SSP?

Garnet Psaltery

I have kind of a furtive hope that this new squishy pickle etc. will move somewhere to replace the old LH regions.  Where on the grid are they, anyway?

That's probably crazy, but I think you're right, things looking kinda crowded around Jeogeot.  Particularly for a continent whose residents clearly have a LOT of interest in long-distance flight and boating.  Gonna kinda cramp their style; nothing beats open water for a crash-free trip.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 9:10 PM, Quartz Mole said:

As a general remark on terminology,  when we talk about not wanting to "copy paste regions" that means we don't want to try to cut corners by omitting the terraforming and decorating phase and cloning several instances of the same original region or groups of region.    That is, each region on Bellissaria is unique, having been terraformed, parcelled and landscaped individually.

That's a completely distinct concept from developing a region in private on SSPnnn and then cloning it over to Bellissaria when it's ready to go live (as we did with the original release and the Squishy Pickle regions).  

As it happens, since people been wondering about it, 217 and 233 are clones of existing regions we are doing as an experiment to see if cloning an existing region and modifying it to fit saves any time. Some of the problems people have noted with those regions go to show why it doesn't, and why trying to speed things up by cloning existing regions doesn't work well in the end

That's all we're going to say about it.   The regions are not yet complete so any other assumptions at this point are no more than mere conjecture and speculation.  

The new subcontinent is a clone of Pickle Isle Squishy Pickle. I am not so happy, because Pickle Isle Squishy Pickle has a very characteristic shape and it is big. It is not some clones spread out with other regions in between as in the Victorian regions.

But I have to accept that LL has found the formula that let cloning speed up time and abandoned the idea of each region = unique.

Every new development brings more questions.

Edited by Marianne Little
Corrected the name
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Yes, it seems to keep on growing. I think it's cute but also a bit of an oddity in the overall theme. Maybe more to do with snow and ice is coming...? (I don't really believe that lol)

Right now Moonia consits pf several ice-floes and near the cabin hosts the Winter- Swaginator Hunt

image.thumb.jpeg.77708189d6a98fcc5a5e6c23dd3bea46.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bdb53b816918a65e64172a41d127de3f.jpeg

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

zomg, houseboat ... subcontinent?  In that big named area west of Jeogeot.  Not all regions showing on map yet, 2nd pic shows where upper coast of it will be.  Squishy pickle II?

houseboat2.PNG.feb0c01a0f2492c525174b6044204927.PNG

I am starting to worry that LL is overestimating the demand for houseboats. 
Sure, they are popular, but with the addition of the trailers and soon also the Victorians, I'm sure that the demand for the houseboats will greatly diminish.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Fritigern Gothly said:

I am starting to worry that LL is overestimating the demand for houseboats. 
Sure, they are popular, but with the addition of the trailers and soon also the Victorians, I'm sure that the demand for the houseboats will greatly diminish.

Well, it will cut down complaints about "I can't get a houseboat, I want my monies back, and will never be Premium again!"

Wait for the next: "I can't get a Victorian!"

Or: "I got a (Insert type of home here), but I don't like the region. I want a nicer place!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Do you all not think that LL, @Patch Linden, and the LDPW have a plan for what they're doing? None of these areas have been released yet, right, nor are they accessible to the public? With all the work that has been put into making Bellisseria so unique and wonderful, do you really think they're just going to dump a bunch of crap in the sea between the original Bellisseria and Jeogeot and leave it that way?!

LL also knows better than anyone how many premium members are trying for Linden Homes and what themes people want. They have access that we don't, remember? 

Patch and Co. have plans... short-term and long-term. I have no idea what any of them are, but with what has been done in the past 9 months, I don't think they're going to suddenly eff it up now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I love Bellis, but all this stamping is really cheapening it. I really appreciated how every area was so lovingly crafted.  I loved watching moles carve a blank space into an amazing neighborhood. It was truly impressive.

These new islands just feel plopped down. And the cloned Squishy Pickle is something else.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Well, it will cut down complaints about "I can't get a houseboat, I want my monies back, and will never be Premium again!"

Wait for the next: "I can't get a Victorian!"

Or: "I got a (Insert type of home here), but I don't like the region. I want a nicer place!"

