What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 hours ago, Dano Seale said:

Ok, I thought I was pretty fluent in 'Americanese' but this "finna" word is proving me wrong!  I admit that I'm over the age of 18 and may not be allowed to understand it but can someone help a fella out here?

Those are Sassy's parents ffs!...."sock puppets"! 🙄

Nope! It just stops you seeing the idio.....person's posts.

Finna has been around for years. My friends and I used to say it back in 5th grade. It may be a location thing, not sure, but I'm on East Coast US. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

I had seen someone talk about calling certain women ‘Karen’ and I see a lot of people getting really upset at it when black women and other women of color of been called derogatory names for decades. 

Obviously lol Women in general have been called derogatory names for decades and still are.

22 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:
1 hour ago, IvyLarae said:

The "OK Boomer" insult never woulda even became a thing if the older generation weren't pretty much ALWAYS saying things like "You/ The younger generation can handle this, the Younger generation expects everything to be handed to them/ want the easy way out of everything, This new generation is too sensitive" to the generation after them. I hear this alot in just my family alone, it was worse for a while on social media. For the generation that demands respect, they make it really hard to do that when they are usually the ones throwing the insults. Its kinda like asking the victim of a bully to respect the bully simply because their older than them, if that makes sense.

You are generalizing again. 

I was using " Older generations" and 'Younger generations" as more of a common grounds term than I was using it as a generalization so I wouldn't have to keep saying " Quite a few but not everyone" every other word. I didn't say ALL people of the generation before mine was like that, I was saying that I've heard several people FROM that generation say and do that, which isn't a generalization, its a fact you can easy prove for yourself with a 5 minute search. The same goes that not everyone in my generation and the one after mine cracks these sort of jokes and meme's, just SOME of us/ the younger ones do and I listed a few of the reasons as to why the  "OK Boomer" meme came to be a thing, again something you could look up for yourself if you want to.

4 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Obviously lol Women in general have been called derogatory names for decades and still are.

I was using " Older generations" and 'Younger generations" as more of a common grounds term than I was using it as a generalization so I wouldn't have to keep saying " Quite a few but not everyone" every other word. I didn't say ALL people of the generation before mine was like that, I was saying that I've heard several people FROM that generation say and do that, which isn't a generalization, its a fact you can easy prove for yourself with a 5 minute search. The same goes that not everyone in my generation and the one after mine cracks these sort of jokes and meme's, just SOME of us/ the younger ones do and I listed a few of the reasons as to why the  "OK Boomer" meme came to be a thing, again something you could look up for yourself if you want to.

if the older generation weren't pretty much ALWAYS saying things

they are usually the ones throwing the insults

Sounds like generalizations to me, and that is MY pet peeve. *shrug*

ETA: And I have no need to do research, thanks, but the condescending suggestion that I do so sounds a bit "Boomer", don't you think? ;) 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 2

People who think that they have to attend every battle. I used to be like that until I valued my health and emotional health more.

Life is too short. Not everyone is our cup of tea and vice versa. It's ok. Devote your precious time to your people, your tribe. 

Sometimes I want to throat punch someone but it's not worth it. Sometimes people will never get your beliefs or views. It's ok. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Sounds like generalizations to me, and that is MY pet peeve. *shrug*

Well how you perceived things doesn't change how I meant it * shrugs*

MY pet peeve is people who get hung up on small things that commonly happen instead of acknowledging the actual points people are trying to make

Its pretty much the same thing as if I said " You do realize that teh actually several ways to fold a square, you just have to take the time to...." and the only response you come back with is " you spelled 'the' wrong"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ClariceRose said:

Sometimes I want to throat punch someone but it's not worth it. Sometimes people will never get your beliefs or views. It's ok. 

What if throat punching someone helps me relieve some of my aggression? would that still be okay??? Asking for a friend 😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Way to dismiss racism as just a 'women's issue's when black women and white women do not get treated the same lol.

