Do you have advanced lighting enabled?

Rya Nitely

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do you have it enabled? ?

Advanced Lighting needs to be enabled to see bumpiness and shininess. These are maps added by the creator, and it gives a more realistic look. Bumpiness (Normal Map) makes the texture look less flat. TShininess (Specular Map) gives a natural lighting effect at different times of the day - very pretty if done well.

As I creator/merchant I am starting to wonder if all my effort to create good bump and shine maps are really worth it. I asked several people and all said they don't have it enabled in preferences, and didn't know what it was.  If it isn't a default setting they don't use it. And most people have settings too low to enable it. So, is it worth it for me to spend ages getting bump map just right and umming and ahing over the lighting effect at different times of the day? Is it worth it when every customer/friend that I asked can't see it? It does make things look prettier though, and nobody (well, nobody I know) uses it or even knows what it is ?.

Whether or not I enable it, depends on how my older PC is running, because for me it does give my FPS a drastic drop.  I have actually been asking myself the same question, so will be watching this thread.  Even without ALM enabled though, I think flat textures themselves have come along so much since I began, that even just those look pretty good now. 

I always have it enabled.

One reason I'm always pushing for content optimization is that in optimized sims I still get 30-60fps despite my computer being nearly 8 years old now. I also occasionally get messages from visitors to sims I've optimized myself, from people who get so much better performance in those sims that they're able to enjoy materials and shadows despite not being able to use those features in other sims.

Thanks all, I will continue making these maps, as I am so much into the habit now anyway. And it does make everything look better when done correctly. Not just clothes but like with wood for instance, it really just brings out the individual planks on a boat etc. Such a great tool and it would be a shame not to use it.

• Like 4

I rarely put it on only when something says it utilizes materials just to see if I'm missing out on anything most of the time I don't notice any difference on that front. If I wanted to have it on for the sake of it I don't notice a dramatic difference in FPS or performance but I do find some things can look a bit poorer in detail not as smooth compared to it off 

Edited by Claireschen Hesten

I usually have atmospheric shaders and advanced lighting turned off. I went to my platform and turned them both on. My throttled frame rate of 25 didn't drop as I expected, and I saw clouds in the sky. Tres cool.

Will I leave them on? doubtful.

Edit: a few minutes later my bf tped in, I turned shaders and advanced lighting back on, and my frame rate dropped to 15 when on and back to 25 when I turned them off, so I'll defo be leaving them turned off.

It's a shame too, because the clouds were pretty.

Edit: tried it again and only dropped 2 FPS with my bf here, but I suspect my computer will struggle, so now i don't know.

Edited by Phorumities
added stuff, added more stuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.