What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Mahala Roviana said:

TPing onto a parcel listed for sale and landing under the water, beneath a sea of island prims. Or into a skybox. Or a tree. Or one that's for sale, but only accessible by a group. Recently, I landed in the giant fake land prim under a house. CHECK YOUR LANDING POINTS. *scurries away in her fuzzy slippers, trying to remember where she left her coffee* 

The corollary to this is the same of TPing underwater, under a prim, something—when shopping. People don't remember to change the LPs when they remodel (or move, or...) As much as I like falling a few thousand feet and watching my avatar wave wildly about and then splat, I'm generally not in the mood for that when wanting to spend money. My fave is when a vendor has a "take LM" option at their exhibit at an event (like Collabor8) and THAT LM is wrong!  Huh, apparently I do have peeves. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

the ending of the First Land scheme...

Whoa whoa whoa, back that horse up here a minute. 

So now you can only get a Linden home, you can no longer get just the 512 or 1024, whichever it is now?

*sighs* There goes my last reason to have a premium account. Premium is pretty much pointless for me, now, since what I had planned was to get a bit of land so I'd have somewhere people can see my builds before buying them. LL really should be in the rug business, they're so good at yanking them out from under me.

1 minute ago, Selene Gregoire said:

So now you can only get a Linden home, you can no longer get just the 512 or 1024, whichever it is now?

*sighs* There goes my last reason to have a premium account. Premium is pretty much pointless for me, now, since what I had planned was to get a bit of land so I'd have somewhere people can see my builds before buying them. LL really should be in the rug business, they're so good at yanking them out from under me.

Yes you can. If you opt out of the new homes, you're still allowed a 1024m parcel without monthly fees. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

All my premium tier is used on basic mainland. Linden Homes are not compulsory. What doesn't happen is that you can't ask the website to assign you a random piece of basic mainland. You have to find a bit you like and buy it. The automatic assignment is only for Linden Homes.

17 minutes ago, Mahala Roviana said:

Yes you can. If you opt out of the new homes, you're still allowed a 1024m parcel without monthly fees. 

Thanks. Still, I'm not so sure a 1024 is worth the $100USD per year for premium that being the only reason I would have for getting premium.

8 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

All my premium tier is used on basic mainland. Linden Homes are not compulsory. What doesn't happen is that you can't ask the website to assign you a random piece of basic mainland. You have to find a bit you like and buy it. The automatic assignment is only for Linden Homes.

That's not what I asked. lol I've had mainland before as well as a homestead and rented on estate land so yeah... I know how it works. I just hadn't seen anyone mention First Land in a long time and wondered if it still existed. Mine was in No and between myself and my RL other half we ended up with most of the region. That's when war with Anshe broke out. lol No was at the world's end. Literally. You should have seen how far that dropoff was down to the water. LL goofed somehow and all the sims on that edge... well... it was one loooooong, very high cliff. That was in 2005 or 2006. And Anshe wanted the region. She didn't get it because we sold to another land baron when she wouldn't call her dogs off.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

20 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

The corollary to this is the same of TPing underwater, under a prim, something—when shopping. People don't remember to change the LPs when they remodel (or move, or...) As much as I like falling a few thousand feet and watching my avatar wave wildly about and then splat, I'm generally not in the mood for that when wanting to spend money. My fave is when a vendor has a "take LM" option at their exhibit at an event (like Collabor8) and THAT LM is wrong!  Huh, apparently I do have peeves. :D

YES!  Gotta piggyback this one...

Store owners.  Venue owners.  Scenic Sim owners.  Anyone who has anything you advertise because you want me to visit it...PLEASE UPDATE YOUR LANDMARKS.

If you have pick in your profile or a link in your Marketplace store to your in-world locale, or if you moved... can you please make sure they are correct?  I've landed underwater or inside a wall or inside someone's private home too many times to count.  

