What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

...And there's a woman who has previous, painful experience of steps and high heels!  🤨

Further evidence of turning women into babies I'd say. I mean, the woman can hardly walk due to her tight skirt and high heels, kinda like babies aren't mobile.

• Like 1

The issue was with calling a woman a girl.

It doesn’t matter if you wouldn’t recognize her face. Most of you seem to be aware of her enough to know she isn’t a child. I don’t know any of you and wouldn’t recognize your faces, but I know you aren’t children.

Calling her - or any woman - a girl is dismissive.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BelliBunBun said:

The issue was with calling a woman a girl.

Well, then, why didn't you say so? All this time, people have been commenting back and forth about whether she's generically (or "genetically") blonde.  I'd agree with you about the word "girl". Although my grandmother used to call herself and her sisters "girls" all the time I was growing up, I wouldn't normally call any woman over the age of puberty a girl. Of course, others may not feel the same way.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 3

Group hug time! Except for me. I want ear scritches. And, hm, not for you over there on the left because, ew.  Come to think of it, not you in the back, either because honestly you deserve that "We are all now dumber for having listened to it" emoji. :::backs away::: I don't like hugging strangers, so not you either. :::glances about::: OK, you and you look reasonable. :::sidles up to one, kisses her toes & purrs::: 

:::snakes between a few people's ankles, leaning in here and there and then suddenly, *seemingly* out of the blue:::

cat arching back.gif

• Haha 4

This is not directed toward the kitty above, but is a general observation.

Another peeve of mine is people posting here using alt accounts. I never do so, because I would feel hypocritical if I told people they should own their words, then hid behind another name. It makes my head hurt trying to remember who is who when people are using multiple names to post.

I understand sometimes it's done just for fun and general amusement (at least, for the poster doing it), and sometimes it's done to sock puppet/troll, but no matter the reason, it still adds a layer of complication to forum reading for me.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Taylor has songs about "boys". Just sayin'.

It's not quite the same. Although one could use the word "boy" to infantilize a man, the use of "girl" in order to infantilize and characterize a woman as 'less than' has been pervasive and persistent throughout the centuries. Given this fact, best not to use 'girl' to substitute for 'woman'.

"In that way, calling women “girls” (very actively) infantilizes them.

The infantilization of women occurs across realms, especially in American culture.

Advertisements and other forms of media portray women as being childlike and immature. People of all genders are socialized to see women as helpless, irrational, weak, and in need of protection, and legislators feel it’s okay to tell women how to run their lives and what to do with their bodies. We handle women with “kid gloves,” as if their emotions are going to make them incapable of rational behavior in times of stress or conflict. "

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Another peeve of mine is people posting here using alt accounts. I never do so, because I would feel hypocritical if I told people they should own their words, then hid behind another name. It makes my head hurt trying to remember who is who when people are using multiple names to post.

I understand sometimes it's done just for fun and general amusement (at least, for the poster doing it), and sometimes it's done to sock puppet/troll, but no matter the reason, it still adds a layer of complication to forum reading for me.

Lately it has been very confusing in the forum in general. I do not like immediately thinking "is this an alt???" when I read a post, and I usually don't even go there because... I just don't. But in the last month or so... wow. It is just so painfully obvious. I joke about getting the 500 posts (why can't it be rep points???) because even though I'm not trying to hide that this is Seicher's alt, unless you read every fricking post in every fricking thread, you may not know. Like Maddie, I want to put my "outting" in my sigline.  But spot on with the "layer of complication" to the fourm reading. It has absolutely added to the friction and general idiocy of the forum, and that's kinda saying something.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I don’t mind. Every avatar is a limited entity, given more or less of a typist’s persona or overplayed with another one or any combo.  I think it’s a thankless task to try and sort alts. That said, this is my first and oldest SL account but it’s not the one I use most in-world anymore, Fauve logs in only for specific purposes. So which is the alt? They are both my typist’s alts. Every account here is that kind of alt, only showing a portion of ‘themselves’. Some people just compartmentalize  differently. Sock puppets and trolls get the block if/when I catch it. I’m not sure why ‘keeping alts straight’ is such a big deal. Not because I’m tsk-tsk-ing or criticizing, I just don’t get it. Why waste the time? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's not quite the same. Although one could use the word "boy" to infantilize a man, the use of "girl" in order to infantilize and characterize a woman as 'less than' has been pervasive and persistent throughout the centuries. Given this fact, best not to use 'girl' to substitute for 'woman'.