4 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

What if throat punching someone helps me relieve some of my aggression? would that still be okay??? Asking for a friend 😂

Visualize a scenario in your mind. Or find an animation for it and search them down.lol

Don't try that in RL, I heard that jail food sucks

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

Way to dismiss racism as just a 'women's issue's when black women and white women do not get treated the same lol.

Way to dismiss other peoples issues as not as important because  you simply think so. I've done a lot of things,  I won't deny that, but I won't do anyone the disrespect of saying whatever situation they are going through should be over looked because someone somewhere has it worse, because that in itself is dismissive and the main reason why people STILL aren't as open to talking about what is bothering them, because that very attitude there

Edited by IvyLarae
fixed stuff and added stuff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ClariceRose said:

Visualize a scenario in your mind. Or find an animation for it and search them down.lol

Don't try that in RL, I heard that jail food sucks

But but but *Bleep* fine! I'll visual *Grumbles*

*sits down in the middle of the floor in a meditating pose, her eyes closed and takes a deep breath* "Alright, visualizing throat punching someone....visualizing getting giddy because I throat punched someone, visualizing hearing sirens in the back ground because someone saw me throat punch someone....Visualizing running my lilly white *ss off because I ain't made for prison" *pauses and peaks and eye open and arched an eyebrow* " Was this visualizing thing supposed to make me feel better? Because it ain't working!"

33 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Well how you perceived things doesn't change how I meant it * shrugs*

MY pet peeve is people who get hung up on small things that commonly happen instead of acknowledging the actual points people are trying to make

Its pretty much the same thing as if I said " You do realize that teh actually several ways to fold a square, you just have to take the time to...." and the only response you come back with is " you spelled 'the' wrong"

I'm pretty sure that "hung up on small things" is the definition of "having a pet peeve". You just brought your own thread full circle. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I'm pretty sure that "hung up on small things" is the definition of "having a pet peeve". You just brought your own thread full circle. 😂

Well sh*t, I have haven't I?

743894172_fppsmalllustrewall_textureproduct750x1000.thumb.jpg.db47a5f9e6a22770116cebf43082358b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, IvyLarae said:

Way to dismiss other peoples issues as not as important because  you simply think so. I've done a lot of things,  I won't deny that, but I won't do anyone the disrespect of saying whatever situation they are going through should be over looked because someone somewhere has it worse, because that in itself is dismissive and the main reason why people STILL aren't as open to talking about what is bothering them, because that very attitude there

Our worlds are vastly different. Of course you won’t get it, lmao.

Edited by Ashlyn Voir

3 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

I bought a cushion recently, had it custom made with someone's face on it, just so I could punch it in the throat if needs be. It really works. Sometimes I just use it to rest my feet on. Best £14.99 I ever spent. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I bought a cushion recently, had it custom made with someone's face on it, just so I could punch it in the throat if needs be. It really works. Sometimes I just use it to rest my feet on. Best £14.99 I ever spent. 

Snorkers Imaginarium sells knitting and crochet patterns for pin cushions of Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove etc.

ETA: Ha, she's got some new stuff since I Iast looked. Might get the Greta Thunberg Christmas tree topper...

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We've kept this thread going for 150+ pages. It's practically a fixture of the community now, and one of my favourite threads to come back to.

If this gets locked because a few overgrown children couldn't resist turning everything they touch into trash, I swear to Christ I will cut you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

We've kept this thread going for 150+ pages. It's practically a fixture of the community now, and one of my favourite threads to come back to.

If this gets locked because a few overgrown children couldn't resist turning everything they touch into trash, I swear to Christ I will cut you.

I'll help D:<

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

ETA: And I have no need to do research, thanks, but the condescending suggestion that I do so sounds a bit "Boomer", don't you think? ;) 

And I was still waiting on the ETA of someone finna explain the apparent new meaning of ETA. 😋 But that particular pet peeve has resolved itself, as my brain caught up. :) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.