Also, can said LM drop me BY THE DOOR so I don't have to wander around like thief trying to find a way in?  I mean, I appreciate pretty landscaping and all but geez louise, do you want my money or not?  Cuz if it's too hard to find your pretty dresses or fancy couches, I'm OUT.  I'm happy to admire your landscaping AFTER I made my purchase.

Related:  If you closed your in-world location, can you save potential customers some time and put that in your profile??

*end rant

Edited by Ellen Cordeaux
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ellen Cordeaux said:

Related:  If you closed your in-world location, can you save potential customers some time and put that in your profile??

*end rant

What, you don't enjoy landing in a BDSM Bloodlines dungeon instead? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

What, you don't enjoy landing in a BDSM Bloodlines dungeon instead? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

I LIVE for those moments. It's why I always have a wooden stake ready on my person when I go shopping.

That, and it can be really useful to get rid of the idiot who is inevitably standing in front of the vendor you want to use.

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I LIVE for those moments. It's why I always have a wooden stake ready on my person when I go shopping.

That, and it can be really useful to get rid of the idiot who is inevitably standing in front of the vendor you want to use.

What I described really happened to me in my early days in SL. I stood there stunned and not knowing what to do, until someone tried to bite me, and that snapped me out of it. lol

• Haha 2

New peeve discovered! I was shopping at an event and one vendor had a picture of a girl. I couldn't tell what was being sold. The store name didn't relate to any kind of product. Was it hair, eyes, skin, makeup, jewelry, poses? Only by hovering my pointer over the picture and reading the text popup was I able to understand what was being sold. Multiple vendors had the same thing. It feels like store owners don't know any rules for printed advertising.

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

New peeve discovered! I was shopping at an event and one vendor had a picture of a girl. I couldn't tell what was being sold. The store name didn't relate to any kind of product. Was it hair, eyes, skin, makeup, jewelry, poses? Only by hovering my pointer over the picture and reading the text popup was I able to understand what was being sold. Multiple vendors had the same thing. It feels like store owners don't know any rules for printed advertising.

Most of the time, when a vendor add like that catches my interest, it turns out, that the actual product being sold is not the part of the picture, that got me interested in the first place.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wooden stakes are fairly unwieldy to use when we move, though; the supernatural speed and strength aside, poking someone with a stick isn't quite as easy as films might have you believe. Garlic works terribly, I love garlic - marinated garlic is a real treat. Crosses will only invoke snark and laughter, and silver... That's for the dogs.

44 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Most of the time, when a vendor add like that catches my interest, it turns out, that the actual product being sold is not the part of the picture, that got me interested in the first place.

Yeah, I notice this happens a lot. A nice photo with an appealing subject, nice hair, pretty accessories, cool clothes - and it turns out they're trying to sell you the pose or the shape, or even the eyelashes that are barely visible in the picture.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Wooden stakes are fairly unwieldy to use when we move, though; the supernatural speed and strength aside, poking someone with a stick isn't quite as easy as films might have you believe. Garlic works terribly, I love garlic - marinated garlic is a real treat. Crosses will only invoke snark and laughter, and silver... That's for the dogs.

/me pokes Orwar with a sharp stick

16 minutes ago, Orwar said:

and silver... That's for the dogs.

Who you callin a dog... parasite.

wolf.jpg

:D

ETA: Maybe I better clarify before someone gets all bent out of shape. Dog = werewolf, Parasite = vampire. Sort of an old running joke among some RPers. There are other 'nicknames' for vamps  but for werewolves it's almost always dog. So, I'm just poking fun back at Orwar.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

/me pokes Orwar with a sharp stick

How rude.

7 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Who you callin a dog... parasite.

The bipedal fleabags, of course! 😈

• Haha 5

I went to Franks yesterday. Not been for a while and wondered if my new gown was good enough.

Anyway, new experience....chatted up by a guy and his wife. They invited me for drinks.....well, you know me. It was a skybox with a bed......

So we chatted a while and had a drink. Then I made my excuses and left. Maybe they didn't want a threesome. It was never mentioned anyway, but I got bored.

