What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And, while it's not fun to be asked to pay to join a store group, I can understand why they do it.  If I were a merchant, I would be very peeved at all the people who pop in, join my group, grab the group gift, leave the group, and pop out again.  Merchants create these groups to gather a population of people they can advertise to.  If a store wants to charge me money to join their group, I simply weigh up whether I think their merchandise, group gifts, and group discounts will be worth the sign-up fee.

And some charge something to help keep griefers at bay and some even say that in their descriptions.  Sometimes they might issue a credit for the join fee when buying something.

29 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:
40 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Next you’ll tell us that “penultimate” doesn’t mean the “last” thing!

Correct.  It's the next to last thing.  The last thing is (and I know you know it!) the "ultimate".

All of which leads to yet another minor peeve.  I hear more people these days saying "second to last" when they are referring to the "penultimate."  I don't know where that bit of idiom came from, but it's wrong.  The "second to last" item in a sequence should really be the "antepenultimate" -- that is, the one that comes just before the one that is "next to last," which we agree is the penultimate. So, the proper sequence is:

Second to last  = Antepenultimate

Next to last = Penultimate

Last = Ultimate

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

All of which leads to yet another minor peeve.  I hear more people these days saying "second to last" when they are referring to the "penultimate."  I don't know where that bit of idiom came from, but it's wrong.  The "second to last" item in a sequence should really be the "antepenultimate" -- that is, the one that comes just before the one that is "next to last," which we agree is the penultimate. So, the proper sequence is:

Second to last  = Antepenultimate

Next to last = Penultimate

Last = Ultimate

In a sentence:

It is unremarkable to eat the Antepenultimate cookie, still acceptable to eat the Penultimate cookie, but rather greedy to eat the Ultimate cookie.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Akane Nacht said:

In a sentence:

It is unremarkable to eat the Antepenultimate cookie, still acceptable to eat the Penultimate cookie, but rather greedy to eat the Ultimate cookie.

I read once that since it’s rude to eat the last piece of pizza, put the first piece on your head, no one will be rude enough to take it off your head and eat it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I read once that since it’s rude to eat the last piece of pizza, put the first piece on your head, no one will be rude enough to take it off your head and eat it.

We have cheeseheads in my end of the world, but I have never run across a pizzahead.  Must be a Florida thing.  🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One pet peeve of mine is when people who ought to be intelligent (after all they're smart enough to use a computer!) are simply too lazy to actually use their brain when it comes to doing things in-world, and cry "it's too complicated!", yet they're also too lazy to go look for help (like, in the forums or on youtube).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ThorinII said:

One pet peeve of mine is when people who ought to be intelligent (after all they're smart enough to use a computer!) are simply too lazy to actually use their brain when it comes to doing things in-world, and cry "it's too complicated!", yet they're also too lazy to go look for help (like, in the forums or on youtube).

In the real world, consultants call these kinds of people "clients" 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:
7 hours ago, ThorinII said:

In the real world, consultants call these kinds of people "clients" 😉

And grifters call them "marks."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Stores that make you go to their inworld location to get a demo, and the sim is so laggy its physically impossible to shop

Oh and People who charge for demo's, I refuse to shop at those places out of spite

Creators who claim that their product doesn't require a demo, since it's 'fitted to this brand of body'.

Creators who use bad unpacking scripts (come on, the script has one job - there are better free, full-perm scripts than those used by many stores today, that work for both rezzing and wearing the box, both on your avatar and on your HUD).

Creators who proudly brands their product advertisement with MATERIALS ENABLED - using a blank white texture as the specular map.

Gachas.

Creators who shoot their apparel adverts in a third party program (it's everywhere these days, and it doesn't represent how the product is rendered in Second Life - and high quality brands too, who really don't need to fake their advertisements because their products generally do look good in SL!).

Creators who sell an ensemble with a belt, a skirt and a top - but if you want to buy the single colours, the belt is included with the top rather than the skirt (screams).

Events made to cater towards men's fashion in Second Life - whose content, every time, consists to 80% of poses, tattoos and unisex accessories.

Stores with so many textures in them that regardless of which product you try to look at, there's a hundred textures in the queue before you actually load what you're trying to look at.

Creators whose idea of a demo is a mesh textured in a blank white with 'demo' written in red text all over it, as if that is a decent representation of the product (come on - I'm more concerned with texture and materials quality than I am fitting these days, since those are easier to photo-manipulate to look better in an advert!).

Gachas.

Texturing HUDs that actually use a single texture for each option, rather than having made a pallet on one texture (and of course, each button - the size of a pea - has a 1024 x 1024 texture 'cause "high quality, yeah!").

Venues which have an apparatus for pushing avatars off the landing point before they can load, and STILL have to also whisper you to "please move from the landing area".

Venues that perpetuate the vampire-fright by putting up large signs about how biting is strictly forbidden (it really is counter-intuitive to bite strangers, anyway. You never know where they've been!).

Adult venues that presume that dominance and submission is strictly divided by gender.

Shopping events with laggy builds both in terms of triangles, scripts and textures - I'm there to try throwing my money at you, not enjoy the scenery (which isn't going to happen with the lag, anyway!).

Gachas.

People with too many pet peeves.

Profiles that contain no actual information about the individual; in what way does something Gandhi or Horace said, tell me anything about you other than your ability to copy-paste random drivel from BrainyQuotes?

"Fat Pack Only" exclusives.

Gachas.

• Like 3

Prompted by nothing in particular ....

People who arrive in the forums SHOUTING and in high dudgeon because "something isn't working the way I expect it to!"  and then get offended when nobody else seems excited enough to grab torches and pitchforks to join their march.  Version 2.0 of this peeve is the guy who fails to understand that there isn't a blessed thing that we can do about his life-threatening issue because (a) we're not Lindens and (b) it's probably something he screwed up himself.  But he still needs to shout and whine at somebody.

I've been fielding questions for a long time, so I know that this peeve applies to maybe 0.2% of posts.  Those ones are memorable, though.  Aside from rolling my eyes quietly, my own reaction to those few is usually to delete and move on.  Shouting and whining don't put me in the mood to do anything else.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1404 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.