"In that way, calling women “girls” (very actively) infantilizes them.

The infantilization of women occurs across realms, especially in American culture.

Advertisements and other forms of media portray women as being childlike and immature. People of all genders are socialized to see women as helpless, irrational, weak, and in need of protection, and legislators feel it’s okay to tell women how to run their lives and what to do with their bodies. We handle women with “kid gloves,” as if their emotions are going to make them incapable of rational behavior in times of stress or conflict. "

I disagree. This article sounds about right to me (and is the last thing I'm going to say on the topic as I have zero interest in firing up a feminist debate today or any other time): https://nypost.com/2017/04/09/no-the-word-girl-is-not-an-anti-woman/

• Like 2

Just now, Fauve Aeon said:

I don’t mind. Every avatar is a limited entity, given more or less of a typist’s persona or overplayed with another one or any combo.  I think it’s a thankless task to try and sort alts. That said, this is my first and oldest SL account but it’s not the one I use most in-world anymore, Fauve logs in only for specific purposes. So which is the alt? They are both my typist’s alts. Every account here is that kind of alt, only showing a portion of ‘themselves’. Some people just compartmentalize  differently. Sock puppets and trolls get the block if/when I catch it. I’m not sure why ‘keeping alts straight’ is such a big deal. Not because I’m tsk-tsk-ing or criticizing, I just don’t get it. Why waste the time? 

Because it often helps to know the history behind something someone is saying here. If you are reading an alt's post and don't realize the extensive history on the same topic previously posted by another of that person's accounts, it can lead to misinterpretation, etc. That's fine if you like them. I don't. :) 

• Like 1

PS. I do have to say though, that it has been amusing to see those who didn't get the memo about this being Seicher's alt. Seicher has a few, um, shall we say, folks who don't appreciate her wit and charm, and have vowed in public (if not reality) to never read another stinking post that b1tch writes. Ever! Emphatically never ever gonna do it because that b1tch only posts evil slime... and well you get the picture. Posting as Gato (I call her GiGi but that would make things even more complicated), why, lo and behold I got a whole bunch of ♥s from the SR haters for the same kind of wit and charm. So, yeah. It can be fun for the poster, for a while, in a really childish way, which I totally own. :)

Edited by Gatogateau
added a phrase
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Because it often helps to know the history behind something someone is saying here. If you are reading an alt's post and don't realize the extensive history on the same topic previously posted by another of that person's accounts, it can lead to misinterpretation, etc. That's fine if you like them. I don't. :) 

Unless they are being either a sock puppet or a troll, I think that ‘extensive history’ can be as much a burden to clarity as It may be somehow informing and everyone is open to misinterpretation equally every day the sun comes up anew too. By considering all the long ago posts of all the avatars here when the topics are really no more serious or weighty than they are, I can see how it would be head-splitting to keep them all straight but what I’m saying is that it might have a misplaced importance to think one needs to? But if you do, you do. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

PS. I do have to say though, that it has been amusing to see those who didn't get the memo about this being Seicher's alt. Seicher has a few, um, shall we say, folks who don't appreciate her wit and charm, and have vowed in public (if not reality) to never read another stinking post that b1tch writes. Ever! Emphatically never ever gonna do it because that b1tch only posts evil slime... and well you get the picture. Posting as Gato (I call her GiGi but that would make things even more complicated), why, lo and behold I got a whole bunch of ♥s for the same kind of wit and charm. So, yeah. It can be fun for the poster, for a while, in a really childish way, which I totally own. :)

Then there’s the rest of us who don’t give a flying flip-flop who your other account is and we just....