Then a normal encounter on a beach with a naked guy. Initial chat was good. I think he was evaluating me......

He invited me to join him haha!.....they never say home these days. I usually go along with this just for a nosey. So I said to him 'Don't you have any clothes?"

"It was a nude beach" he said

"This never ends well" I said.

"Oh well if that's a thing........" he said

I left....... *shakes head*

Yeah I explore the nude beaches, and most people wear bathing suits. And much of it is innocent fun.......

But then you get the naked guys, the players........ Maybe I should take a break from the adult beaches. :)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Yeah I explore the nude beaches, and most people wear bathing suits. And much of it is innocent fun.......

But then you get the naked guys, the players........ Maybe I should take a break from the adult beaches.

Used to visit nude beaches regulary in the past, kinda fun. Do expect people to be nude there yeah 😛

But there's quite the difference between ordinary nude beaches and those venues that are basically sex beaches. Not that I mind sex on the beach, just not with random strangers.

Back on topic: What started to become a thing lately and botters me quite a bit, is people contacting me in SL (or trough Flickr) assuming that since I post sexy pictures there (even very explicit ones on my alt account) that this means I am open for random strangers to meet up in SL and have steamy sex. I mean its one thing to send a compliment, or even propose creating a "together" pic by other Flickr "erotic artists", but "hey your pics are hot we should meet and have sex" variations are really disturbing and creepy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Used to visit nude beaches regulary in the past, kinda fun. Do expect people to be nude there yeah 😛

But there's quite the difference between ordinary nude beaches and those venues that are basically sex beaches. Not that I mind sex on the beach, just not with random strangers.

Back on topic: What started to become a thing lately and botters me quite a bit, is people contacting me in SL (or trough Flickr) assuming that since I post sexy pictures there (even very explicit ones on my alt account) that this means I am open for random strangers to meet up in SL and have steamy sex. I mean its one thing to send a compliment, or even propose creating a "together" pic by other Flickr "erotic artists", but "hey your pics are hot we should meet and have sex" variations are really disturbing and creepy.

Yes, where does this sense of entitlement come from? No, I am not open for business just because I posted a sexy picture.

Here’s a real world peeve I was just reminded of as I was trying to catch up on the news... auto-play videos on websites. I just want to read the GD article, not be bombarded with a video playing at full blast! So annoying.

• Like 5

In response to all of you (Zeta is just the latest) who are peeved by guys who take sexy clothing/attendance at sex venues/nudity/erotic picture collections as an invitation to proposition them...

I am tempted to berate you.  All of this has me thinking about a diver who puts chum in the water to attract sharks, and is then surprised when one of them bites his leg off.  I mean, you're teasing the wild animals, ladies.  You should know better, and you really should be willing to accept at least some of the blame.

On the other hand, I have to admit that a lot of the wild animals require absolutely NO encouragement.  I have been propositioned while completely and modestly dressed, standing behind a speaker's podium giving a lecture.

As long as your avatar is female, you're going to be propositioned in SL.  Usually, according to the law of averages, in a boring/awkward/rude/ manner, too.  My attitude is, it's always nice to be asked...whether or not you have any intention of accepting is quite another matter.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

In response to all of you (Zeta is just the latest) who are peeved by guys who take sexy clothing/attendance at sex venues/nudity/erotic picture collections as an invitation to proposition them...

I am tempted to berate you.  All of this has me thinking about a diver who puts chum in the water to attract sharks, and is then surprised when one of them bites his leg off.  I mean, you're teasing the wild animals, ladies.  You should know better, and you really should be willing to accept at least some of the blame.

On the other hand, I have to admit that a lot of the wild animals require absolutely NO encouragement.  I have been propositioned while completely and modestly dressed, standing behind a speaker's podium giving a lecture.

As long as your avatar is female, you're going to be propositioned in SL.  Usually, according to the law of averages, in a boring/awkward/rude/ manner, too.  My attitude is, it's always nice to be asked...whether or not you have any intention of accepting is quite another matter.

