Remove Gacha from the Marketplace

bbkeh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I love to shop, but I hate scrolling through the endless pages of Gacha items

there should be a separate MP for this as its gotten ridiculous

If you agree please reply

hopefully we can inspire a change

Edited by bbkeh
  • Haha 1

Whilst the new gacha category might help - people are going to continue slapping up their gachas all over the place. What you can do is avoid them in one of two ways (or both, if you're feeling extra anti).

• Specify your search to only includes items that you may copy (gachas are no-copy, but may still occur as re-sellers just toss 'em up without paying much attention to what they fill in the form - and, you'll miss out on other things that are listed as no-copy, even if they technically are).
  • Specify your search by searching thusly: "Dress AND Flowers AND Floral NOT Gacha". (Again, not -all- gacha items are tagged properly, and some may slip through, but it becomes a lot more manageable).
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bbkeh said:

I love to shop, but I hate scrolling through the endless pages of Gacha items

there should be a separate MP for this as its gotten ridiculous

If you agree please reply

hopefully we can inspire a change

Try checking the copy filter and then click the Refine Search button. That will eliminate most, if not all, gachas. Checking copy and mod will eliminate all of them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

, re-sellers should be using this category since it's there but many still decide to continue littering other areas of the marketplace with gacha 

no this isn't right, it's said by Dakota, sellers CAN use this category... but it's totally allowed to put tables in tables, houses in houses... a.s.o ( also allowed to read this in the dutch way..)
typical Linden way to solve something that was asked... we do it half and leave it there.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

no this isn't right, it's said by Dakota, sellers CAN use this category... but it's totally allowed to put tables in tables, houses in houses... a.s.o ( also allowed to read this in the dutch way..)
typical Linden way to solve something that was asked... we do it half and leave it there.

Typical way for Linden Lab to consider all viewpoints and try to meet in the middle. I didn't get what I wanted and nor did you .. but we each got a little bit of what we wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

means nobody got something and its still a big mess.

No, it means LL compromised so that everyone got a little something out of it rather than a few getting everything they wanted while the majority didn't get anything. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Lucia Nightfire said:

We need an "Exclude Limited Quantities Listings" filter that is off by default.

We asked for that and Dakota said "Why do you want to punish Gatcha resellers!" (she really did use the word punish)

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

Yes, I remember @Dakota Lindensaying that too. I am in a hurry, or else I could have found the thread.

If you will sell a Gacha table on the MP, it is correct to place it under either used items or Furniture. Neither is misplacing. That it is Gacha does not stop it from being a table.

Or something along the lines.

It is so many different things that should have been done with the MP and so many different ways a search can go wrong, so gacha isn't the root to all evil.

But I am biased, since I buy gacha from resellers, I am fine with it. If it was something I hated, I would want it removed too.

• Moderators

Greetings All!

Please remember that I am Customer Support, not a developer, so my replies are from "what currently exists and how do we use it" point of view. :)

Having said that, the Marketplace Listing Guidelines specifically say that an item should be placed into "Most Appropriate" category on the Marketplace. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines#category-guidelines

Some items CAN be in more than 1 category, but the seller should always choose the "most appropriate" one at all times. 

A Hat is still a hat even if it is a Gacha item. Neither category is "most appropriate". They are equally appropriate. 

Therefore, it is up to the seller to decide which category, Gachas or Hats, that they would like to place their Hat into and if the seller chooses to place the item into the Hat category, it is not wrong, and will not be unlisted. 

If the seller put the Hat into the main Avatar Accessories category, and not into the Hats sub-category, then yes, the listing would be in the wrong category and would be subject to being unlisted if reported. 

Again, refer to the Listing Guidelines, linked above. 

The Used Items, while technically okay, really shouldn't be used to list Gacha items anymore, since there is a dedicated Gacha category, however, since the seller of the item isn't the original creator, Used Items is okay and a Gacha item in the Used Items category would not be unlisted just because it is a Gacha item. 

Any product listings, Gacha or otherwise, in the main Home & Garden - Furniture category is in the wrong category.  Items should always be placed into the most appropriate sub-category, as stated in the Marketplace Listing Guidelines, linked above, and any item in the main Furniture category will be unlisted if it is reported. 

Cheers~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Yes, I remember @Dakota Lindensaying that too. I am in a hurry, or else I could have found the thread.

If you will sell a Gacha table on the MP, it is correct to place it under either used items or Furniture. Neither is misplacing. That it is Gacha does not stop it from being a table.

Or something along the lines.

This is why the whole system of sorting items in the MP is flawed. It should be done with tags instead of categories. Then you could classify it as a table AND as a Gacha item, and then you'd be able to filter in/out for both categories.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dakota Linden said:

Greetings All!

Please remember that I am Customer Support, not a developer, so my replies are from "what currently exists and how do we use it" point of view. :)

Having said that, the Marketplace Listing Guidelines specifically say that an item should be placed into "Most Appropriate" category on the Marketplace. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines#category-guidelines

Some items CAN be in more than 1 category, but the seller should always choose the "most appropriate" one at all times. 

