every premium member has a CHANCE of getting a plot on Bellisseria. You simply pay to have your alt (or alts) Premium and then you can get another (or a better and give up the first) plot. This worked MUCH better on the first round of releases though. Not all that practical at the moment unless you love sitting in front of the computer and hitting the refresh button to watch for a possible discarded plot. 

• Like 3

I had put my two alts back in premium status leading up to the first release of new homes, and did get both of them a home through refreshing after the first release.  Afterwards, I realized now that they were premium at the annual rate, it was better for me to have them abandon their homes and apply their tier to my 2048 sqm mainland parcel.  I also abandoned my own home when abandoning theirs, but I did luck out getting a houseboat yesterday for myself, which I plan on keeping. So, between 3 premium accounts I have 1 new houseboat, and free tier for my mainland parcel (and more lindens to spend each week).

• Like 5

• Moles

There was no passive aggressiveness in my previous statement. It is not greedy to have two or more premium alts each with a new Linden Home. If it makes you feel better, replace "it would be nice" with "it would be an act of generosity far above and beyond what is expected". That is all I meant when I asked people to simply entertain the thought of abandoning one as an act of kindness and generosity to their fellow residents.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

4 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

If it makes you feel better, replace "it would be nice" with "it would be an act of generosity far above and beyond what is expected".

Hανє уσυ нυggє∂ α Mσℓє тσ∂αу?  HUGS Abnor Mole (while hoping you're not a hungry T-Rex today) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I was lucky enough to get a house boat in yesterdays release and to be completely honest will probably not be using it much for a while, so i am offering it as a place for anyone who didn't get one to use and enjoy the new community:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Slippery Wharf/79/149/27

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.