I hope you wouldn’t take this position in RL, that’s called “blaming the victim”.

• Like 4

Depends on the outcome, Love.

An attractive woman is going to be propositioned.  At this point, there IS no "victim".  Women who act as if they are victims in this situation don't get my sympathy.  Handle it, dearie, or switch to a Tiny avatar.

If she turns him down and he doesn't take "no" for an answer, then yeah, that's on him.

In RL?  I feel the same way.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

So, with that state of mind, your basically saying anyone who wears a bikini to a beach, just for an example, that it is basically their fault if they get cat called, hit on, unwanted advances, or even worse, assaulted that its their fault because of what they may or may not be wearing and covering up. Thats both Sl*t shaming and victim blaming when in reality, like you said (Though I am paraphrasing here) that guys would hit on you even if you were in a nuns outfit. Its not the woman's fault at all, its societies fault for not teaching men to treat women like human beings with respect and dignity instead of objects to be subjected to their sexual wants and needs.

We rarely tell men its their fault that we look at them because they walk around shirtless or with saggy pants, why should women be told to cover up, or that its their fault that they are getting unwanted attention?

Not only is your statement very flawed, its disgusting and if I had the power to do so, I would delete it because although I respect everyone's opinions and encourage everyone to be vocal here when stating their peeves, I won't tolerate mindsets such as what you just stated

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

So, with that state of mind, your basically saying anyone who wears a bikini to a beach, just for an example, that it is basically their fault if they get cat called, hit on, unwanted advances, or even worse, assaulted that its their fault because of what they may or may not be wearing and covering up. Thats both Sl*t shaming and victim blaming when in reality, like you said (Though I am paraphrasing here) that guys would hit on you even if you were in a nuns outfit. Its not the woman's fault at all, its societies fault for not teaching men to treat women like human beings with respect and dignity instead of objects to be subjected to their sexual wants and needs.

We rarely tell men its their fault that we look at them because they walk around shirtless or with saggy pants, why should women be told to cover up, or that its their fault that they are getting unwanted attention?

Not only is your statement very flawed, its disgusting and if I had the power to do so, I would delete it because although I respect everyone's opinions and encourage everyone to be vocal here when stating their peeves, I won't tolerate mindsets such as what you just stated

You are misunderstanding me.  "...anyone who wears a bikini to a beach, just for an example, that it is basically their fault if they get cat called, hit on, unwanted advances..." no, it's not "their fault" and I am not suggesting that they "cover up".  I AM saying that this is human nature, and it's silly to act all offended when it happens. 

I like looking attractive, in SL and (as far as possible) in RL.  I like attention.  I expect and require such attention to be polite.  If it's not, and the giver doesn't accept my "no", then yes, it is HIS FAULT. 

"...or even worse, assaulted that its their fault because of what they may or may not be wearing and covering up."  It is absolutely NOT their fault, nor did I ever say so.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You are misunderstanding me.  "...anyone who wears a bikini to a beach, just for an example, that it is basically their fault if they get cat called, hit on, unwanted advances..." no, it's not "their fault" and I am not suggesting that they "cover up".  I AM saying that this is human nature, and it's silly to act all offended when it happens. 

I like looking attractive, in SL and (as far as possible) in RL.  I like attention.  I expect and require such attention to be polite.  If it's not, and the giver doesn't accept my "no", then yes, it is HIS FAULT. 

"...or even worse, assaulted that its their fault because of what they may or may not be wearing and covering up."  It is absolutely NOT their fault, nor did I ever say so.

Sadly propositions in SL usually are as follows:

• [t=0]hey babe
  • [t=30s]how R U ?
  • [t=120s]Teleport invite to random Adult venue

which is very annoying, or

• Wouldn't you want to become human and join me on the nude beach?

where I do not even know anymore if just way too daring or just socially inept or both...

Edited by Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1452 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.