028E067E-72D1-41B8-9C69-D4E5FAD2781E.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fauve Aeon said:

it might have a misplaced importance to think one needs to? But if you do, you do.

If one's modus operandi is ganging up on others with group support, most likely one would feel another persons alt as a kind of group or added support that is ganging up on them.

2 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I mostly agree with this, but since it is "mostly" I don't agree with it in its entirety. When the forum is in its usual, natural state of weirdness, then exactly. Alt hunts always have been and always will be a waste of time and serve no purpose other than to generate unrest. The hunters, often pointing to their forensic typing sleuthing skills, are most often so wrong. And yes, there are those who think "all alts are evil!" and that's just silly. How I read @Sylvia Tamalyn's comment was more in reference to the sock puppet/troll use (and maybe I read her wrong). THAT seems to have been exploding lately, with entire threads appearing to be conversations between alts! With new accounts popping in to cause issues (maybe they ARE truly noobs, who knows?) or old accounts that haven't been active in years and suddenly appear (also possibly quite legit, but?). It is a lot of "context" of things.

I don't think it is necessary to "out" one's alt either. I choose to for a variety of reasons. That's just me, right now.

Edited by Gatogateau
it is afternoon and I haven't had coffee yet! I need coffee!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some pet peeves, big and small:

- People  putting non unisex stuff in the unisex apparel categories. 🤬(Yes i know they can be reported and they are.)

- Clothing labeled unisex but  it actually isn't. 

- Having to sieve through tons of  furry clothing just to get to unisex clothing.

- when an attachment just flop-flops and clip-clops all over the show when you dance.  meaning you have to stealthy remove and replace.

-When you get the perfect picture set-up. the lights are great the pose  is A+ AND THEN YOU CRASH. 😱 Meaning you have to set the camera  position all over again..

- When people use low intelligence/intellectuality as an insult. As someone with learning problems the issue isn't that society is full of idiots, it's that it's full of propganda and  lack of true teaching.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If one's modus operandi is ganging up on others with group support, most likely one would feel another persons alt as a kind of group or added support that is ganging up on them.

Even so, my pffffft point would be reached before my ‘detective work’ got done. 😉

ADE106C7-1A45-4222-9E08-B0B01F527B60.jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Unless they are being either a sock puppet or a troll, I think that ‘extensive history’ can be as much a burden to clarity as It may be somehow informing and everyone is open to misinterpretation equally every day the sun comes up anew too. By considering all the long ago posts of all the avatars here when the topics are really no more serious or weighty than they are, I can see how it would be head-splitting to keep them all straight but what I’m saying is that it might have a misplaced importance to think one needs to? But if you do, you do. 

It's a pet peeve. By definition, it is "something that a particular person finds especially annoying". 

They are not necessarily rational nor do they have to be justified (nor agreed to). :) 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2

Pet peeve: Still hanging at "people". I'd kind of like a new peeve, but history shows there's a lot of The Force in this one.

Pet peeve: Thinking in terms of "war" and "gangs" and epic battles and "winning" and "losing" in the effing forums and posts and Internet in general. Talk about a weird world view. I always view the idea of 'winning the Internet" to be a joke (and refer to it as such), whereas it does appear that there are many people who do think it is a possible, achievable goal and set out to do so. Wut?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

It's a pet peeve. By definition, it is "something that a particular person finds especially annoying". 

They are not necessarily rational nor do they have to be justified (nor agreed to). :) 

Fair enough! Sorry if it seemed like I was poking you too much about it, I was honestly just curious about. I don’t think anyone needs to justify or be agreed with when a peeve is indeed a peeve!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.