What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While I'm here...(running around furniture to evade Selene)...

Do you think we could talk Taylor Swift into changing her name to "Generic Blonde Girl"?  I mean, she has SO many looks.  It's got to the point where I see any attractive blonde woman between 20 and 35 and think, "Is that...Taylor Swift?"

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Do you think we could talk Taylor Swift into changing her name to "Generic Blonde Girl"?  I mean, she has SO many looks.  It's got to the point where I see any attractive blonde woman between 20 and 35 and think, "Is that...Taylor Swift?"

I have some bad news...

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, BelliBunBun said:

Women who diminish successful women by calling them “genetic blondes girls.”

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not diminishing anyone, successful or not.  As I said, I wouldn't recognize her if she walked up to me on the street.  That's pretty much "generic," and purely from my own personal perspective.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Omnipresence, the very mark of Goddess. 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Always been fairly meh about Taylor until listening to that video.

Show me anyone else whos natural, (not digitally re-engineered or re-generated), voice, can get that
close to sounding like Enya's incredible harmonies: -> 2:07 - 2:25s and I'll eat my prim hat.

I would be very interested to learn more about her vocal layering process when recording.
Is she the musical director and the major influence in sound engineering?
I don't care much for words, but the singing is amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not diminishing anyone, successful or not.  As I said, I wouldn't recognize her if she walked up to me on the street.  That's pretty much "generic," and purely from my own personal perspective.

I think the issue actually is perspective, she’s quite a talented award-winning musical artist and has been since 2007 with nearly a dozen albums under her belt while just turning 30 this year. Memes and jokes aside, she has won 10 Grammys and has a huge list of other award nominations and wins. That’s hardly anything close to ‘generic’ by anyone’s standards whether you follow or care for popular music or not so I found the statement about her ‘looks’ dismissive and uninformed regardless of the intent. I’m not a Taylor ‘stan’ but she is rather a big deal. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I have some bad news...

Forgot that one.  Maybe she should just be Chameleon Girl.  Er, Person.  (And yes, my original comment was GENERIC, not "genetic".  I don't think it "diminishes" her at all.  More like making her a whole category instead of an individual.)

Of course it doesn't diminish her. She is unquestionably very talented, but it's a fact of showbiz that there is only a very narrow allowance for how women are allowed to look. It's natural that they can be difficult to tell apart when there's almost no real diversity among them and the few outliers are the exceptions that prove the rule. 

I can never recognise Sienna Miller, for some reason. It's like I have selective face blindness. It doesn't matter how many times I see her, I can never ever remember what she looks like. Trying to picture her now and drawing a blank.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

it's a fact of showbiz that there is only a very narrow allowance for how women are allowed to look. It's natural that they can be difficult to tell apart when there's almost no real diversity among them

It seems the ideal for feminine beauty is to look like a baby. Babies have hairless bodies, a bright face that differs from an older face color that tends to fade over time (especially bright lips), big eyes (babies eyes are disproportionately large).
Of course there are other factors that play into this - our culture has a fascination with youth, and with making an extreme contrast between men and women apparent in order to fit male/female stereotypes of beauty.

And then there's this phenomenon for further analysis:

tight skirt.gif

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Of course it doesn't diminish her. She is unquestionably very talented, but it's a fact of showbiz that there is only a very narrow allowance for how women are allowed to look. It's natural that they can be difficult to tell apart when there's almost no real diversity among them and the few outliers are the exceptions that prove the rule. 

I can never recognise Sienna Miller, for some reason. It's like I have selective face blindness. It doesn't matter how many times I see her, I can never ever remember what she looks like. Trying to picture her now and drawing a blank.

Never even heard of Sienna Miller. Never saw Taylor Swift until a few days ago. Didn't know who she was either. I stopped trying to keep up with who is who in all those popularity contests long ago. 

“The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity.” ~Jean-Luc Picard

• Like 5

12 hours ago, BelliBunBun said:

Women who diminish successful women by calling them “genetic blondes girls.”

Nothing like a bit of catty "More-Feminist-Than-Thou" virtue signalling to greet one in the morning.

This:

4 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

People that disingenuously and intentionally take a comment to mean something entirely different to its obvious intent.

and this:

39 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I think the issue actually is perspective, she’s quite a talented award-winning musical artist and has been since 2007 with nearly a dozen albums under her belt while just turning 30 this year. Memes and jokes aside, she has won 10 Grammys and has a huge list of other award nominations and wins. That’s hardly anything close to ‘generic’ by anyone’s standards whether you follow or care for popular music or not so I found the statement about her ‘looks’ dismissive and uninformed regardless of the intent. I’m not a Taylor ‘stan’ but she is rather a big deal. 

Oh, I have no doubt about her talents as a musician.  She's apparently quite good. The original comment was simply about the fact that it's hard to tell her apart from any number of other blonde women. And yes, I'm definitely "uninformed." Thanks to the recent flurry of photos in this thread, I'm more likely to recognize her than I was a week ago, but I wouldn't put money on it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gatogateau said:

cat fight.gif

Reminds me of an Aussie bar fight...."fk you"...."nah fk you!"...."nah fk you!"...."nah fk you back!"....."nah fk you back too!"    😂

40 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

tight skirt.gif

...And there's a woman who has previous, painful experience of steps and high heels!  🤨

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.