Or "I want a trailer/townhome/Victorian, but all I can get are these stupid houseboats!", that one is going to annoy me immensely.

As for the region complaint, all I can do is laugh in their face and point at the knowledge base where it says that they can switch homes 5 times in 24 hours and tell them to effing read.

• Haha 1

I’m a snob enough to not want to live in a clone stamped area. I liked that each region in Bellisseria was unique enough where you could guess which region a home is on, based on the surroundings. I would love a houseboat connected to land, near homes and community areas. It is a bit overwhelming around the HB pickle area because if all looks the same. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

The new subcontinent is a clone of Pickle Isle....

I guess you mean the Squishy Pickle ?? 

That was on SSP originally meant to be in the south west of Bellisseria ... at least that is where they BUILT it

... then transported it to the noth west of Belli  ... maybe that it came up now ias a duplicate in the south east s a mistake?

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Thanks 1

Hmm... :/ I'm already afraid in seeing lots of cloning going on, how much will this go on? Is this the future of new Linden homes expansion? Already all (or almost all) the new Linden home regions and region groups near Jeogeot are clones from some other regions. This seems like a goodbye to the idea that each region would be individually designed. Is there some urgent sudden need in getting all the needed Linden home regions done fast? I know that there is need for lots of houses; but still why to ruin something (individuality in looks) with extreme hurry?

If there will be lots of cloning then there will be less interest for exploring places in Linden homes regions. For me exploring new different looking regions is one of the very interesting things to do in SL. Excessive cloning will kill part of that fun.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Do you all not think that LL, @Patch Linden, and the LDPW have a plan for what they're doing? None of these areas have been released yet, right, nor are they accessible to the public? With all the work that has been put into making Bellisseria so unique and wonderful, do you really think they're just going to dump a bunch of crap in the sea between the original Bellisseria and Jeogeot and leave it that way?!

LL also knows better than anyone how many premium members are trying for Linden Homes and what themes people want. They have access that we don't, remember? 

Patch and Co. have plans... short-term and long-term. I have no idea what any of them are, but with what has been done in the past 9 months, I don't think they're going to suddenly eff it up now. 

Isn't this thread about speculation? They certainly keep our interest up. And exitement. "what fill their hearts the mouth float out".

So far, it is not evil, it is a bit of juicy gossip and gasps.

I remember they suddenly moved Pickle Isle. I am not surprised if they move some of this newness.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Isn't this thread about speculation? They certainly keep our interest up. And exitement. "what fill their hearts the mouth float out".

So far, it is not evil, it is a bit of juicy gossip and gasps.

I remember they suddenly moved Pickle Isle. I am not surprised if they move some of this newness.

I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about cloning when they have absolutely no idea what the final version released to the public is going to look like. 

You quoted @Quartz Mole from several months ago, which I read as an attempt to call him out and force him to either defend his words, or trick him into revealing something about what is happening in those areas. 

Speculation is one thing - assumptions are something entirely different. 

1) The number of people participating in these forums is a super, super small percentage of the SL population and even a super, super small percentage of Premium members.

2)  Back when Belli first went live and even long after the Squishy Pickle was released there were people coming here demanding that they just clone the regions so that they could get houses/houseboats faster.  

Given both of those, while many of us might be saddened that a lot of cloning is happening, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of Premium members will not care.  And LL needs to please the majority of their Premium members in order to keep them as Premium.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
typo
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

1) The number of people participating in these forums is a super, super small percentage of the SL population and even a super, super small percentage of Premium members.

2)  Back when Belli first went live and even long after the Squishy Pickle was released there were people coming here demanding that they just clone the regions so that they could get houses/houseboats faster.  

Given both of those, while many of us might be saddened that a lot of cloning is happening, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of Premium members will not care.  And LL needs to please the majority of their Premium members in order to keep them as Premium.

I agree. I don't think most will mind some cloning if it means they get a house faster and can be done with the refreshing game. It will probably look less cloned when you actually travel round than it does from above - houses will be different styles according to what owners like, plus their own bit of landscaping they add like trees etc. And also there are probably members who won't want to explore the entire continent and so may never come across the clone of their region. In the face of demand (and potential to lose those who got Premium because of the new homes and now can't get one) I think it's the right move. I think the places are still gonna look awesome as they have to date, so it's a minor compromise in my opinion.