A Hat is still a hat even if it is a Gacha item. Neither category is "most appropriate". They are equally appropriate. 

Therefore, it is up to the seller to decide which category, Gachas or Hats, that they would like to place their Hat into and if the seller chooses to place the item into the Hat category, it is not wrong, and will not be unlisted. 

If the seller put the Hat into the main Avatar Accessories category, and not into the Hats sub-category, then yes, the listing would be in the wrong category and would be subject to being unlisted if reported. 

Again, refer to the Listing Guidelines, linked above. 

The Used Items, while technically okay, really shouldn't be used to list Gacha items anymore, since there is a dedicated Gacha category, however, since the seller of the item isn't the original creator, Used Items is okay and a Gacha item in the Used Items category would not be unlisted just because it is a Gacha item. 

Any product listings, Gacha or otherwise, in the main Home & Garden - Furniture category is in the wrong category.  Items should always be placed into the most appropriate sub-category, as stated in the Marketplace Listing Guidelines, linked above, and any item in the main Furniture category will be unlisted if it is reported. 

Cheers~

Then why on earth did you guys even bother to make a Gacha category at all?

I and a lot of others don't give a crap about punishing gacha resellers, we just don't want to see this type of item when we shop. Give us an actual way to filter out gacha items.

And this is coming from a freaking gacha reseller with over 800 listings. Just because I sell them doesn't mean I want to see them when I shop. Let those who want to see them see them, but leave the rest of us alone with it.

You solved absolutely nothing with adding that obsolete category, its only created more confusion and frustrations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

@Dakota Linden I understand your frustration, but please understand the the feature was deployed makes it look like the QA team was on vacation during it's conception and implementation...

Your company wasted money and human resources on a totally need- and useless feature. Worse yet: instead of even taking the time to evaluate what it(the feature) should do and what it actually does your company insists on selling it to us as a great thing...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Syn Anatine said:

Then why on earth did you guys even bother to make a Gacha category at all?

I and a lot of others don't give a crap about punishing gacha resellers, we just don't want to see this type of item when we shop. Give us an actual way to filter out gacha items.

And this is coming from a freaking gacha reseller with over 800 listings. Just because I sell them doesn't mean I want to see them when I shop. Let those who want to see them see them, but leave the rest of us alone with it.

You solved absolutely nothing with adding that obsolete category, its only created more confusion and frustrations.

The Marketplace is overfilled with old, obsolete items that no one has bought in years. It is also a listing for every single color, plus the demo. And the filtering is not good enough. So many times I type in a word and NOT demo, and still get lots of demos.

It is many things that should be done with it. My guess is that adding a "gacha" category was made by one who has no idea about the sheer number of gacha resale, and thought this was an easy fix.

We have them in my company in RL, and I am sure you have them too. Some in the administration that get a great idea, but they have no clue about reality.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

We have them in my company in RL, and I am sure you have them too. Some in the administration that get a great idea, but they have no clue about reality.

Every company has those. What seperates a good company from one gone tomorrow are managers that cull those types wherever they sprout...

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I agree about tags for searches, but my main aim is to put gacha separately

I don't know how it can be good for the economy if you cant be bothered sifting thru pages of gacha to find something

I hate plowing throught he Gatcha dirt on the marketplace so much ....It waste my precious time......Remove it and dump it in some "El Cheapo"" corner seperated from the other things.

I agree with post author. In RL business things like this do damage to the economy (and sales of the Merchants who put a lot of effort into their products and marketing are the victim). And for sure this also counts for the SL economy

I like the gacha's where they are. I mean, if I am looking for a random item, why would I mind if that items is a gacha or not? Some of the best creators put their items in gachas, so why would I want to miss out on those in search?

As long as someone puts a table gacha in the furniture section, that seems to be the right spot for it?

I rather see 10 recent and relevant gacha items pop up on my search, than a 15 year old freebie item that has a super score because it has been free for the past 15 years.

MP in general requires decent searching and trying out different combinations and filters to get trough the endless amounts of junk anyway.

• Like 4

On 4/7/2019 at 2:39 AM, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Sounds more like there is some internal conflicts about what is good for SL.

This is definitely the truth.

I prefer the Gacha items to be in their normal product category -- animal Gachas with animals, clothing Gachas with clothing, etc....  The reason for that is that I will typically drill into a specific category before entering search terms.  Sometimes I want Gacha items returned along with non-Gacha stuff. 

Since there are also times when I don't want to see Gacha items, I personally always thought the best solution was to give me a tick box -- like the permissions tick boxes -- that would allow me to simply enable or disable items of "limited quantity". By having it key off of limited quantity, then LL doesn't have to create a new attribute for all items - like an actual Gacha flag.  

When Gacha items are in a separate category - as some now are - I have to do my searches from the top level of the MP.  We all know how wonderfully well the MP search works......... NOT!!! - so searches from the top of MP will always produce many more false positives to dig through.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.