• Like 2

Looking at VictoriBell (or VickyBell as some in chat are calling it), I'm not all that concerned about cloning within it.  From what we see at the Expo, the theme features pretty formal landscaping; that would lend an air of uniformity even if every region were unique.

I'm more concerned about the 9-region cloned "clumps" off the coast, which look identical to each other, and the entire squishy pickle clone.  Considering how vast the SL map is, I find myself wishing these whole cloned subcontinents could be more physically isolated from each other.

Another topic: Let's keep in mind that the Moles are not Lindens.  So the Moles have/are creating lovely unique regions, they clearly have been asked to do so.  And the Lindens pay for those creations.  What the Lindens DO with the finished works after they're created is up to them. So yes, a mole may strive to make unique regions.  If LL clones them, it does not diminish the beauty of what those moles accomplished.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

Yes, I expect them to leave it that way. I think they might move a few things a little bit (they already moved one area over a bit to add more buffer space), but I don't think they're going to suddenly delete these regions and replace them with unique custom regions. It's clear that cloning is the new plan. This is far too large scale to be a prank or something like that.

About all we can hope is that cloning is not the new plan for all the new themes. I hope this might be enough houses to reduce the pressure and let them work on unique new areas. But it won't change that the clones look here to stay.

I'm not surprised in the sense that it's all about money in the end. Customers wanted clones and they look to be getting those clones. Not being surprised by it doesn't mean I have to like it though.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about cloning when they have absolutely no idea what the final version released to the public is going to look like. 

You quoted @Quartz Mole from several months ago, which I read as an attempt to call him out and force him to either defend his words, or trick him into revealing something about what is happening in those areas. 

Speculation is one thing - assumptions are something entirely different. 

If you read it like a call out, I can delete it. But I don't think it is evil or malacious, to point out that a policy or practice changes. The truth is never wrong or right. It is LL who runs SL as they see best, and it is in our own interest that SL is going well. LL is a business and they must run it as a business. I documented the change instead of saying "I remember a post where this Linden or that Mole once said..."

I am not a vassal and can say that the cloning of the whole Squishy Pickle was surprising. I see  posts after you who hasn't seen that yet. They think I talk about the Victorian regions. It is common that people miss a post in such a long thread. I was also typing wrong first, and called it Pickle Isle, something I went back and corrected.

So we now have two Squishy Pickle. Maybe one moves to another part on the map. We shall just wait and see.

Squishy Pickle 2 was not something I expected. Is it important for my Second Life? No. Do I want to discuss it? Yes. It is a very strong shape. As others say, on ground or sea, they will not notice.

It is true that many complained several times about why LL could not complain the regions so they could get homes faster. This was repeated in other threads, that LL would keep regions unique. If they change policy because they have to, that is their show. They do it the way they see best, and I have no problems with it.

Edited by Marianne Little

It might not have been totally obvious, but my comments about the cloning and whether or not the majority of Premiums would even notice or care, were about all of the cloning that is happening -- the cloning of regions within South Belli and the large cloned region groups, including the cloned Squishy Pickle batch.

I truly do not think that most Premiums will care about any of the cloning, as long as they get the type of home that they want without too much hassle.

Truth be told, I think they could have gotten away with "some" cloning from the very beginning and we wouldn't have complained.  The original Linden Homes were major clones, regions within the continents and the continents also.  The biggest thing that was needed were updated homes on plots that gave you room for landscaping, along with an updated covenant to allow add-ons and skyboxes, and some really nice landscaping and other features.  If they had created 10, 20, 30 or so regions and then randomly cloned them in a non-uniform way, like VickyBell, and done so from the very beginning, I think we would have still loved it all.  

We have simply been spoiled with hundreds of unique hand designed regions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, xrockinfree said:

They just want to build up the suspense as much as possible :) Or there's still finishing touches they're working on that we can't see yet.

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Yes it can. The region being cammed into needs to communicate with everyone camming into it. It's not as bad as those avatars actually being in the region, but it's not a non-existent load either.

Child-agents, as they are called, do pull load from a simulator.  The gap of offline regions is mostly to ensure we have a smooth running work environment as we prepare everything for launch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6